Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think learning a second language should not be made compulsory?

In Canada, we HAVE to learn French from grades 1 to 10. And I know it's the same in the U.S. except it's Spanish that you have to learn. What's the point? Most of us won't use French or Spanish in our lives, it does not help with our jobs (for most of us).

Plus, it messes with our English. For French, some words are almost exactly English with the exception of an extra alphabet. Plus for those of you who argue that it "broadens" our minds. EVERYTHING broadens our minds, learning a new sport, playing a new instrument, learning dancing...etc. We should be allowed to choose not to learn another language.

by Anonymousreply 2008/19/2013

[quote]And I know it's the same in the U.S. except it's Spanish that you have to learn.

Nope. Absolutely false on that count. My shitty public HS required no foreign language, and at age 50 learning Portuguese has been nearly impossible.

And do we really need to remind you that you live in a bilingual country?

by Anonymousreply 108/19/2013

[quote]We should be allowed to choose not to learn another language.

Yes, by all means, let's do everything we can to remain idiots compared to Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 208/19/2013

[quote]I know it's the same in the U.S. except it's Spanish that you have to learn.

Is this something that's beginning this year? I don't think our school district got the word on this requirement.

by Anonymousreply 308/19/2013

OP, you sound like an ignorant lazy fuck. Yes, many people never use the language again once they finish school, but that's not the point. You could argue 'you won't use it again' for many things you do at school. In an ideal world it is about broadening your mind. And your English suffers? Really?

by Anonymousreply 408/19/2013

R1 beat me to it, there is no compulsory second language education in the U.S..

As a matter of fact, I think there should be, and, though it's not for me to say, I can certainly see why compulsory French education would make sense.

OP, we learn many things in school which we don't use on our jobs. That doesn't mean that there isn't a great advantage to learning them.

And learning a foreign language doesn't mess with one's command of English. Quite the opposite. Learning another language actually helps one master English, particularly (though by no means limited to) the romance languages, precisely because a great many English words have Latin roots.

"Plus for those of you who argue that it "broadens" our minds. EVERYTHING broadens our minds, learning a new sport, playing a new instrument, learning dancing...etc. We should be allowed to choose not to learn another language."

Yes, and broadening our minds is exactly what the education system is meant to do. And your examples - sports, music and dance instruction - are for that very reason compulsory in a great many educational systems.

by Anonymousreply 508/19/2013

Ummmm... I went to school in Canada, and French was not compulsory.

by Anonymousreply 708/19/2013

Yes, only stupid Americans think otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 808/19/2013

[quote]What a lazy fuck. You can learn Portugese at 50. Geez!

É bom dificil á 50 anos, viado. Não posso lembrei todos as palavres.

by Anonymousreply 908/19/2013

Living in a border state to Mexico, Spanish was compulsory, starting in the 6th grade. Depending on your major, UCLA also required studying a 2nd language. I've actually felt that my Spanish, and high school French courses, were far more useful than my knowledge of American history. Learning a 2nd or 3rd language should be very strongly encouraged.

by Anonymousreply 1008/19/2013

Europeans really have to learn multiple languages because their countries are small and so close together. There really isn't a need for Americans to do the same.

by Anonymousreply 1208/19/2013

I took 2 years of Spanish in HS. I graduated in 1987. I remember none of it except a few common vocabulary words.

by Anonymousreply 1308/19/2013

Not only do I think it should be mandatory to learn a second language, in addition I think American Sign Language should be a requirement as well.

by Anonymousreply 1408/19/2013

Quite the opposite, OP. I think at least two languages in addition to English should be compulsory.

But it needs to start at the elementary-school level.

And it sounds like your "confusion" stems from laziness. Learning different languages actually made my understanding of English more concrete.

In this day and age, why would you even ask such a silly question?

by Anonymousreply 1508/19/2013

r15 is so superior she could barely bring herself to type a response!

by Anonymousreply 1608/19/2013

R12,

That used to be a usable argument maybe fifty years ago, but we're no longer restricted by geographical borders like we were. And if you haven't noticed, Spanish is becoming a key language in many US cities.

Americans love their monolingualism. The rest of the world mocks us for it, and rightfully so.

by Anonymousreply 1808/19/2013

I took two years of high school Latin. It seemed to help me pick up Spanish with ease when I began working in South America. Then it helped with Italian when I was working in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 1908/19/2013

Hardly, R15. My fingers raced across the keyboard without hesitation when this absurd question popped up! And not a single nail cracked.

by Anonymousreply 2008/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.