Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I need a book recommendation please! What's good?

I've run out of books to read and am looking for a suggestion that I might not know about. I tend to read non fiction, mostly social commentary, et. The last few books I read and liked were: "The Psychopath Test"; "The Examined Life"; "Quiet". I don't read much fiction, but will read anything Nick Hornby writes. So...can anyone recommend an interesting book? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2408/20/2013

The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are

by Brene Brown

by Anonymousreply 108/19/2013

R1 -- Thanks for the reco. I just ordered it. Although I have no trouble embracing my imperfections and have traveled a less-traveled path -- I gave up a good career to become an, uh, artist -- it sounds like a great book. Thanks. Anyone else?!?

by Anonymousreply 208/19/2013

I've been reading most of Lawrence Wright's books. Besides Going Clear, on Scientology, I liked God's Chosen. Based on the true story of Noriega's last days ruining Panama, it has strong moral implications. Also liked The Looming Towers, and Wright's book on a variety of well-known religious leaders and their downfall.

by Anonymousreply 308/19/2013

"Lawrence in Arabia" - recent book by Scott Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 408/19/2013

I read mostly all non-fiction too.

Think you might enjoy...Oh the Glory of it All..by Sean Wilsey.

It is a memoir of growing up in SF...ad it even has Danielle Steel in it ...he is the son of Pat Montanton.

Check out the reviews.

by Anonymousreply 508/19/2013

OP here. Fantastic suggestions, all. I'm also a fan of Wright. I loved "Going Clear," and, although I don't really have much interest in COS, the book was riveting. And I also just ordered "Oh the Glory of it All." it sounds great. Thank you, all, for good, thoughtful suggestions. I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 608/19/2013

OP, Lawrence Wright went from being very religious to a non-believer. Most of his works reflect the hypocrisy of religious leaders.

by Anonymousreply 708/19/2013

If you might be interested in some fiction, I heartily recommend BEAUTIFUL RUINS, a sprawling (but not lengthy) tale that begins in 1962 with a bit player in CLEOPATRA appears in a tiny fishing village in Italy. It ends decades later (not a spoiler), by which time you've come to care deeply about a wildly disparate group of lovably misfit characters. It's compulsively readable.

by Anonymousreply 808/19/2013

"Far from the Tree"- Andrew Solomon

This is nonfiction about children who are significantly different from their parents- through physical or mental disability, genius, criminality, transgenderism or being conceived from rape. I'm only about one-third way through but the stories are totally engrossing and the author really makes you think about difference nnd identity. The writer is gay and he uses his own experience as growing up "different" to connect to these other experiences. All of the interviews are excellent- later on in the book I understand he interviews the parents of the Columbine High School shooters.

BTW, anyone reading the new Charles Manson biography that just came out?

by Anonymousreply 908/19/2013

A very sweet memoir is "Into the Garden With Charles" by Clyde Phillip Waschberger. He tells about buying a house at the point in his life where he thinks he will never find love and a partner. Then, he meets someone and how they built a life together and created a wonderful home together.

If you like history, "The Big Burn" by Timothy Egan. Teddy Roosevelt and his conservation efforts told against the backdrop of a mid-west fire in early 1900's that wiped out an area of land the size of Connecticut.

"The Black Count" by Tom Reiss. Son of a slave who led troops during the French Revolution. His son was Alexandre Dumas, author of The Three Musketeers.

by Anonymousreply 1008/19/2013

I'm looking forward to a book on Chris Boyce that comes out tomorrow in e-format (although I want the hard copy). Given the Snowden case, it's very timely. It's called "The Falcon and The Snowman' American Sons." R9, I want to pick up the Manson book. Did you read "Restless Souls: The Sharon Tate Family's Account of Stardom, the Manson Murders, and a Crusade for Justice" by Alisa Statman and Brie Tate? Alisa Statman had been involved with Patti Tate prior to her death.

by Anonymousreply 1108/20/2013

Reality is for those who can't face science-fiction.

Seriously, who the fuck doesn't read fiction?

by Anonymousreply 1208/20/2013

If you haven't read both "Lies & The Lying Liars Who Tell Them" and "The Truth" by Al Franken, you really should. They're not only very entertaining, they're very informative.

by Anonymousreply 1308/20/2013

STARSTRUCK by Rachel Shukert. It's about the Golden Days of Hollywood with three young starlets who appear to be based on Judy Garland, Lana Turner and Gene Tierney. It's a hipper, younger "Valley of the Dolls".

by Anonymousreply 1408/20/2013

OP here. I'm astonished and thankful for all the thoughtful responses. I'm used to seeing bitchy, cruel comments on here, so I'm surprised and grateful that you all chipped and gave some excellent, excellent recommendations. I downloaded more than a few to my kindle already. Thank you, gentlemen.

by Anonymousreply 1508/20/2013

R15, You're welcome, and when will we expect to read your book reviews of the selections?

by Anonymousreply 1608/20/2013

R14, Not OP but am ordering Starstruck. Please see my new thread requesting books uncovering the truth behind the smoke and mirrors of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 1708/20/2013

"Seriously, who the fuck doesn't read fiction?"

I read the occasional novel, but many, many people only read non-fiction, R12. Your statement had to have been a joke.

by Anonymousreply 1808/20/2013

Here is more info on the "Starstruck" book. I too am a sucker for old Hollywood books.

by Anonymousreply 1908/20/2013

I usually browse about goodreads.com when I want a book recommendation and often end up with a bunch I want to read.

by Anonymousreply 2008/20/2013

Hedrick Smith's latest book "Who Stole the American Dream" is a good read. Be prepared to wail and gnash your teeth. I know you don't read fiction, but I recommend "The Handmaid's Tale". Think of it as pre-history, because it'll be true some day.

by Anonymousreply 2108/20/2013

I don't read much fiction at all. But I'll read anything Nick Hornby writes! If you're a music lover, Juliet, Naked, is a must read. He's brilliant, and the book is a wonderful treatise on obsessive fandom.

by Anonymousreply 2208/20/2013

"West With the Night" by Beryl Markham

It's a beautiful memoir of a female aviatrix from the 1920s. You'll love it.

by Anonymousreply 2308/20/2013

BTW, I picked up "Far From the Tree" as a result of the recommendation, and am about 25% through it. It is fantastic. Thanks for that reco, and it is well worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 2408/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.