Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do you pick olive oil?

They have a ton of choices and I don't know what to pick. Is the most expensive EVOO the best one to get? Help, I'm in the aisle right now.

by Anonymousreply 4908/20/2013

Just assume you're not getting what you think you're paying for and select the one with prettiest bottle at a price you're willing to pay.

Buying EVOO is a total crapshoot.

by Anonymousreply 108/19/2013

It's a matter of your taste, OP.

I'd go with a mid-priced option - Italian not Greek.

by Anonymousreply 208/19/2013

Poor-quality olive oil will congeal into white sludge if placed in the fridge. Sadly, most olive oils on the market today do just that. I personally recommend Antonio Celentano - it is 'virgin' enough to remain liquid even while cold.

by Anonymousreply 308/19/2013

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? This is one of the many items they should your go to for. Get their California Estate. Affordable and nice quality.

by Anonymousreply 408/19/2013

^^ The thin it with anti-freeze, r3

by Anonymousreply 508/19/2013

Olive oil should never be placed in the refrigerator. Just buy smaller bottles and keep them at room temp.

And don't say EVOO. That reminds me of that low class twat.

by Anonymousreply 608/19/2013

Put a thimble of the olive oil in question in the fridge, OP. No faster way to find out if it truly is unadulterated - if it's really extra-virgin, it will stay liquid and relatively clear.

by Anonymousreply 708/19/2013

OK, Miz Ina, I will honor your request and stop saying EVOO.

Forgive me and do NOT fart in my general direction.

by Anonymousreply 808/19/2013

Miz Ina once farted her advice to the great unwashed on this very subject.

Buy several brands at once, try them all, pick the one whose flavor you like best, buy that one from then on.

by Anonymousreply 908/19/2013

I like Colavita olive oil, been using it for more than 30years. I'm wary of it now, since I see it advertised on TV.

by Anonymousreply 1008/19/2013

OP, you don't pick olive oil, you squeeze the olives once the OLIVES have been picked.

by Anonymousreply 1108/19/2013

Are olives healthy to eat?

by Anonymousreply 1208/19/2013

Many of the Italian brands are fake -- a mixture of other, cheaper oils and olive oil. Costco has a couple Kirkland branded EVOO's that are authentic, extra virgin olive oil and are both good.

by Anonymousreply 1308/19/2013

Ugh, but you have to shop at Costco to get them!

by Anonymousreply 1408/19/2013

I like DaVero. Expensive, but very good.

by Anonymousreply 1508/19/2013

Always pick "extra virgin" cold-pressed Olive Oil. And don't buy the Walmart brand

by Anonymousreply 1608/19/2013

So what's the cheapest olive oil that you can buy for cooking, that has real health benefits? Online I've heard it's all a bait and switch scam.

by Anonymousreply 1708/19/2013

I like Terra Medi or Columela for extra virgin. Not that picky about regular olive oil for cooking.

by Anonymousreply 1808/19/2013

I am using the Kroger brand olive oil at the moment. The label says it is cold pressed extra virgin oil.

Tastes like olive oil, not too heavy, not too light.

I am a struggling attorney, and if it is not as labeled, I will be a rich attorney leading a multistate class-action suit.

by Anonymousreply 1908/19/2013

I went to Amazon and looked at the reviews and descriptions. And took my time about it. Don't care to stare at stuff in overcrowded stores.

by Anonymousreply 2008/19/2013

Which one works the best as a lube?

by Anonymousreply 2108/19/2013

This olive oil is fantastic -- I even give it as gifts and friends love it.

by Anonymousreply 2208/19/2013

"The great olive oil fraud: 70 percent of the extra virgin olive oil sold worldwide is watered down with soy oil! Real EVOO solidifies when it’s cold.

Costco’s Kirkland Signature Extra Virgin Olive Oil (First Cold Pressed) does usually solidify when refrigerated, in my experience. There have been times when it hasn’t."

You thought you were making an informed health choice by using extra-virgin olive oil in place of cheaper, low-quality cooking oils, right? You probably never thought that a tiny, expensive bottle of EVOO might be cut with crap or doctored with chlorophyll to make it taste like olive oil — when in fact it was soybean or another health-compromising, cheap oil. According to Tom Mueller, the fearless author of Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil, 70 percent of the extra virgin olive oil sold worldwide is watered down with other oils and enhancers making them far from virgins and more like sidewalk hookers on the corner of 10th and Main — not exactly good for your health or your pocketbook.

Mueller exposes the billion dollar industry, showing how EVOO is compromised world-wide. During volunteer testing by suppliers to authenticate what they thought were pure extra virgin olive oils, every brand submitted in Australia during 2012 failed the tests and none gained certification for being pure. Authentication tests at UC Davis in 2011 uncovered similar results."

by Anonymousreply 2308/19/2013

The UC Davis tests R23 mentions found that most Italian imports are fake. The brands that come from California were generally found to be true 'extra virgin olive oil.'

Consumer Reports did analysis and found similar results. Their tasters liked Trader Joe's California Estate. It was also one of the cheapest brands tested. Kirkland Signature Select Toscano (Costco brand) was also highly rated and cheap.

by Anonymousreply 2408/19/2013

Do you trust The Business Insider? Read up on scams.

by Anonymousreply 2508/19/2013

You laugh, R21 but olive oil makes for great wank lube. Especially for a long jack off session.

Your dick ends up smelling like French fries but it's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 2608/19/2013

R26, Is olive oil that much better than baby oil?

by Anonymousreply 2708/19/2013

So Bertolli is crap?

by Anonymousreply 2808/19/2013

The secret to delicious olive oil is to leave it up on the top shelf and re-discover it 20 years later for frying things like, I don't know, catfish nuggets.

by Anonymousreply 2908/19/2013

Bertolli is excellent. Colavita is big box store crap, it isn't even the right color.

by Anonymousreply 3008/19/2013

We use peanut oil for everything.

by Anonymousreply 3108/19/2013

Actually, R28 and R30, Consumer Reports rates Bertolli 'Fair' and Colavita slightly better at 'Good.'

by Anonymousreply 3208/19/2013

[quote] Is the most expensive EVOO the best one to get?

What the hell do you think?

by Anonymousreply 3408/20/2013

R3/7 is wrong if it stays liquid it is NOT olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 3508/20/2013

Bertolli is fake R30, but enjoy. It has a lot of soy oil.

by Anonymousreply 3608/20/2013

Don't really like the olive flavor and have moved on to grapeseed oil.

by Anonymousreply 3708/20/2013

[quote]How do you pick olive oil?

I yam what I yam

by Anonymousreply 3808/20/2013

I'd like to know this as well. Been hearing that olive oil is fake for years. It's a scandal it's allowed to go on.

I just buy extra virgin olive oil and hope for the best.

Anyone know if olive oil from countries other than Italy (the mafia connection) is more likely to be for real? E.g. Spain, Greece. I have heard if it's Californian it is, but I'm based in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 3908/20/2013

R3, are you sure? I've always heard the exact opposite. The dressing I made with extra virgin olive oil congealed in the fridge, yet the grapeseed oil I keep in there is fine.

by Anonymousreply 4008/20/2013

R39, all we know is that olive oil imported from Europe to the US is largely fake or adulterated. Maybe oil produced in Europe for the domestic market is different.

I third the Trader Joe's California Estate. It's the best, it's real, and it's cheap. Thank god for Trader Joe's in general.

by Anonymousreply 4108/20/2013

If you have a Fairway near you, I suggest checking it out. The one near me (Brooklyn) has samples of every olive oil that they carry. A great way to figure out what you like. Right now I use Trevi-Umbrian, I think it's about $15 a bottle.

I also like Frantoia Barbera. I buy it at Coloccio's in Bensonhurst.

by Anonymousreply 4208/20/2013

Sorry, OP. We're lucky enough to have our own stand of olives and have been making our own oil for the last five years. I'd hate to have to go back to the commercial stuff - no matter how expensive it is, it still doesn't taste as good as ours.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 4308/20/2013

Anyone try O & CO? They have some shops in upscale malls. They even have flavors like Lemon, Chili and basil olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 4508/20/2013

r44 Not really, but I want r43 to put me on his Christmas present list.

by Anonymousreply 4608/20/2013

R43, How hard is it to make olive oil? We have many trees where I live. How much does yours cost?

by Anonymousreply 4708/20/2013

There is so much fraud in the imported olive oil business that I stick to Californian olive oil certified by their trade group.

by Anonymousreply 4808/20/2013

I buy the one that says Made in China.

by Anonymousreply 4908/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!