Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm in Los Angeles for the weekend. And I'm surprised at how friendly people are? This is a front, right?

Mind you, I definitely don't look like I come from money so I'm surprised people are nice.

by Anonymousreply 3108/19/2013

It's the weather. It makes everyone nice (compared to NY at least)

by Anonymousreply 108/18/2013

Where are you from OP?

by Anonymousreply 208/18/2013

Makes you realize what a huge bitch you are OP? Be honest.

by Anonymousreply 308/18/2013

I'm a lifelong East Coaster who notices a difference in people out in LA. They are much nicer. And like r2 says, I think it's the weather too. And the fact that so many people are cooped up in cars all day, human interactions are more welcomed.

by Anonymousreply 408/18/2013

If it's not your money then they might be after you organs (kidneys, liver, etc)

by Anonymousreply 508/18/2013

It's all fake.

They are all nice and friendly, but there is no substance to it.

People in California (in general) are as shallow as a kiddie pool.

by Anonymousreply 608/18/2013

I think it's Californians in general. I lived in the midwest for twenty years (college town and Chicago), but grew up in California. I hadn't given thought to "friendliness" before I moved away. I moved back recently and really noticed the contrast compared to Chicago. And I thought it was relatively friendly for a large city with such a diverse population. (I lived on the north side). Hands down, people in CA are more friendly and polite.

by Anonymousreply 808/18/2013

Were you carrying a "Jennifer" bag?

by Anonymousreply 908/18/2013

R2, I'm originally from Chicago and am now living in the Bay Area.

R3, I'm not bitchy at all actually. Unless I have a good reason to be. Most people would describe me as nice but maybe a bit anti-social

I guess I'm surprised because I am usually good at sniffing out BS, especially from people who are only nice because its their job (service folks, etc). But so far, people seem genuinely nice. I hope I'm not jinxing myself.

by Anonymousreply 1008/18/2013

R7 here. I meant "you've" not "you're", sorry about this.

by Anonymousreply 1108/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 1208/18/2013

What R6 said.

I love California but so many people are FOS. In LA it's entertainment industry phoney and in SF, it's new agey phoney.

by Anonymousreply 1308/18/2013

R13, I'm curious as to how the people are FOS in your opinion? I'm not denying what you said; I'm just curious as to what you've experienced. Do people tend to lie about their entertainment industry background? Are they fake-nice because they want connections? Etc etc

by Anonymousreply 1408/18/2013

FWIW, I'm in Sacramento and I've experienced friendly/polite from strangers on the street, grocery store, etc. I have absolutely nothing to do with them and have nothing to offer them. I've also noticed service staff are far more likely to provide friendly (not forced) service. In the very least polite/civil. I was used to indifferent/minimally helpful people. Sometimes checkers/staff at stores looked perpetually gruff.

So imagine my surprise when I saw a recent poll where Sacramento was #10 on the list of least friendly cities. I guess I have either become a pollyanna or live in an exceptionally nice area. Or the list was bunk.

by Anonymousreply 1508/18/2013

Was that list on MarketWatch? Some of their lists are BS.

by Anonymousreply 1608/18/2013

They're acting.

by Anonymousreply 1708/18/2013

I'm so happy for you OP, enjoy the experience. I wish I was in LA right now.

by Anonymousreply 1808/18/2013

I can't remember. I just saw the headline of "#10" when I was at work and was called away before I could read it. Forgot all about it until this thread. I'll have to look for it.

by Anonymousreply 1908/18/2013

I was in LA a couple of weeks ago (I'm from Toronto, by the way) and was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the people I dealt with.

by Anonymousreply 2008/18/2013

First of all, not everyone in LA is connected to "the business." I've lived in the area since 1987 and don't know ANYONE connected with TV or movies.

Second, since a lot of people are from somewhere else, we do try to help others out since we were likely in the same situation at one time or another. I found the same to be true when I lived in the Washington DC area, which also has a lot of transplants.

by Anonymousreply 2108/18/2013

I've visited LA many times and have been surprised by how friendly people have been, even in stores on Rodeo Drive and the few famous people I've met.

No, I'm not particularly good looking or wealthy looking.

by Anonymousreply 2208/18/2013

It's the west coast in big cities in general for the most part. I can't say the same about rural towns, however.

by Anonymousreply 2308/18/2013

i just left Los Angeles, and people are noticeably friendlier there than in the midwest. It goes back to the transplant thing, and networking/events, people are open to making new friends in LA. I miss it for that fact. There's also more of an open-minded, casual feel good vibe in LA. I've found people in the midwest to be snobby, close minded, and rude for the most part. Everyone looks the same VS LA's diversity. Some midwesterners are nice but it's impossible to break into already-existing circles.

by Anonymousreply 2408/18/2013

We love you OP! Sincerely!

by Anonymousreply 2508/18/2013

Someone told me that the air in Los Angeles is dreadful, that there are zero puffy clouds in the sky, and that you can't even see the stars at night.

Sounds dreadful. This Air Force brat will stay in the southeast(where my dad retired).

by Anonymousreply 2608/18/2013

I have asthma and visited LA several times and never had a problem. They're supposed to have such bad air quality. In Boston or NYC however, during the hot summer months, eek.

by Anonymousreply 2708/18/2013

R26 ?

Errrr...you cannot be serious with that post.

by Anonymousreply 2808/18/2013

Hey, that's what I was told by someone who had just spent a yr there.

by Anonymousreply 2908/18/2013

I agree with the poster who said you chalk it up to the transplant culture. Weather is also a significant factor, as we don't have the hellish winters and insane humidity other parts of the country experience. People are more relaxed. OTOH, there is some truth the the 'superficial' stereotype about CA, especially SoCal - people never say whats on their mind because they wouldn't dare risk marring a potential connection.

by Anonymousreply 3008/18/2013

Friendly but never friends.

by Anonymousreply 3108/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.