Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jay-Z : a new Beatle or just a good business man?

I watched Jay-Z on Real Time with Bill Maher and his performance art video after. I don't find him to be talented- but he sells his brand well- much like Justin Timberlake he wants us to buy the brand not the insight.

But I also found him to be aloof, cold, and uncomfortable. His wife has a kind of Diana Ross vibe. It is as though fame makes them believe they are great talents.

Does he have real talents or excellent PR?

by Anonymousreply 2611/23/2013

I think the OP presents a false dichotomy between the Beatles and good business men, because: 1) a good artist can also be a good business man, and 2) the Beatles were not good artists.

by Anonymousreply 208/18/2013

[quote]the Beatles were not good artists.

Well, that's an interesting opinion.

by Anonymousreply 308/18/2013

Empty barrel.

by Anonymousreply 408/18/2013

Completely overrated!

I rather go to a Dolly Parton concert than go see him or his lip synching wife. And I am not even a country music fan.

by Anonymousreply 508/18/2013

[quote]Does he have real talents?

Oh, honey, I could tell you stories ...

by Anonymousreply 608/18/2013

I just watched the Picasso thing he did at the Pace gallery a couple of months ago. The credits are as long as an indie feature film. What was the budget? A few million? Just to film Jay-Z lip sync in front of a bunch of poseurs for a couple of hours. When The National did the exact same thing some months before Jay-Z "got the idea" they sang their song live. He couldn't even do that.

by Anonymousreply 811/23/2013

LOL at R7!

That queeny response reminds me of that JT interview on Oprah back a few years ago. He acted EXACTLY like that with Queen O. So, great mimicry!

by Anonymousreply 911/23/2013

He's been hugely successful in a number of creative, game-changing ways from a business perspective, including in his musical career. He seems like a very interesting guy.

But then his wife seems so boring and not very artistic, so you have to wonder.

Did you think he seemed gay, OP? There are whiffs of rumors but it's hard to get a read on it.

by Anonymousreply 1011/23/2013

Thank you, R3 The Beatles are the most overrated recording act of all time with Elivs and Madonna coming in 2nd and 3rd.

That said, most of the most successful recording acts are great at getting and keeping exposure. It really is more about that aspect of the business than talent.

by Anonymousreply 1111/23/2013

[quote] But then his wife seems so boring and not very artistic, so you have to wonder.

Hate to say - her talent may be disputed but she is classicly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 1211/23/2013

Jay Z fucken own da Beatles an Elvis an Madoona an Micheal Jacksen. Jay Z da fucken bomb. He a mogul.

by Anonymousreply 1311/23/2013

He got rich because he constantly steals other peoples music. He can't sing, he does not play an instrument. He is ugly as hell. I am surprised about the amount of people who are dumb enough to buy his shit. He was drug dealer, stabbed a person with a knife and shot his brother for stealing his jewelry.

by Anonymousreply 1411/23/2013

He no barbie doll like Mario Lopez or whatever but he's not unattractive. Pretty sure he's not even my type, he strikes me as a top, but I can still see how he's an attractive guy.

by Anonymousreply 1511/23/2013

People who grew up with him said he was a terrible drug dealer and got robbed all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1611/23/2013

Hey SugarPants at R12 . I think you're forgetting someone on that list. One more slight like that & I'll see to it that you'll never fucking dance again!

by Anonymousreply 1711/23/2013

I know it's shallow but I can't stand his face.

by Anonymousreply 1811/23/2013

Jay-Z filled the hip-hop vacuum left by the death of two far superior rappers: Tupac and Biggie.

Imagine John Boehner becoming president after the passing of Obama and Biden.

by Anonymousreply 1911/23/2013

"just a good business man"

Oh please, he is all hype and the walls are crumbling faster than anyone realized.

His "partnership" with Barneys exploded in his face when he actually blamed the victim in a particularly whiny tweet. (A young black man who was stupidly stopped by the police after legally buying an over-priced belt.) Now that the line has debuted, the products were rightly ridiculed as absurdly over-priced crap.

More crucially, he has succeeded in wrecking the career of Robinson Cano by asking for a 7 year, $300 million contract. The Yankees balked and basically said go elsewhere and good luck to you. The Mets met with him and then walked away from a deal this week. The days of huge contracts given to rapidly-aging superstars is over. I barely follow baseball and I know that.

by Anonymousreply 2011/23/2013

In his field/musical genre (Hip-Hop) Jay-Z was considered very talented (if not the best) in the mid to late 90's. I actually purchased his first 2 CD's. While his material consisted primarily of Rap's usual glorification of violence, drug-dealing, materialism & misogyny he was at least clever in his delivery & lyrical wordplay. He started to break outside of strictly a Rap audience & went mainstream/Top 40 around 1999/2000 with his third disc. (That's when I lost interest & my personal musical tastes started to change). The reason he's still around 16/17 years after his first chart hit is because he's obviously a smart businessman & made the right connections. He also wisely branched out into other areas of the entertainment business with great success. I personally can't stand the guy, his "music" or his wife but I respect his business acumen.

For the record.........from a musical standpoint a "Good Rapper" is simply a talented lyricist/poet who's able to vocally deliver those lyrics in an effective, creative manner. Personally, I'm not a Rap fan but I thought I would clarify this for those who aren't familiar with Rap (outside of what's mainstream) & those from an earlier generation.

by Anonymousreply 2111/23/2013

Also he spits his lyrics in one take with no notes, or at least that's the legend.

by Anonymousreply 2211/23/2013

Rap is the current Emperors New Clothes. Everyone knows it is total shit, but political correctness keeps the establishment from saying it.

Is Jay-Z still selling crack? Yep, he sold crack before he made it big selling a different kind of shit.

by Anonymousreply 2311/23/2013

[quote]The credits are as long as an indie feature film. What was the budget? A few million? Just to film Jay-Z lip sync in front of a bunch of poseurs for a couple of hours.

Hip Hop types usually have a lot of hangers on with no real talent or skill that need to leech off them. That is why they often end up in bankruptcy despite having made millions. Not that Jay-Z will end up bankrupt, he's loaded.

by Anonymousreply 2411/23/2013

[quote]Rap is the current Emperors New Clothes. Everyone knows it is total shit but political correctness keeps the establishment from saying it.

R24 , a small fraction of what you say is correct but your bigotry is blinding your view of the full picture. The truth of the matter is that THE MAJORITY OF MAINSTREAM MUSIC TODAY & OVER THE PAST 20 YEARS OR SO HAS BEEN SHIT! There's an equal lack of real musical talent in all musical genres across the board & you'll never convince me otherwise! People in the establishment media are reluctant to admit this fact because they want to be seen as "hip & trendy" & because they're paid shills working for the same corporate conglomerates as today's "musical artists".

by Anonymousreply 2511/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!