Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

You're not the boss of me (HELP!)

I just started a new job this week. It's a temp job and there are 4 of us on the assignment. Two of the other people are extremely dumb. The other one is smart, but is a total know-it-all who acts as if he's been here for years. In reality he's been here for TWO WEEKS. I cannot even begin to tell you how overbearing and obnoxious he is. For example, he just left early and asked me if I had enough work for the rest of the day. I do. But if I didn't, I'd ask my ACTUAL boss, not another temp who's also brand new and holds the exact same position as me. How do I get this guy to back off and stop acting like he's in charge??

by Anonymousreply 3208/26/2013

Why do you give a fuck? He has no power over you whatsoever. Well, except for the power you are handing him by letting him bother you. Just ignore him.

by Anonymousreply 108/15/2013

He's trying to boost his chances of being hired permanently by already acting like he has been. It's a doggy-dog world. I'm sure you're doing what you can to keep the gig too.

by Anonymousreply 208/15/2013

dog eat dog, not doggy dog, k snoop?

OP, there's always someone like that. I used to temp for many years and every company/department I temped for had another temp who acted like he ruled the kingdom. Ignore him...or better yet, laugh behind his back. Do what you can to get hired. R1 is right, don't validate him by letting him get to you.

by Anonymousreply 308/15/2013

Tell him you're not interested in his power plays, and that if you want more assignments, you'll ask the boss. Then go ask the boss for more to do.

by Anonymousreply 408/15/2013

[quote]It's a doggy-dog world.

LMFAO! I so hope you are not serious.

by Anonymousreply 508/15/2013

Maybe it shouldn't be hyphenated, but I'm pretty sure it's doggy-dog/doggy dog. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. Dogs don't eat other dogs.

by Anonymousreply 608/15/2013

TEMP!

by Anonymousreply 808/15/2013

" a doggy dog world"

I almost choked on my vegetarian enchilada.

Geez...

by Anonymousreply 908/15/2013

R2/6 are you REALLY that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 1008/15/2013

wow.

anyway OP... maybe next time he does it, say, "hey you... you are not the boss of me."

by Anonymousreply 1108/15/2013

R6, if you're a non-native ENglish speaker? one should cut you some slack. If not: dear God, were you home-schooled? Do you read? Did you not EVER heard that expression, "dog eat dog"? I don't know the derivation, but I can get the sense. And you never know what wild dogs do - and hello, have you heard of cannibalism? You know, where people DO ACTUALLY eat people?

I am perfectly willing to believe that somewhere dogs DO eat dogs, but again: that's so NOT the point.

And did you never see/hear the musical "Les Miserables"? The lyrics, "its the world...where the dog eats the dog..." - hello????! (One of the M. Thernadier songs; which part was massacred in the film by Sacha Baron-Cohen.)

JHC on a cross; I have NEVER heard of anyone who didn't know that expression!

by Anonymousreply 1208/17/2013

Just give the guy The Glare and move on.

by Anonymousreply 1308/17/2013

Cubefraus, cubefags, temps, they're all the same to us.

Can you get us some coffee?

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2013

Next time he pulls a dick move just tell him you're all set, the boss gave you your own assignment that morning but since he obviously isn't busy he's free to go to the boss and ask if he can be your assistant.

by Anonymousreply 1508/17/2013

Psychopaths in Offices with Doors

Willing to step on anyone to get to the top

by Anonymousreply 1608/17/2013

[quote] Two of the other people are extremely dumb

And you have attitude, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1708/17/2013

Enjoying your cube, r16?

Now get us some coffee before we downsize you.

by Anonymousreply 1808/17/2013

If you have someone who is a real pain in the ass and you want to wack him, you "find a dog who'll eat a dog."

It's a dog eat dog world.

by Anonymousreply 1908/17/2013

This is the last straw.

I want my red stapler.

by Anonymousreply 2008/17/2013

The phrase "dog eat dog" has an interesting history. It actually derives from a Latin phrase that said the opposite: "Dog does not eat dog," meaning that even dogs aren't as ruthless as humans can be.

Somewhere around the 16th century, the sense turned around, and "dog eat dog" entered the English language, hitting its height in the 1930s, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 2108/17/2013

I think I'd look at the asshole with a smirk and say, "Seriously? You're trying to play boss when you're just a temp? AND you're leaving early? I'll be sure to ask my boss if this is accepted company procedure."

by Anonymousreply 2208/17/2013

By leaving "early", I'm wondering if your colleague already has a leg up on the competition. However, please make sure you're at work at least 20 to 30 minutes early each day, keep a great attitude, don't gossip and answer personal questions that some of your colleagues may ask (in trying to be nosy), do your work to the best of your ability, ask questions if you don't understand something, follow company policies and enjoy your work day. He'll get the message if you give him The Glare when he says something out of line. That, along with ignoring him should do the job. Stay positive if he's hired first....you never know: he could be your future manager. However, he'll likely respect you more if you go ahead and set boundaries with him. Let us know how things are coming along. Don't let his actions control your good energy. If need be, calmly and professionally ask your boss how best to handle this situation without there being negative energy lingering in the workplace. Don't let the dye set with his actions. It'll likely get worse if you don't nip this in the bud very soon. Don't tell him bully you. Just go to your boss if need be. I feel you'll be ok, dear. Hang in there :)

by Anonymousreply 2308/17/2013

I have bad news for you, R6. Rats don't race and cats have no interest in your tongue.

by Anonymousreply 2408/17/2013

One eye drop (make sure only one gets into the cup!) into his coffee and he won't bother you ever again, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2508/17/2013

"Doggy dog": first one to use it in this thread is a "Modern Family"/Sofia Vergara fan.

The rest, not so much, baby cheeses...

by Anonymousreply 2608/17/2013

I'm so glad I no longer have to work.

by Anonymousreply 2708/17/2013

try this: the next time he tells you to do something, ask him: is this coming directly from you or did "our" boss tell you to tell me this? he will get the message quickly...or should. don't let this get out of hand. he sounds like a jerk. he'll likely become worse until you show him you can't be bullied, harassed and pushed around. for some reason, he sees you as weak. let him know you will speak up....please. if not, you'll hate going to work each day. put your foot down now. btw, are you female or male? either way, speak up!

by Anonymousreply 2808/18/2013

TEMP!

by Anonymousreply 2908/18/2013

r27 I hear ya', brother.

by Anonymousreply 3008/18/2013

Erm, yeah, that was Season 2 Modern Family. Keep up.

by Anonymousreply 3108/18/2013

hi OP,

give us an update please.

by Anonymousreply 3208/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.