Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Russian Gays Look to U.S. for Asylum

"Alexander Kargaltsev, a 28-year-old Russian gay activist and filmmaker who received U.S. asylum, said he used to receive about one message a month from gay contacts in Russia asking how to seek asylum abroad. But this summer he said the number has climbed to practically one a day.

Mr. Kargaltsev believes it is a response to what he sees as Russia's increasing intolerance of homosexuality—part of a growing campaign against Western liberal values that has become a prominent feature of Russian politics since Mr. Putin's return to the presidency in 2012.

The new Russian laws come on the heels of local antigay regulations, such as the Moscow government's decision in 2012 to ban gay pride parades for a century. The Russian Orthodox Church's leader, Patriarch Kirill, last month described gay marriage as "a very dangerous sign of the apocalypse."

Such moves are popular in Russia, where gay sex has been legal since 1993 but homosexuality remains largely taboo. According to an April survey by the Levada Center, 73% of respondents said the government should suppress public expressions of homosexuality."

Man, I feel bad for these people. The Mexicans don't know how they lucky they have it. They can just crossed a border to come here.

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2013

please-I hope they come to little Russia in NY, the Boston area, NJ, and Philadelphia. I'm sure these Russians will be more tolerable than the annoying stereotypes that are usually found in those areas.

by Anonymousreply 108/16/2013

Formerly atheistic Russia now has religious leaders talking about End Times and doomsday. How psychologically unhealthy; worse that they're scapegoating a minority again.

What can DL do to help this brave filmmaker? Does he have NY or LA power/money connections?

by Anonymousreply 208/16/2013

They need to prove that they're gay by having sex with an American.

by Anonymousreply 408/17/2013

You may try posting that on Free Republic, R3, where your fellow troglodyte knuckledraggers can pat you on the back. How come you didn't manage to weave Benghazi into your screed? You Freepers are really slipping...

by Anonymousreply 508/17/2013

R3 Can you post that again, this time in English? Not everyone here understands standard word-salad.

by Anonymousreply 608/17/2013

I've stopped buying Russian vodka.

by Anonymousreply 708/17/2013

R5 Oh, you want the influence and authority, the respect, the weight of a superpower, _now_, because the Kremlin has US 2013's number, and is flipping us off re Snowden, and is issuing pink triangles.

Gee, if only we had a clue that this is how thugs react to the perception of weakness. Like, recorded human history?

But, sure, bitch about freepers. The world's tougher when you aren't shooting fish in a barrel, pet.

Maybe Barry can haul his Mount Olympus set out of mothballs and scold Vlad...

Wish Vlad was as worried about Valerie Jarrett as Darth Cheney? Ubetcha!

by Anonymousreply 808/17/2013

Just what we need, more Russians. Isn't there any other nation they can go to? Damn.

by Anonymousreply 908/17/2013

R6 Nyet. The Wi-Fi in Mockba airports is odd lately. Come to Mother Russia and we talk, spaciba?

Bitchy condescending snips about scrivener's errors.. I can see Vladimir shitting himself from my house!!

by Anonymousreply 1008/17/2013

Sadly, in a world where Western liberal democracies are aging and contracting, and the US is a rump power, like Britain post WWII, the emerging players like Putin and his BRIC partners, and the Islamists will more and more set the agenda.

We're a paper tiger, in a Weimar bubble, living on borrowed time.

Enjoy the years of languid decline, girls.

by Anonymousreply 1108/17/2013

See how desperate they are?

by Anonymousreply 1208/17/2013

R11 is talking out his ass. Russia is aging and in decline. Why do you think he is pulling this shit?

by Anonymousreply 1308/17/2013

I say, let them in!

"Give me your tired, your tsarinas, your campy cossacks yearning to breath free."

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.