Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Coca-cola and McDonald’s agree that Winter Olympics should not be relocated from Russia

Coca-cola and McDonald’s agree that Winter Olympics should not be relocated from Russia

by Joseph Patrick McCormick, 16 August 2013, 1:32pm

As the international outcry increases around the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics in the wake of the passage of anti-gay laws back in June, big sponsors of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) have maintained the line that they do not condone discrimination, but that they will not seek the relocation of the event.

Coca-Cola and McDonald’s both stated that they do not condone the anti-gay laws, and that they think they contradict the Olympic charter, but in a similar sentiment to the IOC last week, do not think the games should be relocated away from Sochi.

In an email sent to PinkNews a McDonald’s spokesperson said: “There’s no room for discrimination under the Golden Arches. McDonald’s welcomes 69 million customers around the world every day representing different races, nationalities, religions, genders, ages and sexual orientations.

“McDonald’s supports the spirit of the Olympic Games and its ability to unite the world in a positive and inspirational way. We’ve been a proud sponsor of the Games for 37 years.

“Regarding the recent Russian legislation, we support the International Olympic Committee’s belief that sport is a human right and the Olympic Games should be open to all, free of discrimination, and that applies to spectators, officials, media and athletes.”

Speaking to BuzzFeed, Coca-Cola spokesperson Kate Harman said: “We have long been a strong supporter of the LGBT community and have advocated for inclusion and diversity through both our policies and practices… We do not condone human rights abuses, intolerance, or discrimination of any kind anywhere in the world.

“As a sponsor since 1928, we believe the Olympic Games are a force for good that unite people through a common interest in sports, and we have seen firsthand the positive impact and long-lasting legacy they leave on every community that has been a host,” she continued.

Hartman also said , when asked about the risks posed to Coca-Cola employees travelling to Russia for the Winter games, she said that “the IOC has received assurances from the highest level of government in Russia that the legislation will not affect those attending or taking part in the games.”

Both Coca-Cola and McDonald’s have made bets on Russia’s expanding consumer market, with Coca-Cola two years into a scheme to double its investment into the country though a five-year plan worth $3 billion (£1.93 billion).

McDonald’s has announced plans to add 150 restaurants across Russia over three years, doubling the number of sites. Human Rights Watch president Kenneth Roth, called on companies sponsoring the Olympics to put pressure on Russia to repeal the discriminatory laws.

“Companies that are concerned about their image with consumers are not going to want to be associated with a gay-bashing exercise — the commercial advantages are going to be completely undone,” Roth said.

“Olympic sponsors make enormous investments by being associated with the Sochi Olympics. They don’t want to be part of a debacle.”

“It’s easy to imagine a confrontation taking place on global television. It’s almost certain that athletes will flaunt their homosexuality or support for gay rights,” he said.

“That’ll create a potential conflict with Russian authorities. There’s the fear of this all going horribly wrong. The Kremlin cares about its reputation and the Olympics going off smoothly — they don’t want this to be a new embarrassment,” he continued.

President Vladimir Putin signed the law in June banning the promotion of “non-traditional relationships” toward minors, a move that has been criticised as part of a broader crackdown on Russia’s gay community.

Other laws banning the adoption of Russian children by foreign same-sex couples, and one which enables organisations receiving funding from abroad to be fined as “foreign agents”, were also passed.

The laws have so far sparked controversy among LGBT activists, with some calling for a boycott of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics. Others have also called to boycott Russian vodka as a form of protest.

On Monday, the Russian Interior Ministry confirmed that recently introduced anti-gay legislation will remain in force during the Sochi games.

A petition which has gathered over 150,000 signatures, calls for the 2014 games to be relocated to Vancouver, following the passage of anti-gay laws in Russia.

In an interview last week, a senior International Olympics Committee member said: “Russia must respect the Olympic Charter, or we will say goodbye to them”, broaching the question of relocating the games with the IOC for the first time.

The international football governing body FIFA yesterday called on Russia to give “clarification and more details” about the laws ahead of the 2018 World Cup due to take place in the country.

by Anonymousreply 3608/20/2013

We do not accept this statement. You must make very public contributions to gay causes to demonstrate your support for gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 108/16/2013

Winter of Hate

by Anonymousreply 208/16/2013

"Coca-cola and McDonald’s agree that Winter Olympics should not be relocated from Russia"

Ah, those two wonderful fonts of morality and compassion...

by Anonymousreply 308/16/2013

Coca-Cola and McDonald's need to donate at least 10% of all Sochi earnings to gay rights organizations around the world.

Make it go viral, people.

by Anonymousreply 408/16/2013

Hilarious. Two big corporate fatasses cannot shift their butts out of Hatesville. Typical. I wonder how many Russian shareholders they have.

Oh, and I watched a documentary last week about how chains like McDonald's shove even more cheap fat into their products for the Indian subcontinent, with an explosion of morbid obesity and diabetes arising from food that is 10 times more cheap and horrible than the version the West gets.

by Anonymousreply 508/16/2013

The utter hypocrisy of these conglomorates is on a par with Dataloungers who sniff their noses at these statements while gleefully engaging in ridiculous reviews and comparisons of this and other shitty, toxic junk food chains.

Only NOW do you realize that these conglomos are GMO toxic shit factories and malevolent empires?

Idiots. Instead of infighting about fuckin' vodka, you should be protesting at McDonald's, blocking the drive-thru.

Of course, their regular patrons' trashy hunger cravings might result in your being attacked, so it would be risky.

by Anonymousreply 608/16/2013

Just like the Olympic commitee they want it both ways. At the end of the day all they want to do is make money and placate whoever will make that happen. If Russia had outlawed judaism would they still have the same stance?

by Anonymousreply 708/16/2013

Anybody remember major corporations rationalizing their continued presence in South African during Apartheid?

Do you think they just re-worked those press releases and letters?

by Anonymousreply 808/16/2013

~

by Anonymousreply 908/16/2013

[R8] Gets it.

by Anonymousreply 1008/16/2013

I wonder what the reaction would be if it were Jews being persecuted instead of gays.

Or blacks.

by Anonymousreply 1108/16/2013

The new logo:

by Anonymousreply 1208/16/2013

Boycott McDonals's and Coca-cola!

by Anonymousreply 1308/16/2013

Wow R14, that's something, brilliant

by Anonymousreply 1408/16/2013

[quote]Idiots. Instead of infighting about fuckin' vodka, you should be protesting at McDonald's, blocking the drive-thru.

Hilarious that you see that as a better use of time.

by Anonymousreply 1608/16/2013

[quote]McDonald’s welcomes 69 million customers around the world every day representing different races, nationalities, religions, genders, ages and sexual orientations.

Copied directly from the press release/damage control Chick Fellatio did after it became public knowledge that they, too, actively support organizations that bash gays. Well done Mickey D!

Translation:

[quote]But we let you fags in our stores so we can't be homophobic!

by Anonymousreply 1708/16/2013

"obesogenic"

Good one!

Luv ya, r1

by Anonymousreply 1808/16/2013

[quote]Coca-Cola spokesperson Kate Harman said: “We have long been a strong supporter of the LGBT community

How so exactly? Did they give away tickets to a Liza Minnelli concert with every 10 tokens collected?

by Anonymousreply 1908/16/2013

[quote]Jews are very organized in their protests.

They're also in charge of most major media outlets and AIPAC is a force to be reckoned with. Gays aren't quite there yet in terms of being able to really force an agenda.

by Anonymousreply 2008/16/2013

Great logo R14. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 2108/16/2013

Coca is evil, evil I tell you!!

by Anonymousreply 2208/16/2013

They are assholes. Of course the Olympics should be moved and The Prez needs to rethink his opinion on not boycotting the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 2308/16/2013

We'll sponsor it if they won't!

by Anonymousreply 2408/16/2013

From what I hear, Coca Cola and McDonalds want to make a big push in Russia with rapid expansion. So yeah. This is about $$$$.

I agree with whoever said that it's a joke that they sponsor sport with their nutritionally disgusting products but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 2508/16/2013

R22, I realize that gays aren't yet as organized but if they can corral the arts and entertainment industries, they'll become a positive force. Don't forget there is still anti-Russian sentiment in the US, so there won't be much strong opposition, as there still is to Marriage Equality.

By the way, who is going to be arranging the Opening and Closing ceremonies of the Sochi Games? Don't tell me that all of the choreographers, dancers, musicians, costumers, etc are going to be 100% straight.

by Anonymousreply 2608/16/2013

Okay, so I'm now officially boycotting Coca-Cola and McDonald's.

Probably better for my health anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2708/16/2013

(NaturalNews) Today we announce the first investigation conducted at the Natural News Forensic Food Laboratory, the new science-based research branch of Natural News where we put foods under the microscope and find out what's really there.

Earlier today I purchased a 10-piece Chicken McNuggets from a McDonald's restaurant in Austin, Texas. Under carefully controlled conditions, I then examined the Chicken McNuggets under a high-powered digital microscope, expecting to see only processed chicken bits and a fried outer coating.

But what I found instead shocked even me. I've seen a lot of weird stuff in my decade of investigating foods and nutrition, but I never expected to find this...

Strange fibers found embedded inside Chicken McNuggets As the following photos show, the Chicken McNuggets were found to contain strange fibers that some people might say even resemble so-called "Morgellon's."

We found dark black hair-like structures sticking out of the nugget mass, as well as light blue egg-shaped structures with attached tail-like hairs or fibers.

These are shown in extreme detail in the photos below, taken on August 15, 2013 at the Natural News Forensic Food Lab. The actual Chicken McNugget samples used in these photos have been frozen for storage of forensic evidence.

We also found odd red coloring splotches in several locations, as well as a spherical green object that resembles algae.

We are not claiming or implying that these objects in any way make McDonald's Chicken McNuggets unsafe to consume. We do, however, believe that this visual evidence may warrant an FDA investigation into the ingredient composition of Chicken McNuggets.

In particular, where are the hair-like structures coming from? This is especially important to answer, given that chickens do not have hair. Is there cross-species contamination in the processing of Chicken McNuggets? This question needs to be answered.

by Anonymousreply 2808/16/2013

Oh, well if the corporations don't think we should move the Olympics, then of course we won't do it.

by Anonymousreply 2908/16/2013

Share this graphic with your friends. Send it to your local newspaper and TV stations.

by Anonymousreply 3008/17/2013

Though I haven't bought any food at McDonald's for years, I sometimes park in their parking lot to use their WiFi signal. They don't get any money from me.

by Anonymousreply 3108/19/2013

I eat at McDonald's regularly (once a week or so). I'll be stopping that. Due to the Olympics, not due to R30.

by Anonymousreply 3208/19/2013

Coca-Cola products are pretty easy to boycott. There's no excuse not to, really.

by Anonymousreply 3308/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!