Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'Rizzoli & Isles' star Lee Thompson Young dead of apparent suicide at 29

Lee Thompson Young, who plays Det. Barry Frost on TNT's "Rizzoli & Isles," has died at the age of 29.

TMZ reports that the young actor, who starred on the Disney Channel hit "The Famous Jett Jackson" in the late '90s, was discovered on Monday (Aug.19) with a gun shot wound that appears to have been self-inflicted.

According to the report, when Young failed to show up to the "Rizzoli & Isles" set on Monday morning, staffers on the show called his landlord to check in on him. When the landlord entered Young's home, he discovered the body.

Beyond breakout role and his current job, Young starred in the 2004 movie version of "Friday Night Lights" and had a major guest arc on ABC's "FlashForward" in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 8111/02/2013

Whew! At first I thought you meant me!

by Anonymousreply 108/19/2013

He was 'The Famous Janet Jackson' on Nickelodeon and 'Cyborg' on Smallville.

by Anonymousreply 208/19/2013

I did too, R1. Thank goodness you're still with us.

by Anonymousreply 308/19/2013

NO!!!! Not Jett Jackson!

by Anonymousreply 408/19/2013

I thought he meant ME! Whew!

by Anonymousreply 508/19/2013

Numerous acting credits and was the star of a tv show that had 70 episodes and he still had a landlord?

by Anonymousreply 608/19/2013

I might as well be dead!

by Anonymousreply 708/19/2013

Handsome - kind of like a younger Taye Diggs.

So I guess you could say he had a hot ass, then he died.

by Anonymousreply 808/19/2013

No R8, the meme is, "He had a hot ass, but I guess he couldn't live forever."

by Anonymousreply 908/19/2013

He doesn't resemble Taye Diggs at all. Both are attractive guys, but R8 must be blind.

by Anonymousreply 1008/19/2013

He rose to fame as the star of the Disney show “The Famous Jett Jackson,” which aired from 1998 to 2001. He went on to act in films including “Friday Night Lights” (as Chris Comer) and “Akeelah and the Bee.”

by Anonymousreply 1108/19/2013

[quote]Young is part of the stable of actors (Raven Symone, Shia LaBeouf, Melissa Joan Hart) who holds a nostalgic place in the hearts of millennials who grew up watching him on TV. On The Famous Jett Jackson, Young played an actor who moves the production of his secret-agent TV show to his North Carolina hometown to be closer to friends.

by Anonymousreply 1208/19/2013

Very, very sad.

by Anonymousreply 1308/19/2013

Strange. Just a couple of days ago I was thinking back on Disney shows I watched while growing up, and I was trying my best to remember the name of his show.

He was such a cute guy.

Really sad news.

by Anonymousreply 1408/19/2013

I loved Jett Jackson growing up, the show was so positive. The Disney Channel was all about Lee Thompson Young, Hillary Duff, Taj Mowry, Raven Symone, and Shia LeBeouf back then. Really sad news.

by Anonymousreply 1508/19/2013

And yet I still survive.

by Anonymousreply 1608/19/2013

Don't forget me! I thought I was dead for a second there, too! Because I'm still Young!

by Anonymousreply 1708/19/2013

Thinks like this just make me curious... what would make someone that good looking and that successful want to take his life?

It's none of my business, but given my own struggles with depression and suicidal thoughts (and NOT being good looking, in a relationship/loved, or very successful otherwise) it always floors me when someone who seems to have it all (or at least a lot more than me) goes through with it. It makes me want to understand.

by Anonymousreply 1808/19/2013

What is "Rizzoli & Isles"?

by Anonymousreply 1908/19/2013

It's always sadder when attractive people die.

by Anonymousreply 2008/19/2013

r18, Im thinking the same thing. But as the age old saying goes, you can't judge a book by its cover.

And being all those things, good looking, in a relationship/loved, or very successful otherwise, does not make a happy person. Who knows what personal struggles he had. It's so unfortunate that he ended up like this.

by Anonymousreply 2108/19/2013

I'd have blown my brains out too, if I still had a landlord.

by Anonymousreply 2208/19/2013

I can play black...

by Anonymousreply 2308/19/2013

The closet claims another.

by Anonymousreply 2408/19/2013

That was my first thought, R24.

Poor kid.

by Anonymousreply 2508/19/2013

He was beautiful - loved him on Smallville.

by Anonymousreply 2608/19/2013

I've been dead for decades

by Anonymousreply 2708/19/2013

R19, it is an Italian pasta dish.

by Anonymousreply 2808/19/2013

He is crossing the rainbow bridge, being led by Karen Black. It is just so sad.

by Anonymousreply 2908/19/2013

He was adorable. Another Disney kid.

by Anonymousreply 3008/19/2013

He was a sweetie on Rizzoli and Isles.

by Anonymousreply 3108/19/2013

Anyone know if he was indeed gay?

by Anonymousreply 3208/21/2013

R32 Only his hairdresser knows for sure.

by Anonymousreply 3308/21/2013

I'm sorry to say I'm not surprised considering he's a Disney kid. He was almost certainly a victim of trauma-based mind control.

by Anonymousreply 3408/21/2013

Bump For lazy moron who started a new thread.

by Anonymousreply 3508/21/2013

Of course I can believe that he was gay and closeted and that led to his suicide. Of course. While we'll probably never know what happened, if we did learn that he was "struggling with his sexuality", it wouldn't surprise me at all.

But, do gays actually believe that non-gay men commit suicide? Seriously. I've never seen a suicide thread on DL where the vast majority of opinions of why the person killed himself did not posit that the person was gay, closeted, etc.

Because suicide is so prevalent and such an issue (that we actually talk about) in out community, have we taken full ownership of it as a cause of death?

So, do you believe that nearly every male suicide is tied to gay sexuality?

by Anonymousreply 3608/21/2013

They did a little tribute to him at the end of last night's Rizzoli and Isles

by Anonymousreply 3708/21/2013

Oh, no. I really liked that kid. Very talented.

RIP.

by Anonymousreply 3808/21/2013

Humans are not permitted on the Rainbow Bridge, Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 3908/21/2013

r36, yes we'll never know and it's annoying that this is always the speculation. But if it is true, that he decided he'd rather be dead than gay, I agree with his decision. No sympathy for cowering closet-cases in 2013, especially attractive, successful actors.

by Anonymousreply 4008/21/2013

So gorgeous and talented. What a loss.

by Anonymousreply 4108/21/2013

[quote] So, do you believe that nearly every male suicide is tied to gay sexuality?

Only attractive ones

by Anonymousreply 4208/21/2013

R[39] you made me laugh out loud

by Anonymousreply 4308/21/2013

I thought them two dykes were the stars?

by Anonymousreply 4408/21/2013

Whatever the reason was for his suicide, it's still sad. I really feel for the family and friends of him. It's unfortunate he couldn't get the help he needed.

by Anonymousreply 4508/21/2013

Saw him on FlashForward. All I remember from the series were his arms. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 4608/21/2013

[quote]those close to Young noticed things "really changed" a few years ago when he began practicing Yorùbá, an Africa-based religion which has a saying, "iku ya j'esin", meaning "death is preferable to ignominy." Some have questioned whether this means that suicide is an acceptable way to preserve personal or family honor in the face of public shame.

by Anonymousreply 4808/21/2013

[quote]Some have questioned whether this means that suicide is an acceptable way to preserve personal or family honor in the face of public shame.

R48 Why couldn't Madonna have chosen Yoruba instead of Kabbalah?

by Anonymousreply 4908/21/2013

Why does everyone think he is gay? Just because he killed himself? I've never heard any gossip about the guy and he never pinged for me. Of course that means nothing but I'm more inclined to believe that he was just fucked up by the industry. He was a child star and all the Disney kids didn't turn out well.

by Anonymousreply 5008/22/2013

Are you new, R50? This is the Datalounge, where you're presumed gay until proven straight. And even then we're still not totally sure.

by Anonymousreply 5108/22/2013

He's fine, he sends his love.

by Anonymousreply 5208/22/2013

LOL @ R51. I get the point but what I'm asking is was there talk about him being gay elsewhere or is it something that just started here?

by Anonymousreply 5308/22/2013

R50, he pinged to me.

This is hard to articulate but I wonder if some people get into show business because they think fame will complete them. You know, that it will fill some deep yearning they have possessed for as long as they can remember. And then, when they achieve a certain level of fame, they realize the hole in their lives is still empty. I think a lot of young entertainers and actors start drinking or doing drugs when that realization hits them. And some probably kill themselves. This guy got into show business as a teen, right? His mother is very religious. There is no mention of a father. I think there is so much in his background that could cause deep unhappiness and eventual depression. It's too bad that he was so good at hiding the pain.

by Anonymousreply 5408/22/2013

How does Disney get away with a kid performer body count this big?

by Anonymousreply 5508/22/2013

"Of course that means nothing but I'm more inclined to believe that he was just fucked up by the industry. He was a child star and all the Disney kids didn't turn out well."

Unlike a lot of fucked-up ex child stars he was gainfully employed, not a criminal or a druggie, and people who knew him said he was a great guy.

by Anonymousreply 5608/22/2013

He should have drunk the Sanka.

by Anonymousreply 5708/22/2013

Random and probably sketchy but I saw someone say that people with down-turned/bedroom eyes are more prone to sadness and depression when talking about Gia Allemand, and this guy has similar eyes to me.

by Anonymousreply 5908/23/2013

[quote]Unlike a lot of fucked-up ex child stars he was gainfully employed, not a criminal or a druggie, and people who knew him said he was a great guy

Nobody is saying he was a druggie or a bad guy. Everything points to him being a great guy. But he had his problems. Most child stars do. His family said that he saw a few doctors to deal with his depression and he had been looking for answers in his religion. Most Disney kids didn't turn out as well adults. It's a shame he couldn't deal with his depression.

by Anonymousreply 6008/23/2013

"Nobody is saying he was a druggie or a bad guy. Everything points to him being a great guy. But he had his problems. Most child stars do. His family said that he saw a few doctors to deal with his depression and he had been looking for answers in his religion. Most Disney kids didn't turn out as well adults"

Where is the evidence that "most" child stars have problems? All people have to support that position is anecdotal evidence. Also, there isn't any statistical evidence to prove that "most" Disney kids haven't turned out well. In reality, his depression was probably caused by something other than his status as a former child star. Based on what has been reported, it seems like his religious beliefs may have had a lot to do with his unhappiness.

by Anonymousreply 6108/23/2013

Damn, those eyes. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 6208/23/2013

It's possible this was the result of side effects from a prescription medication.

by Anonymousreply 6308/23/2013

He's a member of this mysterious religion called Ifa. Everyone wore white at his memorial service.

I'd like to know more about that.

by Anonymousreply 6408/23/2013

He was deeply into a conservative African religion and quoted some shit about 'death before shame to the family' more than once. He didn't drink or do drugs (and nowadays, actors who do are open about it).

What does anyone else think the 'shame' crap was all about? He was 29 and unmarried, an actor, and hiding from something in religion.

It doesn't take being GLBT yourself to think the most likely cause of his shame was internalized homophobia; on the other hand, given the number of people on here who've gone through suicidal feelings, there probably are a lot of people who might jump to that conclusion.

All in all, however, what does anyone else think that makes sense? It's not 'claiming' suicidality for gay people, but recognizing there is more of it.

Hope there's a ton less in the next generation of GLBT people.

by Anonymousreply 6508/23/2013

You mean LGBT, r65?

by Anonymousreply 6608/24/2013

Ifa is not a "conservative" belief system; reducing every spiritual belief to Conservative Chistianity simply reflects your incredible ignorance. The bottom line is that none of you know why this guy killed himself, so you are speculating based on your simplistic prejudices. Maybe he killed himself because coming out would have meant having to turn to people like you with his pain.

by Anonymousreply 6708/24/2013

I'm pretty sure there are lot of straight dudes having depression and wondering about suicide. It's certainly not a gay only thing.

And with Young is the police even 100 % sure that it was a suicide? Could very well have been a murder disguised as suicide.

by Anonymousreply 6808/24/2013

Of course lots of actors commit suicide. And, homosexuality certainly did not have to be the reason here. But, it definitely could be.

by Anonymousreply 6908/24/2013

rip

he was a total hottit

his eyes always looked sad to me

by Anonymousreply 7008/29/2013

We're going to crack the case wide open.

by Anonymousreply 7211/02/2013

Smizing.

by Anonymousreply 7311/02/2013

Is he still dead?

by Anonymousreply 7411/02/2013

R71, you don't hear about because it may be even more stigmatized in the black community so people don't talk about it or don't get treatment.

by Anonymousreply 7511/02/2013

R71, please go away. And take your ignorance with you. You have NO idea what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 7611/02/2013

Nina Simone would throw a drink in your face, r71

by Anonymousreply 7711/02/2013

What screws child stars up is when they are no longer cute and the phone stops ringing. He didn't have that problem.

by Anonymousreply 7811/02/2013

Mental illness isn't always the result of personal experiences. There may not have been any issue like sexuality or abuse that led to his bipolarity.

by Anonymousreply 7911/02/2013

This is still so sad. Did he have a significant other?

by Anonymousreply 8011/02/2013

Do you have any link to these quotes, R65? People can have breakdowns, sudden deep depressions and need treatment. It seems as though he knew a lot of people, but did not have anyone who lived with him or was connected to him on a daily basis. It is possible that if he had a close friend or family member here who could have gotten him to a hospital, he might be alive.

by Anonymousreply 8111/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.