Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why I Won't Wear A Rainbow Ribbon To Support Russia's Queer Community In Sochi – By Deidre Hall

I believe that sporting events are not a forum for expressing personal religious, social or political views. However, I have not objected when fellow performers have worn rainbow ribbon to express their support for Russia’s queer community; that’s their choice. My choice is NOT to wear a ribbon.

Soap Opera Digest readers should know wearing a rainbow ribbon is no longer entirely voluntary. Those who began by offering ribbons to performers now resort to extreme tactics in pursuit of their express goal of 100 percent conformity. When performers arrive at an event, individuals who attempt to pin ribbons on them accost them. A performer who declines may be accosted at the pre-show reception, again while waiting backstage and again at the press conference after the event.

Offering these ribbons to celebrities was, in my view, a benign and pro-social act. On the other hand, aggressively badgering performers to compel the wearing of ribbons is not only demeaning to Russia’s Queer Community and to the desperate need for an all-out tolerance, but an offense against personal freedom.

By attempting to force 100 percent conformity, these activists are no attempting to make the rainbow ribbon a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with Russia’s Queer Community and support LGBT rights from those who do not. This is a misguided and dangerous notion.

First, it misguidedly politicizes human tragedy. These rainbow ribbons provide a means by which public figures can appear to make a ‘politically correct’ statement in favor of a cause they do not support.

Second, any attempt to force conformity to a single social agenda attacks the freedom of expression. The extreme activities that resort to harassment to compel actors and actresses to wear these ribbons are practicing a ‘90s brand of McCarthyism – and their behavior is deplorable. Our community was devastated by political extremists in the 1950s and again became a target during the last presidential campaign. It surpasses belief that men and women in the entertainment field would resort to shameful practices that the enemies of artistic freedom have used against us.

Sadly, it falls to some of us who ardently support Russia’s Queer Community and LGBT rights to resist these tactics by personal example. Believe me, the easy way out would be to pin the ribbon on and keep silent. But I won’t, because I don’t want these appalling tactics to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2014

Dierdre you raise some interesting points, but what exactly qualifies as accosting and harassment in your book? And why do I feel that you are confusing aggression with zeal and fervor, both of which are appropriate when it comes not only to opposing tyranny and hate, but in calling on others not to remain silent in their face.

by Anonymousreply 108/13/2013

Very circular, spinning...spinning....where does it go?

by Anonymousreply 208/13/2013

Isn't this just a troll post? There's always a new anti-ribbon campaign from 'Deidre Hall' every month.

by Anonymousreply 308/13/2013

I love the crumbs in her caftan line.

I see it showing up in so many threads.

In so many variations.

Like crumbs in her caftan...so are gays of her lies.

by Anonymousreply 508/13/2013

And I assume she continues to plan to participate in the Russian Winter Olympic Games, representing the Breakaway Republic of Salem in the luge.

Because to do otherwise would demean. Plus she has a good shot at the Bronze this time around.

by Anonymousreply 608/13/2013

Dee Hall should die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 708/13/2013

[quote]Some morbidly obese soap queen thinks it's hi-ster-ical to repost this every time there's a campaign.

It just can't begin to compare with the hilarious Helen Lawson posts and the over-the-top funny "You're a whore darlin."

(Don't you just wish you could break their fingers!)

by Anonymousreply 808/13/2013

Are Dee and Jane still bosom buddies?

by Anonymousreply 908/13/2013

Hilarious! Anyone who was around at the time 20 years or more ago when dumbass Deidre took a swipe at those then courageously wearing the red AIDS ribbon, will enjoy this. It was a thoughtless and ungenerous public statement then, playing stupidly into the bigotry and stigma too many of her colleagues, friends and even fans were contending with. Ungracious cow.

Her stand, for what it's worth now,is long forgotten, as frankly Deidre mostly is. But whoever posts a revised version of Deirdre's long ago bullshit always makes me laugh, a nice last laugh remembering it. Right, Miss D for dumb?

by Anonymousreply 1008/13/2013

I like Dee. Remember when she was having a torrid affair with Quinn Redeker?

by Anonymousreply 1108/13/2013

WTF? She acts as if someone tried to pin on on her at knifepoint.

by Anonymousreply 1208/14/2013

R12 she said she felt a victim of assault from those activists wanting to pin her with the ribbon.

by Anonymousreply 1308/14/2013

Deidre never made the comments to begin with. The whole thing is an internet myth.

by Anonymousreply 1408/14/2013

R14 Dee Dee Hall

by Anonymousreply 1508/14/2013

r15, provide receipts. Only then will we believe that this ever happened.

by Anonymousreply 1608/14/2013

[quote] The whole thing is an internet myth.

Are you saying her comments about not wearing a red ribbon are an internet myth?

by Anonymousreply 1708/14/2013

Yes, Miss Yellow. It never happened.

by Anonymousreply 1808/14/2013

R18 it was in Soap Opera Digest.

by Anonymousreply 1908/14/2013

From Newsweek 1993

Deidre Hall, a star of the soap opera "Days of Our Lives," says that at one recent awards ceremony the ribbon-wielding zealots hounded her from preshow reception to postshow press conference. She says that one magazine even threatened to write about her ribbonless ways.

Hall, who has nursed several friends with AIDS, finds the ribbons meaningless--but the ribbon police truly dangerous. "We are getting into that terrifying area where people who don't speak for us demand uniformity. This is unacceptable," she says.

by Anonymousreply 2008/14/2013

Here is the edition of Soap Opera Digest where Dee Dee Hall printed her OP-ED

'Why I Won't Wear A Red Ribbon' by Deidre Hall Article + One Large Candid Photo

So is Soap Opera Digest lying? Did they print an OP-ED and just used Deidre Hall as the author?

by Anonymousreply 2108/14/2013

Receipts have been offered R16

by Anonymousreply 2208/14/2013

sweet jesus, who cares?...this was 20 years ago. let it go.

by Anonymousreply 2308/14/2013

R23 tell that to R16

by Anonymousreply 2408/14/2013

That post doesn't even make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 2508/14/2013

"I find that Dr. Marlena Evans sort of reflects women of her time"

-Dee Dee Hall

by Anonymousreply 2608/14/2013

Where's the article? Let's see it!

by Anonymousreply 2708/14/2013

R27 it is in the OP

by Anonymousreply 2808/14/2013

No, r28, that's a mock article. I want the real one. Where is it?

by Anonymousreply 2908/14/2013

@ R21

by Anonymousreply 3008/14/2013

anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 3108/18/2013

Deidre is such an icon. Getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame finally means something at last. She defines the soap opera genre which is a fundamental element of Americana.

by Anonymousreply 3208/18/2013

What a woman!

by Anonymousreply 3302/11/2014

r32 - MAR(Y)LENA!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2014

Her op ed was spot on. They are meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!