Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oprah Winfrey vs. Meryl Streep At 2014 Oscars? Best Supporting Actress Race Heating Up Already

There are just under 29 weeks between now and the 2014 Academy Awards, but that doesn't mean it's too early to start speculating about next year's biggest races. Case in point: editor Tom O'Neil reports that Meryl Streep will be eligible for Best Supporting Actress at next year's Oscars ceremony for her role in "August: Osage County." That decision puts Streep in direct competition with Oprah Winfrey, who has already earned awards buzz for her showy role in "Lee Daniels' The Butler."

The twist of this shift is that Streep's role in "August: Osage County" is of the leading variety. As O'Neil notes, Streep plays Violet Weston in John Wells' adaptation of Tracy Letts' award-winning play, a part that won Broadway star Deanna Dunagan Best Actress at the Tony Awards.

Not that actors aren't often thrust into the supporting category to avoid vote-splitting between other co-stars. (Streep's co-star is Julia Roberts, who O'Neil writes becomes a front-runner for Best Actress because of the move.) Just last year, Philip Seymour Hoffman was shifted to Best Supporting Actor for "The Master," this despite the fact that his part was of equal standing with Joaquin Phoenix. The decision worked, as both men received Oscar nominations -- Phoenix for Best Actor, Hoffman for Best Supporting Actor. A similar move was made on "Django Unchained," with Christoph Waltz dropping to Best Supporting Actor despite having a leading role. Waltz wound up winning the category at this year's Oscars; his "leading" co-star, Jamie Foxx, was not nominated for Best Actor. (Some trivia: All the films mentioned, including "August: Osage County" and "The Butler," were released by The Weinstein Company.)

Whether Streep and Winfrey wind up receiving Oscar nominations for their respective work is a ways out; nominations for the 2014 Oscars will be announced on Jan. 16.

by Anonymousreply 6009/02/2013

We need a break from Meryl. Besides, she's clearly hamming it up from the trailer.

And if she's the leading actress, then she should be penalized for going into supporting. She's the last person to be an awards hog.

by Anonymousreply 108/13/2013

What will Amy Adams be for American Hustle? She looks fabulous in it and I want her to finally win.

by Anonymousreply 208/13/2013

Meryl will be submitting as Lead Actress.

by Anonymousreply 308/13/2013

If Streep is in lead she won't win because she's hamming it up. Supporting, on the other hand, can get away with that schtick. Just ask Renée Zellweger.

The Tony's have a history of actors basically being placed in the wrong category. It's something to do with billing is it not?

by Anonymousreply 408/13/2013

Who's fingerin' who in that photo?

by Anonymousreply 508/13/2013

Harvey wants both. Meryl is being put in the supporting category and Oprah will lead.

by Anonymousreply 608/13/2013

Watch for O to win the Best Actress Oscar and for this to be touted as her comeback after the disaster that is OWN.

by Anonymousreply 708/13/2013

Oprah will not get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 808/13/2013

I don't believe all the stories about Harvey Weinstein "buying" Oscars. How could he bribe or strongarm all those thousands of voters?

But I believe that Oprah could send each and ever Academy voter a few thousand dollars. And probably would.

by Anonymousreply 908/13/2013

neither will win in either category....Meryl just won a few years ago, and Oprah is ovah...not an actress...Butler will bomb big time!!!

by Anonymousreply 1008/13/2013

Steep will not be submitting as Leading Actress - she's already agreed to drop to supporting. In one sense, she probably figures this is her quickest route to a fourth.

But no one's going to give her another Oscar this soon, not over Oprah or Margo Martindale, so the upside here is simply that Streep gets to continue the charade that she is gracious, by "handing over" the Best Actress prize to Julia Roberts from her movie. She knows the reality is that the fight will be between Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench, and she never stood a chance anyway. (And Roberts certainly doesn't.)

This way, when she loses supporting, everyone will say "But of course Oprah had to win!" or "But of course it went to the popular but lesser-know Margo Martindale - everyone loves her!"

by Anonymousreply 1108/14/2013

Oprah will not be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 1208/14/2013

Anyone that's seen Blue Jasmine already knows the Oscar goes to Cate Blanchett. Stunning work in that film, beautiful performance. She'll get it because:

1) She deserves it. 2) She doesn't make films her priority over theater and so she doesn't make that many films and so the Academy will want to pay tribute to her general work in films these past years. 3) They will want to make it up to her for handing her a Supporting Oscar for that silly Kate Hepburn impersonation. She was slumming when she did that film. Should have gotten Best Actress for Elizabeth the year or so before.

by Anonymousreply 1308/18/2013

Kristin Scott Thomas is amazing in Only God Forgives.. divisive film though and she'll likely be this year's Albert Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 1408/18/2013

Here's to hoping Amy gets her 20th nom and they finally take pity on her and just give it to her over Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 1608/18/2013

What about Naomi Watts as Diana? This role seems right up her alley and now she has the real life biopic angle to get in. Then there's Kidman as Grace Kelly.

Maybe Cate is bulletproof now, I dunno. But I'd love Naomi to do well.

by Anonymousreply 1708/18/2013

They're not going to give an acting Oscar to Oprah. There's no buzz about the performance.

by Anonymousreply 1808/18/2013

If Oprah is nominated for Best Actress-hell even supporting-I expect a DL meltdown!

by Anonymousreply 1908/18/2013

That Diana movie looks like complete trash. Naomi is getting nothing.

by Anonymousreply 2008/18/2013

Meryl Streep is never going to win another Oscar. I'll bet they stop nominating her too. Enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 2108/18/2013

Now that thy butler was #1 at d box office, Oprah is sure of a nomination

by Anonymousreply 2208/18/2013

Plus, AOC is going to end up being an awards season casualty. Nobody gives a shit about a movie starring Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep. We already saw them together in Stepmom.

by Anonymousreply 2308/18/2013

[quote]Nobody gives a shit about a movie starring Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep. We already saw them together in Stepmom.

That's news to me!!

by Anonymousreply 2408/18/2013

[quote]Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep. We already saw them together in Stepmom.

Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 2508/18/2013

"Therese" opens soon

Oh yes it does

It's as though my supporting role was, oh I don't know, written for me or something

Well, I'm off to knock back a bourbon with Kathy Bates. We are both here in New Orleans doing 'AHS' and trying to dodge that Sarah Paulson. My film opens when AHS goes back to Southern California for shooting, They'll work around my p.r. schedule for "Therese" because, let's face it, I am AHS at this point- bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2608/18/2013

You already have two Jessica. And hasn't that movie been "coming out" for two years now?

by Anonymousreply 2708/18/2013

Can you imagine the screeching huffery and lunatic accusations that would accompany an O loss?

By the time she would be finished, she'd be claiming herself the victim of a lynching and declaring herself the female Emmett Till. (God rest his soul.)

But, really, she's merely pleasantly adequate in the film. Why can't this be the year Viola Davis gets a nod for "The Prisoners" and provides a worthy and neutralizing alternative to the egO?

by Anonymousreply 2808/18/2013

Cate Blanchett for Best Actress and Sally Hawkins for supporting. Woody Allen for Best Original Screenplay. Blue Jasmine will be considerably rewarded.

by Anonymousreply 2908/18/2013

Enough with Oprah. She had her moment in the spotlight.

Like the Kartrashians, PLEASE GO AWAY! We're sick of you and your preening.

by Anonymousreply 3008/18/2013

Oprah Hogfrey can eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 3108/18/2013

I'm not sure which would cause a more epic O meltdown, her getting nominated and not winning or her not being nominated at all.

Either way, I would not want to be a member of her staff come Awards Season.

by Anonymousreply 3208/18/2013

Is Cate 'Blond-chette' really that good in 'Jasmine'?

by Anonymousreply 3308/18/2013

I wonder how Oprah felt when she got her lifetime achievement award for her humanitarian work.

Remember: M was the presenter and Oprah didn't even get to make a speech. She just had to sit in the box seats and be acknowledged by her peers with applause.

by Anonymousreply 3408/18/2013

If she's nominated and doesn't win, she'll scream, THAT'S RACIST!

by Anonymousreply 3508/18/2013

Orca is beyond transparent in her pathetic and laughable desire to be an actress. How long has she tried to conquer the film industry?

Every attempt is the same: fat, beleaguered, black woman suffering through racial strife. That's it. Her shtick ends there. She's got nothing else. Schwarzenegger has more range. To reward this tired, clownish routine would be an abomination and publicly confirm that the Oscars are an ass-kissing joke.

Knowing her bloated and insufferable ego, she's already probably inspired to expand her range into romantic comedies and other laughable pursuits. Her narcissism knows no bonds.

Apparently, Terrence Howard plays Orca's illicit paramour in this nonsensical exercise in vanity. He has to pretend he voluntarily wants to fuck Orca.

He deserves a fucking Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3608/18/2013

[quote] At least Oprah keeps it classy.

Yes, she's a real class act.

by Anonymousreply 3808/18/2013

Can we please make this thread about the work, and not about the politics and name calling? Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 4008/18/2013

R21 Meryl is the frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 4108/18/2013

R37, this isn't a race issue. Don't be an asshole. If you recall the horror of Halle Berry's acceptance speech, you'll be reminded that absurd, smug and phony female behavior on stage is not limited to one group or another.

The point is that O is an inauthentic, dishonest, overblown monster whose infamous insecurities long ago turned her into the Termite Queen of ever-so-carefully camouflaged grasping narcissism.

That fact has nothing to do with how a minority of white winners in the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress categories (Jennifer Lawrence, Natalie Portman and Reese Witherspoon in the former, and Hathaway, Melissa Leo and Zellwegger in the latter) have been ultracreeps over the last decade. (And four were underserving winners, in my view.)

If you bothered to actually learn anything about the Oscars and went over the list, you'd see that relatively few recent winners among actresses were undeserving over the last decade. And as far as nasty acceptances go, Mo'Nique, Jennifer Hudson and even Octavia Spencer all acted like they had achieved something unprecedented when they took their awards and portrayed "Lady Liberty Breaking the Chains of Injustice at Last." At least when the cunty whites win, they're not taking on the mantle of a victory for all African Americans, over and over again.

Quit being a racist. And join all sensible people in wanting to avoid the apotheosis of O. She will be like a crowing Godzilla if she wins. Classy? The hauteur of bloated dignity is as un-classy as a person can be.

And I'm biracial so don't try the games with me. And fix your English, toots.

by Anonymousreply 4208/18/2013

Like Hogfrey, R39 sees racism around every corner.

by Anonymousreply 4308/18/2013

I doubt Meryl Streep will win. Not even sure she will get a nomination. It has nothing to do with her performance, which I haven't seen yet. It's about sharing the riches. And rightly so. We've seen her. She won her third Oscar two years ago. How about someone else?

Oprah seems a shoe-in for a nomination. We'll see who are the four others and what is the momentum for the five ladies around January.

by Anonymousreply 4408/18/2013

I predict that there will be race riots if Oprah loses to a white woman.

by Anonymousreply 4508/18/2013

Don't be so sure about that.

by Anonymousreply 4608/18/2013

"It is time."

by Anonymousreply 4708/18/2013

Amy Adams could have legitimately won for either Junebug, The a Fighter or The Master. She was great in Doubt but her role was so small.

I haven't seen American Hustle but if she's good in it I hope she actually wins if nominated.

by Anonymousreply 4808/18/2013

I could see Streep being edged out of supporting nom. There will be a lot of competition in that category as well as leading actress this year.

In other news, expect Tom Hanks to join the list of those nominated in two categories in the same year - supporting for Saving Mr. Banks, and leading for Captain Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 4908/18/2013

Halle Berry had a right to be whatever she wanted to be on that stage that night, considering she was the first black woman to win the award. Stop being obtuse.

Neither Octavia, Monique, Halle, Jennifer or Oprah have made an ass out of themselves over the award. Compared to the utterly disgusting behavior of Kate Winslet, Natalie "let's exploit my pregnancy" Portman or the pathetic Melissa Leo to name a few. None of the black women have gone to such pitiful lengths as their white counterparts have. Even though there have been few black winners, they have all retained their dignity. No trying to hump Kirk Douglas from them.

And I'm white, so cut the racist shit, you piece of fecal matter.

by Anonymousreply 5008/19/2013

Oprah will be nominated but her chance of winning is slim to none. She'll have to be content with sharing the SAG Award with her colleagues when they win Best Cast of a Motion Picture.

by Anonymousreply 5108/19/2013

I predict: someone other than Oprah or M, don't know who but I can't see them winning.

by Anonymousreply 5208/19/2013

I haven't read the comments in this thread, but I saw The Butler over the weekend and it's laughable that people are seriously considering Oprah as a Best Supporting Actress nominee. I'm not saying that it won't happen -- she's Oprah, after all -- but it's a mediocre-to-dreadful performance that doesn't deserve Oscar consideration.

by Anonymousreply 5308/19/2013

Oh for crying out loud - r50, you're as big a douche as r42 is. Who the fuck CARES what people SU at the Oscars? For most winners, it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and if they lose control of their emotions and blather, how does that impact your life?

It's THEIR night, not yours, and however they respond is fine - including Halle, Winslet, and - well, preggars Portmanteau was annoying, especially since she didn't deserve it, but yes, even her.

by Anonymousreply 5408/19/2013

Also saw Blue Jasmine over the weekend, and if Cate Blanchett doesn't win Best Actress, there's no justice. Abso-fucking-lutely astonishing performance.

I've liked Cate in the past, but here she blew me away. I don't think I've seen a performance this phenomenally good in years. Just wow.

by Anonymousreply 5508/19/2013

r54, not that I agree with r50, but I don't think he was referring to their acceptance speeches, but, rather, to how they aggressively campaigned to win the Oscar in the months and weeks leading up to the ceremony.

(Personally, I thought the most offensively aggressive campaigning was AnnE last year -- she made Winslet and Portman look like amateurs.)

by Anonymousreply 5608/19/2013

Oscar Race for Best Actress Already Overcrowded:

by Anonymousreply 5709/01/2013

Oprah will win. Her portrayal of the Butler's wife was incredible. You don't see Oprah but the character. Oprah the star simply melted away. It was an amazing performance.

by Anonymousreply 5809/01/2013

I disagree, R58, as all I saw was Oprah in that character. I thought the sons were excellent.

by Anonymousreply 5909/01/2013

Box Office: ‘The Butler’ Takes Down ‘One Direction’ in Four Days:

by Anonymousreply 6009/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!