Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mary Decker Slaney/Zola Budd documentary on ESPN

Anyone see it? How was it? Does it air again??

by Anonymousreply 1308/19/2013

Zola Budd was pure media hype.

by Anonymousreply 108/15/2013

If it's like the other episodes of the series, ESPN or ESPN2 will re-air it a couple of time over the next week. I just checked the schedule and the next time it will be shown is 3am Sunday morning on ESPN2.

It was good, OP. It was nice to see Zola interviewed for it as well since I basically only knew her as the devil that prevented Saint Mary from winning an Olympic medal.

But just like the Katharina Witt episode the week before, there wasn't enough time to go into much detail about really important things, so the show kind of glazes over them.

For example - Zola tells of how after she was granted a British passport so that she could compete internationally, she saw protesters at races for the first time. When she saw people holding signs saying "Free Mandela," she didn't even know who he was and had to ask her coach who he was and why they were holding those signs.

Then she mentioned that while living at home in South Africa she wasn't privy to the news and certainly not to the international reaction to apartheid. And that was it.

That alone would be so fascinating to know more about - but they couldn't get into it in this hour.

by Anonymousreply 208/15/2013

Oh, Grace -- you know I don't follow the volleyball.

by Anonymousreply 408/15/2013

What ever happened to Kathleen Sullivan from ABC News?

I think I'd forgotten about her until seeing this show. Did she fade away into obscurity?

by Anonymousreply 508/15/2013

r3 - search for "Nine for IX" the episode is called "Runner"

by Anonymousreply 608/15/2013

r5, Sullivan had a brief, unpleasant resurgence at E! (this was several years after she flamed out at CBS; E was still a throwaway channel at that time). She was also the celebrity spokesperson for one of the weight-loss companies for a while.

Have heard over the years since that she is essentially retired, plays golf, lives in the Palm Springs area. At her peak (ABC), she was one of the hottest talents in news; if she'd lasted, she would be giving Diane Sawyer a run for her money today.

At the very least she could have been a real contender at KABC/KCBS/KNBC in LA.

by Anonymousreply 708/15/2013

Zola's life seems pretty interesting and I wonder if this could be a movie someday. She's married with children (I mention that because I wouldn't have been surprised if she was lesbian) and has lived in South Carolina since 2008. She still runs competitively and now does marathons.

In the ESPN thing she mentions that her parents split up shortly before the Olympics. Her secretly gay father became estranged from her later and eventually was murdered - possibly by a trick gone wrong.

by Anonymousreply 808/15/2013

Decker is one bitter pill. Get over it, girly.

For the love of me, I could never understand how Zola Budd could run competitively while barefoot. It would seem such a disadvantage and so uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 1008/19/2013

Nobody though Mary was a saint, even before the race. She was always a rather nasty piece of work.

Wasn't the whole incident partly her fault anyway for running into Budd's lane? What does the documentary say?

by Anonymousreply 1208/19/2013

The documentary was pretty excellent, giving good background information about Mary and Zola; a review of the infamous incident; and follow-ups about their lives afterwards.

There is most definitely no consensus as to who was at fault. On the one hand, Zola was ahead of Mary, so you could say that-- just like with car accidents-- it can never be the fault of the person ahead. On the other hand, Zola's left leg clearly came in between Mary's, so in a sense the part of Zola's body that was behind a part of Mary's body caused the whole incident. Certainly my view is that Zola pretty clearly interfered, but I acknowledge that some informed people have a very different view.

The documentary was very well balanced on explaining Mary's reaction afterwards. Many journalists pounced on her sour grapes and "whining"; while Mary gave a very reasonable explanation that an entire lifetime of work and expectations leading up to that very moment crashed and burned in one horrific instant: she had every right to be upset. I'm on Mary's side on this one. Again, views differ.

I think it's clear that the filmmaker admires Mary, but the film was not hagiographic. It was very, very well done.

by Anonymousreply 1308/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.