Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Losing belly weight

Any secrets? I'm 49 and having trouble getting rid of my belly. When I was young I could quit eating and lose, now not so much.

by Anonymousreply 5308/25/2013

Exact same promblem. Seemed to have occured overniight. Oy

by Anonymousreply 108/21/2013

Same here.

by Anonymousreply 208/21/2013

Is this higher gut fat or just love handles and a fupa?

Aside from "eat less carbs, exercise more", hanging leg lifts really help and don't stress your neck or give you that callous on the ass crack.

Once upon a time I'd tell you to do pushups, but our exercise freak gets upset. I just like seeing triceps.

by Anonymousreply 308/21/2013

Wellbutrin Rx.

by Anonymousreply 408/21/2013

Definitely higher gut fat and not just love handles.

by Anonymousreply 508/21/2013

is r3 speaking english?

by Anonymousreply 608/21/2013

That sounds more like resistance strength training, R5, with a trainer.

by Anonymousreply 708/21/2013

OP, Do you really want to know the truth? The fab personal trainer, that helped Jillian Michaels get started, said almost everyone uses a diet aid.

I hate soda, fast food, almost all forms of fat, drink very little, and still began gaining weight. Why? Because I was injured and ill, unable to exercise as normal, and suddenly started craving carbs and sugar to compensate.

Yesterday was the 1st day that I am no longer starving, or even hungry, and have already lost 3 lbs. My desire for carbs and sugar has drastically dropped; my energy level and thus my ability to exercise has skyrocketed. General Practitioner says avg expected wt loss is 15-20 lbs mo, as long as I can keep exercising.

I know many on DL will dis me. Sorry, but my metabolism was totally and completely screwed up, and this works. Phentermine, topiramate, vit B-12 (500 mg) and Alph-Lipore Acid (100 mg) and continued good nutrition. Plus I now have enough energy to go back to speed walking several miles a week and swimming laps.

The thought of consuming sugar, fat, and a lot of carbs also now makes me sick. Will let you know how it goes. No dissing please.

by Anonymousreply 808/21/2013

Eat lots of yogurt, preferably Greek yogurt. Studies show that dieters that eat 3 servings of yogurt per day are more likely to lose belly fat than dieters who don't.

My weight-loss strategy was to eat a serving of yogurt before breakfast, lunch and dinner and it did wonders to control my intake while keeping me feeling full.

by Anonymousreply 908/21/2013

Greek yogurt gives me gas

by Anonymousreply 1008/21/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1108/21/2013

cut out sugar, flour, and wheat.

by Anonymousreply 1208/21/2013

Talk more about fupas -- fupae (plural)? What is it called in the male of the species? Same thing, only 'Fat Upper Penis Area'? So annoying and embarrassing. Makes my pee-pee look so . . . wee-wee. Waaaaaaaaaahhhh.

by Anonymousreply 1308/21/2013

Fuck that exercise and diet shit! Lipo the lard away.

by Anonymousreply 1408/21/2013

Me, three, OP.

My legs and arms are in shape but my belly is just round. Not really love handles but a FUPA.

It's annoying - especially since I exercise daily and love vegetables. Maybe I should go back to eating yogurt. I like yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 1508/21/2013

anxiety is good....I had a really nerve wracking thing happen in May and I lost all my belly fat during it.

by Anonymousreply 1608/21/2013

Lipo is not a SUBSTITUTE for diet and exercise. It is like a kickstarter. It gets you going, it motivates you. When you look in the mirror, you think, "I'm going to go to the gym now. I'm going to watch what I eat".

Lipo gets off fat that you can't diet or exercise away. But if you do not have good habits afterwards, the fat will come back somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 1708/21/2013

Surgery. Liposuction on the stomach and hips, umm bum lift, tit lift, lose a rib.

by Anonymousreply 1808/21/2013

Really, R11? That's interesting. Are you going to do it?

by Anonymousreply 1908/21/2013

R12, Cutting out sugar, flour, and wheat doesn't work if that's what your body is craving because it's completely out of balance, and trying to self-medicate through food/serotonin.

by Anonymousreply 2008/21/2013

Actually, a brother and his wife went gluten-free. He's lost 10 pounds over the last three months.

by Anonymousreply 2108/21/2013

After you quit eating them, don't the urges for sugar and gluten go away after a few days?

by Anonymousreply 2208/21/2013

Yup, I lost 10 pounds within 10 days after giving up sugar, wheat, and flour, and I still ate all the meat, fruits, and veggies I wanted. I've never felt better.

by Anonymousreply 2308/21/2013

What about wine R23? Could you give up those three and still have some vino or a cocktail?

by Anonymousreply 2408/21/2013

R25, 1 glass of wine per day, but you will have to cut down on eating as much fruit.

by Anonymousreply 2508/21/2013

When I reduce carbs, I lose from my belly.

by Anonymousreply 2608/21/2013

R8, doesn't seem like "fucked metabolism" (there's no real evidence for it ime) so much as simply reducing calorie intake compared to what you burn.

Carbs increase endorphins and feel good and are addictive. High calorie too. It doesn't matter if you're not eating fast food or sodas: you WILL gain weight if you simply eat more than you burn and there are a host of other lovely foods that are not considered junk food.

by Anonymousreply 2708/21/2013

R8, no physician is just going to prescribe an anti-convulsant and mood stabilizer just because it has a novel side effect of appetite suppression. I know two people who took it for migraine prophylaxis and had to stop taking it because it made them feel forgetful and disorientated. I took it as an add-on to my antidepressant therapy because it has a mood stabilizing effect and I had to quit for the same reason. They nickname it 'dope-amax' because of this.

by Anonymousreply 2808/21/2013

R28, I don't know if "fucked metabolism" is the proper medical term. In my particular case, there have been many occasions that I was physically unable to exercise for a period of time due to recovering from a series of car accidents, soft tissue injuries, badly pulled muscles, severe blisters, hiking injuries etc. I agree that carbs increase endorphins. If one does not feel well, they are often easier to cook and store, without regular trips for groceries.

Under normal circumstances, I do not crave carbs and easily lose weight without even trying. This last injury/illness has made me very frustrated.

Rather than continue to gain weight, while still being very hungry, I tried what I was told everyone on the weight loss programs do. Not only have I lost 3 lbs my 1st day, without being at all hungry, I'm far, far more energetic. I'm back to speed walking a couple of miles daily. It's worth it just not to feel exhausted all of the time and in pain.

I'm still not at all hungry. It took me all day to finish breakfast. I cooked a healthy dinner, and don't feel like eating it. Normally I'd be ravenous all day.

Sorry this is so long. I don't know how to condense my writing sometimes. I'm just trying to share my knowledge; it was a poster on DL that first suggested weight loss innovations to me.

by Anonymousreply 2908/21/2013

right, R29.. I'm wondering how long R8 has been on this. I'm sceptical of people who roll up and say 'this works!' when they've only been doing it for a short time. The real thing would be finding something that works well long-term.

by Anonymousreply 3008/21/2013

10 lbs in 10 days is water weight, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3108/21/2013

Ok well, R30, what you're talking about is not metabolism.

You're basically talking about not being able to exercise (and therefore burn off calories) and about cravings for carbs. That's not metabolism - what you're talking about is the simple calories in vs. calories burnt equation.

How long have you been doing this?

by Anonymousreply 3208/21/2013

[quote]Alph-Lipore Acid (100 mg)

R8, I'm quite certain that you meant alpha lipoic acid.

by Anonymousreply 3308/21/2013

R31, R32, R33, I will keep you posted, if you wish. I am hyper sensitive to all meds, as I've participated in double blind research studies for pain in the past. Some may not believe this but I instantly went from beyond starving and exhausted to not at all hungry and energetic after one dosage of all 4 meds. Yes I'm familiar with the placebo effect. Doesn't work on me. Took me a few hours to consume a piece of whole grain toast for dinner.

Was 3 lbs less this morning, and then went on a very long early am walk. Been a very long time since I've done that. Again, it took me all day to finish a light, nutritious breakfast. I'm never not starving.

by Anonymousreply 3408/21/2013

R34, Thank you for your correction; must be more careful with my editing. Are you very familiar with this drug? Apparently it's used to treat a variety of painful symptoms, without the downside of competitors.

by Anonymousreply 3508/21/2013

R29, Many drugs for chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and CFS involve mood stabilizers, because sufferers get so frustrated with their lack of energy and weight gain, and carb and sugar cravings, not counting dealing with the after effects of the causes, such as being in repeated car accidents.

So far, absolutely no negative side effects to report. Vastly increased energy, far, far less pain, no hunger whatsoever, and clearer thinking. Hope it stays like this too.

"Alpha-lipoic acid is a vitamin-like chemical called an antioxidant.

Some people use alpha-lipoic acid for memory loss, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), HIV/AIDS, cancer, liver disease, diseases of the heart and blood vessels (including a disorder called cardiac autonomic neuropathy) and Lyme disease.

Alpha-lipoic acid is also used to treat eye-related disorders, such as damage to the retina, cataracts, glaucoma, and an eye disease called Wilson’s disease.

How does it work? Alpha-lipoic acid seems to help prevent certain kinds of cell damage in the body, and also restores vitamin levels such as vitamin E and vitamin C. There is also evidence that alpha-lipoic acid can improve the function and conduction of neurons in diabetes."

Alpha-lipoic acid is used in the body to break down carbohydrates and to make energy for the other organs in the body.

Alpha-lipoic acid seems to work as an antioxidant, which means that it might provide protection to the brain under conditions of damage or injury. The antioxidant effects might also be helpful in certain liver diseases."

by Anonymousreply 3608/21/2013

R8 and R37 here, Lost another pound on Day-2, to equal 4 total. Planning exercise weekend of dancing, swimming, and speed walking, as I now have far, far more energy, and very little, if any hunger.

by Anonymousreply 3708/22/2013

I agree, R23. I did the same. Actually went paleo, then primal because I still wanted some dairy. Lost a ton of weight and all the cravings. It's been 7 months and I've never felt better. I can't imagine going back to eating all the crap I did before.

by Anonymousreply 3808/22/2013

Eat less of everything. A lot less.

{quote}anxiety is good....I had a really nerve wracking thing happen in May and I lost all my belly fat during it.

Same here. I found out my BF was having an affair with a good friend of ours. It hit me hard and broke my heart and I lost my appetite. I lost 15 pounds in about 2 months. I ate to stay alive and only when I was hungry, but really didn't have much of an appetite to snack or overeat. I couldn't finish most normal-sized meals.

My exercise levels stayed the same and my drinking actually increased, but the weight came off simply by not eating as much.

And also having a broken heart, but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 3908/22/2013

I got a nasty case of diverticulitis and dropped 15 lbs in a month. After three days of fasting and only taking in clear liquids, basically all I ate for a month was soup (chicken, potato, Miso), eggs, vanilla yogurt and bread.

I have a friend who went gluten free as a way to help control her MS (and it has worked wonders). She has been overweight her entire life, and dropped 60 lbs in a year. She's tiny.

by Anonymousreply 4008/22/2013

Healthy weight loss should really be 0.5-2lbs max per week, so that 10lbs in a week people are mentioning is pretty crazy. Water weight or they're very obese to start with I suppose.

And the real key is long term loss that is also nutritionally healthy. High protein, low carb is not good for that.. nor is using drugs.

by Anonymousreply 4108/23/2013

R42, I now realize that I wasn't being at all clear in my posts. I was in low-level chronic pain, as a result of multiple soft tissue injuries, from car accidents, etc, leading to unusual for me carb cravings to try and compensate for extreme low energy, and fatigue.

Think of it as something physically, not psychologically, draining your level of energy. It doesn't help that I'm borderline hypoglycemic. That's what the meds counteract.

So this am, instead of feeling tired, I got up early, and race walked for 1 1/2 hrs. Wouldn't you then lose weight, and be able to get back into superior shape? You stop craving sugar.

by Anonymousreply 4208/23/2013

R42, I once asked a friend in the military how DI's dealt with those out of shape. The answer, "Ohhhh, they have WAYS of dealing with those out of shape. LOL" My goal was to figure out a way to block the inevitable muscular pain, without resorting to narcotics with side effects, so that I could restore a normal level of energy.

A few years ago I was in a double blind chronic pain study. After monthly "pain blocking" injections, everyone felt that they'd been given a "miracle cure." There were no side effects. We were hysterical when Pfizer stopped the study. All had lost a tremendous amount of weight too, the unintended result.

by Anonymousreply 4308/23/2013

R8: Alph-Lipore Acid (100 mg)

R34: [R8], I'm quite certain that you meant alpha lipoic acid.

Or Amanda Lepore?

by Anonymousreply 4408/23/2013

It's sort of out of favor now but seven years ago I lost 40 lbs. on the South Beach Diet and have kept most of it off. In the first couple of weeks you do lose belly fat.

by Anonymousreply 4508/23/2013

R45, You are correct; and I need to be more careful about editing my posts. Please read the cited article, including the comments, for other possible supplements that may or may not help dieters. Again, it depends why people have gained weight.

Actually most think that I was a high school athlete, while in reality, the older I get the far, far better physical shape that I am in, (except for my belly weight,) due to my change in lifestyle. I would never have worn a thong bikini in high school, or short-shorts.

R42, Just want to remind you that everyone on Jillian Michaels shows is using an artificial aid, to jump start their weight loss regimes.

For example at size 12, if I could handle the sore muscles of a physically demanding job, I again would be easily losing at least 12 lbs a week, as I really dislike high-fat food. That's why 5 lbs in 4 days isn't unusual for me.

by Anonymousreply 4608/23/2013

apple cide vinegar in water before every meal. fat burner, hiit workouts try bodyrock tv, clean eating and zuzka light! good luck!

by Anonymousreply 4708/23/2013

R48, Those are all good ideas, if you can tolerate vinegar, but they aren't addressing what's keeping most from dieting and exercising. That is, carb cravings, dealing with extreme pain from the inevitable sore muscles, as well as the lack of energy, especially if you're recovering from a serious illness or injury.

by Anonymousreply 4808/23/2013

those carb cravings! lol you have to eat clean. the first few days are the hardest but the cravings will go away. if you want to be healthy it has to be done. Also if you haven't excercised in a while you will be sore. again have to push through it if you really want a change. no getting around it. it is soooo worth it though.

by Anonymousreply 4908/23/2013

R50, I was craving a ridiculous amount of carbs, as a way of self-medicating, due to being in such constant low level pain. Nor could I deal with the total lack of energy and exhaustion, let alone even think about exercising.

Anyway post the special diet/energy meds, I raced walked 12 miles yesterday. I took a "long cut," and yes I'm now sore. This diet only really works if you're willing to push your "choice of sweating." Easy now that I have plenty of energy and vigor in the mornings.

I'm R8, and in less than a week, with heavy exercising and literally no desire for carbs or sugar, I've already lost 11 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 5008/25/2013

Lipo and starvation, not necessarily in that order.

by Anonymousreply 5108/25/2013

The Dachau Diet for two months will do it. Honestly.

by Anonymousreply 5208/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.