Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are there white trash people in Switzerland?

Do they live in rural areas? Also, can we discuss Zurich?

by Anonymousreply 4008/19/2013

anyone, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 108/15/2013

There are rednecks and poor people everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 208/15/2013

Hmmm not really. I live in Switzerland part of the year, have done so many years, but my home is in the French speaking part of the country. However we do refer to the canton of Valais as "land of the big heads" in that it appears a bit of inbreeding has taken place there. Switzerland is so economically sound and overly controlled (for instance you're ticketed if your car has a dent in it - you have 30 days to fix it) that one doesn't really have the opportunity to throw a fridge or toilet out on the front lawn.

by Anonymousreply 308/15/2013

R3, do you mean actual inbreeding in Valais?

Didn't Nabakov die in Switzerland?

by Anonymousreply 408/15/2013

Yes, N lived and died in the Montreux area. There has always been an extraordinary expat community along the lake from Montreux to just west of Lausanne... Graham Greene, Coco Chanel, David Niven (tho he was in the mtns), Audrey Hepburn, C Chaplin. The list goes on an on. Even today the Saturday morning market in Lausanne is chock full of "oh look, there's __________."

by Anonymousreply 508/15/2013

R5, it all seems very twee.

by Anonymousreply 608/15/2013

R4 Oh, about the inbreeding in the Valais. Who knows? we joke about it because the locals are so unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 708/16/2013

Give it up Oprah

by Anonymousreply 808/16/2013

LOVE,LOVE ,LOVE. , The Land of the Big Heads.

In St. Thomas they're called "frenchies"!

by Anonymousreply 908/16/2013

OP = Oprah

by Anonymousreply 1008/16/2013

And YOU get accused of racism! And YOU get accused of racism...

by Anonymousreply 1108/16/2013

I can't really speak for Switzerland specifically but there is white trash everywhere in Europe. In Germany they call them proles.

by Anonymousreply 1208/16/2013

Not since Marc Rich died. We hardly ever see the Clintons anymore

by Anonymousreply 1308/16/2013

I've been told that all the reactionary redneck-equivalents are in Austria.

Schwarzenegger came from such people.

by Anonymousreply 1408/16/2013

Of course there are white trash people here; our country is spotless.

by Anonymousreply 1508/16/2013

White trash = the whole kanton Aargau

by Anonymousreply 1608/16/2013

Switzerland and Singapore don't allow for poor white or yellow trash. Both extremely controlled quasi police states.

by Anonymousreply 1708/18/2013

almost all da whites rednex trash dey makes me laff dey all stupid like Boss Hogg dey don't know we all laffs at dem they idiot stupid. sorry I no what I try to say but 2 much smack an coke to-nite and I done 2 much lol. I like um white but most trailer trash who stuped lol.

white okay black better U agree? lol.

by Anonymousreply 1808/18/2013

R18 Seek help - rehab really works.

by Anonymousreply 1908/18/2013

Lets talk about Zürich. Zürich is very beautiful and clean. Nice lake. Yet, there is nothing original about this place or the people there. All they can do is copycating in order to become culturally relevant. For example, the film festival or fashion week, although no one gives a shit about these events.

by Anonymousreply 2008/18/2013

Of course there are white trash people in Switzerland.

What do you want to know about Zurich?

by Anonymousreply 2108/18/2013

I'm moving from Stockholm to Zürich in two weeks. Excited yet nervous!!

by Anonymousreply 2208/18/2013

Don't be shocked when they are burning the bög (gay). It's just a doll...

by Anonymousreply 2308/18/2013

R3 I wish I'd known you. I'm American.

I went to a boarding school in the canton of Vaud, near Château-d'Œx.

by Anonymousreply 2408/18/2013

OP, to answer your question, I didn't meet any "white trash" people there. I met many uneducated people, primarily older ones, but they weren't mean-spirited, simply stupid. The young people were smart and eager and polyglot and wanted to get the fuck out of Château-d'Œx.

by Anonymousreply 2508/18/2013

Swiss chick, What's the gay scene like in Zurich and Switzerland? What would happen if, say, a macho jock in high school was known or suspected to be gay? Would he be shunned? Are people open about it or is the closet and bearding as rampant as in the US?

Also, which of the cultures is more gay friendly? German, French or Italian?

by Anonymousreply 2608/18/2013

Even if they had PWT at least they don't going around murdering people.

by Anonymousreply 2708/18/2013

I spent a bit of time in Zurich, it is beautiful, crowded & has great museums. Also expensive. My BIL is living in a million dollar flat that is a small 2 bedroom with a tiny parking space.

by Anonymousreply 2808/18/2013

[quote]Swiss chick, What's the gay scene like in Zurich and Switzerland? What would happen if, say, a macho jock in high school was known or suspected to be gay? Would he be shunned? Are people open about it or is the closet and bearding as rampant as in the US? Also, which of the cultures is more gay friendly? German, French or Italian?

I can only speak for the German part because I don't really know about the other parts of Switzerland.

A "macho jock in high school" is a very American concept as it seems. I guess you mean what would happen if a popular guy at Gymnasium (maybe like a football player) would come out? I guess that depends on the school and the area. I've heard from people who came out young at school and it wasn't a problem at all but I also heard about homophobia at schools.

The gay scene in Switzerland is probably disappointing if one comes from a place with a huge and diverse gay scene. I guess one can say that the gay scene is mainly in Zurich. There you have everything you'd want and need as a gay man (as far as I know) but it's still a small scene compared to other cities. In other places you also have gay clubs or organizations but I would say they are harder to find.

In the cities people are usually pretty tolerant and especially with people my age (late twenties or younger) there aren't that many problems coming out. Most of my friends are out to parents and at work and it was never an issue. Maybe it's just my circle of friends.

Thinking about homosexuality in Switzerland it's not really easy to make a general statement. Regarding acceptance it matters where you are and regarding gay scene it matters what you expect and want. But a lot of gay people I know (and I know a lot) live a comfortable and out life.

by Anonymousreply 2908/18/2013

R28, it is expensive of course but you can live with little money quite well. You just have to know where and how.

by Anonymousreply 3008/18/2013

Swiss chick, please, where and how do you do it?

by Anonymousreply 3108/18/2013

That Swiss Miss who's always pushing her cocoa is a real slut.

by Anonymousreply 3208/18/2013

One White Trash thing I've never understood about the Germanic people (including the Swiss) is their love of car accessories. Give a German a BMW and before you know it he's off adding fog lights, driving lights, running lights, extra horns, rally mirrors, spoilers, seat covers, and let's not even talk about big stereo systems and GPS, because that's just a given.

I mean, Swiss bankers drive around in cars that are a set of curb finders and a nodding Chihuahua in the rear window short of being right at home in South Central LA.

by Anonymousreply 3308/18/2013

Lots of tuned cars are the first thing you notice when you drive from Zutich to Aargau, the white trash mekka. Apartements there are probably cheap r31.

by Anonymousreply 3408/18/2013

How difficult is it to emigrate to Switzerland? I'm fluent in French and know enough German to get by, if that helps.

by Anonymousreply 3508/18/2013

I work for a big company In Switz. Many of the employees there don't speak german nor french. Language is no problem as long you have an adequate degree/career.

by Anonymousreply 3608/18/2013

From what I understood, as a child when we lived in Switzerland for a while, you had to have secured employment beforehand. Of course that can't be quite right, because there were a ton of refugees everywhere. Bern, I found was a nicer city. Probably has nothing to offer a non-senior citizen, but it is beautiful.

St. Gallen is not nice at all. The city is a dump, and the rest of the Kanton too. Some of the less populated (by young people) places are actually really nice, lots of green spaces, mountains and outdoors stuff to do.

by Anonymousreply 3708/18/2013

Isn't there an Italian-speaking part of Switzerland, too? Maybe that's their version of "Jersey Shore."

by Anonymousreply 3808/18/2013

The Swiss have white trash, but to see them you need to tour an allotment garden or "Schrebergarten," those fields full of shacks you can see from the train at the outskirts of any German or Swiss city.

That's where they fly their freak flags high. That's where the BBQ grills and garden gnomes and the crap supporting their local football club is on display. Go on the weekends and you'll see the guy sitting on his folding chair in front of his shack wearing a wife-beater t-shirt and holding a can of beer, and you'll think you're in Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 3908/19/2013

The confusion here is caused by the fact that there is no cosmopolitan worldly class in Switzerland and except criminals hiding their money there. So the whole country is basically white trash in the Anglo-American view. However, having a functioning democracy has given them a level of pride you just don't see in Newcastle or Little Rock.

by Anonymousreply 4008/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!