Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WATCH: Is It Offensive To Ask If Someone Is Gay?

You're opinion, girls?

by Anonymousreply 3408/19/2013

yes. That little homo Andy Cohen asked me if I swim in the Lady pond. He will be killed soon.

by Anonymousreply 108/16/2013

I don't think its offensive but its a strange question to ask someone you just met or don't know well. Its like why do you give a shit?

by Anonymousreply 308/16/2013

Maybe someone is looking for instructions? Not everyone gets issued the How-to-Gay manual.

by Anonymousreply 508/16/2013

Yes. There is no gay, or straight.

by Anonymousreply 608/16/2013

yes

by Anonymousreply 708/16/2013

It depends on how well you know the person. One of the most tone deaf questions well meaning straight people ask is "when did you first know you were gay?" as if the glimpse of one magnificent male ass is what flipped a switch.

by Anonymousreply 808/16/2013

[quote]You're opinion, girls?

[quote]I don't think its offensive but its a strange question

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 908/16/2013

Um you need my full sentence there. It is a strange question to ask someome you don't know well. You could argue it borderlines homophobia. I mean why should they give a shit if you are if they are not a friend or family member. I can't stand random people asking me if i'm gay or not. I don't know you, you're not my mom and we're not dating so why do you want to know? To bash me?

by Anonymousreply 1008/16/2013

In theory there should is absolutely nothing offensive about it. However we don't live in such an enlightened society that every gay person feels comfortable and trust strangers.

A lot does have to do it with the tone in which you ask the question.

by Anonymousreply 1208/16/2013

How often do you ask someone if they are straight?

by Anonymousreply 1308/16/2013

My son has asked a couple of his roommates if they're gay. The first one he asked because on his facebook page it had interested in men. The second roommate he had over the summer he asked because the guy acted more stereotypical. No one took offense but maybe that's because they were both gay.

by Anonymousreply 1408/16/2013

Would it be ok to ask someone you hardly know if they're a Christian, Jew or Muslim?

by Anonymousreply 1508/16/2013

People are way too nosy these days. I remember a straight acquaintance once telling me that she was trying to find out if her gay counselor was the "wife" or the "husband" in the relationship. I responded that others made up lies about me and who I was dating and why all of the time, and that they just needed to get their own life.

by Anonymousreply 1608/16/2013

I always wonder why people are so curious. My friend at work has told me that he's had people ask him about my sexuality. Does it effect how I do my job? They aren't working for the census bureau, so why should they care?

by Anonymousreply 1708/16/2013

R17 It seems to be human nature to try to put people in a box. Different makes them uncomfortable until they can categorize it. I used to get asked constantly by strangers about my race (i'm a mix of several races) and my nationality . It could happen anywhere like one time at a Panda Express by the guy behind the counter. Tell me what that has to do with beef and broccoli and fried rice.

Sometimes I think people like your coworker want to know so they can know who they can say things like, that's so gay or use other derogatory gay slurs around.

by Anonymousreply 1908/16/2013

I dont think its offensive. Strange and maybe kind of tacky, yes. But not really offensive.

by Anonymousreply 2008/16/2013

Wait. Andre Leon Talley is straight? Really??

by Anonymousreply 2108/16/2013

OP, I cannot worry about the informing anyone who imagines that "you're" is a possessive.

by Anonymousreply 2208/16/2013

No, but perhaps you should just ask if the man ever goes up into the man.

by Anonymousreply 2308/16/2013

[quote]You're opinion, girls?

OP, why are you only seeking opinions from young females?

Will you be repeating 5th grade this year? That's where they teach the difference between "your" and "you're."

by Anonymousreply 2608/16/2013

A Mormon doctor working the the clinic where I worked asked me if I was gay in front of his nurse and a patient. I was collecting a specimen in an examination room.

I looked at him and he quickly said "I am gay also", I assumed to ease my confession. Instead of answering the question I responded, no thanks, you aren't my type.

by Anonymousreply 2708/16/2013

Depends totally upon the circumstances. THAT is the proper answer. One can tell if someone is being nosy or rude. Or should be able to tell. If someone asks me and it is in an improper or odd or awkward situation or is just plain rude, I will come back with "And that would be any of your business...why?" Or I will ask "Why are you asking?" The cuntier they are, the cuntier I can be.

by Anonymousreply 2808/16/2013

R29, SO true! Word choices reveal so much, yes? I was watching a news clip yesterday about that Bachelor contestant girl who killed herself and some other contestant, who had been on the show with her, said "It is just awful what happened to her." I immediately thought "Nothing happened TO her, honey. She killed HERSELF." Very revealing word choice.

by Anonymousreply 3008/16/2013

"You're opinion, girls?"

Is it offensive to ask if you were home-schooled, you illiterate cumquat?

by Anonymousreply 3208/16/2013

Who cares about what girls think?

by Anonymousreply 3308/19/2013

I'm female so I realize what I think doesn't count but it seems to me it's putting someone on the spot. If they wanted to be out you'd probably already know about it. If they don't want to be out then they are forced to lie or be uncomfortable evading the question.

by Anonymousreply 3408/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.