Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

QB Steve Young, wife come out strong on gay rights

QB Steve Young, wife come out strong on gay rights: Column

by Hank Plante, USATODAY

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Steve Young made news in 2008 when he and his wife Barbara placed "No on Prop. 8" yard signs in front of their Palo Alto, California home.

The move was significant because Young is one of the most prominent Mormons in America. He is a direct descendant of Brigham Young. But other Mormons had poured $20 million into passing Prop. 8, which banned gay marriage in California, and which was overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court this past June.

Barbara Young said at the time that she has a gay brother, which influenced her decision to contribute to the "No on 8" campaign, but Steve Young remained relatively silent at the time.

Now, both Youngs are being more vocal on gay rights, and have agreed to be the keynote speakers in Salt Lake City at next month's convention of gay Mormons. The group, called "Affirmation," first reported the news on its website.

Steve and Barbara Young released a statement to the Salt Lake City Tribune confirming they'll be keynoters at the conference, saying it is "where they hope to lend their voices to the healing work of making our families, our society and our church more welcoming places for our LGBT brothers and sisters."

And, indeed, there are signs that the church is softening its political opposition to gay rights, with church members no longer taking the lead in opposing gay marriage cases.

Still, having Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young take such a prominent role in welcoming lesbian and gay church members is bound to push the issue even farther down the field.

by Anonymousreply 3909/13/2013

Too bad he undoubtedly tithed a big chunk of his millions to the cult, which funded the ridiculous Prop 8 hell we had to endure.

Thanks for the empty words, Steve. Nice ass.

by Anonymousreply 108/16/2013

Haven't there been loads of rumors about him?

by Anonymousreply 208/16/2013

For many years, there were plenty of gay rumors whirling around Steve Young.

by Anonymousreply 308/16/2013

Is he still hot?

by Anonymousreply 408/16/2013

He looks okay for a guy in his 50s. He didn't marry a beard until he was 39.

After football, he tried acting -- appeared in one episode of Frasier, one episode of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (cast as Lois' former high school football quarterback boyfriend), and in The Singles Ward.

He also made a guest appearance as himself in the Dharma_&_Greg episode "Are you ready for some football?" encouraging Dharma, the team's Number One Fan.

by Anonymousreply 508/16/2013

He is straight.

by Anonymousreply 608/16/2013

Not bad looking for his age

by Anonymousreply 708/16/2013

I still don't trust the Mormons.

by Anonymousreply 808/16/2013

I fucking hate assholes like r1.

Steve Young is speaking out publicly in favor of gay marriage and thousands of people are listening to him. Many people will change their minds on this matter because of him.

What have you done for gay rights? What even justifies your existence?

by Anonymousreply 908/16/2013

"After football, he tried acting -- appeared in one episode of Frasier, one episode of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (cast as Lois' former high school football quarterback boyfriend), and in The Singles Ward."

He was on Lois and Clark?! Hmmm...did Dean Cain tap that?

by Anonymousreply 1108/16/2013

Oh no: don't call me a frauphag! Anything but that!

by Anonymousreply 1208/16/2013

You called me WHAT? A FRAUPHAG?

by Anonymousreply 1308/16/2013

[quote] A FRAUPHAG?

That will be $5.

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2013

That cult is an investment paradigm he was born into. Glad to see him finally moving away from the family business.

It only took him until age 50 to do so, but at least he is giving it a shot.

by Anonymousreply 1508/17/2013

Too little, too late.

by Anonymousreply 1608/17/2013

When your family is LDS breaking away from it is tough. Almost impossible. The church teaches that anyone who disavows it will be an apostate and condemned to outer darkness, i.e. hell. According to LDS teachings folks can get out of hell in many ways, but not if they're cast into for being an apostate. When you're taught this from the time you're a child it's hard to break that mindset. Family is a building block of the church. Most LDS families are tightly knit by design. When people spend most of their time with their devout LDS families they're less likely to question and thus break away. They use classic cult conditioning techniques. If you understood LDS doctrine and indoctrination you would understand that Steve Young speaking out like this is a very big deal.

by Anonymousreply 1708/17/2013

Do LDS use birth control?

by Anonymousreply 1808/17/2013

Too little, too late.

Too little, to latte.

by Anonymousreply 1908/17/2013

Never trust a Mormon.

by Anonymousreply 2108/17/2013

Some of you bitter queens find the negative side of everything.

Good for him. I'm glad. We need more professional athletes and more Mormons doing exactly what they're doing.

by Anonymousreply 2208/17/2013

Keep licking his butt, R22. I'm sure he likes it.

Not bitter. Just realistic. Too little, too late. It would have meant more before they became losers.

by Anonymousreply 2308/17/2013

The sourness on this thread is unbelievable. How some of you manage to get out of bed in the morning astonishes me.

by Anonymousreply 2408/17/2013

The sour people have a point this time, though. Where was he during Prop 8? The Mormons are too powerful, and must be made to pay for attacking us.

by Anonymousreply 2508/17/2013

One of the big San Fran papers was going to out Mr. Young because they allegedly received word of him being caught in flagrante with a comely young Asian-American lad in the basement restroom of an upscale SF restaurant. This was during the height of his pro ball career and IIRC, he was in between his numerous engagements. Allegedly the 49ers paid the paper takusan $$$$$$$ not to print the item...even though it was going to be a BI, it would have been too obvious.

by Anonymousreply 2608/17/2013

Jesus, it's not like he was campaigning FOR Prop 8.

Why not shit all over Obama, too, because his position "evolved" on gay rights? And Hillary, too? And anybody else who wasn't an activist for gay rights since the day they stopped sucking milk from their mother's tit?

Let go of all that anger, it's not healthy.

by Anonymousreply 2708/17/2013

You can't trust a Mormon in the first place. But when he's also a closet case with a beard, that doubles the reason to not trust him.

by Anonymousreply 2808/17/2013

My hurt feelings are more important than recognizing progress. I refuse to accept that people can be a mix of negative and positive. I shouldn't have to think about what it takes to change people's minds, so I won't.

That's what it's like to be lazy and emotionally incontinent.

by Anonymousreply 2908/17/2013

There's no anger, at least on my part. I just want to cheerfully destroy Mormons.

by Anonymousreply 3008/17/2013

"Jesus, it's not like he was campaigning FOR Prop 8"

In fact, he and his wife were campaigning against it. They had NO on Prop 8 signs in their yard (first sentence of OP's article.)

His wife's brother is a gay.

by Anonymousreply 3108/17/2013

The Mormon church is working very hard to improve their bad PR regarding Prop 8. Always a business first and foremost, the Mormon church now must rehab their attitudes towards gays if they want to attract/retain followers.

Every single Mormon family has a gay relative. I'm telling you, without exception, Mormons have a whole lotta gay goin' on.

My theory: research has found that the more sons a family has the more likelihood of gay sons being born as middle or youngest children. Mormons have huge families, so there.

Another theory I have is that many Mormons have German/English/Scandinavian ancestries and those cultures have large gay populations. A lot of gayness is genetic.

In any event, Steve Young is was rumored to be a homosexual always, has waited too long for my tastes to come out in support of gays. I'm not convinced or impressed.

by Anonymousreply 3208/17/2013

[quote]In any event, Steve Young is was rumored to be a homosexual always, has waited too long for my tastes to come out in support of gays.

He needs to do a lot more to make up for being part of a homophobic cult for so many years. It's doesn't help that he obtained a beard.

by Anonymousreply 3308/19/2013

He doesn't HAVE to do anything.

He chose to break with his church on this point. I don't know about his personal finances or whether or not he still tithes.

What is it with you people? Your demands of ideological purity reek of the Tea Party. Nothing can be more destructive to our cause.

The Catholic church also fights against marriage equality, especially in MN. Do we demand the same of Catholic celebrities who are in favor of marriage equality? And no, I'm not a Catholic-basher.

I don't like Mormons as a group/cult/religion either. However, individuals like Steve Young and Marie Osmond should be welcomed when they stand up for us.

by Anonymousreply 3408/19/2013

[quote]Ex-NFL QB to speak at Mormon conference on gays

by Anonymousreply 3509/13/2013

R25,if they are too powerful,good luck with making them pay.

by Anonymousreply 3609/13/2013

This mofo is jumping on the bandwagon! Fuck him!

by Anonymousreply 3709/13/2013

You wish...

by Anonymousreply 3809/13/2013

R23, I'll lick his ass

by Anonymousreply 3909/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!