Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Liking old movies

Do you think it is a uniquely gay male thing - regardless of age? The reason why I ask is because a friend told me that she knew I was gay when I kept going on and on about movies from the 40s.

by Anonymousreply 2108/18/2013

It was the slave and gladiator movies that gave it away, OP.

by Anonymousreply 108/14/2013

I'd say it depends on the type of old movie. Old war movies, action films, ninja movies = not gay. Old westerns = not gay, within the exception of [italic]Johnny Guitar[/italic].

"Gay" old movies usually refers to [italic]The Women[/italic], and such.

BTW, were the DL server really overloaded for the past 6 days?

by Anonymousreply 208/14/2013

Really gay and really interested in film = obsessive interest in Mitch Leisen and the films of Sonja Henie.

by Anonymousreply 308/14/2013

That's me r3!

by Anonymousreply 408/14/2013

I love the old screwball comedies. Mysteries too.

by Anonymousreply 508/14/2013

Not necessarily, r2. I meet up every week with a group of people to drink and dish about what movies we've seen and though there are straight guys in the group, I'm the only one who likes Westerns. (I actually LOVE Westerns, not just "Johnny Guitar.")

by Anonymousreply 608/14/2013

"Easy Living" really IS an excellent movie, r3.

by Anonymousreply 708/14/2013

My brother, as straight as straight can be, loves old movies. His favorite is Casablanca, mine is Now, Voyager, my sister loves The Maltese Falcon. Him, me and my sister are all fans of Imitation of Life but only one of us is a friend of Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 808/15/2013

My brother's father-in-law, a retired, macho, Republican, Wall St. stockbroker and avowed heterosexual, is a total old movie buff. Musicals, melodramas, battles, comedies, costume epics - he loves them all.

It's actually great because when I'm required to spend time with that clan at holidays, we can chit-chat forever without going anywhere near the verboten subjects.

by Anonymousreply 908/15/2013

I find this most worrisome.

by Anonymousreply 1008/15/2013

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 1108/16/2013

I have a good friend, totally straight, who has seen every imaginable old movie and can discuss dozens of them at length.

by Anonymousreply 1308/16/2013

So, the consensus is that OP's friend is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1408/16/2013

Lesbian thing too, OP. Those old movies were on all night until that ASSHOLE Reagan deregulated TV and we got those fucking infomercials.

by Anonymousreply 1508/16/2013

Uniquely gay? No. More common among gay men? Quite possibly.

by Anonymousreply 1608/16/2013

R12 - My favorite line in the film, from Mercedes to Joan " I'm going to keel you " , and from what everyone on the set said, MM meant it. Apparently after doing a scene amazingly well, the crew applauded her. Joan freaked out, and later that night, on lacation in Arizona, and in a drunken stupor, Joan took all Mercedes costumes out her trailer, and slashed them into shreds. May be urban legend, but makes for great story.

by Anonymousreply 1708/16/2013

[quote]More common among gay men? Quite possibly.

But why?

by Anonymousreply 1808/16/2013

Because we have fabulous taste in everything, duh.

by Anonymousreply 1908/16/2013

I dont think so. My dad loves old movies and he is as straight as they come.

by Anonymousreply 2008/16/2013

Uniquely? If so, that would make even Chris Matthews - perhaps the only male celebrity who has evaded gay rumors on DL - gay.

by Anonymousreply 2108/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.