Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who thought it was a good idea to give Sean Hayes a show?

It'll be cancelled after three episodes.

by Anonymousreply 4608/21/2013

"I like the concept of the show because it is about a dad that is gay not a gay relationship story."

Yes because if there's one thing that network TV does well, it's to present gays as either A) Horny sluts, or B) Sexual neuters. Hayes' previous sitcom did both!

by Anonymousreply 508/14/2013

I'd love to support Sean but this show does look awful. I'm trying to guess which will get pulled first: this one, the Michael J. Fox one or the Mike O'Malley "Modern Family" ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 908/14/2013

[quote]This, of course, pisses off Dataloungers who would rather die than find an out gay person funny or likeable or ever find a reason to be happy in life.

You're so right R8. All Dataloungers think alike and we ALL hate any out person. Thanks ever so much for you astute observations.

by Anonymousreply 1008/14/2013

I like Sean but the guy cannot catch a break. He was quasi-closeted during W&G and the gay press gave him a hard time. He finally came out and the media targeted him when he was on Broadway playing straight. His returns to TV (SMASH) were not well received. He's talented but he needs to find the right vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 1208/15/2013

I love how NBC's PR department is posting on here now. This show has cancellation written all over it. Hayes could never carry a show. It looks god-awful, and about "Will and Grace," that show won't even be remembered by the time the decade's through. No one even thinks about it now. Where's the cast now? No one cares.

This is all Robert Greenblatt's fault. He cannot run a network.

Sean Hayes will never be heard from again in a couple of months. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 1308/15/2013

R13 meant to sign of as Animosity, not Anonymous.

by Anonymousreply 1408/15/2013

Sorry R9, My Money's On The Dreadful Robin Williams Comedy.

by Anonymousreply 1508/15/2013

In what way did W&G portray Jack as a sexual neuter?

by Anonymousreply 1608/15/2013

[quote]and about "Will and Grace," that show won't even be remembered by the time the decade's through.

That doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's totally forgotten tomorrow. What DOES matter is that for six year it brought all types of gay men into living rooms all across America. It got Americans used to seeing gay characters as part of everyday life.

Did you ever look at the list of actors who played gay characters beyond Eric McCormack and Sean Hayes?

The list includes: Dan Futterman, Taye Diggs, Patrick Dempsey, Branden Williams, Chris Potter, Dave Foley, Brian A. Setzer, Jon Fleming, John Ducey, Mark Harelik, Sam Pancake, Roscoe Lee Browne, Michael Douglas, Clark Gregg, Neil Patrick Harris, Peter Jacobson, Hal Linden, Dylan McDermott, Peter Paige, Luke Perry, Brandon Routh, Larry Sullivan, Leslie Jordan, Jerry Levine, Tim Bagley, Bobby Cannavale...

There can be no doubt that this helped open the minds of many people who, years later, ended up supporting marriage equality. They realized there were gay people beyond Paul Lynde and Rip Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 1708/16/2013

Hayes was surprisingly wonderful (and convincing) in Promises, Promises. I would love to see him do some more stage work.

Unfortunately this new sitcom looks awful and unfunny. I will still watch it support him, as well as Linda Lavin and Megan Hilty, who will be playing the supporting roles.

by Anonymousreply 1808/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 1908/16/2013

I like Sean and think he's incredibly talented.

by Anonymousreply 2008/16/2013

The majority of new network shows get cancelled so predicting one won't work is like predicting you'll take a shit today...and just as common.

From everything I can tell, Sean is a good guy and one of us so I'm rooting for him.

by Anonymousreply 2108/16/2013

Sorry, but I've gotta agree with R13. This show will be lucky if it lasts a full season. Sean is funny, but he's not exactly the sort of actor who can carry a show by himself. The NBC commercials are mentioning Sean Hayes and Michael J. Fox in the same sentence, trying to make Sean out to be some sort of beloved American TV icon. Sean may have had a good run on Will and Grace, but I don't think most of America has exactly been clamoring for his return to network television.

by Anonymousreply 2208/17/2013

I will not be watching this show because I am not comfortable with Linda Lavin being in another sitcom. I still have PTSD from "Alice" all those years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2308/17/2013

Tell Sean Hayes to talk to John Goodman. Haven't seen Hayes's show, but I thought Goodman's "Normal, Ohio" was very good. Had a great cast, good scripts, parts of it were hysterical, and others very touching.Lasted just a year, unfortunately. I won't deny the bitchiness factor, they must've had a ball making it.

by Anonymousreply 2408/17/2013

r13, don't blame Greenblatt entirely. That is a massive clusterfuck of epic proportions and cannot reasonably be blamed on one person.

Honestly, any reasonably sassy gay could've played that role.

by Anonymousreply 2508/17/2013

r25, Greenblatt is responsible. He's run that network into the ground. He's dumb as shit. He's gay. No wonder he gave Hayes a show.

by Anonymousreply 2608/17/2013

If Jack and Karen didn't carry Will and Grace, that show would have never made it past three episodes.

by Anonymousreply 2708/17/2013

Well, if the new show doesn't work out, Sean can always dance and sing about butter substitutes.

by Anonymousreply 2808/17/2013

R26, you have no idea what you're talking about. None. NBC was #1 in the ratings last fall. It overtook ABC in the ratings for the whole season. And it tied with CBS with the highest increases in advertiser rates for the upcoming new season.

by Anonymousreply 2908/17/2013

[quote]Who thought it was a good idea to give Sean Hayes a show?

Hmmm I'll go out on a limb and say Sean Hayes. He's a big time successful producer now, and not just in name only. He currently has three shows on the air, "Hot In Cleveland", "The Soul Man" & "Grimm".

by Anonymousreply 3008/17/2013

Will and Grace was on for eight seasons, not six.

by Anonymousreply 3108/17/2013

Ridiculous thread. Sean Hayes is a popular actor and every network would have paid to put him as the lead on a show.

Why is this question ridiculous? Because Sean if you watch the ads for the nightly lineup of new comedies, they're wrapping it around Sean's star power. Which is surprising because Michael J. Fox has a show the same night.

They could be using Fox to advertise their new comedies. And they're using Sean Hayes instead. Surprised the fuck out of me, but clearly test audiences were hotter on Sean than Michael J. Fox (and to clarify, this isn't the shows testing, just the actor's popularity to SELL the shows)

by Anonymousreply 3208/17/2013

I hope this show will be a huge success. Sean Hayes is a good actor. Let's hope there are good writers for the show.

by Anonymousreply 3308/19/2013

Eric McCormack has had two different new series on different cable channels that have gone nowhere and disappear after a few viewings.

I wonder why that is and why they seem to think that Sean can pull off a successful series?

by Anonymousreply 3408/19/2013

Sean is much more entertaining to watch than McCormack.

by Anonymousreply 3508/19/2013

[quote]I will not be watching this show because I am not comfortable with Linda Lavin being in another sitcom.

Then you'll like this! Just watch the credits -- we've got a great gag with Linda and a box of "exploding straws," the girl that plays Sean's daughter will pour boiling hot water out of a teakettle over her dad's feet, and Sean will sing a different version of the theme song every year.

by Anonymousreply 3608/19/2013

I'm with OP on this one. It just looks awful. I guess what I'm envisioning is that it will try to be both "family friendly" while capitalizing on Jack's "outrageousness", and will come across as both lame and kind of pathetic.

It's great what Sean was able to do with the Jack role, on a series that I firmly believe played an important role in the advancement of lgbt rights and the changing of the American mind.

But this vehicle seems all wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3708/19/2013

R1 Hayes did not initially want to come out, but figured he should beat the tabloids at their own game. He's no role model to love, not really.

by Anonymousreply 3808/19/2013

Didn't know that r38. Was Sean Hayes actually delusional enough to think he could pass as straight?

by Anonymousreply 3908/20/2013

R29 = NBC Corporate Shill

by Anonymousreply 4008/20/2013

Smash was a giant shit one got good press from that. NBC is taking more risks being lowly rated. Sean is not really someone who can carry a show as lead but we shall see. The lack of gay shows on the big three might be enought to bring an audience but look at the New Normal...

by Anonymousreply 4108/20/2013

[quote]He currently has three shows on the air, "Hot In Cleveland", "The Soul Man" & "Grimm".

Plus "Hollywood Game Night."

by Anonymousreply 4208/20/2013

Don't skew the fact R29. NBC was highest rated in the fall, but that was mainly due to Sunday Night Football and their surprise hit Revolution (which they ultimately sabotaged over the course of the year).

By the spring NBC was finishing in fifth place behind UNIVISION. The first time a major network has done so, well EVER.

NBC is in serious trouble. The basically obliterated their entire schedule. The Office and 30 Rock finished their runs, The New Normal, Go On, Animal Practice and Men With Kids all bombed and were yanked from the schedule.

Smash was a disaster and a half of bad publicity for the network, and their midseason replacement Do No Harm was pulled after airing TWO episodes. (It's being burnt off on Saturday nights this summer.)

Ready For Love, the Eva Longoria produced reality show, was put on to replace Smash, and in turn that was so poorly rated that they pulled it from the schedule and ended up airing the remaining episodes online only!

Hannibal was supposed to be a saving grace in the spring, and despite getting some nice reviews from critics it faltered in the ratings and the finale played to resounding thud.

Even the renewed "hits" like Community, Parks & Rec and Parenthood have much lower ratings than the hits on other networks.

NBC needs to revamp its image and put some quality shows back on the air. Crap like Blacklist and Ironside are not going to cut it. As much as I want to wish Sean Hayes well, I fear his sitcom will be heading for the trash heap with New Normal and Go On.

by Anonymousreply 4308/20/2013

I don't know how I forgot to mention 1600 Penn, that especially painful 30 min "comedy" bomb that filled the airwaves for a thankfully brief period.

by Anonymousreply 4408/20/2013

NBC needs to start over.

by Anonymousreply 4508/21/2013

[quote]In what way did W&G portray Jack as a sexual neuter?

R5 gave two alternatives in his analysis. Jack obviously falls into the “horny slut” category. Will was the sexual neuter - staying home, striking out, lacking confidence, doing a lot of sexless dating, and even entertaining the idea of a platonic parenting relationship with a woman (the show’s lowest point, IMO).

Then the hotness that is Bobby Cannavale changed all of that.

by Anonymousreply 4608/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!