Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How many of you volunteer time, and for what?

I'm working for my local food bank (warehouse), and answering phones for PBS/NPR pledge drives.

by Anonymousreply 2208/19/2013

Docent at art museum.

by Anonymousreply 108/18/2013

Food bank, medical clinic for homeless, NPR fund drives, library.

by Anonymousreply 208/18/2013

I give free blow jobs behind the gloryhole in stall #3 on the 4th floor of the university library. I don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, or dick size. C'mon down and say hello.

by Anonymousreply 308/18/2013

Food rescue once a week (truck driver).

Our route covers five grocery stores and we collect meat, dairy, produce, bakery, frozen, and miscellaneous.

We bring this food back to a central warehouse where it is parsed and made ready for pick up for various charities, food banks, soup kitchens. rehab centers, battered women's shelters, adult daycares, etc.

About 10 routes are run daily manned by other volunteers.

by Anonymousreply 408/18/2013

I used to and while I was volunteering, Republican criminals were running Wall Street and destroying our government. Politics should be our only and our obsessive free time activity. We need to take out country back and establish democracy in it. Everything else is just ego masturbation.

by Anonymousreply 508/18/2013

I volunteer and help manage other volunteers to maintain the small parks in my neighborhood. Our city does nothing for the small pocket parks, so my group conducts fund raising activities and uses the profits for plantings and general maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 608/18/2013

I want something like SAGE outside of Chicago. I'm handy and bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 708/18/2013

I drive seniors to medical appointments.

by Anonymousreply 808/18/2013

I used to do Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, but employees badmouthed all the volunteers.

It was fun because I'd see what people earned for their work.

It was also heartbreaking; fathers with nine children they failed to support trying to claim dependency or mothers with four children trying to make ends meet. It was a race during preparation season to see who claimed a child first.

I stopped volunteering in 2010 to take care of my dad. I figured that if I ensured he wore pants, it was my public assistance.

by Anonymousreply 908/18/2013

hospice

by Anonymousreply 1008/18/2013

Cat rescue -- feral colony management, TNR (trap, neuter, release), & help with adoption centers at pet supply stores.

I used to drive patients to treatment appointments for the American Cancer Society, but their coordination became too erratic for my schedule. For those who can be more flexible than I could, it is a very helpful program.

I also used to work at the polls, but the shifts got too long for me to handle.

by Anonymousreply 1108/18/2013

R11, do you ever wonder if those feral cats go back to their colonies with wild-eyed stories of alien abduction complete with probes? Of course the other cats don't believe them.

by Anonymousreply 1208/18/2013

I was laid off from my volunteer job! SERIOUSLY!!

by Anonymousreply 1308/18/2013

I used to volunteer. I did it out of a need to do something with my time besides go to gay bars, and also to have it seen on my résumé. Paid off job wise. I met a few good people, but it was depressing to see how those on welfare and public assistance truly live. There was abusive landlords that robbed their own tenants and slums where rape and child abuse were all too common. Seeing people suffer while those that are there to help them, abuse them was downright disgusting. The worst part was the women's shelters where drug use and low self worth contributed to cycles of women always going back to theirs abusers/dealers, with kids in tow. When your only role models are druggie moms and loser dads, you can tell what those kids were going to grow up to be. I decided that it was better to support local abortion initiatives, at least the cycle could be destroyed...

by Anonymousreply 1408/18/2013

I know they do, R12. I see them warning the others, while being scoffed at & shunned -- but we always manage to trap all of them, eventually.

by Anonymousreply 1508/18/2013

volunteer my time throughout the year to lgbtq youth counselling, amnesty international, and animal charities.

by Anonymousreply 1608/18/2013

Volunteer at a local homeless shelter and work bingo night at a very poor Catholic parish in my city.

by Anonymousreply 1708/19/2013

Fuck NO>>>>>>>>

by Anonymousreply 1808/19/2013

You seem like a great human being, r18!

You cannot think of a single reason to give something freely of yourself, with no return expected?

Good day to you, I said GOOD DAY!

by Anonymousreply 1908/19/2013

Animal shelter -- making sure puppies and kittens get attention so they're used to humans, spending individual time with adult animals, occasionally scooping out litter boxes and picking up poop.

I'll work with potential adopters sometimes (older people and lesbian couples are my favorites), but if a family with three screaming, running-around kids comes in looking for Fido or Fluffy, I'm outta there.

by Anonymousreply 2008/19/2013

I ran a food bank supported by 8 churches. The pastors were all lazy parasites. The government should have been providing the service that we were providing. The whole thing was an exercise in futility. The churches just wanted members, but in terms of solving social problems, it was no good without the government.

by Anonymousreply 2108/19/2013

Red Cross disaster response. Mostly fires.

by Anonymousreply 2208/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.