Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is England still relevant?

Other than the royal family, England has not produced anything of value (like cars, electronics, or anything in fact) for decades. To me, England is no longer relevant. It is a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 11307/12/2014

by Anonymousreply 108/16/2013

[quote]It is a thing of the past.

1707, to be exact.

by Anonymousreply 208/16/2013

What an odd post, OP.

by Anonymousreply 308/16/2013

In energy, the UK is home to multinational conglomerates like BP, BG, and Royal Dutch Shell (incorporated in England).

In academia, they got Oxford, Cambridge, and LSE.

In entertainment, they got West End Theatre. Many Hollywood movies are in fact partially or wholly funded by British sources. Additionally, London is a fashion capital in its own right.

But England's (rather, UK's) relevance is mostly manifest in something not as obvious. The British Empire may be no longer, but London still exercises an incredible amount of influence over world commerce and politics via powerful money networks and liaisons formed in its colonial era.

by Anonymousreply 408/16/2013

It is over. I'm out

by Anonymousreply 508/16/2013

Also, the Beckhams live there

by Anonymousreply 608/16/2013

London is one of the world's money capitals. Lots of banking there.

by Anonymousreply 708/16/2013

*sigh* Adding to R4's list, below just one more example (of many) of why the OP's premise is complete and utter bullshit.

Eight of the eleven Formula 1 teams are based in England. "Almost 3,500 companies associated with motorsport are based in Motorsport Valley, employing around 40,000 people. That represents around 80% of the world's high-performance engineers."

OP, it really helps when starting a thread if you make at least some tiny effort not to sound like a complete and utter moron. You're American, right?

by Anonymousreply 808/16/2013

If you're going to look at entertainment, I think it's more relevant than it has been for a long while.

For music, it's the biggest since the second British invasion of the 80s. Adele, One Direction etc.. this wouldn't have been possible in the barren 90s/early-mid 00s where there was almost NO visible British acts making the charts.

I put it down to the internet finally crossing boundaries with visible music sites, youtube etc. It really is odd that something like One Direction would make it.. there was the Spice Girls but that was dufferent and a one off.

More and more Brit actors are a presence in movies and television. Also not the case before.. more so than music but it's a lot more prevalent now. Good dialogue coaches?

British films often are for their own market - like Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge movie which is heavily hyped so it gets the domestic box office as it doesn't translate overseas. Nevertheless a lot of Oscar type films were produced by Film Four, now a lovely free film channel.

by Anonymousreply 908/16/2013

"it's the biggest since the second British invasion of the 80s. Adele, One Direction etc.."

take back America

by Anonymousreply 1008/16/2013

Also - ARM own the IP to the chips used in 95% of the worlds smartphones

by Anonymousreply 1108/16/2013

True that those are a bit faceless, r10. I think the last English world class superstar was George Michael.. the Americans ate him up.

by Anonymousreply 1208/16/2013

That must suck when a nation that was a world power centuries ago is just.....not one anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1408/16/2013

What a moron. London vies with New York as the financial capital of the world.

by Anonymousreply 1508/16/2013

Oh, and London comes in first or second on most measures of the greatest city on earth.

by Anonymousreply 1608/16/2013

[quote]Other than the royal family, England has not produced anything of value

How on earth are the royals considered "something of value"?

by Anonymousreply 1708/16/2013

London is a fine city, but the thread it's about how England is relevant, not the city of London. The whole of England.

by Anonymousreply 1908/16/2013

England provides us with some excellent music and tv program(me)s, not to mention Tom Hardy's magnificent DSL. England's alright with me.

by Anonymousreply 2108/16/2013

[quote]London is a fine city, but the thread it's about how England is relevant, not the city of London. The whole of England.

What bullshit. London is the center of England.

by Anonymousreply 2208/16/2013

R23 has it. The cynical, dead-eyed embalmed and corporatized dancing and cooing British slime that has soiled American media is this criminal junta's cultural provision. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 2408/16/2013

[quote]How on earth are the royals considered "something of value"?

Ask that to the NYC company that made the bunting worn by Prince George when he was carried from the hospital. Their website crashed almost hourly as the orders came flying in. Their business increased by more than 1,000 percent. If a 3-day old royal baby can cause that value increase, consider the rest of the family.

by Anonymousreply 2508/16/2013

R22, it's all that is relevant about England. You make my point.

by Anonymousreply 2608/16/2013

London is very different to the rest of England. The outlying home counties and Southern coasts are very nice.

I love London but it's a much different place to what it was 15 years ago. Even just from a landscape point of view, there are these new huge skyscrapers.

by Anonymousreply 2708/16/2013

Again--bullshit. Why evaluate the significance of a country without its center? It's like asking what is the cultural significance of the United States excluding New York and Los Angeles. It's simply not an interesting question.

by Anonymousreply 2808/16/2013

One Direction.

Not a fan, just sayin'. The world loves them.

by Anonymousreply 2908/16/2013

Do you know what a book is, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3008/16/2013

Have you missed the 23423424 Tom Hiddleston threads flooding the threadlist OP?

by Anonymousreply 3108/16/2013

Harry Potter, Tolkien, Narnia, James Bond

by Anonymousreply 3208/16/2013

Henry Cavill may not be English entirely, but he's from the United Kingdom. Also, the Olympics were held in London last year. I'd say England is pretty relevant. I also think the OP is irrelevant, and stupid for asking such a question. Some things should just be kept in your head.

by Anonymousreply 3308/16/2013

[quote]In energy, the UK is home to multinational conglomerates like BP...

Yeah, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3408/16/2013

I say again, OP, what an odd post. So, you have an opinion on the relative value of a particular nation, wonderful. However, what purpose do you serve by expressing it?

by Anonymousreply 3508/16/2013

[quote]Henry Cavill may not be English entirely

Well observed. I would've thought he was (like someone from Shetland is Scottish) but they're arguing about it on his Wiki page. It says Jersey isn't quite part of the UK either.

by Anonymousreply 3608/16/2013

City on fire! City on fire!

by Anonymousreply 3708/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 3808/16/2013

Just to take one example - last year's Olympics were a stunning success, the best in ages, and the feel-good ripple effect is still there. Of course most Americans probably ignored all that as it was not happening on their doorstep or time zone.

by Anonymousreply 3908/16/2013

The Olympics were a special time, it felt so inclusive and everyone took an interest.

by Anonymousreply 4008/16/2013

The chavs and the third world immigrants are outbreeding the rest of Britain, so the downfall of that once-great country is going to happen in our lifetimes.

Not much you can do about chavs, but why did they let so many third worlders in, just to suck up the dole?

by Anonymousreply 4108/16/2013

R28, no one said without London you imbecile! The thread says England. That means ALL of it. Good God, you cannot be this dense.

by Anonymousreply 4308/16/2013

I suspect that OP is off on a hating trip, and even if you told him that England had developed technologies permitting human flight and eternal life, along with boundless wealthy and infinite clean energy, he'd dismiss it. But if you want British achievements in recent decades, how about: Space science: 40% of all small space satellites come from just 1 small British town, Guildford. Agricultural science: the chicken you eat. 80% of the world's breeding chickens come from stock developed in the UK. Aerospace: Rolls Royce is one of the world's leading, biggest, most innovative engine makers for planes; BAe one of the leading plane technology/defence contractors. Life sciences: DNA unravelled in England by British scientists. 2 of the 5 biggest, most advanced pharma companies in the world are British: Glaxo and AstraZeneca. Advanced materials technology: a source of constant British innovation, a £170 billion a year business. Universities: academic and scientific research - hone to several of the most high-achieving universities in the world: Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, LSE, Kings, UCL etc.

Let's not mention British inventions such as the jet engine, or graphene, or mobile phone chips, or crystallography, or the CT scanner, or the Hubble space telescope, or radar, or thw WWW. Fact is, Britain is a relatively small country, not even in the top 20 by population, something like 80th by area. If anything, it punches above its weight.

by Anonymousreply 4408/16/2013

Ahh! OP clutches the worn-out clichéd term "relevant" because she can't actually form a question.

P.S. Any country which owns nuclear bombs is relevant, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4508/16/2013

[quote][R28], no one said without London you imbecile! The thread says England. That means ALL of it. Good God, you cannot be this dense.

You're the one who dismisses cultural significance of London as irrelevant to the consideration of the cultural significance of England . So is your point that the darkness of the rest of England extinguishes the light of London? I'm beginning to wonder if you had a point at all.

by Anonymousreply 4608/16/2013

I'm sure we can all agree, though, that NYC is moribund.

by Anonymousreply 4708/16/2013

Every board I go to the US and UK posters are always bashing the other country. It comes from both sides.

The usual stuff like bad teeth etc. Sometimes that's general teasing but the stereotypes get thrown around.

Since this is primarily a US board I guess the UK posters are Yankophiles. Luckily it's a minority of xenophobes but it gets tiresome.

This topic could have been done any time in the last 25 years so I don't see how "Is England still relevant" it's relevant.

by Anonymousreply 4808/16/2013

Oh, honey--You can call me stupid until you're blue in the face. Your posts still won't make any sense.

Why don't you explain what this means:

[quote]London is a fine city, but the thread it's about how England is relevant, not the city of London. The whole of England.

If it doesn't mean "that the darkness of the rest of England extinguishes the light of London? "

by Anonymousreply 5108/16/2013

You're both quite irrelevant to the future of the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 5308/16/2013

England produces some of the most messed up, kinkiest guys on the planet. We need them for sex slaves.

by Anonymousreply 5408/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 5508/16/2013

England has great soccer teams! Season starts tomorrow!!!

by Anonymousreply 5608/16/2013

What is a chav?

by Anonymousreply 5708/16/2013

Chav = White Trash

by Anonymousreply 5808/16/2013

[quote]What bullshit. London is the center of England.

London is the center of London!

by Anonymousreply 6008/16/2013

I love St. Martin's Lane...the rest meh.

by Anonymousreply 6108/16/2013

Great Britain is an oxymoron

by Anonymousreply 6308/16/2013

England will be a Muslim majority Islamic state in the future so not only is it not's dead.

by Anonymousreply 6408/16/2013

I'm a yank, but I will die knowing I should have spent more time in England. I love all of the UK but England is where my heart always yearns to return.

Everything that made Britain the greatest nation on earth will keep her relevant as long as there are people on tis earth.

by Anonymousreply 6508/16/2013

R62 seems to be unaware that Archie Bunker was based on a British TV creation... Oh the irony!

As for OP, there's just no hope for some people. OP is just too stupid to live outside the care home. OP is the reason the rest of the world sees the US as being people by Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel and his family.

by Anonymousreply 6608/16/2013

R63 Great Britain is a geographical location not a description. There's a moron involved in your comment somewhere...

by Anonymousreply 6708/16/2013

It's interesting the OP's post equates being relevant with physical production.

Maybe that's why you're stuck on their alleged irrelevance.

by Anonymousreply 6808/17/2013

I love the literature that comes from England.

I am grateful to Sir Alec Jeffreys, for genetic fingerprinting. At the University of Leicester, he developed the technique for DNA testing. Law enforcement agencies throughout the world use this method to capture the most clever, diabolic murderers.

I'm sorry England is having so much trouble with illegal immigrants; but that problem is common to many other countries.

Anyway, the way the world's climate is changing, England, or any other country may not even acknowledge whether anyone considers it "irrevelant", or not.

by Anonymousreply 6908/17/2013

The USA is not always going to be No. 1 in the world. We will need Great Britain's, and other countries' help in the future, as our population continues to explode. Wars are very expensive, as well. And we have many, many war-addicts in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 7108/17/2013

A fair number of the posters to this thread don't appear to know that there is a difference between "England" and "Britain" (wherever that may be).

by Anonymousreply 7208/17/2013

[quote]The USA is not always going to be No. 1 in the world

Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 7408/17/2013

[quote]Harry Potter, Tolkien, Narnia, James Bond

Only one if them is still in production, nitwit. This proves their irrelevance.

by Anonymousreply 7508/17/2013

[quote][R62] seems to be unaware that Archie Bunker was based on a British TV creation... Oh the irony!

I knew it, and it was a shit, irrelevant show. America produced a classic. The same can't be said for Britain. They watch more American television than their own shit now. "Friends" rules everything. They'd make Jennifer Anniston their Queen if they could.

by Anonymousreply 7608/17/2013

London is def over, so is Brooklyn. London is like a parody version of the hideous insufferable fake indie hipster wigger Brooklyn. YUK!

by Anonymousreply 7708/17/2013

Only a Mahattanite would dare compare London to Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 7808/17/2013

[quote]Only one if them is still in production, nitwit. This proves their irrelevance.

Good grief. The stupidity: it burns!

Shakespeare, Austen, Dickens, Wodehouse... I could go on (and on). None of these writers are still "in production," but they are still influential on readers and writers today, and thus relevant.

The level of 'argument' on this thread is really fucking depressing.

by Anonymousreply 7908/17/2013

R76 The American version of the show had to be watered down to suit the vanilla tastes of the flyover states, so your preference in comedy is that of the flyover frau?

Interesting that you think you have any knowledge whatsoever if you can say ridiculous things like "a shit, irrelevant show. America produced a classic. The same can't be said for Britain. They watch more American television than their own shit now. "Friends" rules everything. They'd make Jennifer Anniston their Queen if they could."

The British show was the most innovative thing around at the time, using a bigot as the brunt of the jokes and being completely up front about it. Jennifer Aniston? Is it still 1996? Are you really that fucking dim?

There's another thread here about people like you.

by Anonymousreply 8008/17/2013

The amount of hate and anti English sentiment in this thread is appalling.

If your grandparent's or parents had the good sense to convert your trusts to Pounds Sterling and/or your yourselves put your savings in Barclays You'd see the first example of why Britannia is great. While the Dollar has dwindled away the British pound has held up extremely well. Ask the Irish how they feel about joining the Euro about now.

England is simply head of the British Empire, this includes, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada to name a very few.

English history dwarfs ours, and while fashion and decor may stay 20 years behind the US. They are indeed relevant. Were I to have to leave this country tomorrow I'd make straight for England without thinking twice.

by Anonymousreply 8108/17/2013

[quote]The only think original Britain houses are Chavs.

Thanks for your articulate insight. Food for thought indeed. R44 though helpfully anticipated your shrewd point.

by Anonymousreply 8208/17/2013

My great-grandmother immigrated to the USA from England around the time of WWI after marrying a French-Canadian from the State of Maine. She was a tiny lady with a lovely accent. I would like to visit England/Britain someday for her.

by Anonymousreply 8308/17/2013

Nobody uses the term "third world" any more, and how old are the people making "teeth" jokes?

by Anonymousreply 8408/17/2013

I was in London a few months ago and I found it completely underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 8508/17/2013

[quote]Only one if them is still in production, nitwit. This proves their irrelevance.

They are ALL still in "production." We don't know how long Potter's popularity will endure, but the others have already proven themselves timeless.

In any case, the idea that something ceases to be relevant the moment it ceases to be produced is nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 8608/17/2013

The only thing all these anti-British threads achieve is confirming that an American education is a thing to be ashamed of. The level of ignorance, stupidity and outright bigotry is astounding. I'm so glad I'm out of it and haven't lived there for a long time. I may never go back to be honest, the ignorance is just too embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 8708/17/2013

The OP smells like the one who posted the thread about Warren Buffet. Like someone trying to drum up site activity or just trying to make it look - alive.

by Anonymousreply 8808/17/2013

I love the UK in general and London in particular but I still think their Olympics' opening and closing ceremonies last year sucked big-time.

by Anonymousreply 8908/17/2013

This thread just shows once again how fucking ignorant Americans really are. Deal with your own country 's fuck ups before u start pissing on England.

by Anonymousreply 9008/17/2013

Considering England gave us Hiddleston and Cumberbatch (DL favorites) I would say it's still pretty relevant.

by Anonymousreply 9108/18/2013

The Anglosphere rules the world and England (by controlling the UK) as the representative in Europe makes it very relevant. Its influence on the Commonwealth also make it a key part of the Anglosphere.

by Anonymousreply 9208/18/2013

What r92 said is true. Britain and the Anglophone countries that were its' former colonies are the most powerful in the world and basically control everything. Spain, which was once the most powerful country in the world and got a 100-year head start on colonizing the New World, is not at all a player on the world stage today. Its former colonies are mostly third-world countries.

by Anonymousreply 9308/18/2013

[quote]Other than the royal family, England has not produced anything of value

Yes, very odd, OP, but then it's only (my fellow) Americans who give a rat's ass about the royal family. On the list of conversation topics in the U.K., they fall behind a good thousand or so more popular subjects.

by Anonymousreply 9408/18/2013

Not according to the Russians.

Then, can some Russian fucker tell me why there are so fucking many Russians and eastern Europeans over here in England?

by Anonymousreply 9509/07/2013

R85 - then spread the word amongst your countrypeople. We Londoners'd prefer you fat-arsed, ignorant Americans to fuck off, along with the coachloads of sweaty European students.

Leave us to appreciate our culture in peace. Go stuff a hamburger up yo' ass?

by Anonymousreply 9609/07/2013

Spain was never really a world power. England pretended it was, for motivational purposes, but South America wasn't even explored, much less conquered, when all those countries won independence in the early 1800s.

by Anonymousreply 9709/07/2013

As our dear prime minister put it,

"Let me be clear - Britain may be a small island but I would challenge anyone to find a country with a prouder history, a bigger heart or greater resilience."

"Yes, we are a small island, in fact a small group of islands. But I would challenge anyone to come up with a country with a prouder history, with a bigger heart, a greater resilience.

“This is a country that cleared the European continent of fascism, that took slavery off the high seas. We’re a country that's invented many of the things that are most worthwhile, everything from the industrial revolution to the television, to the world wide web.

“Our music delights and amuses millions, The Beatles, Elgar and slightly less... slightly less, er . . . congruously, One Direction has conquered the world. We’ve invented most of the sports that the world most likes playing.”

"If I go on too long about our literature, our art, our philosophy, our contribution, including of course the world's language... if I start talking about this 'blessed plot, this sceptred isle, this England' I might have to put it to music, so I think I'll leave it there."

by Anonymousreply 9809/07/2013

Love London love England. It's not so much that its no longer relevant. It's just settling into a position that befits its size. Like Japan, say. If losing its relevance means a fall from its global dominance and reign, it's about time. And a good thing too.

by Anonymousreply 9909/07/2013

[post redacted because thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 10009/07/2013

Oh, I like this game!

My turn!

Other than The Backstreet Boys, America hasn't produced anything of note for nearly two decades

by Anonymousreply 10109/07/2013

[quote] I love the UK in general and London in particular but I still think their Olympics' opening and closing ceremonies last year sucked big-time.

they were wonderful. Wonderfully cheesy

by Anonymousreply 10209/07/2013

"Oh, another modern brainwave? "

by Anonymousreply 10309/07/2013

Watched the Last Night of the Proms yesterday. The first ever female conductor (for shame) was Marin Alsop, whose charm matched her talent: she gave a great and graceful speech.

Mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato was sensational. These two great Americans thought it worth their while to grace the most famous music festival in the world. Pomp and circumstance to one side, England looked 'relevant.' Can we all get along? Sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 10409/08/2013

I suppose we'll have to

by Anonymousreply 10509/08/2013

Hey R100, you copied our language!

by Anonymousreply 10609/08/2013

Only if they have a big uncut cock.

by Anonymousreply 10709/08/2013

I wish I could move there legally.

by Anonymousreply 10809/08/2013

I watched England deteriorate over several decades. It used to be a great country. Now it is a sewer of uncontrolled immigration from all the wrong places, gutted educational system, brain drain to Australia and Canada, and an economy devastated by the depredations of Tory policies and Labor corruption.

The US is going in the same direction.

by Anonymousreply 10909/08/2013

The U.S. is already there.

Australia is going in the same direction, based on their recent election.

Why does Canada have to be so damn cold? What about New Zealand?

I'm making an escape plan.

by Anonymousreply 11009/08/2013

The uncontrolled third world immigration is the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about for fear of being called "racist." It's a major quality-of-life issue that needs to be dealt with but they're all to chickenshit to do anything.

by Anonymousreply 11109/08/2013

Who are these morons banging on about immigration? Pathetic!

by Anonymousreply 11209/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 11307/12/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!