Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Reigning World Figure Skating Champion Patrick Chan has no interest in Sochi protest "My job is to skate"

Patrick Chan says he plans to mind his own business once he lands in Russia for the 2014 Sochi Olympics, now marred by the country’s recent anti-gay laws.

Chan doesn’t plan to protest Russia’s controversial policy, which outlaws any form of homosexual “propaganda,” like some other athletes did at the World Athletics Championships in Moscow.

“My job is to skate,” Chan said Sunday. “I’m not disputing anything, I’m not a politician.

“I think I’m the biggest contender for a gold medal at the Olympics,” he said.

“I don’t have time to preoccupy myself with that kind of stuff,” he said. “I’m already stressed out enough about just getting this program out in time for Sochi.”

by Anonymousreply 7602/16/2014

HATE him. I wish there was somebody else, anybody else who could upset him for the gold medal.

by Anonymousreply 108/19/2013

R1 why the hate?

by Anonymousreply 208/19/2013

Wow, what an idiot. He just created a huge backlash against him - after all, everyone knows that figure skating is THE gayest sport in existence.

by Anonymousreply 308/19/2013

Olympic athletes have every right to focus on their competitions. Aside from the distraction, engaging in what is perceived as political activity can disqualify them from the games.

by Anonymousreply 408/19/2013

True, R4. We have every right to criticize them, though, and distract them from that goal.

by Anonymousreply 508/19/2013

They train for decades for what boils down to a 4 minute performance.

by Anonymousreply 708/19/2013

It shouldn't be their job to dance whatever dance steps, politically, that the LGBT "community" wants them to. They are athletes. It's nice when they do, like that cute runner dude last week. But R1's reaction is a bit out of proportion. Maybe focus some of that hate onto the IOC or, even better, Putin.

by Anonymousreply 808/19/2013

"Their chance to compete for a medal is what matters, period."

To you and them, sure. However, there are millions of people who watch the Olympics simply because of the spirit of equality and camaraderie behind them. I don't watch traditional sporting events, but I do watch every Olympics for that reason. There WILL be continued criticism and there WILL be intrusion on their athletic lives by policy and cultural expectations. Feeble protests about the athlete's ambitions will stop nothing - it is the nature of the purposely global (i.e. inclusive) Olympic Games.

by Anonymousreply 908/19/2013

[quote]Olympic athletes have every right to focus on their competitions.

Exactly. At the same time, one would have the hope that, unlike Chan, they would have the imtelligence to learn to string two words together: "No comment!"

by Anonymousreply 1008/19/2013

Saying no comment makes him look even worse!

by Anonymousreply 1108/19/2013

LOL! That should be "intelligence" - Oh, dear to me!

by Anonymousreply 1208/19/2013

R9 is correct. These athletes don't exist in a vacuum, no matter how much the Republicans on this board would like to deflect. Go on with the Games in Sochi, of course - the athletes should be prepared, though, to share their thoughts on the homophobic law. Remember, this is the real world, and not some fantasy 'sports only!' dream.

by Anonymousreply 1308/19/2013

Selfish cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1408/19/2013

The irony is that Johnny Weir has no shot of making the Olympic team, and he is the most outspoken on this issue.

He will have to go to the Sochi Olympics, as a spectator.

by Anonymousreply 1608/19/2013

Sorry, but bruatality and discrimination against gays or anyone else is bigger than the Olympics.

If this were happening against Jews or blacks, the U.S and other countries would be boycotting.

Boycott Sochi.

by Anonymousreply 1708/19/2013

Letting athletes who have trained for years to be among the best in world compete is Republican, R13? You're a simpleton.

by Anonymousreply 1808/19/2013

The two Black Americans who raised their fists in protest at the 1968 Mexico City games were not only stripped of their medals R17, but they received death threats and were ostracized. And IIRC, President Carter didn't withdraw US competitors from the 76 Games in protest of South Africa participating (although he did in 1980 because of Russians invading Afghanistan). So don't bring race into it R17. And no one, I mean no one even thought about withdrawing from the 1936 games in Berlin. As a matter of fact, two Jewish American athletes were asked NOT to compete in one of the track what are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 1908/19/2013

What a completely insensitive asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2008/19/2013

No, he just sounds realistic to me, R18. Being a simpleton (or a disingenuous, anti-gay Republican) is believing that the media and society will naturally refrain from asking these athletes about their own stances on a very relevant issue. No one is going to withhold questioning these 'delicate flower' athletes just to quell your whining, hon.

by Anonymousreply 2108/19/2013

It is not "whining" simply because you disagree (apparently). Nor is it only Republicans who don't demand that these athletes sacrifice their life's ambition as a gesture of support for gay rights. Knowing how much it would cost them, only a self-centered asshole would advocate this gesture.

by Anonymousreply 2208/19/2013

Are you going to hunt down every reporter and citizen who wants answers from athletes on the anti-gay Russian law? Will you defend their collective ambitions from a multitude seeking civil rights? Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 2308/19/2013

The athletes are competing in an athletic contest; no more. Notice that no one demanded that the Miss Universe Pageant be held in a place other than Russia this year and, other than Andy Cohen no fuss was made. Perhaps some gays like female beauty pageants more than the Olympics. If so, why didn't you demand that the girls either pull out or make a statement condemning Russia?

by Anonymousreply 2408/19/2013

R19, Two Jewish-Americans asked not to compete, simply because of their religion and cultural heritage? Were there any Blacks in Nazi Germany, Austria, or the other countries they invaded?

I was so happy to learn that the outstanding athlete Jesse Owens broke records and won Gold Medals that year. I remember the biopic when the Americans put their hands over their hearts, walking past Hitler, in defiance. So many other countries gave the hiel (sp) Hitler salute.

by Anonymousreply 2508/19/2013

I need to see 17 more face pics, but I dont send mine. DISCREET!

by Anonymousreply 2608/19/2013

how... republican of him.

"i gots my agenda, and fuck the gays".

by Anonymousreply 2708/19/2013

I am not saying people should be prevented from asking the athletes their opinion. I am saying the athletes are not obliged to protest. I can't even begin to imagine how you conflate these two ideas.

by Anonymousreply 2808/19/2013

r19, they were NOT stripped of their medals. Yes, they were ostracized by the U.S. government and athletic organizations in the following years, but they got to keep their medals.

by Anonymousreply 2908/19/2013

Get to it, R24 and R28! Take out those people who want to question the athletes! Keep the errant athletes from protesting! We're waiting...

by Anonymousreply 3008/19/2013

R24 and R28 are like children flinging rocks at an incoming tidal wave. If they hate gays that much, they'll be sorely disappointed when this issue only picks up steam in the coming months.

by Anonymousreply 3108/19/2013

R19. As a global society in general, we've become more enlightened than we were in 1936 and even in 1976.

If 1936 (Berlin hosted the Olympics) were repeated against Jews, there would international outrage. Why is not happening when the subject is gays?

And in 1976, South Africa did not host the Olympics. So you're comparing apples to oranges. The notion of a boycott only surfaces when we're talking about the host country (e.g., Russia invading Afghanistan in 1980)--not boycotting because of a participating country as was South Africa in 1976...and a reltively small country at that.

by Anonymousreply 3208/19/2013

You know what is childish, R31? Believing that a poster who disagrees with you must be some kind of deranged caricature of pure evil. It is beyond childish. It indicates an unstable mind.

by Anonymousreply 3308/19/2013

[quote] It is beyond childish. It indicates an unstable mind.

Welcome to Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 3408/19/2013

Please, R33. Your homophobia might be sanctioned in your daily life, but you'll encounter resistance on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 3508/19/2013

I assume you are posting from the airport on your way to Russia to protest the laws or are at least camping out in front of the nearest Russian consulate, R35? Or do you prefer to sit on your ass while you insist straight people sacrifice their careers for you and call anyone who disagrees a gay hater?

by Anonymousreply 3608/19/2013

He's doing a heck of a lot more than you, R36. You're actively supporting the perpetuation of homophobia. Defend that, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3708/19/2013

Again--since you appear to be slow: I am NOT actively supporting the perpetuation of homophobia because I don't think the athletes are obligated to toss their careers to protest Russian laws. You really are somewhat imbalanced if you really equate the two.

by Anonymousreply 3808/19/2013

"I am NOT actively supporting the perpetuation of homophobia"

But you are, Blanche, you are.

If you can't see that, then you are the one who is slow. This is a gay site, not a sports site. We support gay rights here, not diaphanous athlete dreams.

by Anonymousreply 3908/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 4008/19/2013

IF the oppression, torture, and murder of an entire class of people is something you can "just ignore", then you're sub-human and not worthy of any support.

This guy, Patrick Chan, is a fucking asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4108/19/2013

What are you doing about it, R41? Typing furiously on Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 4208/19/2013

R42, do you have reading comprehension problems?

by Anonymousreply 4308/19/2013

What a hateful little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4408/19/2013

New Yorkers are famous for criticizing everything and everyone on DL and for demanding things be done to correct it. Yet, when protests and demonstrations are organized, most of them say," I'm too busy, but you should do it." How about organizing a boycott in NYC, since the media centers are there? How about a demonstration of some kind in the "heart of the universe"? Or, are you too busy?

by Anonymousreply 4508/19/2013

His skating is often of as little interest.

by Anonymousreply 4608/19/2013

[quote] His skating is often of as little interest.

Despite being a three-time World Champion

by Anonymousreply 4708/19/2013

[quote]So you're comparing apples to oranges.

Well, they are both fruit.

by Anonymousreply 4808/19/2013

[quote]I’m not disputing anything, I’m not a politician.

How very brave. I suppose Paul Robeson could have been "just an actor"...

by Anonymousreply 4908/19/2013

R26 is the poster with punctuation issues seen elsewhere today. We see that here she cannot locate an apostrophe to include in her typically smart-ass post.

by Anonymousreply 5008/19/2013

[quote]New Yorkers are famous for criticizing everything and everyone on DL and for demanding things be done to correct it.

For Chrissakes Mary, give that tired rant A FUCKING REST, will you?

by Anonymousreply 5108/19/2013

That does it, get me Tonya Harding on the line!

by Anonymousreply 5208/19/2013

R51, it's tired, but still very true.Own it.

by Anonymousreply 5308/19/2013

Patrick Chan will not win in Sochi.

by Anonymousreply 5408/19/2013

Who will win R54

by Anonymousreply 5508/19/2013

What is it with Asian Americans? They're a bunch of nasty, work obsessed cunts (see: Michelle Kwan). Is it Tiger Mom Syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 5608/19/2013

Patrick is Canadian ( technically in America), but still Canada. And, it's nice that someone works in the US.

by Anonymousreply 5708/19/2013

[quote]I am NOT actively supporting the perpetuation of homophobia because I don't think the athletes are obligated to toss their careers to protest Russian laws.

The USA athletes were obligated to toss their careers aside at the time of the 1944 games. Instead they strapped on guns and fought for their country. Do you think they should have first gone to London to compete in an Olympiad?

by Anonymousreply 5808/19/2013

r58 In 1944, Olympic hopefuls were not the bought-and-paid-for whores they are now.

by Anonymousreply 5908/19/2013

There were no 1944 Olympics, you moron.

by Anonymousreply 6008/19/2013

I'm sorry Missy, but I have problems of my own!

by Anonymousreply 6108/19/2013

Does he work in a nail salon? Will they give him time off?

by Anonymousreply 6208/19/2013

Everyone knows that, R60. That's why R58 says the athletes were "obligated to toss their careers aside". Get it?

by Anonymousreply 6308/19/2013

During August 1940, prisoners of war celebrated a "special Olympics" called International Prisoner-of-War Olympic Games. These were inaugurated and celebrated in stalag number XIII-A in Langwasser close to Nuremberg, Germany.

An Olympic flag 29 by 46 cm in size was made of a Polish prisoner’s shirt and, drawn in crayon, it featured the Olympic rings and banners for Belgium, France, Great Britain, Norway, Poland and Netherlands. A feature film was produced by the director Andrzej Kotkowski in 1980 called "Olimpiada '40" telling the story of these games and one of the prisoners of war, Teodor Niewiadomski.

by Anonymousreply 6408/19/2013

While it's great for athletes to show solidarity with gays and lesbians, there's not that much that they can actually do. They want to compete. The one that needs to take a stand is the United States, not just the competitors! You're own government's not cracking down on them.

by Anonymousreply 6508/19/2013

Shouldn't we be protesting the fact that they don't allow same-sex pairs and ice dancing?

by Anonymousreply 6608/19/2013

[quote]You're own government's not cracking down on them.

SoS John Kerry met with Russia's Foreign Minister in DC last week discussing their human rights violations regarding glbt people.

by Anonymousreply 6708/19/2013

Wouldn't he be Number One on the "The Athlete Least Expected Not To Give A Crap About Anyone But Himself" List?

If nothing else, if he stood up for lgbt people the gay rumors would start again. And Chan would not like that.

by Anonymousreply 6808/19/2013

[quote]Everyone knows that, [R60]. That's why [R58] says the athletes were "obligated to toss their careers aside". Get it?

The entire world was obligated to toss their careers aside. Are you seriously comparing the wearing of a rainbow ribbon in Sochi to World War II?

by Anonymousreply 6908/19/2013

I didn't make that comparison; R58 did. I merely said that everyone knows that there were no Olympic Games in 1944. Do you know what Troll-Dar is? Don't assume that everyone who hates you - there are many people arrayed against you here - is the same person.

by Anonymousreply 7008/19/2013

Chan is definitely responding as Skate Canada told him to.

Remember, this organizations director, Barb MacDonald, was in charge of communications for an Evangelical Christian group in Ottawa, who was promoting a cure for homosexuality, when Skate Canada hired her, in 2010.

It is the figure skating culture up there, not just Chan. Chan is a byproduct of that culture.

by Anonymousreply 7109/30/2013

Both Plushenko and Lyschek are out of this year's mens singles.

Daisuke Takahashi came in third at his Nationals, and barely made the team.

Oda is off the Olympic team.

Much more clear path for Chan to win Gold.

by Anonymousreply 7201/13/2014

We been PHOBED!

by Anonymousreply 7301/13/2014

Plushenko is BACK!

by Anonymousreply 7401/29/2014

I bet all the complainers who think the athletes who've trained all their lives for Olympic competition should withdraw in protest are the ones who fill up the threads about bariatric surgery

by Anonymousreply 7501/29/2014

Well it turns out that Patrick didn't skate very well.

by Anonymousreply 7602/16/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!