Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Evangelical pastor to stand trial in Massachusetts for alleged crimes against humanity

Pastor Scott Lively is accused of violating international law by inciting the persecution of LGBT individuals in Uganda.

A federal judge on Wednesday denied a motion to dismiss a crimes against humanity case brought against evangelical pastor Scott Lively of Massachusetts.

Lively is accused of violating international law by inciting the persecution of LGBT individuals in Uganda. The lawsuit was filed by the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) on behalf of Sexual Minorities of Uganda (SMUG) in 2012.

“We are gratified that the court recognized the persecution and the gravity of the danger faced by our clients as a result of Scott Lively’s actions,” CCR Attorney Pam Spees said. “Lively’s single-minded campaign has worked to criminalize their very existence, strip away their fundamental rights and threaten their physical safety.”

The lawsuit alleged that Lively aided the persecution of LGBT people in Uganda over the past decade and inspired notorious anti-LGBT legislation known as the “Kill the Gays” bill.

Lively attended an anti-gay conference entitled “Seminar on Exposing the Homosexual Agenda” in 2009 in which he accused gays and lesbians of having genocidal tendencies. His lecture lead to the introduction of the bill, the lawsuit claimed.

Ugandan organizers of the 2009 conference admitted they helped draft the bill and Lively himself admitted to meeting with lawmakers to discuss it.

Lively has denied that he conspired with government officials or religious leaders in Uganda to craft specifics of the legislation. He has said the lawsuit against him “boils down to nothing more than an attempt to define my Biblical views against homosexuality as a crime.”

“Clearly, this lawsuit is intended not only to silence me as an effective voice of opposition to the ‘gay’ agenda, it is also to intimidate everyone else who would dare to follow my example,” he wrote on his blog last year.

by Anonymousreply 3108/19/2013

Leave him alone, he was only doing what the Bible commands. There's nothing quite like perverting Jesus's teachings, is there? That sunnavabitch, I hope he gets 20yrs!

by Anonymousreply 108/16/2013

The bible demands that he be put to death. Kill the motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 208/16/2013

Hopefully he's the first of many. Evangelicals stirring up antigay violence in Africa are no better than wannabe terrorists leaving the US to be radicalised. They should be treated the same way.

by Anonymousreply 308/16/2013

The Bible is not antigay and no feasible interpretation can make it so.

by Anonymousreply 408/17/2013

That is absolutely the right thing to charge him with, him and all his minions. I hope they all get life in prison!

This is why international law needs to exist.

by Anonymousreply 508/17/2013

This is great news. It's about time that these KKKristians get taken to court.

by Anonymousreply 608/17/2013

Great youtube bit on the Ugandan anti gay initiative is Missionaries of Hate - Vanguard. You'll see this wanker in the piece.

by Anonymousreply 708/17/2013

Nothing can substitute the love religion offers to humanity.

by Anonymousreply 908/17/2013

Right.. Thank you! It's about time someone holds these spiritual terrorists' feet to the fire for their ignorant vitriol.

by Anonymousreply 1008/17/2013

Love it. He deserves all the bad shit coming to him.

by Anonymousreply 1108/17/2013

Good. Fry him

by Anonymousreply 1208/17/2013

He's a terrorist and deserves life in prison.

by Anonymousreply 1308/17/2013

R4 clearly hasn't read the bible.

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2013

[quote] Hopefully this lawsuit well be thrown out. This is bullshit.

WELL?

Eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 1508/17/2013

Let's hope he escapes the U.S. to avoid trial and goes to Uganda. Then we can get the word to everyone in Uganda that Pastor Scott Lively is gay.

by Anonymousreply 1608/17/2013

His "Abiding Truth Ministries" is listed by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a bona fide hate group. If justice is served, he will rot in prison for inciting violence against LGBT Ugandans. Be nice if the IRS looked into his business affairs too. These creeps are usually financial crooks as well.

by Anonymousreply 1708/17/2013

He needs to get life in prison!

Is he the only one going to trial for this? Surely there were more.

Round them up and toss the key!

by Anonymousreply 1808/17/2013

quite a few republican congressman should be on trial too.

by Anonymousreply 1908/17/2013

Gee and now he's acting like a martyr! What a surprise!

Just remind him that the most virulent homophobes are very often closeted fageles.

by Anonymousreply 2008/17/2013

I agree, with you R13. It's good to see he will be standing trial.

by Anonymousreply 2108/17/2013

I hope he goes broke paying settlement to the ugandan lgbt organization. Gays should be at the courthouse in thousands!!

by Anonymousreply 2208/17/2013

Please understand that this is [bold]NOT[/bold] a criminal case brought by the federal government (or the state government) against Lively. It is a civil tort action seeking monetary damages and an injunction against him from engaging in this behavior in the future.

So, while he may belong in prison, this lawsuit is not going to be the way to get him there.

by Anonymousreply 2308/17/2013

I've been trying to explain to people about the evangelicals foothold in Uganda for years. Their ministry's there, their exportation and propping up of the homophobia there, their support and encouragement of the anti-gay laws.

I get a lot of disbelief or disinterest as a result. Multiple times threads on the subject have been posted to DL with little or no responses.

Rick Warren not only supports the church's there, he has actually made multiple trips there along with other Evangelicals have made trips there, because they support the idea of an Evangelical state. They have funded those church's with money from their own pockets at times.

The level of fucked up this is, has not even begin to come to light.

by Anonymousreply 2408/17/2013

I just wanted to add that you may see Rick Warren speaking out against Uganda's bills now, but that's not the tune he was singing only a few years ago. And him supporting our not being murdered, is not being against Uganda's Evangelicalism or against our rights.

by Anonymousreply 2508/17/2013

*or for our rights.

What I meant to say.

And the poster above was me, I meant to post the author as R24.

by Anonymousreply 2608/17/2013

Thank you R23. Christ the article was so poorly written that initially I thought the guy was headed to the International Criminal Court Don't get me started on US relations with the Hague and the ICC.

by Anonymousreply 2708/17/2013

Rachel Maddow covered the law and the interference of Lively and his ilk quite a bit in 2011 - Google "Scott Lively Rachel Maddow" and you'll get tons of background on this.

by Anonymousreply 2808/17/2013

[quote]Evangelicals have made trips there, because they support the idea of an Evangelical state. They have funded those church's with money from their own pockets at times.

The "money from their own pockets" is money they collect from churches in the U.S. where they preach their message of Hate.

by Anonymousreply 2908/17/2013

[quote]Be nice if the IRS looked into his business affairs too. These creeps are usually financial crooks as well.

Indeed. Hitting them in the wallet is usually the most effective way,

This may be the beginning of the end for these haters.

by Anonymousreply 3008/17/2013

[quote]This may be the beginning of the end for these haters.

I doubt that. They'll never give up.

by Anonymousreply 3108/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.