Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do You Have a Boat?

Just curious if there are any boaters here.

I don't but I did when I lived with my family. We used to take vacations on it. A lot of good times on the water. A couple of scary times too.

I was up at a lake and a friend put a new engine in his 18-foot Thompson every year. This year it was an Olds engine with 300HP. He shifted it into neutral instead of pulling the throttle to slow down when we were doing 60 knots and the boat seemed to submerge for a minute and then pop out of the water like a dolphin, land flat, then swing violently back and forth -- where everyone but me fell out because I was wedged in by the dashboard.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 2508/22/2013

Does a kayak count? If so, yes.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 108/19/2013

I had a 19-foot boat but eventually got that out of my system - kept it in a marina. Now, my home is waterfront and I'm the only one in the neighborhood with no boat - and no desire to go boating.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 208/19/2013

I want a house on the water with a dock, but I don't want a boat.

Like pools, boats are something your friends own. You provide lots of good booze and snacks.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 308/19/2013

My dad had a yacht when we were growing up. 40'. Couple of bedrooms. He kept it in Falmouth, and we would spend weeks on Oaks Bluff and Nantucket. I didn't like it at the time -- we had the clean the deck, the bathrooms were small, we were always sticky from the salt -- but now that I'm older and live in a land-locked city, I miss it more than I ever imagined I would.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 408/19/2013

No. My friend's family had two speedboats and a yacht. We would go hang out on the yacht when it was tied up at the marina on weekends. It had an 8 track cassette player and I remember listening to the Band on the Run album the day it was released. We played cards, drank wine and smoked weed, playing Band on the Run over and over again.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 608/19/2013

I am more into sailboats. Powerboats? Bah. There is nothing special about them.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 708/19/2013

[quote]Tita! Donde estas?

I know. I wondered what would happen if Tita's A came off and she was just "going down like the Tit."

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 908/19/2013

There's nothing like cutting the engine on a sailboat and that stillness before the wind starts filling up the sails.

Back in the 70s my dad had an old schooner called the Nina (Neen-ya). He was going to take it around the world. Decided against it.

Someone bought the boat a few years ago and tried to do the same thing. But they went down in the Tasman Sea a few months ago. In a storm. They radioed: No sails, bare poles, only the engine pushing them along at 3 knots, with 30 foot waves and 60 knot winds. Feeling really bad for that family. Sounds like a catastrophic failure in a storm.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 1008/19/2013

Here's a catastrophic failure in a storm. The Penlee lifeboat disaster in Cornwall.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 1108/19/2013

"Owning a boat is like standing in an ice-cold shower, ripping up hundred dollar bills."

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 1208/20/2013

I have a most and a castle.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 1308/20/2013

I don't much care for them and never have done. I've had a nice time on other people's boats, but as one-off events. It's not something I would want to do often, or be burdened with owning.

I don't even like the look of boats. Those idyllic harbor views with all of the colorful boats bobbing about? I'd enjoy the view more without boats at all.

Then there are boating people, who are their own special breed, with their own special wardrobes and rules and language and snobbery. Like horse people, they are usually surrounded by a circle of sometimes shifty, drifting sorts who keep the wheels greased and do the real work (and drink up all the booze.) It's an odd class mix of upper crust and highly leveraged aspirationals and old crusty alky sorts. The Thurston Howell glamour was always lost on me.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 1408/20/2013

My sisters asinine bf gets $400 a month in disability payments, but has a boat so he can go fishing. The boat costs a shitload in gas and the idiot doesn't eat fish. He just fishes "to calm himself down." How does he pay for gas on $400 a month? He doesn't sell the fish, he gives it away.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 1508/20/2013

I have a Cal 29 sail boat.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 1608/20/2013

I'm ON A BOAT MUTHA FUCKER TAKE A LOOK AT ME

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 1708/20/2013

One of my frau friends has a boat. Not a big one but she acts as if a weekend invitation to go to the lake is the Black and White Ball. I've listened to her muse aloud the different pros and cons of inviting people, so and so "gained weight, doesn't drink, drinks too much, could wear something inappropriate, won't reciprocate the invitation, has a cabin and a few boat outings could "pay" for a trip to the cabin, looks better than me in a bathing suit, might want to talk about their dog who just died."

She acts like she's planning a 1920s transatlantic trip on the Queen Mary and she has a fucking dinky little lake boat that we go out on for about 3 hours while she finds little promising coves to take photos of her obnoxious 14 year old daughter. It amazes me that she thinks ANYONE gives half a shit.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 1808/20/2013

[quote]Like horse people, they are usually surrounded by a circle of sometimes shifty, drifting sorts who keep the wheels greased and do the real work (and drink up all the booze.) It's an odd class mix of upper crust and highly leveraged aspirationals and old crusty alky sorts.

Very true. We had a lot of volunteers help to get my Dad's boat ready for his trip. You kind of described them perfectly. There was a boat bunny who never worked but looked good. There was a yacht club lady who was an alcoholic and worked her ass off on the boat. There was the shirtless, handsome guy who looked like an ad for Old Spice and supervised everybody.

[quote]"Owning a boat is like standing in an ice-cold shower, ripping up hundred dollar bills."

I've heard that a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 1908/20/2013

No

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 2008/20/2013

What is it with boats and alcoholism?

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 2108/20/2013

I don't own a boat myself, but our family lived onboard a smallish yacht on and off when I was growing up. We sailed it from San Francisco to Connecticut through the Panama Canal, and then two years later did the same voyage in reverse.

My father was one of those eccentric personalities who refuse to conform to society's rules. He ruled our family by force of will, like Paul Theroux's fictional paterfamilias in "The Mosquito Coast" or Paul Farmer's real father in the biography "Mountains Beyond Mountains."

Now when I see a sailboat, I remember the terror of being threatened by huge waves that threatened to swamp us, the despair of losing supplies or equipment overboard, and the sting of getting lashed in the face by salt spray. On top of that, I've also always been prone to seasickness.

If invited on a boat trip, I must decline.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 2208/20/2013

I did, but it wasn't very seaworthy

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 2308/20/2013

I think Jet Skis have even more of an association with alcoholics than boats.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 2408/20/2013

The second happiest day of your life is when you buy a boat.

The happiest day of your life is when you sell that boat.

by sits and watches as post sinks to the bottom like the Titareply 2508/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.