Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Coffee and Tea May Contribute to a Healthy Liver

Surprise! Your morning cup of tea or coffee may be doing more than just perking you up before work.

An international team of researchers led by Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School (Duke-NUS) and the Duke University School of Medicine suggest that increased caffeine intake may reduce fatty liver in people with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).

Worldwide, 70 percent of people diagnosed with diabetes and obesity have NAFLD, the major cause of fatty liver not due to excessive alcohol consumption. It is estimated that 30 percent of adults in the United States have this condition, and its prevalence is rising in Singapore. There are no effective treatments for NAFLD except diet and exercise.

Using cell culture and mouse models, the study authors -- led by Paul Yen, M.D., associate professor and research fellow, and Rohit Sinha, Ph.D of the Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School's Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disorders Program in Singapore -- observed that caffeine stimulates the metabolization of lipids stored in liver cells and decreased the fatty liver of mice that were fed a high-fat diet. These findings suggest that consuming the equivalent caffeine intake of four cups of coffee or tea a day may be beneficial in preventing and protecting against the progression of NAFLD in humans.

The findings will be published in the September issue of the journal Hepatology.

"This is the first detailed study of the mechanism for caffeine action on lipids in liver and the results are very interesting," Yen said. "Coffee and tea are so commonly consumed and the notion that they may be therapeutic, especially since they have a reputation for being "bad" for health, is especially enlightening."

The team said this research could lead to the development of caffeine-like drugs that do not have the usual side effects related to caffeine, but retain its therapeutic effects on the liver. It could serve as a starting point for studies on the full benefits of caffeine and related therapeutics in humans.

In addition to Yen and Sinha, collaborators included Christopher Newgard, PhD, director of the Sarah W. Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center at Duke University School of Medicine, where the metabolomics analysis of the data was conducted.

The study was supported by funding from Singapore's Agency for Science, Technology, and Research; the Ministry of Health; and the Ministry of Education.

by Anonymousreply 2008/18/2013

This is interesting. I'm 60 and have never drunk coffee in my life, but have recently started to do so. (I used to be addicted to Diet Coke.) And I have the fatty liver problem. I wonder if my switch to coffee will make a difference?

by Anonymousreply 108/18/2013

R1,

Maybe.

Or maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 208/18/2013

That is how science works R2. It is evidenced based testing and discovery. It doesn't deal with dogma.

by Anonymousreply 308/18/2013

Coffee and tea! But what about me!?

by Anonymousreply 408/18/2013

there have been many research studies in recent years that show coffee is good for the liver, i think there was one from Japan as well.

by Anonymousreply 508/18/2013

Ricky: I am sorry to hear you don't feel well, Mamacita. Are you having trouble with your lover?

Lucy: Liver!

Ricky: Are you having trouble with your liver?

by Anonymousreply 608/18/2013

My liver appreciates the challenge.

by Anonymousreply 708/18/2013

R3,

I know, I know--and there are liabilities and legalities and all the SMERSH.

I just find that sort of sly equivocation funny..

Eg. Blueberries may reverse years of free radical damage (or they may rot your braincells).

Fish oil may lengthen the health of your heart (while hastening prostate cancer).

You get me.

by Anonymousreply 808/18/2013

There was a study released by the Mayo Clinic this week that found that drinking over 4 cups of coffee a day increased your chance of early death. This study is being challenged by some, since it's not clear if heavy coffee consumption is the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 908/18/2013

Coffee might be good for your liver but it also might be terrible for your kidneys

by Anonymousreply 1008/18/2013

Does it matter what kind of tea? If the coffee is brewed or instant? What you add to the hot drink? How about taking into account that not all coffee and tea is brewed to the same strength?

by Anonymousreply 1108/18/2013

I thought that they just came out with a study that said that drinking coffee leads to a higher mortality rate? Fuck doctors.

by Anonymousreply 1208/18/2013

I hate it when they come out with conflicting stories about things like this.

by Anonymousreply 1308/18/2013

[quote]There was a study released by the Mayo Clinic this week that found that drinking over 4 cups of coffee a day increased your chance of early death. This study is being challenged by some, since it's not clear if heavy coffee consumption is the culprit.

Little things like heavy coffee drinkers tend to be smokers can really fuck up a study like this if it's not controlled for.

by Anonymousreply 1408/18/2013

Coffee is good for you but ONLY after you have eating a meal.

We don't have bitters in America, and coffee is a bitter digestive aid. So it is good for you and will cut the fat.

by Anonymousreply 1508/18/2013

Advil is bad for your liver, and Tylenol is bad for you kidneys.

by Anonymousreply 1608/18/2013

tylenol is the one that is bad for your liver.

by Anonymousreply 1708/18/2013

Beetroot is excellent for your liver. Eat enough of it and it cleans you out. Also a good food to eat if you have some acne, to help clear out your liver.

Beets, beets, more beets. They have no caffeine and hurt nothing!

by Anonymousreply 1808/18/2013

Beets cause kidney stones. Oxalic acid. Watch your beet intake.

by Anonymousreply 1908/18/2013

milk thistle is good for your liver. check it out. i take it every day.

by Anonymousreply 2008/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.