Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did Lady Macbeth or Macbeth do the actual killing?

by Anonymousreply 2508/25/2013

There is no actual killing. It's a play.

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2013

depends on how you stage it r1

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2013

Having the misfortune of being forced to play Macbeth in a ridiculous high school mock trial I can say with certainty that Macbeth did the stabbing. However if he would not have done it were it not for the nagging of the bitch he was married to. She was the original definition of batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 308/23/2013

That's what I thought r1, but how does she get blood on her hands then? (literally I mean)

by Anonymousreply 408/23/2013

It was a dream r4. She dreamed she had blood on her hands while sleepwalking.

by Anonymousreply 508/23/2013

Macbeth freaks out after the stabbing and she takes over framing Duncan's chamberlains for the murder. She gets blood on her hands when she's planting the bloody daggers on them.

by Anonymousreply 608/23/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 708/23/2013

but in the Patrick Stewart version she literally comes back with blood all over her. Was that just that director's interpretation?

by Anonymousreply 808/23/2013

R8, I'd say probably so. As Lady Macbeth says to her husband that "a little water could clear them of this deed."

In any event, Batshit finally offs herself out of guilt and Macduff decapitates Macbeth for his crimes, (he also had Duncan's son and Macduff's entire family killed.) and walks around with Macbeth's head.

by Anonymousreply 908/23/2013

Lady Macbeth had planned to kill Duncan, since she feared that her husband was too full of the "milk of human kindness" to do the deed. Her plan was to get the guards drunk ( drugged) and kill the king. However she said that he looked like her father when he slept so she couldn't do it. Macbeth killed Duncan and was supposed to leave the daggers on the sleeping bodies of the guards to frame them. But, he forgot to do that and returned with the daggers. She, realizing that the guards must be framed, took the daggers and placed them on the guards. Returning, her hands were bloody," My hands are of your color..." It is not a director's choice, but an integral part of the plot, since she hallucinates in Act V that she sees the blood on her hands, and spills the beans to the doctor and her nurse.

by Anonymousreply 1008/23/2013

Thanks r10! That was really helpful. I rewatched those scenes of after the murder and now get it.

by Anonymousreply 1108/23/2013

Hope you fail your exam, OP!

Let me guess, you're a 21 year old twink who's been out twerking to Lady Gaga's newest crapfest all night instead of actually doing yourself a favor and reading one of the greatest plays ever written.

Future of America folks. Future of America.

by Anonymousreply 1208/23/2013

I think it's nothing but good when anybody is searching for answers about Shakespeare for any reason.

by Anonymousreply 1308/23/2013

[quote]reading one of the greatest plays ever written

plays were written to be seen, not read

by Anonymousreply 1408/23/2013

It was Donalbain. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 1508/23/2013

Which filmed production of Macbeth is the best? Polanski (1971)? Orson Wells (1948)? BBC with Nicol Williamson? (1983)? Patrick Stewart (2010)? or something less well known?

by Anonymousreply 1608/24/2013

Polanski's is odd, Wells' kind of dull.

Stewart's is really good. I love how Lady M. is kind of a hot rocker/goth type chic. Makes it more believable why he listens to her and is so devoted.

Makes him seem stronger too and not just some dumb husband listening to a frau.

by Anonymousreply 1708/24/2013

They're making a new one with Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard.

by Anonymousreply 1808/24/2013

and Natile Portman was replaced by Cotillard, (yeah but why?)

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2013

I got an easy a plus in English with my, literary theory that Lady Macbeth was one of the w eird sisters... you know those b****** at the beginning of the play... who stir up all the shit that starts all the trouble with their crazy predictions in the first place. Shakespeare never clearly explained any motive for the weird sisters to approach me back with the predictions so unless they had something to gain from it why did they do it? Therefore Lady Macbeth with either one of the witches or the 4th weirdsister.

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2013

^"me back" is auto corrected Macbeth... luckily this is being graded on spelling or grammar LOL

by Anonymousreply 2108/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 2208/25/2013

Kenneth Branagh is staging this on Broadway next year.

by Anonymousreply 2308/25/2013

R12 fools no one by turning every topic into a Gaga attack, as she craps all over herself pretending to be defending the Western Canon and the Cause of Civilization.

What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2408/25/2013

[quote]Kenneth Branagh is staging this on Broadway next year.

Bway? I think it is at BAM in Brooklyn.

(why do some many productions go there instead of BWAy? Blanchett in Streetcar, Spacey in Richard III)

by Anonymousreply 2508/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!