Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING: Cory Booker has won the New Jersey Senate Democratic primary

to fill the remainder of the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg's term

by Anonymousreply 3410/19/2013

and he's not gay and neither are Oprah and I!!

by Anonymousreply 108/13/2013

I think he's got a great career ahead of him. Go Cory! And if he's one of us, there's room in the Jacuzzi.

by Anonymousreply 208/13/2013

He's a great candidate.

by Anonymousreply 308/13/2013

Cory A. Booker, the mayor of Newark, who rose to prominence with his efforts to remake a notoriously troubled city and then used that perch to build a national reputation as a charismatic and media-savvy star in the Democratic Party, was on pace to capture the Democratic nomination for Senate on Tuesday night.

With the vote still being counted, The Associated Press projected a win by Mr. Booker, who had a wide lead over his nearest challenger, Representative Frank Pallone. They were trailed by Representative Rush D. Holt and the State Assembly speaker, Shelia Y. Oliver. Mr. Booker planned to give a victory speech to supporters at Champion Plaza in Newark within the hour.

A victory, after an abbreviated and contentious contest with some of the state’s best-known Democrats, would make Mr. Booker a heavy favorite to win the October general election in an overwhelmingly Democratic state that has not sent a Republican to the Senate in four decades. That would make him the country’s only elected black senator.

In the special general election in October, Mr. Booker will face Steven M. Lonegan, a former mayor of Bogota, N.J. and gubernatorial candidate, who easily won the Republican primary on Tuesday, the A. P. projected.

by Anonymousreply 408/13/2013

I voted for Rush Holt who is a consistent liberal. Cory's number one priority seems to be Cory and he has avoided taking a clear stand on some issues. I knew Booker would win big, but I voted for Holt to send a message that there is a healthy left wing in the party.

by Anonymousreply 508/13/2013

Current results:

Booker - 60.0 %

Pallone -t 22.1t %

Holt - 13.5%t

Oliver - 4.5%

by Anonymousreply 608/13/2013

I proudly voted for Corey Booker!

by Anonymousreply 708/13/2013

I hope it wasn't a write-in ballot, R7.

by Anonymousreply 808/13/2013

Wasn't there some concern earlier this year that Christie would hold the Senate election at a time that would prevent Booker from running?

by Anonymousreply 908/13/2013

I was on my way through NJ and stopped to vote for Steven Lonegan.

by Anonymousreply 1008/13/2013

No, R9.

Christie decided to hold a separate election for the Senate seat instead of adding it on to the already scheduled November election because he was afraid that the turnout for Booker would reduce the size of Christie's re-election victory. Cost: $24 million in public money.

by Anonymousreply 1108/13/2013

Cory took a very clear and positive stand on gay marriage 2 years ago r5.

Go Cory!

by Anonymousreply 1208/13/2013

Are people in the state angry with Christie for spending the extra money?

by Anonymousreply 1308/13/2013

R13, yes a number of us are. You see it all over the comments section of any article on Governor FatOne.

R12, I'm not sure what your comment had to do with R5's post when you consider that all four candidates are very vocal gay marriage supporters. And BTW, Frank Pallone was one of the early cosigners of gay rights legislation back in the 1980s and has attended the state's gay rights march/rallies in Asbury Park for many years.

R5, do you live in the city or deal with city government. (My department deals with the city and I work with a number of city residents, and oh the stories of administrative ineptitude I can tell.)

Naturally I'll vote for Cory come the October election since I've never voted for a Republican in my life, and I'm sure not going to do so now - especially given that Lonegan is a kook through to his rotten core.

But understand this, you DLers who know of Mayor Cheese (as some of the locals call Cory) only through his tweets . . . he was the [italic]least[/italic] progressive of the four Democratic candidates running.

I was never convinced Booker was gay, btw.

But I can't say the same about the guy who will probably be his successor.

by Anonymousreply 1408/13/2013

He's exactly the right person for preserving Christie's career, being a corrupt stupid sellout financed by Bain Capital. New Jersey couldn't manage to find a fucking PROGRESSIVE in the entire state? Corey Booker is dirtier than a Kardashian diaper.

by Anonymousreply 1508/13/2013

R15 is right. Wall Street and the corrupt 1% have him in their back pocket.

by Anonymousreply 1608/13/2013

I'm stunned that anyone could think Booker is straight. I'm surprised he didn't do his victory speech in drag.

by Anonymousreply 1708/13/2013

Tell me something credible about him and maybe I'll believe you R17. No one's come up with anything so far other than of-course-he's-gay. So spill it. (No, I really mean it!)

There are more gay rumors about Cory's predecessor, the married Sharpe (like the Branch Brook Park story for example), than there are about him.

by Anonymousreply 1808/13/2013

I fell in love with Rush Holt during his Colbert interview. He obviously has Aspergers so for him to choose politics means he really wants to make a difference. His liberal cred is impeccable. I don't think he could be bought like mr booker. And that brain! Damn, if only a few hundred brains will make all the choices for a few hundred million of us, I want his to be one of them. Tell me he can go back to Congress.

by Anonymousreply 1908/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 2008/14/2013

Is Cory Booker's girlfriend a flight attendant who lives in Canada?

by Anonymousreply 2108/14/2013

Either Pallone or Holt would have been a much better choice.

by Anonymousreply 2208/14/2013

Cory has more persona, his aura resonates with people. I do agree that he isn't the best, yet he is the most electable.

by Anonymousreply 2308/14/2013

Great … another Democratic Wall Street suck-up in the U.S. Senate. And from a blue state!

by Anonymousreply 2408/14/2013

[quote]I do agree that he isn't the best, yet he is the most electable.

We always end up voting for the person who isn't the worst. When will we ever get a chance to choose between outstanding candidates?

by Anonymousreply 2508/14/2013

R7 writes,

[quote]I proudly voted for Corey Booker!

And why hasn't it dawned on you to support your pride with spelling Mr. Booker's first name correctly?

by Anonymousreply 2608/14/2013

I love, love, Rush Holt. What are his plans after this election? It's so sad that he probably lacks the social skills to make a big run because he certainly has the most caring and logical mind in politics.

by Anonymousreply 2708/14/2013

Holt is staying in the House.

by Anonymousreply 2808/14/2013

Sharpe James, former long time mayor, gay.

Cory Booker, gay.

Closet cases both.

by Anonymousreply 2908/14/2013

Booker was chosen for the Democrats by the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 3008/14/2013

I went out with Cory when we were at Stanford. Is that proof enough, r18?

by Anonymousreply 3108/15/2013

He is a Wall Street stooge, nothing more than a neoliberal wolf in sheep's clothing. Can't stand him.

by Anonymousreply 3208/15/2013

How could someone as fine as Cory Booker remain single into his 40s? There is only one possible explanation.

by Anonymousreply 3310/19/2013

It delights me that the success of Cory Booker must drive Republicans insane.

by Anonymousreply 3410/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!