Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay Couple Holding Hands Attacked While Leaving Manhattan Movie Theater

[bold]A group of men yelled anti-gay slurs and beat them[/bold]

Two gay men who were holding hands as they left a movie theater in Chelsea were attacked by a group of men who hurled anti-gay slurs, and one was hurt so badly he needed seven stitches on his face.

Police say the two men had left the Chelsea Cinemas just after midnight early Wednesday when they were confronted by two men on West 24th Street.

One said "what are you looking at, you f------." The attackers then started punching the victims while hurling anti-gay slurs. Police say four more men approached, who were believed to be friends of the suspects, and joined in the assault.

The victims were both taken to the hospital; one needed stitches on his chin and the other was treated for a shoulder injury.

The NYPD Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating.

After a series of anti-gay attacks in the spring, including the fatal shooting of a man in Greenwich Village, thousands rallied to denounce the violence.

by Anonymousreply 8609/09/2013

We're not even safe in New York...

by Anonymousreply 108/14/2013

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

We're at the fighting stage.

by Anonymousreply 208/14/2013

I don't want to rally; I want to kill the gay-bashers.

I've become them.

by Anonymousreply 308/14/2013

Reaction is not the same as action, R3. You're not them.

by Anonymousreply 408/15/2013

Is Pooty Poot in town? Maybe some of his people did it.

by Anonymousreply 508/15/2013

This took place literally steps from my front door. Totally freaky.

I hope they castrate the monsters who did this.

by Anonymousreply 608/15/2013

New York is a repug town.

by Anonymousreply 708/15/2013

R6, that's not a great solution for NYC because the concealed-firearm laws are (rightfully, in my opinion) draconian. It's worth saying that by-and-large NYC is still very safe to be a visibly gay man or woman.

by Anonymousreply 808/15/2013

"It's worth saying that by-and-large NYC is still very safe to be a visibly gay man or woman."

With over 25 incidents of violent homophobic crime this year alone, one of which was cold-blooded murder, I tend to disagree. I've lived here my whole adult life and this is the worst I've seen it.

by Anonymousreply 908/15/2013

R10, I agree that it's upsetting, but statistically it's still very safe here.

by Anonymousreply 1008/15/2013

I am sure if there were as many anti-gay hate crimes taking place in some town in the middle of the country as there were in the last three months in or near Chelsea, my own neighborhood, people on DL would be screaming about how horrible people are there.

by Anonymousreply 1108/15/2013

This effectively neuters all the boasting of gay New Yorkers on this site.

by Anonymousreply 1208/15/2013

[quote]This effectively neuters all the boasting of gay New Yorkers on this site.

Boy! and HOW!

Those New Yorkers better shut the fuck up from now on or some of us will have several livewire links to confront them with.

by Anonymousreply 1308/15/2013

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of

There's nothing you can't do

Now you're in New York

These street will make you feel brand new

Big lights will inspire you

by Anonymousreply 1508/15/2013

If R15 was attempting to satirize 'flyovers', he did an amazingly poor job. New York can't claim to be the 'best' and most 'enlightened' when it continues to allow gay men to be hurt this way.

by Anonymousreply 1608/15/2013

Bunch of cowards. I swear if I see them one of them will be put in a coma. I wish death on people who attack our community. Attacked in chelsea???? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1708/15/2013

Own it, New York. You still have a lot of work to do, as does every other city.

by Anonymousreply 1808/15/2013

[quote]With over 25 incidents of violent homophobic crime this year alone, one of which was cold-blooded murder, I tend to disagree. I've lived here my whole adult life and this is the worst I've seen it.

Meanwhile, here in Houston, the fourth-largest city in America and presided over by a lesbian mayor, we haven't had a single gay-bashing crime in recent memory, even though our Montrose gayborhood is one of the largest in the country. Now: what was that you New Yorker harpies were braying again about how much Texas sucks and is filled with evil homophobes?

by Anonymousreply 2108/15/2013

R12, getting caught with a concealed handgun in NYC is no joke--it's a potential life ruiner, in fact. Buying and carrying guns is simply not an option in NYC. The problems have to be addressed another way.

Also, Chelsea's more straight than gay at this point, especially further west where the attack took place. There's a lot of straight nightlife in that direction, so they weren't necessarily there just to bash. Potential bashers can find visibly gay people anywhere to jump, including the Bronx and Queen.

by Anonymousreply 2208/15/2013

[R28]: You think that was west and Chelsea is more straight than gay? I don't think you know Chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 2308/15/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2408/15/2013

Why isn't this being reported for what it is, a hate crime committed by black and Dominican thugs?

I live here, I know who the people are who're killing and attacking people in the gay community. If these were crime perpetrated by any other group, the media would identify them. Instead, it's taboo to mention that the levels of hate and homophobia in large pockets of the African American and Dominican communities of New York City which is now so potent, it's beginning to translate into both murders and violent attacks.

by Anonymousreply 2508/15/2013

Many Dominican's are just plain nasty.

by Anonymousreply 2608/15/2013

New York is a nasty homophobe filled concrete jungle.

by Anonymousreply 2708/15/2013

[quote]Why isn't this being reported for what it is, a hate crime committed by black and Dominican thugs?

What was the POS who killed the black guy in the Village a couple months ago? I can't remember.

This is truly getting out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 2808/15/2013

But I thought the NYC Dlers love the Dominican men and their huge uncut pingas. Now they are thugs? Make up your mind.

by Anonymousreply 2908/15/2013

"getting caught with a concealed handgun in NYC is no joke--"

So wear it in an open holster.

by Anonymousreply 3008/15/2013

R25.

Let's fuck!

by Anonymousreply 3108/15/2013

R26, other cities have less foot traffic where creeps can run across victims like here in NY.

Not that it excuses anything, but with so few people in cars, at least relatively, there's more chance for volatility with people on foot.

by Anonymousreply 3208/15/2013

It's true, it's the black and Dominican thugs who are doing these crimes. The media will not say it for fear of being un-pc.

by Anonymousreply 3308/15/2013

Where do you live R7? I live on w24th as well. We're neighbors.

I can't believe it happened on this block, so close to home. Although with the projects right around the corner on 25th, this block has always seemed like a buffer.

I just get the feeling that attacking gays has now become part of some kind of initiation for these young kids. And if you're going to attack gays, you are either going to go to Chelsea or the village. Gays are easy targets. My boyfriend and I rarely walk hand in hand, but this could have very easily been us just walking back home from somewhere.

This is some video footage I got early this AM, on my way to the gym - Christine Quinn walking and talking with the couple. I don't recognize them, but I assume they live in London Terrace with about a million other people.

by Anonymousreply 3408/15/2013

There are plenty of projects near Chelsea and they are filled with homophobic thugs.

by Anonymousreply 3708/16/2013

[quote]Although with the projects right around the corner on 25th...

So this area is supposed to be so "safe" yet it took 41 posts for someone to mention this?!

by Anonymousreply 3808/16/2013

R41, 410.

R45, and projects down at 19th Street too. Gay men wouldn't walk across 9th to 10th in the high teens until the mid-90's or later.

R42, London Terrace's nick name is the Fashion Projects. The area is very, very gay.

by Anonymousreply 3908/16/2013

Where can you buy pepper spray? Years ago I used to carry it on me at all times. I bought it at a check cashing place maybe 10 years ago. I don't see it sold anywhere anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4008/16/2013

R45, there's housing projects in almost every neighborhood of NYC, even expensive ones (there's some right behind Lincoln Center actually). New York has safe blocks and unsafe blocks. Just the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 4108/16/2013

Why do some gay men hate it when other groups stereotype them yet they love to stereotype other groups? The racists idiots on here are probably going to be on craigslist later tonight looking for big cock and dominant tops. If they can't get it, they'll pay for it.

It's also telling how negative some of you are. Like an earlier posters stated: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

The homophobes are losing but they are throwing a major tantrum on the way out. Defend yourself in whatever way you think is best and hold on, cause the ride to equal rights is bumpy and we're on it at high speed.

by Anonymousreply 4208/16/2013

most of you bitches need to be face-slapped

by Anonymousreply 4308/16/2013

Oops, meant to say Chelsea is not entirely gay. Obviously Chelsea is not that straight.

by Anonymousreply 4508/16/2013

"Other cities have less foot traffic where creeps can run across victims like here in NY. Not that it excuses anything, but with so few people in cars, at least relatively, there's more chance for volatility with people on foot."

Good point, R39.

by Anonymousreply 4908/16/2013

We can thank the hateful religious community for this.

by Anonymousreply 5208/16/2013

OMG, I was just in Chelsea last year. It could have been me.

by Anonymousreply 5408/17/2013

terrible story

Chelsea is not really all that gay anymore--not the Chelsea from the 90's and 9th & 24th is right by the projects

by Anonymousreply 5508/17/2013

And not a peep out of Bloomberg because A) he's not running for re-election and B) he's too busy stalking 7-11s trying to ban Big Gulps.

by Anonymousreply 5608/17/2013

[quote]New York can't claim to be the 'best' and most 'enlightened' when it continues to allow gay men to be hurt this way

Actually, it probably can. And, I don't live there.

by Anonymousreply 5708/17/2013

Frank Bruni of the NY Times said that he is deathly afraid of holding hands with his partner on the streets of Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 5808/17/2013

Good idea, R68! So, New Yorkers, the next time you are chowing down on uncut Dominican pinga,which ( if DL is to be believed) most of you do daily, bite it...hard. That'll be a start.

by Anonymousreply 5908/17/2013

"It's true, it's the black and Dominican thugs who are doing these crimes."

No. They were all chased out of Manhattan to make room for the wealthy white elite.

How's that working out for you?

by Anonymousreply 6008/17/2013

R62, et al., based on your comments I suspect that you feel very helpless in your life. You also don't make a coherent argument, let alone a practical one. And what the hell does "retaliations" mean in R68? Going to Dominican neighborhoods and shooting the place up? Get some help. The world will be a lot less scary and you'll be a lot less rageful if you become more actualized.

by Anonymousreply 6108/17/2013

Prove both assertions, R66.

by Anonymousreply 6208/17/2013

r49, the problem is that many stereotypes, as Keenan Ivory Wayans said, contain an element of truth.

The problem to me is not that people are being called out for being ratchet, it's that every single black person in a racist's mind is at that level. The immediate expectation of AAs is ghetto related.

I personally think it's more of a cultural issue than a strictly racial one, but I see the poster's point.

by Anonymousreply 6308/17/2013

Bring back the Pink Panthers from the '80s. Seriously, they worked in L.A. after a rash of gay bashing assholes -- a big group of gay men and,I assume, women who patrolled the danger areas. I loved the idea of High Profile Fighting Back. And it did seem to work too.

by Anonymousreply 6408/17/2013

Are the projects in Chelsea primarily for gay blacks? If so, why is there an issue?

by Anonymousreply 6508/17/2013

Yes, the New York City Housing Authority asks applicants if they are gay and assigns them to public housing in gay neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 6608/17/2013

r71 so the 640,000 people living in housing projects in Manhattan are wealthy white people?

by Anonymousreply 6708/17/2013

To the poster advocating carrying, don't you think that would be a dangerous escalation?

Also, one man with a gun is not necessarily going to manage to take out several assailants if he gets swarmed.

I also don't see e-ffeminates packing. Sorry to be a cunt, but come on...

I understand that NYC's concealed carry laws are very, very strict. Would they even give gay men a permit over less than a dozen instances of gay bashing? (I'm not implying they shouldn't--just wondering.)

by Anonymousreply 6808/17/2013

Gus Rosendale (the reporter) is kind of hottish. Who's his bf?

by Anonymousreply 6908/17/2013

R49, I like how you think. I didn't stop and think about the 'first they ignore you' thing the first time I read it, but the way you put it made it resonate.

R43, I hope you die soon.

I realize wanting to kill or maim gay-bashers isn't the same as doing actual violence, but I don't like being filled with this level of hatred. It's difficult not to, however, because for me, anyway, there's an accumulation of fury and loathing with every incident, even though the violent attacks are perpetrated by individuals.

Russia is in there, too, making me an angrier person than I prefer to be.

R49's outlook actually does help, so thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7008/17/2013

[quote]Bring back the Pink Panthers from the '80s. Seriously, they worked in L.A. after a rash of gay bashing assholes -- a big group of gay men and,I assume, women who patrolled the danger areas. I loved the idea of High Profile Fighting Back. And it did seem to work too.

We were pretty much sued out of existence by MGM for trademark infringement (the Pink Panther is their property), despite our actually taking inspirations from the black panthers, not a cartoon character. Nice to be remembered, though.

by Anonymousreply 7109/09/2013

But, I thought gays were assimilating in straight culture?

by Anonymousreply 7209/09/2013

Isn't 'pink panthers' a rather twee moniker?

by Anonymousreply 7309/09/2013

[quote]Isn't 'pink panthers' a rather twee moniker?

"Panthers" had been used by other communities, and was based on that. Though I don't expect someone who sniffs about a "twee moniker" to imagine that anyone might be referencing something other than garbage culture.

by Anonymousreply 7409/09/2013

You were appreciated, R82. Wish folks were that active now.

by Anonymousreply 7509/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.