Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's this 'rainbow bridge' crap that pet owners post on Facebook?

When did people start referring to pet deaths as 'crossing the bridge' and a 'rainbow bridge' being the final destination for a pet? This seems to just be a recent thing. Did I miss something? It's a Frau thing, right?

by Anonymousreply 4610/26/2014

are the dogs gay?

by Anonymousreply 208/15/2013

It is very comforting for someone who has lost a pet. There is scarce sympathy for those types of things, so the Rainbow Bridge is pretty wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 308/15/2013

I am a dog owner, and I find it creepy and frau-ish.

by Anonymousreply 408/15/2013

No idea if it's a frau thing, but it's an expression that's gained momentum in the last 20 years or so.

It's not something I can ever see myself saying, but I can't sneer. I'm a softie for pets. I admit I cry whenever I hear about someone else's pet dying. Not publicly, but still.

It's based on this awful, cloying poem (which also makes me cry because I'm a sap about dog stuff):

** Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

by Anonymousreply 508/15/2013

I'm an old woman who loves animals & my pets are as much a part of the family as the people are (& far better than some of those), but I detest that term. I see it all the time on rescue group websites & friends' FB pages & it makes me gag -- it's hard enough to learn of the death without having to endure that inane euphemism.

by Anonymousreply 708/15/2013

I like it and it has been comforting to me during a really sad, dark time. I hope there is some truth to it. It would be nice to be met by some old friends who were always faithful and who always loved me no matter what. I love my dogs.

by Anonymousreply 808/15/2013

Is there a thread on this?

Chinese zoo tries passing off dog as an 'African lion'

by Anonymousreply 908/15/2013

I also detest the terms "forever home" & "furbaby".

R8, no harm in believing that you'll be together again with those you love. Maybe it is true, none of us knows otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 1008/17/2013

R11 = Ann Romney?

by Anonymousreply 1208/18/2013

The last two times I had my pets put down at the vet (cancer) I received a card from them which included a story about the pet having "crossed over" on the rainbow bridge. I think it started as a way to make kids feel better and now they do it for everybody. Sometimes I love the bluntness of the elderly. My mother asked me what was wrong with people today as they had to have grief counsellors every time something happened. This is another example of people needling a little boost to process life.

by Anonymousreply 1308/18/2013

When I put my cat of 14 years down, I also got a rainbow ridge card from the vet who euthanized her which was nice and comforting.

by Anonymousreply 1408/18/2013

[quote]are the dogs gay?

Only after they cross the Rainbow Bridge. That's how it got its name.

by Anonymousreply 1508/18/2013

The rainbow bridge only appears after purple rain. Then doves cry, and it becomes graffiti bridge.

by Anonymousreply 1708/18/2013

This thread is making me nauseous.

by Anonymousreply 1808/18/2013

You mean nauseated, R18.

by Anonymousreply 1908/19/2013

People have become increasingly self-involved and alienated from society so animals are all they have left.

by Anonymousreply 2008/19/2013

r20 THAT is a very sad comment on our time.

by Anonymousreply 2108/19/2013

I predict that one day a person will have their dead animals buried with them just like the Egyptians did.

The end of another civilization looms.

by Anonymousreply 2208/19/2013

As one who lost a cat a couple of weeks ago, I saw the "rainbow bridge" concept floated where I had him cremated. At the time, it really did not bother me thinking that my little guy and long-time companion was off having fun in a better place. I am back to reality now, but see no harm if it helps in the moment - which it did.

by Anonymousreply 2308/19/2013

What R3 said. Yes, it's silly but it's comforting to people in the initial stages of pet grief. I was distraught after putting my cat down earlier this year. It was comforting to imagine us reuniting someday, even if those thoughts were pure fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 2408/19/2013

R23, emotions like love, empathy and compassion are harshly ridiculed and rebuked on DL. Sociopathy and disdain for ones fellow (wo)man are the norm, as the OP and most replies clearly indicate. Just FYI.

by Anonymousreply 2508/19/2013

R5, I've read that poem a dozen times and it make me teary every time. uggggggh.

by Anonymousreply 2608/19/2013

R16, Some, especially children, feel comforted by the wonderful idea that beloved pets will have a long, healthy life forever free from pain. At it's best, faith offers hope and peace. Psychologically it's far better than the fearful and negative preaching of hell, fire and damnation.

by Anonymousreply 2708/19/2013

In Norse mythology, there is a burning rainbow bridge between the world and the realm of the gods.

by Anonymousreply 2808/19/2013

What about those of us who suspect there may be a sweet hereafter for animals, but not for us?

by Anonymousreply 2908/19/2013

That seems like an odd belief system, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3008/19/2013

"Your little Arthur is thinking of you in heaven today and wagging his tail."

by Anonymousreply 3108/19/2013

It reminds me of the scenes in Chocolat where the priest tells the old lady that her dog won't go to heaven.

by Anonymousreply 3208/19/2013

Atheist dyslexic cat says, "Where's your Dog now?"

by Anonymousreply 3410/25/2014

My dog is too cool to cross the Rainbow Bridge. I adore him, but he isn't my furbaby.

by Anonymousreply 3510/25/2014

I made Bungle cross the Rainbow bridge when he stole my cakes.

by Anonymousreply 3610/25/2014

How much did it cost to cremate your cat,R23 ? And what did you do with the ashes ? Do you have them in a tasteful urn ? Some sort of shrine perhaps ?

by Anonymousreply 3710/25/2014

It's not recent. I remember that term being used on forums 10 years ago. What's it to you? Some people seem really miserable.

by Anonymousreply 3810/25/2014

Not R23, but it cost me about $275 to get my cat cremated and his ashes mailed to me. He's still in his original metal can that they shipped him in as I've been waiting for my mom to make me a tasteful wooden case for him. She's a woodworker and makes lovely things.

by Anonymousreply 3910/25/2014

R33. Just saying: we have no more empirical evidence to support the mythology of Christianity (separate from whoever that carpenter's troublesome "zealous" son was historically) than that of a rainbow bridge where we all get reunited with pets (and other loved ones). Personally, if only one of these belief systems could be "true," I'd prefer the latter.

by Anonymousreply 4010/25/2014

I feel someone should warn a few of you that that thing at R5 isn't a poem. I'd hate for you to have to learn it the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 4110/25/2014

Do tadpoles go there? We had a pond as a kid. There were hundreds of them!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4210/25/2014

for Cats, I prefer the idea of the Jellicle Ball and Heaviside Layer.

For dogs? Pfffft.

by Anonymousreply 4310/25/2014

Losing a pet is so, so sad, no doubt. But the now ubiquitous rainbow bridge reassurance just seems infantilizing to me. Plus, the only people I've heard speak of it are people who aren't very nice to other people. I'm not saying there's a connection, but it does make the whole thing a bit annoying.

by Anonymousreply 4410/26/2014

One of the younger fraus I work with put 10K on her Visa card for cancer treatment for her 10 year old dog. It died about a month after the treatment stopped. I had to keep it a secret but it made me laugh like hell.

by Anonymousreply 4510/26/2014

I wish I could remember the Archie Bunker quote about dogs going to heaven. Something like I might as well die and go to the Bronx if that's true.

by Anonymousreply 4610/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!