Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boston or Philadelphia?

I'm spending a month in NYC (which I love and have been to many times) and I have lots of plans within the city, but I would like to visit at least one of Boston or Philadelphia and I only have time for one.

Which city would you prefer for a weekend trip?

by Anonymousreply 9608/25/2013

I think Philly is closer but Boston has more to do.

by Anonymousreply 108/20/2013

They're pretty similar. If you're going this fall then I'd say plan by the fall foliage progress.

I adore Philadelphia FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 208/20/2013

Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 308/20/2013

Do you want to get shot or mugged?

No?

Boston it is!

by Anonymousreply 408/20/2013

Boston

by Anonymousreply 508/20/2013

Both have tons to do. I'm a Philadelphian who adores Boston. I wish you could do both! Boston is smaller and cleaner, Philly is bigger and...well, dirtier...but Philadelphia can be appreciated as a tourist. I work with tourists every day and even jaded New Yorkers have a great time here. Philly is also much easier to get to from NYC - you can even take public transportation to get here (NJTransit - SEPTA).

It's your vacation - make the most of it!

by Anonymousreply 608/20/2013

The Hub of it all, of course: Boston

by Anonymousreply 708/20/2013

I prefer Boston. The men are, on average, smarter.

by Anonymousreply 808/20/2013

Philadelphia has more to offer than Boston.

by Anonymousreply 908/20/2013

Two words: Barnes Collection

by Anonymousreply 1108/20/2013

Thank you, Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 1208/20/2013

[quote]I think Philly is closer but Boston has more to do.

Bwa-ha-ha!!! Yeah, RIGHT. [massive eye roll]

Philly is a LOT closer. It's 90 minutes by train. Boston is 4 hours away! Philly is also a lot larger than Boston. Philadelphia has far more museums, theaters and cultural attractions than Boston, and better restaurants, too. Philly even has more history and historic attractions, which is pretty much Boston's only selling point.

Come to Philly, OP! Make sure you get a cheesesteak while you're here. Unless you prefer CHOW-DAH.

by Anonymousreply 1308/20/2013

There's absolutely no contest between the two in terms of restaurants (Philly wins).

by Anonymousreply 1408/20/2013

I live in Philly and work in NYc and Boston. Any specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer them

by Anonymousreply 1508/20/2013

R14, Boston has average food at best. Probably a disappointment for a NYC resident.

by Anonymousreply 1608/20/2013

Boston - definitely go to Boston. It's cleaner, smarter and more pleasant to ramble around.

Also, cuter men with bigger dicks.

by Anonymousreply 1708/20/2013

Bigger dicks? I doubt it. Also you can't meet a guy in a bar with a fucking gun in Boston. At least the lame bars in Philly have people in them.

by Anonymousreply 1808/20/2013

Thank you all for the suggestions! It looks like I'm choosing Philly (I'll save Boston for another trip). By the sound of it, I wish I had more time to spend in Philadelphia; 2 days seems like hardly enough to do it justice.

What is the gay scene like in Philly?

by Anonymousreply 1908/21/2013

It's Very localized. It's only four square blocks, all very clearly marked. Rainbow flags everywhere. Depending on the night the "scene" can be a bit tired to very active, swelled with locals from the big metro area. The bars cater to various tastes but are mainly just bars - some with food, some with music, some with grit. It just depends on your tastes and the night.

by Anonymousreply 2008/21/2013

Cape Cod, Mass. See gay Provincetown, take the ferry over to exquisitely rich Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. There is nothing in Philly but bad sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 2108/21/2013

OP:

You should visit Philadelphia because those lame-tards think they invented sorbet, but they bark it out as "wodderice."

Oh, and one of the vermin living there long ago visited New Orleans and ate a shrimp po-boy -- loved it.

Came back home, didn't have any shrimp so substituted cheap thin sliced roast beef, slathered some Cheeze-Whiz on it because they couldn't afford mayonnaise, and today think they invented THAT too.

You should go just for the comedic potential of having a Phillistine try to impress you.

by Anonymousreply 2208/21/2013

r22 Calm down, Mar, have a soft pretzel.

by Anonymousreply 2308/21/2013

OP, glad you chose Philly!

Here's some "must see" attractions:

Liberty Bell/Independence Hall

Reading Terminal Market (If you're here anytime between Wed-Sat the Amish will be there selling their phenomenal home baked goods)

The Barnes Foundation

Eastern State Penitentiary

The Mutter Museum

All this can be done in two days easily. As touristy as it sounds, it might not be a bad idea to do a bus tour because you can get on and off at all those places I mentioned. They are spread out over the city and I wouldn't advise anyone to use our crappy public transport.

by Anonymousreply 2408/21/2013

r22, what's with the chip on your shoulder?

Water ice and sorbet are not the same thing. Any Philadelphian knows that.

Cheesesteaks are not roast beef.

Taking cheap potshots over really insignificant things makes you look like a "Phillistine."

by Anonymousreply 2508/21/2013

And check out the University of Pennsylvania! It's a short (15-20 minutes) walk from Center City, just over the Schuykill River.

It's a beautiful park-like campus, and very impressive given its very urban location. Several architecturally significant buildings, most notably College Hall and the Furness Building.

Good, cheap cultural offerings, too, even in the summer (theater, lectures, museum displays, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 2608/21/2013

[quote]Came back home, didn't have any shrimp so substituted cheap thin sliced roast beef, slathered some Cheeze-Whiz on it because they couldn't afford mayonnaise, and today think they invented THAT too.

That's quite a reach, R22, to compare a po-boy to a Philly cheese steak. LOL. Also, fucktard, italian water ice is NOT the same as sorbet.

OP, I've lived in both cities. Here's the difference in the people you will encounter

Philly: cool, fun, funny, intelligent, down to earth, welcoming and friendly.

Boston: racist, bigoted, insular, provincial, un-friendly, conservative, losers like R22.

Also, no comparison if you like Italian food. Little Italy (the North End) in Boston is a joke compared to South Philly.

by Anonymousreply 2708/21/2013

I'm a Philadelphian who loves cheesesteaks, and comparing them to po' boys is an insult to New Orleanians. Oh, you insulted Philadelphians, too. But you made a massive ass of yourself while doing it, which pretty much negates your intentions. Yes, we're ALL laughing at you right now.

They are two distinct sandwiches that are only superficially similar. If you had any sense (and you clearly don't, since you think cheesesteaks are made with roast beef), you would know that po' boys are much closer to hoagies, or subs or heroes or whatever you call them. All of these "long roll" sandwiches have common elements and similar roots, and each region has their own variations.

But among them, I can't think of any two more dissimilar than the po' boy, made with interchangeable ingredients that include deep fried seafood, roast beef or chicken (with gravy!) on a baguette, and the cheesesteak, which is always, by definition, freshly sautéed shaved beef smothered in cheese, on an Italian roll, onions optional, peppers and mushrooms also available.

Besides the fact that the distinct histories of both sandwiches are already well-known, they're not even that much alike.

So yeah, you sound pretty stupid. While we're on that topic, no one in Philadelphia conflates water ice with sorbet. It's a unique creation and we don't need to compare it with something douchebags like you consider more "upscale" or "elegant" or "French". We are a no-bullshit town that prides itself on our decided lack of pretensions. No wonder you hated it!

by Anonymousreply 2808/21/2013

I like both cities. For ease of walking around within the city to appreciate the history, Boston is better since all the venues are walking distance from each other. You can walk the Freedom Trail in Boston and you'll feel as if you've seen all the important sites in one day. Bunker Hill, the old North Church, Old Ironsides, etc., you'll see them all. You'll get a total feel for the founding years of our country from your walk because there are so many historic markers that explain everything fully -- as well as docents giving tours aboard USS Constitution, Paul Revere sites, etc.

I also feel safer walking alone after dark in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 2908/21/2013

r29, all the historic milestones in Philadelphia are easily within walking distance of each other, too.

by Anonymousreply 3008/21/2013

R29, I don't know what you are talking about- all historic milestones are close together in Philadelphia. OP, Philadelphia was this county's first capital-there is just so much history. I love the Constitution Center- it is new and modern and not as stuffy as it sounds.

I grew up in the Massachusetts (south shore) but I travel to Philadelphia frequently-I live in Maryland.

I like Boston, but I LOVE Philly.

by Anonymousreply 3108/21/2013

You are safe after dark in all of the areas that a tourist would frequent in Philadelphia. Unless you're planning a tour of the badlands of North Philadelphia or you want to make a 2am crack run to Greys Ferry, you will be fine. Center City and the adjacent neighborhoods, including touristy Old City and the Gayborhood, are heavily police-patrolled and full of pedestrians, restaurant patrons and bar-hoppers. It's not at all a desolate cityscape after dark; far from it. People are out and about well past midnight on any given night.

That said, like any large city you should be always vigilant, aware of your surroundings, discreet about your wealth and valuables and keep an eye on your personal belongings in public. Don't whip out a wad of cash on the street, sit your shopping bags anywhere but right between your feet or leave your smartphone unattended. If you're a woman, keep a firm grip on your purse at all times. If you feel paranoid about someone walking behind you, turn and look at them to acknowledge that you've seen them. Cross the street, hail a cab or just duck into a business or apartment building if you're really freaked out. Bars close at 2am so it's best to wrap up your night no later than that. Avoid the subway, too. I take it all the time but its nasty and probably is the most dangerous place to be on Center City. That said, I've lived here for decades and never been hassled on the subway. Still, subway violence makes the news often. Lastly, and this is true of every city and tourist destination: don't wander off into unfamiliar areas alone late at night. If you're drinking, make sure you have a solid plan for getting home that night; if not walkable, take a cab. You can stick your hand up anywhere in Center City and get one.

by Anonymousreply 3208/21/2013

Should read: Philadelphia was this COUNTRY'S (not county) first capital

by Anonymousreply 3308/21/2013

Philadelphia was the capital from 1790-1800, but surprisingly it was not America's first capital. New York was, from 1789-1790. George Washington was inaugurated at Federal Hall in NYC. His second and John Adams' first were in Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 3408/21/2013

Hey, R34, I stand corrected. Thank you for the info.

by Anonymousreply 3508/21/2013

[quote]George Washington was inaugurated at Federal Hall in NYC.

The next President to visit Federal Hall was Harry S. Truman, on October 27, 1945. I was reading about that date in history just last week.

by Anonymousreply 3608/21/2013

I'm in Philly as I type this.

by Anonymousreply 3708/21/2013

Boston is better to visit, Philly to live in.

by Anonymousreply 3808/21/2013

Traffic sucks in both

by Anonymousreply 3908/21/2013

Nothing funnier and so misplaced as Philistine Pride.

Fuck all ya!

by Anonymousreply 4008/21/2013

Why are you dipshits still arguing when the OP already made a decision? Let. It. Go.

by Anonymousreply 4108/21/2013

Boston. Philly is a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 4208/21/2013

Boston men, .. Think beans. Philly men, .. Think italian salami.

You choose, OP. :-)

by Anonymousreply 4308/21/2013

OP, please note all the warnings about Philadelphia at R32. It's easy to translate: Skip Philly. Go to Boston.

by Anonymousreply 4408/21/2013

R44 presumes that boston is safe

by Anonymousreply 4508/21/2013

The OP is probably already on his way back from Philadelphia, yet this thread will go on for ages.

by Anonymousreply 4608/21/2013

Philly ROOLZ!

by Anonymousreply 4708/21/2013

Crimes per 100,000 People --

MURDER:

Boston 13.3

Philadelphia 27.7

ROBBERY:

Boston 479.7

Philadelphia 749.1

by Anonymousreply 4808/21/2013

Boston....definitly

by Anonymousreply 4908/21/2013

R48, thanks for the stats, but as anyone who's ever been here knows those aren't evenly distributed AT ALL. Touristy Philly doesn't lie in one of those crime-stat regions.

by Anonymousreply 5008/22/2013

[quote]Touristy Philly doesn't lie in one of those crime-stat regions.

And that would be the same for Boston.

by Anonymousreply 5108/22/2013

yup

by Anonymousreply 5208/22/2013

OP could post a photo of himself a week from now, eating a cheesesteak next to the Liberty Bell with the Phillie Phanatic, and the MASSholes would still be bumping this thread every half hour to brag about Beantown.

Give it up. You suck.

by Anonymousreply 5308/22/2013

Boston is a terrible town to try to get laid in.

by Anonymousreply 5408/22/2013

[quote]Touristy Philly doesn't lie in one of those crime-stat regions.

[quote]And that would be the same for Boston.

Which is why obsessing over crime in either city is paranoid and pointless. Tourists aren't getting gunned down on South St. Neither are residents. There aren't riots in Rittenhouse Square and you won't get a knife pulled on you in Old City. You will not get raped in Love Park and no one is going to push you down the Rocky steps. Gun-toting teenagers in hoodies are not going to ambush you outside the Barnes Collection. It's possible your bag could get snatched on swanky Walnut St, but in 30+ years here I've never seen it happen because there's a cop on nearly every corner.

Nearly 1.6 million residents manage to live in Philadelphia daily. I think OP will survive his trip unscathed.

by Anonymousreply 5508/22/2013

Boston is a much better walking city. Proximity makes a huge difference if you'll only be there for a short time. Also, if you're traveling on your own or with other women, you need to think about safety. I don't care what parts of Philly are kind of bad, really bad, kind of good or very good (touristy?!) How many people are on parole in Philly proper?? In all seriousness, Philly is a far more dangerous.

I don't want to Philly bash but come on...Boston so much fun to visit! Plus we have way bettah sports teams, we're wicked smahht and way bettah lookin'!

by Anonymousreply 5608/22/2013

OTHER women r56? Where do you think you are?

by Anonymousreply 5708/22/2013

For a weekend trip I'd have to agree with R56, you can do a lot in a shorter amount of time in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 5808/22/2013

Except its 4 hours away instead of 90 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 5908/22/2013

Someone who's lived in LA, New York City and Chicago. And if you're traveling alone (as a woman) you need to watch your back. If you don't think so...then you need to get your head out your ass.

by Anonymousreply 6008/22/2013

[quote] Philly is a far more dangerous

Tell that to the victims at the marathon.

by Anonymousreply 6108/22/2013

The OP is a man, so you're the one who needs to get your head out of your ass. You said "other" women implying he was a woman.

by Anonymousreply 6208/22/2013

[quote]You will not get raped in Love Park and no one is going to push you down the Rocky steps.

NO! I was raped in RIttenhouse! Wronged in Chestnut Hill! Mayor Nutter shoved drugs into my arms on the Broad Street line! I was buttfucked at the Barnes! and My Cunt was forced at Curtis Institute!

by Anonymousreply 6308/22/2013

Marathon victims? A little too soon for that reference.

Unless you've actually lived in a city where there's been a terrorist attack (like NYC) and know that gut punch panic feeling and violation you feel, I wouldn't use that reference lightly.

Goodnight all. This thread is a pissing contest.

by Anonymousreply 6408/22/2013

Rent a car in NYC and drive to Boston. Best way to go.

by Anonymousreply 6508/22/2013

Boston...depressing

Philly...good times

by Anonymousreply 6608/22/2013

Boston is awful.

AWFUL.

Most uptight unhappy bitter nasty white people in America.

Racist, mean, mean-spirited, vibrating with leftover Puritan rage from 1620.

Do. Not. Go. There.

Philadelphia is charming.

by Anonymousreply 6708/22/2013

This thread is making me want to see Philly someday.

As a native San Franciscan and elitist snob, I've visited over 30 countries, but have only been to the East Coast three times (not counting airport layovers en route to somewhere else) and two of them were for work.

Outside of the US West Coast, in the N. American continent have seen far more of Mexico, or Central America, or Canada or the Caribbean than I have the US East Coast. I have no relatives there and it's not like I've been sold on it as a vacation or cultural destination.

Spent a week in Cambridge/Boston, a week in Manhattan and N. NJ, and a few days in Ithaca/Binghampton, NY.

First of all, those places in the East are as exotic and different to me as is Fiji. And in different ways, just as beautiful.

Loud, obnoxious, opinionated, blue-collar Northeasterners are just fucking hilarious and are as friendly/helpful as any people I've met around the world. Except they're so quick-witted and direct. They're only obnoxious when they come to Yosemite and say "Where the fuck is the strip club?". When they shit on LA (LA = anywhere south of Big Sur) they are doing a community service.

I've noticed that Some white collar Northeasterners are more formal, pretentious, and boring than others.

I'd love to see gritty, urbane, Philly, more of the NYC area, Hudson Valley, Boston proper and the burbs, The Cape, Vermont, and Maine. Even the Jersey Shore. At least you can get in the water there, unlike in NorCal.

Why are yous fighting over Boston vs. Philadelphia?! There's old brick buildings, fireflies, blue birds and orioles, greenery in the Summah, snow, loud fun people, Democrats, ocean you can swim in, and inorganic food with Meat!

What the fuck is wrong with you people. Don't make me get all Mrs. Brady on you...

by Anonymousreply 6808/22/2013

R54: agree. Go to Philly if you wanna get laid.

by Anonymousreply 6908/22/2013

Philadelphia people, have you ever been to Mac's bar from It's Always Sunny? I think it is called Mac's.

by Anonymousreply 7008/22/2013

If you've decided to go to Philly you'd might as well just stay in NYC and party like a rock star. You're only here for a month. For fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 7108/22/2013

Yes, R7, it's called Mac's Tavern but the sign outside just says "Tavern". It's in Old City on the south side of Market St. just above 2nd. It's a cute little bar that serves pub food. Hipsters, yuppies, etc. No, I've never seen Rob McElhenney or any of the Sunny cast there, but I have run into them filming around town.

by Anonymousreply 7208/22/2013

Cool, thanks for sharing r72. The cast, especially Rob, seems very normal. I would love to see them around town.

by Anonymousreply 7308/22/2013

Rob and Glenn do seem pretty normal - I chatted with Glenn outside the Locust Tavern (or is it bar?) when he was waiting for something. Makeup, costume - whatever. And he was very laid back and cool.

by Anonymousreply 7408/22/2013

Everyone thinks Charlie is hot (do not see it all myself) but Glenn is gorgeous. His twitter is mostly him bashing Donald Trump and is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 7508/23/2013

Charlie and Rob are both from Philly - so that makes them better

by Anonymousreply 7608/23/2013

I think Charlie grew up in Rhode Island not Philly. Does anyone else think this show is extremely underrated? Also,it gets barely any press for being on for so long.

by Anonymousreply 7708/23/2013

Yes, r77. I am a huge fan as are all my friends. It's a popular show in Philly, and really gets that attitude of narcissism and self degradation that seems to flow throw this town. I love it, and I love how genuinely nice the cast is when the film here in Philly.

But the humor can get very uncomfortable for the casual viewer. It's a show that takes a few viewings (preferably when stoned) to appreciate.

by Anonymousreply 7808/23/2013

I concur: Sunny is practically a documentary. They nail the inherent "lovable loser" qualities that embody Philadelphia. And the supporting characters are dead-on. Mac's mom is like every chain-smoking South Philly fishwife I've ever seen. The tavern-culture of South Philly is also perfectly rendered.

by Anonymousreply 7908/23/2013

Mac's mom and Charlie's mom are awesome! I loved the episode when they become roommates. It's funny how the main characters seem to be the exact opposite of their characters, since all are married with at least one child. I think maybe critics might think they are playing themselves, but that is not the case. I remember my brother saw an interview with the cast of Entourage and he said basically every cast member acted exactly like their character, and there was no acting on their part at all.

by Anonymousreply 8008/23/2013

Charlie's mom is Miss Yvonne from Pee Wee's Playhouse!

by Anonymousreply 8108/23/2013

OMG what the hell happened? That is crazy r81, are you sure? Wasn't she the "hot" one on that show that Pee Wee liked?

by Anonymousreply 8208/23/2013

R77, I think he may have grown up in RI and Brooklyn but his parents are from Philly, he would say that all holidays he'd return back to see gramma etc.

YES, I think all of them are underrated.

by Anonymousreply 8308/23/2013

Philadelphia has over 200 historic house museums open to the public. Now that's something to think about.

by Anonymousreply 8408/23/2013

Philly has more blatino husbears

by Anonymousreply 8508/24/2013

[quote] Philadelphia has over 200 historic house museums open to the public. Now that's something to think about.

Yes, and Franklin Court (location of his home and a museum devote to him) reopens to the public today after a long renovation. Very fun for a history geek like me.

r82, it's definitely her, Lynne Marie Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 8608/24/2013

Sloppy drunks in both cities.

by Anonymousreply 8708/25/2013

I've been to Philadelphia before it was as bad as it is now, and I would like to go back to see the Barnes, but it's not worth risking my life for.

by Anonymousreply 8808/25/2013

Boston is not worth risking your life for either

by Anonymousreply 8908/25/2013

Where did you stay R88? The slum in north Philly? That's the only place you would feel at risk, and there would be no reason for a tourist to go there. You sound ignorant..

BTW-- the Barnes has moved to a MUCH more convenient location in center city from Merion, PA.

by Anonymousreply 9008/25/2013

r88 never leaves the house and thinks the CIA is listening in on his phone calls.

by Anonymousreply 9108/25/2013

[quote]I've been to Philadelphia before it was as bad as it is now

When? The 1940s?

Philadelphia's crime rate peaked in the 70s and 80s. Like most large US cities it's seen its crime rate drop since the 90s.

[quote]I would like to go back to see the Barnes, but it's not worth risking my life for.

You are the biggest moron on the face of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 9208/25/2013

Can anyone link to a news story about a tourist being assaulted, shot or killed in Philadelphia? Anyone? If the city is truly unsafe to visit, wouldn't there be news stories about tourists being attacked and killed?

by Anonymousreply 9308/25/2013

The tourists are all ground up and made into cheesesteaks

by Anonymousreply 9408/25/2013

Anyplace buy Philly.

by Anonymousreply 9508/25/2013

[quote]Anyplace buy Philly.

anyplace what? any place in Philly? buy What?

by Anonymousreply 9608/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.