Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Be careful about what you buy at the Dollar Store.

I recently bought a 4-pack of white, made in Pakistan facecloths at my local Dollarama (Canadian chain) in Toronto. They looked fine in the store and when I got them home. I threw them in the wash and proceeded to use them in the shower. After the second washing I noticed that a couple of them seemed a bit discoloured in the middle of the cloth. Kind of brownish and soiled-looking. I threw them out. I looked closely at the remaining two and they also looked soiled, only a little less so.

WTF? Is the company that makes or distributes these facecloths selling dirty, soiled product? Is it dust or dirt build-up from shipping? A chemical reaction to my laundry detergent (I use Tide)?

And before you say anything about how dirty I am, it's not coming from me because there's no way I'm THAT dirty.

Not even washing these cloths gets rid of the brown spots. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 3208/21/2013

Dude, they were 25 cents each. You get what you pay for.

by Anonymousreply 108/19/2013

Who the fuck buys things at the Dollar Store?

by Anonymousreply 208/19/2013

Faux Naive Troll with a dash of class-baiting.

by Anonymousreply 308/19/2013

So you claim they're selling soiled towels, but they only become soiled after you have used them?

You're a filthy little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 408/19/2013

I've purchased cheap cloths before, to wash the pool furniture etc with, it is a bit disturbing that those brown stains appear when they get wet.

by Anonymousreply 508/19/2013

Damn, and I thought I was cheap for buying wash cloths at Conway for a buck a piece.

by Anonymousreply 608/19/2013

They get dirty after you use them? With brown stains? Are you wiping your hiney hole with them? Your entire post makes no sense. They are a fucking quarter a piece. Just throw them all out and go buy some QUALITY cloths. What the hell is WRONG with you?

by Anonymousreply 708/19/2013

OP, you're a straight dude, aren't ya?

by Anonymousreply 808/19/2013

Stop it please and leave the OP alone. The same thing happened to me, it's so strange. I use them just for wiping up water splashes around the sink. I noticed it one day and was very surprised how stained they look. Before you gunts get of MY case, I keep a spotless house.

by Anonymousreply 908/19/2013

OP, i dont know what youre talking bout gurl.

by Anonymousreply 1008/19/2013

There are a few things that are worth buying there. I get the foil disposable roasting pans from there, and pens. Wrapping paper or gift bags. Basically, things that are only going to be used once or very briefly and then tossed out.

by Anonymousreply 1108/19/2013

Many cloth items made overseas are treated with some chemical to keep or kill bugs that can get into the boxes when shipped. Worked retail ay one time and we had a shipment of baby blankets come in. Two days after the stockroom was filled with flies. And there were still larvae left in the boxes. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 1208/19/2013

OP, most of us with humble beginnings learned this lesson when our parents got one over on us as kids with toys from the Dollar Store. They usually were broken the next day. Unfortunate for those who have to learn as adults!

by Anonymousreply 1308/19/2013

"I threw them in the wash and proceeded to use them in the shower."

OP, using those cheap towels 'down there' is like putting dollars to doughnuts.

by Anonymousreply 1408/19/2013

There are things I buy at the Dollar Store because they are a good deal. I don't even go down most aisles because there's nothing there I want.

I've had a dozen colored cotton washcloths from Family Dollar for over 10 years and have not had this problem. I paid more than a quarter for them, around 80 or 90 cents.

It's obvious there was a reason OP's washcloths were so inexpensive. Sometimes when you buy things that are really cheap, you get burned. Decide whether you can live with the brown spots after washing them a couple of times with the Dollar Store's version of OxyClean. If the spots bother you too much, throw them away.

by Anonymousreply 1508/19/2013

I can't believe how easily fooled some of you are. This is an EST. He's yanking your chains by claiming he bought things at the dollar store, used them on his body in the shower, and found brown stains on them. He knew that would hit all your sore spots about poop and about retail.

by Anonymousreply 1608/19/2013

I don't buy anything at the dollar store except tampons, condoms and fresh fish.

by Anonymousreply 1708/19/2013

This is not an EST. See R3.

by Anonymousreply 1808/19/2013

This reminds me of that [italic]Extreme Cheapskates[/italic] show on TLC where some woman made her family use cut-up rags to save on toilet paper. If memory serves, they showed a close-up of the shit stains that not even regular washing would remove.

by Anonymousreply 1908/19/2013

So OP, go back to DOLLARAMA and buy a box of RIT Dye.

Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 2008/19/2013

I'm conducting an experiment.

I bought a new 4-pack of white facecloths at the same store ($2!). I carefully checked for any discoloration. None. White, pristine, and new. I threw them in the laundry and when they were dry again checked for discoloration. None.

I used one in the shower this morning so I'll see if any grunginess develops. I did take note that I squirt my shower gel in the middle of the cloth, the same are where the discoloration develops. But surely it can't be that. It's just normal shower gel.

by Anonymousreply 2108/20/2013

Look into it

by Anonymousreply 2208/20/2013

OP, Thank you. Whether or not this is a EST post, these types of threads always include valuable info for those who choose to read.

I've very rarely been burned by the 99c or the Dollar Store, but always read the label on everything and hope for the best.

by Anonymousreply 2308/20/2013

OP, do the brown spots smell like feces?

by Anonymousreply 2408/20/2013

No. Curry.

by Anonymousreply 2508/20/2013

I get batteries at the Dollar store for camera and flashlights when they're on sale.

by Anonymousreply 2608/21/2013

[quote]I did take note that I squirt my shower gel in the middle of the cloth, the same are where the discoloration develops. But surely it can't be that.

Apparently, it can be that. The linked thread (at Gardenweb's laundry forum) has a lengthy discussion of the issue. Quite a few people reported the same problem with a variety of shower gels, body washes and liquid soaps. Aveeno body wash seems especially troublesome.

by Anonymousreply 2708/21/2013

R17 I actually have bought condoms at the 99 Cents Only Store. Should I be worried?

by Anonymousreply 2808/21/2013

You should consider rechargeables.

by Anonymousreply 2908/21/2013

Do they carry feminine hygiene products?

by Anonymousreply 3008/21/2013

Used diapers are rare and valuable in Pakistan, a mark of prosperity, and are quite worthy to be exported and sold at the seemingly exorbitant price of twenty-five cents American. The value is evident and any Pakistani face would be honored to be wafted by such precious textiles.

Obviously this story is part of India's longstanding public relations campaign to supplant our exports of used diapers for American face-washery cloths with their own used-bandage-and-corpse-wrapping industry.

by Anonymousreply 3108/21/2013

"Do they carry feminine hygiene products?"

Oh Cheryl, go ahead and pay just a dolla, it'll make you holla, you'll be doing the wild thang.

by Anonymousreply 3208/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!