Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Eric Stonestreet is the only Modern Family adult not nominated for an Emmy Award this year.

This is a milestone moment in the gay rights movement!!!

by Anonymousreply 2208/18/2013

This is a show nobody knows really in Europe, it's on TV on a very little TV-channel and you can buy it on DVD. I have no idea how it is in GB but the rest of Europe is not in the Modern Family fever.

When I first saw the show I was shocked how much chliche of a gay man is in it, horrible. Of course the working with chliches but with the gay couple it could be less. That's 100% chliche!

by Anonymousreply 108/17/2013

I look at it as a triumph. Eric Stonestreet comes across as pompous, smug and condescending. All the time.

by Anonymousreply 208/17/2013

I refused to watch that show because it just looked like gay clichés, like most of TV "gay" portrayals.

by Anonymousreply 308/17/2013

I believe he took himself out of contention OP.

by Anonymousreply 408/17/2013

you are wrong r4....he campaigned hard, even did the Hollywood Reporter "Give me an Emmy" round table

by Anonymousreply 508/17/2013

First, he's already won. Second, maybe he didn't submit a strong episode this year. You DO realize that the Emmy nominations (and awards) are based on a single episode, right?

by Anonymousreply 608/17/2013

Emmy wins are based on a single episode r6....not nominations. You DO realize that r6 don't you?

by Anonymousreply 708/17/2013

Oh no! What will become of shim?

by Anonymousreply 808/17/2013

Have they ever given an Emmy to a gay man playing a gay man? When a straight guy plays a gay guy everyone used to go on and on about how brave he is to kiss another man. I'm hoping the trend of overpraising straight actors for playing a gay character is over.

by Anonymousreply 908/17/2013

Sean Hayes r9 (but he wasn't out so that may not count)

let's ponder this question and see what we can come up with...any others?

by Anonymousreply 1008/17/2013

He's gay?

by Anonymousreply 1108/17/2013

I just want to see Ty Burrell naked. He's so fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 1208/17/2013

R7 WRONG!

by Anonymousreply 1308/17/2013

there are often hundreds of people submitted for a category like supporting actor in a comedy ..... do you think every voter watches a dvd of say 200 possible nominees r13

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2013

That fat straight guy is done. Time to move on to other career challenges. His version of a gay guy is now tired and over. It was funny for a few years. But the lisping and the flapping is old old old.

by Anonymousreply 1508/17/2013

R14 No, I'm saying what I said at R6. Both nominations AND wins (for "individual achievement" awards like best actor, etc.) are based on a single episode submitted by the potential nominee.

by Anonymousreply 1608/17/2013

[quote]Have they ever given an Emmy to a gay man playing a gay man? When a straight guy plays a gay guy everyone used to go on and on about how brave he is to kiss another man. I'm hoping the trend of overpraising straight actors for playing a gay character is over.

Yeah, the Emmy Committee thinks being gay and playing gay are less of an achievement. Stonestreet, a forty year old never married "straight" guy won the Emmy for his cliched over the top flamer against Chris Colfer, who's episode included him singing the shit out of "Rose's Turn". Colfer beat Stonestreet for the Golden Globe the same year.

by Anonymousreply 1708/17/2013

you are wrong r16...nominations are chosen by the academy at large, wins are based on a single episode viewed by a committee

ask goldderby if you don't believe me

by Anonymousreply 1808/17/2013

For what's worth. Series categories - six episodes. Individual achievement - one episode.

Members vote on nominees in their respective categories.

All members vote best program categories.

The part I don't understand is actual award is made by committees. Why? To keep the awards inline with financial goals?

It's wikipedia - so it could be all wrong.

I'm not sure I care - I just read the thread to try and figure out what Eric Stonestreet's lack of nomination has to do with gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 1908/18/2013

[quote]The part I don't understand is actual award is made by committees. Why? To keep the awards inline with financial goals?

So all 5 nominees get a fair chance at winning and the most popular show/actor doesn't automatically win. They have a small group of people who agree to watch each of the 5 nominee's submissions then they vote. Nowadays you can watch the DVDs at home so it is more suspect as to whether people actually watch them. Up until a few years ago members had to go to a hotel conference room and watch them together.

by Anonymousreply 2008/18/2013

I think his stupid "say no to cancer" (or whatever the tagline is) is so bad as to make me never want to see him again. The cause is worthy! - him, in the commercials - stupid beyond belief and description.

Like to see him next play a straight part...

by Anonymousreply 2108/18/2013

he sweats a lot when interviewed.......

by Anonymousreply 2208/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.