Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Diet overhaul advice needed

I know we've had a lot of diet and weight loss threads here, but I'm wanting nutritional advice. I grew up on processed foods and eat a lot of fast food as an adult. I'm busy and have not learned how to cook.

Is there a recommended goto book for planning menus and eating healthy? I want nutrient rich meals.

Stay away from sugar and starch, right? So what's for breakfast? And I don't like oatmeal without sugar.

by Anonymousreply 1708/18/2013

Have you tried oatmeal with cinnamon OP?

by Anonymousreply 108/18/2013

OP it sounds like you're just lazy.

You would be surprised to learn that foods have a taste to them other than just "sugar" or sweet. If you've been bombarding your taste buds with tons of sugar and sodium then you will need an adjustment period for the new tastes.

by Anonymousreply 208/18/2013

Hey OP!

How about adding fruit and cinnamon to your oatmeal? Google "eating clean" and see what pops up. I am on my phone now, but will find a few good book I have and post tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 308/18/2013

Try fresh fruit or dried fruit instead of sugar. Or yogurt with those things. If no carbs guess you'll be eating a lot of egg whites. Add one yolk for flavor, mix and make some omelets. Can add all kinds of stuff to omelets. Asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, avocados, little ham, chicken, tiny bit of cheese. Yada yada.

Overall, you can't go wrong with chicken breast and fresh veggies. If you're allowing carbs, avoid white starches. Switch to real wheat bread, brown rice, etc. Also, fish is a great healthy option. Check out epicurious.com for recipe ideas. And just be smart, cheese, butter, heavy cream, fried foods, fatty meats, etc are going to be bad for you. So use in moderation. Olive oil is a healthier option then butter or other oils. Low fat yogurt in place of cream, etc.

by Anonymousreply 408/18/2013

For breakfast and eggs with a bunch of veggies. You can put a whole box of spinach into an omlette and it shrinks to nothing.

If you don't like to cook green smoothies are a great way to get a ton of nutrients fiber and veggies in without eating 4 salads a day. dark green leafy veggies are packed with nutrition.

Dairy isn't great or necessary but avoid low fat dairy or low fat anything. it's worse than full fat. fresh mozzarella and goat cheese or feta and goat milk are better than others.

Nuts, except peanuts are great and beans too. just throw them into various dishes.

learn the difference between good fats and bad fats. find real olive oil (harder than you think) coconut oil is good. other vegetable oils can be tricky a lot depends on who it's made.

Basically try to get some proteins, veggies and good fat into most meals. Cut way back on wheat and sugar.

Drink lots of water.

You'll never be able to follow a perfect diet in our modern world but this book helps you learn about what we are eating and you can be better informed about what to get at the store.

by Anonymousreply 608/18/2013

No thanks

by Anonymousreply 808/18/2013

OP, Burger King is having a special this week: ANY two sandwiches for $5, that is a bargain.

by Anonymousreply 908/18/2013

Egg whites are bullshit, eat the whole egg.

by Anonymousreply 1008/18/2013

That's what I think, too, R10. And OP, for God's sake, put some dried fruit in the oatmeal and stop with the fucking sugar like you're a 2-year-old.

Try using some common sense.

by Anonymousreply 1108/18/2013

Oatmeal with Maple Syrup

NOT table syrup, the fake kind,

But the PURE maple syrup that comes straight from the tree.

Two tbs will satisfy your sugar need in oatmeal.

by Anonymousreply 1208/18/2013

More important than avoiding sugar, avoid sugar substitutes such as Aspartame, known as Nutra-Sweet and Equal. It is a poison to the body, outlawed in many countries. The body does not know how to process it and it will mess up your metabolism. Google it and learn. Eat as natural as you can, also avoiding anything with HFC High Fructose Cornsyrup. Good Luck.

by Anonymousreply 1308/18/2013

Do you have a trader joes nearby? You sound like the type of person that might do well with frozen meals. Obviously better to eat freshly prepared food, but their frozen meals are healthier, tastier and more affordable than most of what is out their. The spinach lasagna is a staple in my freezer.

by Anonymousreply 1408/18/2013

Thanks everyone. I ordered the recommended book at R6.

by Anonymousreply 1508/18/2013

do the South Beach diet. you won't be hungry and you'll be healthy, and you'll lose lots of weight.

by Anonymousreply 1608/18/2013

I usually feel better when I stop drinking diet cola. It is like an addiction for me unfortunately. Going through the withdrawal headache this weekend as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 1708/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.