Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Splurging on accommodations

When you take long trips, do you stay in the same price range for accommodations or do you splurge now and then?

I'm taking a big trip in the fall in Southern Europe and hitting multiple towns in a couple of countries. I'm wondering if it would cheer me up to splurge on a really nice place along the way (after staying in cheaper places and rented apartments).

by Anonymousreply 2808/22/2013

I don't feel a need to have great accommodations since I don't expect to be there except for a few hours sleep each night. I'm more interested in the location to be sure I can see things both day and night.

by Anonymousreply 108/19/2013

If I'm traveling between many cities I will stay at a nicer place once in the middle of the trip and then at then end. More than that seems a waste since I'm only in the room to sleep and take a shower.

by Anonymousreply 208/19/2013

Why do you need cheering up during a vacation OP?

by Anonymousreply 308/19/2013

I stay in upper class accommodations and put the staff at Best Western.

by Anonymousreply 408/19/2013

Can I come with you? I have money!

by Anonymousreply 508/19/2013

Why would you stay in shitholes at all? It's your vacation. You won't spend much time in Europe over the course of your life. Stay in good hotels for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 608/19/2013

Once in a while I'll splurge, just because I can.

I stayed at the Ritz in Madrid and was just overwhelmed by the service and the room. Made the trip that much more special.

Done a few five stars when I can afford it, once you experience it, very hard to go back to the Holiday Inn.

There are a few countries where you can get 5 star hotels relatively cheap, places like Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Mexico, South America, so sometimes it's nice to see how the 1% live.

by Anonymousreply 708/19/2013

Who said the OP will be staying in shitholes, r6?

by Anonymousreply 808/19/2013

Since I like to travel often, I tend to economize more on accommodations. As posted up thread, I don't stay in my room very much and actually prefer not to have maid service. All I really care about is a clean room, comfortable bed, a coffee maker, and internet service.

by Anonymousreply 908/19/2013

I like to splurge. But I also like a deal. I got a penthouse suite with a huge marble bathroom and a gigantic terrace at the Eurostar on Via Nazionale for under $300 a night.

by Anonymousreply 1008/19/2013

[quote]Who said the OP will be staying in shitholes, [R6]?

It was a general comment for the posters (including the OP) who only "splurge" on a good hotel one or two nights of their vacations, meaning very few nights of their entire lives.

On holiday, always book a room with a view in a good hotel. Life is short, live a little.

t

by Anonymousreply 1108/19/2013

[quote]On holiday, always book a room with a view in a good hotel. Life is short, live a little.

I don't want to "live a little" in a posh hotel. I was given a trip to Europe that included fancy hotels. I have no memory of them. I didn't eat in the hotels. I didn't use room service. I probably just used the soap and shampoo.

Instead, I was out sightseeing, hiking Alpine trails, afternoon concerts, evening concerts, lectures, visiting museums, looking over art galleries, etc. That's what I call living!

How pathetic to hear someone return from a vacation and tell about their hotel.

by Anonymousreply 1208/19/2013

[quote]On holiday, always book a room with a view in a good hotel. Life is short, live a little.

That pretty much nails it. If you can afford a vacation, make it a good one.

by Anonymousreply 1308/19/2013

[quote]Instead, I was out sightseeing, hiking Alpine trails, afternoon concerts, evening concerts, lectures, visiting museums, looking over art galleries, etc. That's what I call living!

[quote]How pathetic to hear someone return from a vacation and tell about their hotel.

It's entirely possible to do all of those things AND to stay in a nice hotel.

If travel accommodations meant hardship, then I'd rather stay home. Most people do make some sacrifices or inconveniences in travel -- airports, air travel, occupying small spaces in hotels-- so it's easy to understand why those who have the choice don't want to economize on a hotel room whose chief attribute is "cleanliness" and "convenience to transportation."

If hotels matter, a traveler willing to do even a bit of research can usually balance value and extravagance and come up with something extend a sense of luxury beyond merely being away from home and makes a hotel seem a nice base to return "home" to, however temporarily.

by Anonymousreply 1408/19/2013

There's a huge difference between decent three-star hotels and "shitholes."

by Anonymousreply 1508/19/2013

[quote]Instead, I was out sightseeing, hiking Alpine trails, afternoon concerts, evening concerts, lectures, visiting museums, looking over art galleries, etc. That's what I call living! How pathetic to hear someone return from a vacation and tell about their hotel.

You seem like an exhausting and unpleasant tryhard-traveler. Is there some reason you can't do all of those things while staying in a good hotel?

by Anonymousreply 1608/19/2013

r12 sounds poor.

fret not dear soul! Obamacare is coming!!

by Anonymousreply 1708/19/2013

Though I've been all around the globe, I only recall two hotels. One in the mountains of Peru was built up from an Inca ruin, the other was a grand old hotel in Austria built in 1490. I always remember that because I was impressed that people were staying there for two years before Columbus discovered America. I can remember fantastic meals and banquets all around the world, but I only remember one specific restaurant. It's a 5-star restaurant, very old. So old, that Charlemagne once dined there. The meal was spectacular, but it's the same for meals in other restaurants where I only remember the meal, not the building, not the view.

by Anonymousreply 1808/19/2013

R17 sounds like a morbidly obese American.

by Anonymousreply 1908/19/2013

We give you insurance and this is how they repay us: r19.????

Bring down the underclass!!!! Open the ovens!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2008/19/2013

R12 sounds like a cheap shit who doesn't tip the maid.

by Anonymousreply 2108/19/2013

Couchsurf.

by Anonymousreply 2208/19/2013

[quote]You seem like an exhausting and unpleasant tryhard-traveler. Is there some reason you can't do all of those things while staying in a good hotel?

You sound like the dull sort of traveler who never leaves his hotel room, unless it's to go to McDonald's or Burger King, and whines about not having the kinds of cable options in the hotel he has back in America: "Why can't everything be dubbed into English?"

by Anonymousreply 2308/19/2013

No, R23, since I've always traveled, I just don't do the try-hard traveler thing. It's not necessary to compulsively schedule every moment of every day and/or try to cram every possible activity available into a single holiday. That's a rookie mistake.

I like to relax, take a stroll, have a coffee, watch some people, maybe take a swim or wander through a museum or an interesting neighborhood and/or historical site. In the evening, I like to visit with friends, have a wonderful meal and/or hit a club/show/party and/or just wander around some more.

I sleep until I feel like waking, have a light breakfast on the terrace or sitting by a window with a gorgeous view. Then I embark on another lovely, relaxing holiday day.

Hardly seems wrath-inspiring, now does it?

by Anonymousreply 2408/19/2013

oh stop your yammering r24....nobody cares what you do.

by Anonymousreply 2508/19/2013

You know, it's perfectly fine to do what you want to when you're traveling, R23/25.

by Anonymousreply 2608/19/2013

Knock on a stranger's door and ask if you can spend the night.

Live a little!

by Anonymousreply 2708/21/2013

Well...

by Anonymousreply 2808/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.