Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What say you, tasteful friends?

I think I would have to describe the Brooklyn home of these two boys as "a little busy."

by Anonymousreply 9009/09/2013

I didn't know Kirstie Alley had a place in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 108/22/2013

Even my fussy old grandmother would be horrified by the density of knickknacks and gewgaws, and she collected ceramic bird figurines!

Still, the place looks so cheerful I can forgive the clutter.

by Anonymousreply 208/22/2013

Bring me my smelling salts...

by Anonymousreply 308/22/2013

Did a bag lady explode inside the house?

by Anonymousreply 408/22/2013

It's like they had a photo of Cockgobbler's hot pink gingham shirt and a teal belt and said "Let's out-gay this shit!"

by Anonymousreply 508/22/2013

The vomit school of interior design.

by Anonymousreply 608/22/2013

Marry me, R4.

by Anonymousreply 708/22/2013

Wait, on further inspection, the dysentery school.

by Anonymousreply 808/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 908/22/2013

oh sweet Jesus. It's hideous

by Anonymousreply 1008/22/2013

The chandelier pulls the batshitcrazy together.

by Anonymousreply 1108/22/2013

I think they are gay - and short!

by Anonymousreply 1208/22/2013

I managed to hold it together until I got to the guest bedroom with the turquoise foo dogs, the pillows from the "Madcap Cottage pillow collection" (!), the banner from Queen Elizabeth's coronation and the "Wallis Simpson-ish Chinoiseire etagere," which looks like Joan Steffend spray-painted some milk cartons yellow.

by Anonymousreply 1308/22/2013

"Jason and John wanted to create a cooling sanctuary in their master bathroom, and the penny tiles are perfection. They are also terrifically dynamic and keep the eye engaged when you drop the soap."

by Anonymousreply 1408/22/2013

Two observations: the tiny glimpse of the kitchen suggests that it might actually border on tolerable, but no better than that, and in the very last picture the guy on the left looks like he might have a nice dick. Every other picture is horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 1508/22/2013

The bathrooms are OK but good GOD! Who the fuck likes that much floral?

And they PAINTED the herringbone wood floors in the living and dining room.

THe house has sooo much potential, but too much is too much.

Why do people live like this? It's not cute - it's precious and they're a laughingstock.

by Anonymousreply 1608/22/2013

I don't know, I sort of like it. It is very cheerful.

by Anonymousreply 1708/22/2013

We are all about F words, frisky, fabulous, fun to be around!

by Anonymousreply 1808/22/2013

I suppose they are due a small for their nod to Oliver Messel's set decoration in "Indiscreet" (1958); but an Easter egg palette for framed picture mattes doesn't cut it.

The house itself might be nice --architecturally-- but the hideous Palm Beach/Lilly Pulitzer colors and fabrics, coupled with the fact that there is scarcely one nice object in the whole place, and aggravated by the dime store kitsch look of every fucking little thing adds up to an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 1908/22/2013

As an aside, I miss the periodic sniping at the NYSD. Ah, the exploits of Sommers Farkash, Muffie Potter Aston and that blond, orange faced Benedict guy.

by Anonymousreply 2008/22/2013

I'm trying to imagine all of that stuff in an apartment.

The Mapplethorpe was a gift from his parents?

Poor little cute.

by Anonymousreply 2108/22/2013

The garden looks more than pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 2208/22/2013

It's like Pee Wee's playhouse.

by Anonymousreply 2308/22/2013

It looks like a house that was decorated by one of my ancient great-aunts. Very, very "old lady."

by Anonymousreply 2408/22/2013

[quote]As an aside, I miss the periodic sniping at the NYSD. Ah, the exploits of Sommers Farkash, Muffie Potter Aston and that blond, orange faced Benedict guy.

Our regular NYSD correspondent, Didi von Cuntington, seems to have departed us for good a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2508/22/2013

Still not strong enough...

by Anonymousreply 2608/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 2708/22/2013

"It's like Pee Wee's playhouse"

Exactly the two things I did as I saw each room: Pee on myself a little and then say "Wee!" as I moved to the next area photo.

by Anonymousreply 2808/22/2013

Satan certainly has a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 2908/22/2013

In my minciest of mincy mouse dreams with hot chocolate while watching that old 1930's mouse cartoon with the little mouse in his furnished mouse hole, and eating bon bons in a silk caftan, I do not think I could make up a more disturbing dreamscape to do these things in.

Why? Just WHY? They could of dialed it back just 20% from what looks like Pee Wee's playhouse, if Pee Wee was abducted by gay British pirates with hoarding issues.

The house could of been amazing. Guys, go to Home Depot, pick up a few boxes and built guys and pack about half that stuff up and get some paint.

by Anonymousreply 3008/23/2013

[quote]med picture mattes doesn't cut it.

The house itself might be nice --architecturally-- but the hideous Palm Beach/Lilly Pulitzer colors and fabrics, coupled with the fact that there is scarcely one nice object in the whole place, and aggravated by the dime store kitsch look of every fucking little thing adds up to an abomination.

Yep. WASP Old Guard tryhard fail.

by Anonymousreply 3108/23/2013

Why does NYSD always show ten photos of the same view? Are they afraid to edit or are they trying to sear the ugly into our brains?

by Anonymousreply 3208/23/2013

It is over-the-top hideous. I like some of the individual pieces that they have, but it is almost impossible to appreciate any of them because they are hidden from view by all the surrounding clutter.

It is a talent to be able to take seemingly disparate and incongruous items and styles and blend them together effortlessly so that when you take it all in you come away with the feeling: "that works." Well, it is a talent these two sadly lack.

by Anonymousreply 3308/23/2013

I honestly think I may vomit.

by Anonymousreply 3408/23/2013

This Original Lifetime presentation of Warren Adler's [italic]War of the Roses[/italic]

is brought to you by Ballards,

and by Mackenzie-Childs,

and by the makers of Zoloft.

by Anonymousreply 3508/23/2013

Mental illness has many forms. LOL

by Anonymousreply 3608/23/2013

"We're interesting!!"

by Anonymousreply 3708/23/2013

so manly!

by Anonymousreply 3808/23/2013

girls, open up up a booth in an antique mall already. it doesn't all need to come home and into your house.

by Anonymousreply 3908/23/2013

Kitsch overload. Not good :/

It has a pretty and perfect delicacy to it that COULD be good but there is just TOO MUCH stuff going on that it just ends up making me feel ill. Elegance = less is more.

by Anonymousreply 4008/23/2013

I'm picturing these two shopping. If all that energy could be redirected toward feeding starving children, what a wonderful would it would truly be.

by Anonymousreply 4108/23/2013

New Yorkers, they are kinda on your keep these two corralled at the flea markets.

by Anonymousreply 4208/23/2013

To say they don't know how to mix patterns is an understatement. No thought given to color or pattern scale. And yes, too much trash. I tend to like out there interiors. Like Diana Vreeland says, it's better to have bad taste than no taste. But I fear all the clutter and patterns is camouflage for what really is no taste.

by Anonymousreply 4308/23/2013

they need to work more on understanding scale and proportion and less on pattern. it could all work, if there were some large scale pieces inserted in the mix... nothing makes small rooms seem smaller than a bunch of daintily scaled pieces.

by Anonymousreply 4408/23/2013

There's a joyless desperation to it, and I think that's the worst thing about it that can be said.

by Anonymousreply 4508/23/2013

MUCH less would be MUCH more.

by Anonymousreply 4608/23/2013

I'm trying to picture living day to day among all that crap. They must knock something over or off the walls every time they turn around. And those poor pugs; they must never be able to play or get comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 4708/23/2013

It looks like a giant flea market stall. Were there little price tags on everything?

by Anonymousreply 4808/23/2013

Yes, it's what they like so good for them. However -

They've tried much, much too hard. They're desperate for the attention and you get the impression much has been done (and cluttered) for the sole purpose of getting some sort of magazine attention.

They live in some isolated area of Brooklyn, likely unable or just unwilling to live anywhere else, so they decorate their home not with their own grown-up, intelligent tastes, but with flea market finds and absurdity; like two little flamboyant boys who've been given access to grandmother's storage shed and left to play house for three hours.

I'm doubting this place truly brings them joy. It's been a project for attention getting. They've staged it and now they have the attention they've been craving. If we could somehow peer into the place a year from now, something tells me we'd see something a lot more toned down because, after all, two middle aged men live there.

by Anonymousreply 4908/23/2013

Why are New Yorkers so hell-bent on displaying their --as the HGTV designers would say-- "sense of whimsy"?

I think it's some misguided armor against being compared to even halfway serious interiors -- and to even halfway serious money. Tart up your gaff with goofy, "ironic" bits of colorful gimcrack and it somehow makes you a bold adventurer, an individualist -- never mind how many of your fellow New Yorkers of the comfortable but far from rich white middle classes having filled their magpie nests with equally awful bits of shiny dreck, objet trouvés objets "rescued" from the streets and charity shops by an oh so ironic "eye."

It's pitiful to try so very hard and fail even harder.

by Anonymousreply 5008/23/2013

R50 hon?, to quote r49, you're trying much, much too hard.

by Anonymousreply 5108/23/2013

Style mavens with hoarders aesthetic...breathtaking!

Animal prints, where are the animal prints?

by Anonymousreply 5208/23/2013

[quote] I’m from Tampa, Florida

by Anonymousreply 5308/23/2013

John dresses to the right.

by Anonymousreply 5408/23/2013

Wow! I used to work with John but haven't seen him for 10 years. Nice guy but a bit standoffish. He's really aged!

by Anonymousreply 5508/23/2013

I like the first bathroom. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 5608/23/2013

How do they keep everything dusted? The cleaning staff must be there 24/7 working over every little tiny thing.

That aside, the purplish carpet on the stairs is migraine-inducing.

by Anonymousreply 5708/23/2013

The "Master" bath has no exterior ventilation. One stop at a taco cart and the entire third floor is polluted.

by Anonymousreply 5808/23/2013

[quote]Why does NYSD always show ten photos of the same view?

Well, it looks like these guys only have about 4 rooms worth showing, so the editors need to stretch it out.

by Anonymousreply 5908/23/2013

Jesus, R58, that thought just made my gorge rise.

by Anonymousreply 6008/23/2013

I see what they're going for but they're not doing it right. There's just too much of .... everything! Too much colour, too much stuff, too much furniture, too many patterns. Just too much too much.

It's a difficult look to pull off. You have to have a discerning eye and a good sense of taste. You can't just pack your house with all kinds of English-looking crap and expect it to work.

And it's not quirky enough to be considered fun. It's just bad.

by Anonymousreply 6108/23/2013

What are the odds that two color-blind guys meet and fall in love??

by Anonymousreply 6208/23/2013

Is this supposed to sell their design business?

by Anonymousreply 6308/23/2013

well, i will give the article credit for pointing out a little slice of england in brooklyn that i never knew existed. i'm actually interested in seeing that street. i am a lifelong new yorker and had never heard of it.

as for the boys, that is one the most tragic decorating jobs i have ever seen. it's like the outcome of a lonely old lady's nightmarish fantasy of turning her home into her image of a little girl's playhouse.

their house is grotesque.

by Anonymousreply 6408/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 6508/23/2013

R64, same here. Those little houses are adorable and I've never seen or heard of them.

My guess is that it's barely in Brooklyn and may be in some very far off corner that isn't near much of anything which is why it's escaped being commonly known.

It looks really charming but yeah, it looks silly and not something I would be particularly willing to share with all of New York. Then again, I suppose they're very proud of it and all the little treasures they've carried off to display there.

by Anonymousreply 6608/23/2013

Wrong R66. They live in Ditmas Park, a very hipsterish area of Brooklyn. Lots of pretty homes there, reminds me a bit of San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 6708/23/2013

Actually, it's Prospect Lefferts Gardens. Not at all hidden away. Just take the the B or Q trains to Ptospect Park and you're a block away from their street.

by Anonymousreply 6808/23/2013

The only tolerable space is the backyard.

These two dowagers will have a hard time dividing up all that crap when they split

Everything in that place looks like it came from the tragic flea market on 6th Avenue at 26th Street...thank goodness it is no longer.

by Anonymousreply 6908/23/2013

"We had a moment — we were at Cipriani having dinner one night and I thought, I’d rather be at home cooking and eating a grilled cheese sandwich. And I was also at the Costume Institute Gala, disco dancing with Linda Evangelista next to me and I was like, “You know what? Arriveé! Time to go.”

Well, the decor does a good job reflecting their insufferable personalities.

by Anonymousreply 7008/23/2013

what's sorts of people are friends with people like this? they just seem so horrible.

by Anonymousreply 7108/23/2013

I'm surprised their eyes haven't committed suicide yet.

by Anonymousreply 7208/23/2013

kind of a shame there isn't a comments section underneath that article. would have been great fun.

by Anonymousreply 7308/23/2013

DL posters are so malicious!

by Anonymousreply 7408/23/2013

Its an abortion, OP. An ABORTION!

by Anonymousreply 7508/23/2013

I think it's quite stimulating and would love to cook and/or eat at that place. Very busy, but it seems to make them happy. To each their own. It would be a bitch to clean though... Go on guys and keep enjoying life to the fullest...

by Anonymousreply 7608/23/2013

[quote]all kinds of English-looking crap

Don't try and blame this one on us!

by Anonymousreply 7708/23/2013

It's a heinosity.

Like a bag of Jelly-Beans on LSD.

by Anonymousreply 7808/23/2013

I'm very grateful that I will never be invited to sleep in that guest bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 7908/23/2013

Nevermind the decor. They serve Popeye's biscuits at dinner parties! And one of them has the gall to say "Everyone loves MY Popeye's biscuits"!!!

by Anonymousreply 8008/23/2013

I wasn't award that "hideously eclectic" was actually a designing style.

by Anonymousreply 8108/23/2013

The house has great bones. Perfectly proportioned home, especially for two people. Unfortunately the human-scale charm is lost among all the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 8208/23/2013

Ditmas Park is a little gem of a neighborhood and well worth a trip to look around. I've lived in NYC for two decades and I wasn't familiar with it either until a couple that I'm friends with bought a house out there three years ago. It's just a charming, safe and quiet neighborhood and you almost can't believe you're in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 8308/23/2013

It's all so masculine!

by Anonymousreply 8408/23/2013

I can't believe anyone has anything good to say about a bathroom that looks like Indochine in the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 8508/23/2013

"The house has great bones."

But the decorators do not.

by Anonymousreply 8608/23/2013

The epitome of stereotypical gay interior designers. All that gaudy grandeur and the low-class slobs are wearing jeans.

Aside from the overtly fruity decor, I kept looking to see a photo of their TOP for these two nelly bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 8708/23/2013

I would be embarrassed if it were a knickknack shop run by the OCD Psychosis Guild, much less a residence.

At some point faux and wrongheaded Anglophilic cheerfulness takes on the same qualities personified by Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter books. One expects the boys basting a caramel-covered twink in the oven as a damned little Cerberus Pomeranian dances about up on its hind legs, sounding like Ann Miller.

And they're SO proud.

by Anonymousreply 8808/23/2013

A magazine dedicate to flea market décor last year had a similar photo spread. One photo is not used in the link provided. It's of the library (?). It is hideous. There is not a bit of charm or beauty to it at all. Basically lots of brown with gaudy, tacky stuff: a plastic Buddha with a tacky woman's vintage hat mixed with a lame mid-century Japanese print and very faux English inspired touches. It. Doesn't. Work. Just like most of the apartment. Too overdone with no focus. Yuck. Like a flea market on steroids that is attempting to be high style.

The painted wood floors are bright and upbeat, as is the painted and papered ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 8909/09/2013

Gross. Grandma chic is not cool.

by Anonymousreply 9009/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!