Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is life like in countries like Sweden and Norway?

You know these tiny wealthy countries that few people know about. I wonder what life is like in those countries. We rarely hear about them and many of us don't know about their existence. I heard that pretty much everything is free in Sweden even college tuition. Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 8503/13/2014

It's becoming more like this:

by Anonymousreply 108/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 208/15/2013

[quote]We rarely hear about them and many of us don't know about their existence.

Where do you come from OP that few of your people know of the existence of Sweden or Norway?

[I'm sure I know the disappointing answer, but I'm asking anyway.]

by Anonymousreply 308/15/2013

Then I guess the truth is racist:

by Anonymousreply 408/15/2013

Sweden and Norway are countries few people know about?

Do you live in a Walmart in Kentucky?

by Anonymousreply 508/15/2013

Sigh R2, are you really conflating Switzerland with the Scandinavian countries like Norway/Sweden which the OP was referring to? Because they are very different.

by Anonymousreply 608/15/2013

Nothing exposes the utter failure of a viewpoint or opinion that instead of meaningful debate or counter argument one has to resort to ad hominem attacks.

by Anonymousreply 708/15/2013

r7-----simple minded fool who takes life too seriously and gets no fun out of it

by Anonymousreply 808/15/2013

If I could get a good job doing something meaningful there on a permament basis I'd move to either of those countries in a heartbeat. You can also add Denmark to that list. Free healthcare, education and good governement pensions. Overall they are progressive countries (yes there are racists in all countries). Clean, safe, stylish, cosmopolitan, historical and green. In one word: heaven.

by Anonymousreply 908/15/2013

Long days in the summer. Gray and dark very, very early in the winter.

Although I enjoyed Stockholm very much, beautiful city.

by Anonymousreply 1008/15/2013

I think you mean "Mads" r11

by Anonymousreply 1208/15/2013

Visited Sweden last summer and loved it. Stockholm is a beautiful city and very gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 1308/15/2013

No, R12, I mean Lars. He's Mads Mikkelsen's better-looking brother. Also an actor, played Troels in the original of The Killing (Forbrydelsen).

by Anonymousreply 1408/15/2013

BORING and freezing cold in winter.

by Anonymousreply 1508/15/2013

R15 is right - Boring, but they have good lives.

My mom is from Sweden and has a house there - I go every other year and 2 members of my family are there now.

On the one hand, I love the country - there are a lot of positives and you can live very well.

But no fucking way would I live there. Expensive, not lively, and the long days of summer (light from 3am to 12pm) do not make up for the winters.

Don't get me started about the stuck-up Stockholmers and their accent which sounds like Schmoo from 70's cartoons.

by Anonymousreply 1608/15/2013

OP, Sweden and Norway aren't what I would call "tiny." Sweden's about the same size as California. A tiny wealthy country would be like Monaco, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, or Singapore.

by Anonymousreply 1708/16/2013

better like lingonberries

by Anonymousreply 1808/16/2013

Well, Norway has Andreas Viestad who is cute, charming, quirky, and a great cook. Sweden has Prince Carl Philip who is the best looking male royal in Europe. So both Norway and Sweden are appealing to me!

by Anonymousreply 1908/16/2013

Gore Vidal said, most Americans spend so much time worrying about all the countries with people trying to immigrate to the US, that they would never believe there're countries with almost no immigration to the US at all.

Switzerland & Sweden are two.

by Anonymousreply 2008/16/2013

R6 Oprah doesn't do geography.

by Anonymousreply 2208/16/2013

Sweden is considered the birth place of international human rights standards. After WWII they had a very humane open door policy re political refugees. I think they're starting to regret it as minority nationalist groups are now causing problems.

Both Norway and Sweden are wonderful places to visit in summer. Food is good, people nice, very clean countries with good infrastructure. But if you want to live in either of these countries you'd better have a winter home in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 2308/16/2013

Besides herring and meatballs, what are typipcal Norwegian and Swedish foods? It is mostly fish and meat based cuisine?

by Anonymousreply 2508/16/2013

Tell that to the Jews in Malmo.

by Anonymousreply 2608/16/2013

Damn. I'm going to Malmo in about 6 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 2708/17/2013

What's the name of the Finnish athlete with the yellow skin?

by Anonymousreply 2808/17/2013

[R25] Yum...

by Anonymousreply 2908/17/2013

OP is the proud product of home schoolin' in the US.

by Anonymousreply 3008/17/2013

r9 How do you think they pay for all those programs you want to be part of? Their tax rates are among the highest in the world, that's how. r25 I hope you like lutefisk?

by Anonymousreply 3108/17/2013

R31, most people in countries with good social security, free education and healthcare are happy to pay taxes to support those programmes - including my country. We just had a 3% hike in Medicare to establish a national disability insurance scheme for a small portion of the population and very few people complained about it - not even our equivalent of Freepers. Double digit minimum wages, unions and government worker protections mean all of these things are achieved. Our top tax rate for high income earners is nearly 50%. It boggles me to read about waiters making $4 an hour and how employers treat mid/low end workers in the USA, not to mention the cost of education and healthcare. I don't want to derail the thread into a political debate, but on the whole, the citizens of Scandanavian countries (and similar) don't share the point of view that taxes for government services are bad. I live the benefits of good goverment services every day - which led me to Norway, Sweden and Denmark for work. I love it there because as an avid traveller you're a short flight away from anywhere else in Europe and the scenery and cities are breathtakingly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 3208/17/2013

R31 Precisely. Most Americans don't get it because they receive very little bang for their tax buck.

by Anonymousreply 3308/17/2013

R32, you sound like a fellow Australian - you're right about not hearing any grumbling about the national disability scheme, which is really interesting.

I'm going to visit Norway and Sweden in a few weeks time. Any hints on where to go in the bigger cities in terms of entertainment and - importantly - where to get good coffee?

by Anonymousreply 3408/18/2013

[quote]I'm going to visit Norway and Sweden in a few weeks time. Any hints on where to go in the bigger cities in terms of entertainment and - importantly - where to get good coffee?

for that you're going to have to travel a little bit more to the Colombia

by Anonymousreply 3508/18/2013

Extremely passive aggressive. But then, most west Euro nations are.

by Anonymousreply 3708/18/2013

Anders Breivik can look cute but he looks bloated. He not like my super cutie James Holmes. Squee!

by Anonymousreply 3808/18/2013

Every Swede I've ever met seems to be called Anders.

by Anonymousreply 4008/18/2013

"countries LIKE Sweden and Norway"? So you don't actually want to know about Sweden and Norway themselves, just countries LIKE them? Say ... Denmark? Or perhaps Finland?

by Anonymousreply 4108/18/2013

Life there is like a 1970's ABBA music video.

by Anonymousreply 4208/18/2013

LIke the other Nordic countries, Denmark has equal marriage, but that applies only to metropolitan (i.e. continental) Denmark. The other countries within the kingdom, the Faroe Islands and Greenland, have devolved parliaments that haven't yet passed equal marriage legislation.

It's only a matter of time for the Faroes, though: public opinion in favor of gay rights is increasing each year by leaps and bounds. This year 6,000 people (out of a total population of c. 50,000) marched in the Tórshavn pride parade. Don't know about Greenland.

On the subject of immigration, Iceland has about 700 Muslims in the Reykjavík area. They're just now getting a mosque, construction of which is bringing out people's true feelings about immigrants (that is, people aren's shy about making their opposition known).

by Anonymousreply 4308/18/2013

USA should buy Greenland.

by Anonymousreply 4408/18/2013

Beautiful country. Here's hoping the more bigoted amongst you stay away.

by Anonymousreply 4508/18/2013

Mads has a brother, Lars, who also acts (The Killing - the original Danish version). Although I prefer Mads.

by Anonymousreply 4608/18/2013

An endless Viking saga of despair.

by Anonymousreply 4708/18/2013

Most citizens seem to be against widespread Muslim immigration, yet why is it allowed to continue? Who is allowing it?

by Anonymousreply 4808/18/2013

Don't go OP. It's ABBA everywhere you go, 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 5008/18/2013

The bigots are already there...they're called Muslims.

by Anonymousreply 5108/22/2013

[quote] I heard that pretty much everything is free in Sweden even college tuition.

Yep, pretty much everything is free, free, free. Money doesn't have to grow on trees there because everything is FREE! The college professors teach for FREE as well because they're such nice people. There's no maintenance costs on the college campuses because the workers work for, you guessed it, FREE!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5208/22/2013

Does it all look like one big Ikea catalogue?

by Anonymousreply 5308/22/2013

Agree 100% with R39.

by Anonymousreply 5408/22/2013

[quote]Everyone is against Muslim immigration. EVERYONE.

I wonder why...

The number of rapes across Scandinavia has more than tripled over the last decade or so. Sweden now has the second highest rate in the world, after South Africa Statistics suggest that 1 out of every 4 Swedish women will be raped.

The Swedish government keeps statistics on the nationality and/or ethnicity of convicted rapists but it won't release the figures. I wonder why...

Anecdotal evidence (yes, I know what that's worth but it does gauge the feelings of the general population) indicates that something like 80% of the rapes are caused by foreigners, primarily from North Africa and the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 5508/22/2013

Sometimes I sigh in dreamy wish for the high tax rate of these NOrdic countries. I know that sounds silly, but the ongoing stress of needing to find money for my eyes, my teeth, my general healthcare (no health insurance for me in 15 years). I'm totally fucked if I have something catastrophic happen, or an injury that puts me out of work since I only get paid when I work. I have nothing in retirement and very little in social security. All these are huge burdens and worries. I was never able to afford schooling since I had to concentrate on working hard just to subsist. I know, poor me, but I speak the same story that many speak in the U.S.

If I had to pay a lot in taxes, yes, that's another kind of burden, but there would be a stability in it too, some basic things I could count on. I wouldn't harbor the uncertainty regarding my future or basic care.

by Anonymousreply 5608/22/2013

I could quite happily live anywhere in Scandinavia. I spent some time in Sweden and Denmark and loved both countries. I heard through others that Norway is also wonderful. Civilized, efficient, and clean. Beautiful people too, thought quite reserved on the surface and hard to get to know.

I'm a gay Canadian introvert so I think I would fit in perfectly there. And I love Nordic-looking men.

by Anonymousreply 5708/22/2013

[quote] OP, Sweden and Norway aren't what I would call "tiny."

Norway, however, has very little habitable space. Something like 81% of the land is uninhabited. The population is only 5 million. In comparison, I live on an island that is only 120 miles long and less than 25 miles wide which contains almost 8 million people. There are almost as many Norwegian Americans as there are Norwegians.

So, in a way, Norway is a "small" country. But not tiny.

by Anonymousreply 5908/22/2013

It sure is, R58.

by Anonymousreply 6008/22/2013

What's the most socialized country, with the best benefits, that I can emigrate to from the U.S. and not get kicked out? And how would I go about such a thing?

Note: I am male / can't get pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 6108/22/2013

I'm already paying close to 30% taxes on a meager salary and getting next to nothing in return. I wouldn't mind paying more knowing my money was going to the general health and welfare of my countrymen, instead of bailing out banksters, corporate welfare and the giant jobs program known as the U.S. military.

by Anonymousreply 6208/22/2013

Very beautiful countries, lots of forests and empty outdoors. Oslo and Stockholm among other cities are stunning. Norway's economy is one of the strongest in the world thanks to oil and gasoline. State and society work well. Excellent places to live.

by Anonymousreply 6308/22/2013

I hope immigrant men who rape are deported and never allowed back into the country. It's different here, in the US, where they can just turn around and walk back across he border. But Sweden could keep deported immigrants from re-entering their country.

by Anonymousreply 6408/22/2013

[quote]What's the most socialized country, with the best benefits, that I can emigrate to from the U.S. and not get kicked out? And how would I go about such a thing?

It's not that easy to just immigrate to a new country. Most Western countries want you to have something to contribute. You need to have a job there, for one thing. A good one.

Even if you marry a citizen of one of those socialized countries that allow same sex marriage (Canada, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, etc) it's a long and difficult process to be approved for resident status.

by Anonymousreply 6508/22/2013

Why is it so easy for Muslims to emigrate to these countries? They have jobs waiting for them?

by Anonymousreply 6608/22/2013

[quote]Why is it so easy for Muslims to emigrate to these countries? They have jobs waiting for them?

I'm assuming their families sponsor them to come over.

by Anonymousreply 6708/22/2013

[quote]Norway's economy is one of the strongest in the world thanks to oil and gasoline.

Well, the economy of Norway is strong the way the economies of, say, Venezuela and Saudi Arabia are strong: they have something people want but they're all one-trick ponies. All Norway has to offer the world is petrol. There's no diversification that you find in a truly healthy economy.

It is the petrol industry that's paying for the social security system you all seem to admire. Heaven help them if the rest of Western Europe and North America continue to invest in alternative sources of energy or pursue energy self-reliance. If the Norwegian petrol industry goes flat or tanks for any reason, they are in serious trouble.

And, yes, Norwegians are well aware of all this, but most seem content to believe that they live in the best of all possible worlds and that life will always be just the way it is now.

by Anonymousreply 6808/23/2013

44: The US did at one time try to buy Greenland. Was turned down by the Danish parlement. They did sell us what is now the U.S. Virgin Islands/

by Anonymousreply 6908/23/2013

Norway's economy is much more diversified than Saudi Arabia's, r68. Agriculture, forestry, fishing and plenty of small industry, I imagine. Whereas SA has oil and religion.

by Anonymousreply 7008/23/2013

That would be so racist, R64.

by Anonymousreply 7108/23/2013

Not all that actually.

by Anonymousreply 7203/13/2014

Mads Mikkelsen bump

by Anonymousreply 7303/13/2014

they play black metal there

by Anonymousreply 7403/13/2014

R72, information like the one at the link you provided is why I regularly come to DL. thanks!

by Anonymousreply 7503/13/2014

[quote]The bigots are already there...they're called Muslims.

I couldn't agree more. See The Netherlands for another example

by Anonymousreply 7603/13/2014

Great article R72, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 7703/13/2014

Don't they get about 6 weeks vacation a year? Plenty of time to visit Spain, Cyprus, Capri, Monaco, Malta or the Canary Islands in winter.

by Anonymousreply 7803/13/2014

OP sounds like my borderline PD'd friend or someone from a marginal town of some sort of color.

My (former) buddy has really let his ignorance shine through on FB pages. A real slacktivist. A parrot through his aspie friend in tech bitching and posting anti-American crap.

Maybe two years at a community college split up all of the place. He's one of those fag Anglophiles who traveled to London on his boyfriend's dime. Quick, transient trips to Caribbean countries where he mooched off of other cokeheads. He only calls his old friends when his living arrangements with his current sucker go south. He gets kicked out due to his meddling between others who have it better than him. Gets fired from every job due to his borderline tendencies to always have it in for someone. That BPD black/white thinking that someone is either all good or all bad. As a result he always finds himself on the balls of his ass and THEN you hear from him. Just like Halle Berry, you know it'll end up in tragedy. There's a lot like him at DL and I love it. A good reminder to how well I've turn out.

Hey but Svenske has learned her lesson. You can't expect backward people who were nomadic and religious not so long ago to adjust to a society that has paid its dues, gone through industrial revolutions, etc. They need to go the way of Germany. They hire guest workers to do the lowly jobs and don't offer them anything as permanent residents. Once they've served their purpose, they're out.

by Anonymousreply 7903/13/2014

Greenland belongs to Denmark and Canada has a better chance at melding with them. Canadian companies have invested in rights to some of Greenland's land. Why? When the southern ice sheet started to melt precious gemstones were found everywhere. Especially rubies. Gemstones all over the beaches there. Rubies of quality too. The Canadian companies have tried to steal lands from the natives, cutting them out of millions of dollars in riches. It's still going on right now.

by Anonymousreply 8003/13/2014

Right there on the beach. Loaded with gemstones.

by Anonymousreply 8103/13/2014

R79, what are you on about? "Svenske"?? Do you mean Sverige??

Du är otrolig dum. Håll tyst, snälla!

by Anonymousreply 8203/13/2014

R79 is objectively disordered.

There are dozens of countries now where average people live better than in the US, and they aren't all in Europe either.

by Anonymousreply 8303/13/2014

Op is either a new yorker who inherently doesn't recognize ant place outside of NY or a Cali stoner who is to high to notice anyplace outside of their immediate location.

by Anonymousreply 8403/13/2014

50-65% income tax rates. Even higher, depending on your bracket.

Thanks, but I'd rather decide how to spend more of the money I earn.

by Anonymousreply 8503/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!