Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

MOMMIE DEAREST star dishes on the crazy Faye Dunaway!

Rutanya Alda looks smashing! Why didn't she have a bigger career?

by Anonymousreply 10308/24/2013

Did anyone in that movie have much of a career left after it was released?

by Anonymousreply 108/17/2013

That is some funny shit. Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 208/17/2013

That was great thanks OP. Rutanya looks great for 71.

by Anonymousreply 308/17/2013

But she's not . . . Hollywood Royalty!

by Anonymousreply 408/17/2013

Good stuff!

by Anonymousreply 508/17/2013

Thanks, op, that was fun.

by Anonymousreply 608/17/2013

I will never, ever tire of anything related to Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 708/17/2013

Fabulous and funny.

by Anonymousreply 808/17/2013

Eighteen years in the business and we parted friends! Creative differences!

by Anonymousreply 908/17/2013

Can't wait for her book to come out.

by Anonymousreply 1008/17/2013

Rutanya Alda is absolutely amazing. I will worship her, and hold her in the highest esteem with all the power vested in me, but I still scream for more "behind-the-scenes" Mommie Dearest crumbs... Cray-cray-Faye can go jump out a damn window.

Spill those fucking beans, Carol-Anne!!!

by Anonymousreply 1108/17/2013

She looks better as a real life old woman then she did as a fake when in Mommie Dearest. Her old age makeup in that was laughable.

by Anonymousreply 1208/17/2013

I love you, OP...

by Anonymousreply 1308/17/2013

I always thought that her over-the-top old lady make up made the film even more campy!

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2013

Is she related to Alan Alda?

by Anonymousreply 1508/17/2013

Steve Forrest was quite hot....he was around 57 at this time too!

by Anonymousreply 1608/18/2013

I don't think she is, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1708/18/2013

r15

No. She is not related to Alan Alda. She was born in Latvia.

by Anonymousreply 1808/18/2013

There's a question and answer with her afterwards too

by Anonymousreply 1908/18/2013

She look better than Madge at 55.

by Anonymousreply 2008/18/2013

Was Crawford a shoo in for the Oscar the year she won? The other nominees seem kind of weak:

The Bells of St. Mary's: Ingrid Bergman The Valley of Decision: Greer Garson Love Letters: Jennifer Jones Leave Her to Heaven: Gene Tierney

You'd think she would have attended.

by Anonymousreply 2108/18/2013

Has Scarwid ever spoken about the film? Seems like it really hurt her career.

by Anonymousreply 2208/18/2013

Diana Scarwid was on Frank DeCaro's Sirius show several years ago, and I remember that she told him that she thought the movie did a great public service by bringing the subject of child abuse out in the open....

by Anonymousreply 2308/18/2013

R21 I always thought Tierney should have won....that was truly a brave performance and is still shocking today

by Anonymousreply 2408/18/2013

I agree r24 but I wonder what the feeling was at the time.

by Anonymousreply 2508/18/2013

Why is Tierney shocking? I've never seen the movie so don't reveal too much!!!

by Anonymousreply 2608/18/2013

Gene's performance is shocking because of the graphic scene where she masturbates while reading the bible.

by Anonymousreply 2708/18/2013

well R27, it's hard without revealing too much....but an A list actress doing the things the character does in the course of the film is pretty shocking

by Anonymousreply 2808/18/2013

ooops I meant R26

by Anonymousreply 2908/18/2013

r27, are you serious? was that movie "pre code"? ....that's pretty shocking. ...didn't seem to have a negative effect on her career it would seem.

by Anonymousreply 3008/18/2013

I should also say that the scene where Tierney spreads her father's ashes is one of the most weirdly erotic scenes in cinema history

by Anonymousreply 3108/18/2013

No R27 is not serious

by Anonymousreply 3208/18/2013

When did Dunaway get so fucking crazy? Was she like this early on? in the Bonnie and Clyde days?

I recall Meagan M of Will and Grace telling a hilarious and near jaw dropping story of visiting Faye's home in the days before M started acting. She'd been summoned by La Dunaway to bring her home made jewelry by for Faye's inspection.

I can't find the interview with M on Youtube. Does anybody recall seeing this interview on some talk show? Very much worth a watch. Faye cray cray.

by Anonymousreply 3308/18/2013

I've heard horror stories. She's a crazy bitch and just one of the most toxic, negative people ever.

Staff rarely lasts more than a few weeks. She trusts no one, so she just tests them and tests them, and then when the inevitable blowup comes, they've "betrayed" her, blah, blah, blah.

by Anonymousreply 3408/18/2013

I vaguely remember it, R33. I remember Megan imitating Dunaway saying something like "My lotion. Bring me my lotion." Something very odd and quite funny. I think it was on Leno 2001 or 2002.

by Anonymousreply 3508/18/2013

[quote]When did Dunaway get so fucking crazy? Was she like this early on? in the Bonnie and Clyde days?

that book about 70's films that is often discussed here...title anyone?...paints Dunaway as kind of erratic

by Anonymousreply 3608/18/2013

EASY RIDERS AND RAGING BULLS?

by Anonymousreply 3708/19/2013

I worked with Dunaway in the mid 1990's in Canada. She is obsessive about hair and make-up to the point of disorder and chaos for even small budget productions. She was no longer a big star then but you could tell that she expected certain privileges due the artist and star. It was not vanity exactly. She was quite strange.

The story about her hair plucked by Polanski and her freakout can be nothing but the truth. Read the Vanity Fair article about her at the time of Barfly if you can find it. Before all the surgery, after her fall, but before she realized it was over. Very interesting. Deep in drugs for sure, and a high strung neurotic. She really was a very good actress and beautiful woman in a modern way, but a bad, bad star. The epitome of entitlement - projecting her nerves to all around, and consulting all the wrong people. She trusted no one.

She took it as far as she could when she could get away with it. Faye is not a team player, very self important, and kind of sad. She was not an outright bitch on set - she is too unaware of others to be so pointed. But she throws her sense of talent and it's importance around in a wide swath. She dictates how one can help her and is loud when it is not to her liking. One on one she can be quite sweet. She is unfortunately nuts. I still think she gets a bit of a bad rap. I have worked with worse. I must be crazy.

by Anonymousreply 3808/19/2013

The title of this thread mentions "star," but the only "STAR" in that clip is ME. And I am not one to "dish" about myself, "crazy" or otherwise. Please desist in mocking me, and please stop discussing that damned film or I will have my legal team shut this site down!

by Anonymousreply 3908/19/2013

R37 That's a great book, well worth a read if you can pick it up cheap.

I'm sure this is said in a lot of Mommie Dearest/Faye threads down the years but I actually thought she was pretty good in that movie. The script might have been over the top but I thought Faye was convincing in among it all and did a good job. I think she won one of the critics award for it. (And of course, a Razzie)

by Anonymousreply 4008/19/2013

No one's mentioned Faye being a borderline personalty, or bi - polar. It would explain a lot. Either that, or as 'Carol Ann' says, relating what "MD" costume designer , Irene Sharaff, said about Faye, when she ran into her one day , during filming " I will not work with that, that drug addict, ever again".

by Anonymousreply 4108/19/2013

yes r37...that is the book

really gross story from the book:

I forget what film it was but Dunaway used to pee in a bucket and throw it out the window.

by Anonymousreply 4208/19/2013

Here she is in a rare moment, discussing the film.

by Anonymousreply 4308/19/2013

I've noticed she can't even say the title....she always calls it "The Crawford"

by Anonymousreply 4408/19/2013

No, Terry (aka r41), it was VIVIENNE WALKER, the hair stylist, who said that.

Ms. Walker was a well-respected professional, who had worked throughout Joan Crawford's career. She prepared a series of gorgeous period pieces, which were summarily dismissed by FD.

FD insisted that the producers hire Goldie Hawn's hairdresser from "Private Benjamin" because she wanted her hair to look like THAT.

by Anonymousreply 4508/19/2013

My bad. I misremembered.

by Anonymousreply 4708/19/2013

But R39, we are NOT one of your FAAAAANS!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4808/19/2013

In that interview, Faye does speak the truth about the film. Her comments are spot on in that the director did NOT modulate the film, did not reel in Faye's performance. And she even admits it was all rather "kabuki," which is what everyone says, at least about the "no wire hangars" scene. Faye may be crazy but she is very professional and articulate (and rather gracious, actually) in that Actors Studio interview. I had never heard her ever even speak about Mommie Dearest before. That may the first (and only) time she has ever discussed it publicly. Watch her body language during the interview. She has everything crossed tightly as she talks about the movie. VERY defended and cautious.

by Anonymousreply 4908/19/2013

It's too bad that Faye can't relax about "Mommie Dearest" and have fun with it, like Patty Duke did with "Valley of the Dolls."

by Anonymousreply 5008/19/2013

Faye in her 20s was also what is now referred to as a "sexual compulsive." In those days she'd be referred to as a nympho. Screwed everything-pizza delivery boys, plumbers, didn't matter what they looked like. This is according to a friend of mine who was her roommate at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 5108/19/2013

[bold]WHY CAN'T WE TALK ABOUT POSITIVE THINGS?![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 5208/19/2013

[quote]I always thought that her over-the-top old lady make up made the film even more campy!

I totally agree. That and Diana Scarwid's occasional slip-ups with her Georgia accent were the icing on the cake.

by Anonymousreply 5308/19/2013

[after discovering dirt underneath a large indoor planter]

Joan Crawford: Ohhhh... Helga. When you polish the floor, you have the move the tree. If you can't do something right, don't do it at all.

Helga: I'm sorry, Miss Crawford...

Joan Crawford: Gimmie the soap. You see, Carol Ann, you've got to stay on top of things every single minute.

[doorbell rings]

Joan Crawford: Carol Ann, will you get that?

Carol Ann: Yes, Miss Crawford.

Joan Crawford: Helga, I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the dirt.

by Anonymousreply 5408/19/2013

Having has a parent that was a sociopath, the night raids, the over the top rages, the guilt trips, etc. that make up most of Faye's performace were recognizable to me. Perhaps she went too far for film, but I always thought it was a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 5508/19/2013

Joan Crawford wasn't a sociopath, she most likely had narcissistic personality disorder and was possibly bipolar. Like many, many people with mental illness she self-medicated with massive amounts of alcohol which of course only made things much worse.

by Anonymousreply 5608/19/2013

Rutanya seems like a kick. Fun stories.

by Anonymousreply 5708/19/2013

R54 Yes, we've AAALLLLLLLLLLL seen the movie.

by Anonymousreply 5808/19/2013

Just talked last night with my friend who worked at ABC (I'm talked about him before in the Sally Field Programme threads) to ask about Cray Cray Dunaway.

He said that she'd begged the heads of ABC, particularly Steve McPherson, to develop something for her for years.

Then she begged for a guest spot. No showrunner wanted to work with her. Eventually, through some chip owed, Shonda Rhimes pulled the short straw and had to write her into Grey's.

Because she thought it was an "audition" for her own show she was well behaved and only asked for one thing when she got the script: that she not call Sandra Oh's character "Christina," to avoid comparisons to Mommie Dearest.

I was so disappointed at the time, too. I wanted to hear her say "Christina! DAMN IT!"

by Anonymousreply 5908/19/2013

r56 - clinical narcissists are sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 6008/19/2013

Isn't is just sad that that mesmerizing beauty from Bonnie and Clyde, who was SUCH a star and even a style icon (berets!) morphed into the crazy woman we are talking about today?

by Anonymousreply 6108/19/2013

Helga was Large Marge.

by Anonymousreply 6208/19/2013

R62

O! M! F! G!

I never realized that!

by Anonymousreply 6308/19/2013

[quote]It's too bad that Faye can't relax about "Mommie Dearest" and have fun with it, like Patty Duke did with "Valley of the Dolls."

Well, if Faye had a gay son like Patty did, perhaps things would be different.

by Anonymousreply 6408/19/2013

Can you imagine if she made a cameo on this season's American Horror Story:Coven??? Holy fuckballs, that would be one of the battiest batshit craziest sets in history.

by Anonymousreply 6508/20/2013

It took Patty Duke a very long time to come around to enjoying Valley of the Dolls -- it's only maybe been 10 years that she's been willing to talk and laugh about it.

Since Mommie Dearest was filmed 10 years after Valley of the Dolls, maybe Faye's about to turn a corner and start attending midnight screenings of "The Crawford"!

If Dunaway was willing to show a sense of humor about it, it could pave the way for a bit of a career renaissance.

by Anonymousreply 6608/20/2013

I wish this was on youtube:

I had a tape of it for a while but can't find it.

Once Faye was on the Tom Snyder Show when he was on after Letterman. At one point he says (seemingly totally unaware of her feelings) "you know what movie of yours I always watch when it is on...." yes he said Mommie Dearest and proceeded to rave about her work.. Faye was surprisingly gracious and said something like well I don't know about that. She then proceeded to say similar stuff about how Frank Perry cut the film wrong and made it too campy. AND Faye is a great actress...she barely flinched when he said you know what film I love of yours...MD. Wow. I wonder what happened after the show.

by Anonymousreply 6708/20/2013

Well, Tom Snyder's dead, isn't he ! No proof, but ............

by Anonymousreply 6808/20/2013

I used to fantasize a lot about Tom Snyder. I loved his chuckle. He was a big one too, way over 6 feet tall. I am in Philly and that is where Tom really came into his own as a TV personality. It was a sad day for me when he went network.

Rule Rutanya! Alda looks fantastic, why isn't she working more?

by Anonymousreply 6908/20/2013

Dizzy Gillespie once got really mad at a guy I know who asked him whether it was really true he'd been kicked out of the Cab Calloway band for throwing a spitball.

by Anonymousreply 7008/20/2013

Is Rutanya's diary published and out yet? Was she in other films that we might know?

She has a lovely mischievous way of telling those stories that is very winning and doesn't make her seem too catty.

by Anonymousreply 7108/20/2013

[quote] Was she in other films that we might know?

If only there was a website where you could look up all the film and television appearances of an actor/actress.....

by Anonymousreply 7208/20/2013

I come here for discussion r72. Not lists.

by Anonymousreply 7308/20/2013

Rutanya seems like a lovely woman.

by Anonymousreply 7408/20/2013

R71/R73 You ask stupid questions, you get pointed at and laughed at when you get answered.

by Anonymousreply 7508/20/2013

I don't come her for lists either. So why ask someone to post one with her films r71/r73 when you can go to imdb.com?

by Anonymousreply 7608/20/2013

I wonder is the deleted scenes from Mommie Dearest will ever be released in our lifetimes. I know there are at least five of them. I have no idea why Paramount is still sitting on those scenes; a DVD edition with them included would be a big seller for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 7708/20/2013

I know Faye is a crazy bitch, but I will ALWAYS love her for tossing a cup of urine on Roman Polanski during the filming of Chinatown

by Anonymousreply 7808/20/2013

we had a whole thread on this but: but the sheer beauty of the way Faye's dress looked while flapping in the breeze when she was dangling in the scenic elevator in The Towering Inferno entitles her to do anything she wants, EVER!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7908/20/2013

r79, if I remember correctly, wasn't she wearing a see through dress.

by Anonymousreply 8008/20/2013

[quote] I wonder is the deleted scenes from Mommie Dearest will ever be released in our lifetimes. I know there are at least five of them. I have no idea why Paramount is still sitting on those scenes; a DVD edition with them included would be a big seller for obvious reasons.

Would love to see them!

by Anonymousreply 8108/20/2013

The image of Faye as JC descending that Art Deco double stairwell holding baby Christina is also ethereal.

by Anonymousreply 8208/20/2013

[quote] if I remember correctly, wasn't she wearing a see through dress.

not really, Faye was always kind of modest about things like that. The sex scene in Network really bothered her and on Inside the Actor Studio she refused to give Lipton a swear word.

Miss Dunaway is a lady.

by Anonymousreply 8308/20/2013

A CRAZY lady

by Anonymousreply 8408/20/2013

actually Rutanya paints Mara as quit the little bitch.

plus she got fat! huge!!

by Anonymousreply 8508/20/2013

I guess R83 thinks Lauren Bacall is quite a sweetheart, too. (rolls eyes)

by Anonymousreply 8608/21/2013

r86 don't you understand sarcasm? what....are you from Canada

by Anonymousreply 8708/21/2013

[quote] Miss Dunaway is a lady.

No, but she's played one in the movies. At some point, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 8808/21/2013

[quote]MOMMIE DEAREST star

You use the term “star” very loosely

by Anonymousreply 8908/21/2013

[quote]don't you understand sarcasm?

[bold]UNDERSTAND.[/bold] That's the first word I heard from any of you. There'll be time to understand when I'm old, if I ever AM old.

by Anonymousreply 9008/21/2013

Faye's reputation as a Queen Bitch was cemented when none other than Bette Davis called her the most unprofessional actress she'd ever worked with.

by Anonymousreply 9108/21/2013

Christmas carrrds? Ah've ben stedyin' fer exay-ams!

by Anonymousreply 9208/21/2013

Diana Scarwid must have been a nervous wreck on that film. Most of her other performances before and after were pretty good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 9308/21/2013

Faye could work the nerves!

by Anonymousreply 9408/21/2013

I always loved Diana Scarwid... for just surviving that movie.

And thank to all of you who posted the clips and the insight.

Camp or kabuki, it is a FUN and well art-directed film. I can't NOT watch it if I find it on.

Faye was amazing and she should just own that she was scary good.

by Anonymousreply 9508/21/2013

anybody have any Diana Scarwid interviews? I've been searching but nothing really comes up.

by Anonymousreply 9608/21/2013

I will NEVAHHH raise my glass to Miss Dunaway!

by Anonymousreply 9708/21/2013

I loved Joan's Brentwood mansion in that movie, and of course her fabulous walk-in closet. Out of all the movie houses I've ever seen, I would love to live in that one.

by Anonymousreply 9808/21/2013

And I want that multi-head shower she's using at the beginning of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 9908/21/2013

Anyone ever notice how it goes into fast forward when she is choking Christina on the floor?

by Anonymousreply 10008/21/2013

R97 Dear Miss Davis,

You're dead. Good.

by Anonymousreply 10108/21/2013

Why did you adopt me?

by Anonymousreply 10208/22/2013

In terms of Davis -Dunaway hate, I heard it goes back to their making "The Disappearance Of Aimee" in 1976. Apparently, as she's well known for, Dunaway kept Davis (and cast & crew), waiting over, and over, in courtroom scenes, shot in an old Denver courthouse, in mid-summer, with sweltering heat, while Faye fussed with hair, and make-up. She WAS Bette fucking Davis ! Anyway, Davis felt insulted personally, and felt it was throughly unprofessional to do to the crew. She ended up despising Dunaway. Also may have had something to o with the fact that Crawford gave an interview once where she said the only actress with the talent, and glamour, to play her, would be Dunaway. If she had only known !!!

by Anonymousreply 10308/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.