Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is apartment living like?

I've never lived in an apartment. Grew up in a big house with a beach in CT, lived in houses throughout the south, and now living off St. Charles in New Orleans.

You must give up Something living in such close quarters. What problems develop?

by Anonymousreply 3408/17/2013

How do poor people live like that? I should start a thread and ask.

by Anonymousreply 108/13/2013

Why don't you find out.

by Anonymousreply 208/13/2013

I have no idea but I'm about to find out, I'll be moving into my first apartment by Sept 1st. I don't have much furniture, and even at the lowest price range, I actually look at some apartments and think they're too big. I was considering moving to a different state, but the apartments here in Lawrence, Ks, home of KU, are pretty cheap, so I might stay.

My niece used to be an assistant manager at an apartment complex, and has helped me look for an apartment. She says not to rent from apartment complexes, because they're usually cheaply built with thin walls.

by Anonymousreply 308/13/2013

It depends on whether your apartment has a private outside entrance. If so, then it's not too bad. However, if you share a hallway (or lobby) with neighbors, then they can become annoying rather quickly. I've lived in both, and with my own entrance I managed to avoid all but my next door neighbor for over a year... and she was deaf so it was quite nice. Once I moved into a building with a lobby, I had to run the gauntlet of overly-friendly people at least once a week just to get to the elevator or mailbox.

by Anonymousreply 408/13/2013

Probably noise is the biggest issue (not one for me though).

If you're unlucky to have a bad neighbour or two might be another but personally I haven't had an issue with mine the eight years I've been here.

I don't even know or see them. My inner city building doesn't have hang-out places.

The bonuses for me are location - walking distance to shops and public transport - and how safe I feel crime-wise compared to a regular house.

by Anonymousreply 508/13/2013

Good tip r4, I'll eliminate shared hallways from consideration. I'm actually considering a tiny one bedroom house instead of an apartment, just 350 a month, but there must be something wrong with it I don't know about yet. Otherwise, it looks cute as hell.

by Anonymousreply 608/13/2013

What kind of person has never lived in an apartment? Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 708/13/2013

My partner and I both lived in houses our whole lives, and just moved into our first apartment two years ago (actually, years ago I shared an apartment with four other girls for one year, and that was a disaster. I would rather live in a roachy studio by myself than deal with roommates)

So far we quite like it. It's easier to maintain since it's much smaller, and we find it's almost freeing to not own as much stuff, if that makes any sense. It's a small, six family building, two units per floor. We're on the second floor. We only share one wall with anyone, and it's the bathroom, so we don't have issues with noise from them. Everyone is pretty respectful. We're nervous now because the people in the other unit on our floor moved out last month, hoping to get good neighbors. The good thing is our landlord is pretty careful about who he rents to.

by Anonymousreply 808/13/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 908/13/2013

We need posts on "What's it like to drive a car? What's it like to shop for food? What's it like to breathe? What's it like to wipe your butt?" You know, things that are so strange and foreign to so many people.

by Anonymousreply 1008/13/2013

Oh, I forgot.. rip-off service charges might be one downside.

by Anonymousreply 1108/13/2013

I've only lived in apartments. I'm not the yard work fix things kind of gay. I like calling maintenance to handle stuff. One of the drawbacks to apartment living is the other tenants. Because it is an apartment, sometimes people don't care as much as they should.

by Anonymousreply 1208/13/2013

I remember someone here insulted me with a bitchy comment implying I live in an apartment, and therefore am a second class citizen, or I'd have the money for a house. This was an assumption on his part, we disagreed about a movie, that's all he knew about me. I've never heard the term "apartment trash" (like trailer trash) but that was obviously the way he meant it. It happened years ago, the repulsive elitism shocked me so I never forgot it.

by Anonymousreply 1308/13/2013

Oh, Mitt, you and Ann will love it.

by Anonymousreply 1408/13/2013

I'm kindof amazed that someone could avoid apartment living their whole life. Most people don't go from their parents home to their own house.

Noise is the worst issue, followed by poorly maintained common areas and unresponsive maintenance. However, these vary widely, and neighbors, amenities and service all improve with price.

However, even on a budget you can find a decent place if you look long and hard enough. If you just flip through a real estate rag and rent from a complex, you'll probably wind up in a shithole. Search craigslist and other online resources, give yourself as much time as you possibly can, and be choosy. If there's a real estate agent or rental property manager who shows multiple apartments in different locations, contact them. When you see an intriguing listing, act immediately. Apartment hunting is work.

by Anonymousreply 1508/13/2013

R13, I suggest letting go already.

by Anonymousreply 1608/13/2013

I have r16, it was just an anecdote, and I regret bringing it up. Just typing to hear myself type sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 1708/13/2013

I live In a small rented house. Perfect. But my neighbors are side-by-side with me.

by Anonymousreply 1808/13/2013

Noise. People, cars, stereos, TVs, clomping about above you, clomping about beneath you, banging things against the wall, against the floor (your ceiling), against their ceiling (your floor). I am so grateful that I no longer live in an apartment. I hated every minute of it.

by Anonymousreply 1908/13/2013

[quote] Grew up in a big house with a beach in CT

OP, those little details give the game away: Big house. Beach. CT.

Subtlety is a virtue when it comes to posting here.

by Anonymousreply 2008/13/2013

OP, when you say "apartment' do you actually mean "rental"?

There are all kinds of apartments, many privately owned, and as you said yourself some can be quite large with all the amenities of a private home but with common area maintained by the building staff or a homeowners association. I have one and it's great.

Of course others are cheap, small and often not terribly well built or maintained pack 'em in rental places. If that's the market you're looking at maybe you should consider putting the same money into a small condo?

by Anonymousreply 2108/13/2013

OP, I would ask a lot of questions. Is it a relatively quiet complex or do people play loud music at all hours? Will you have to deal with nosy neighbors? What are the complex' rules and are they enforced? How quickly is maintenance performed, both inside the apartments and on the grounds?

How well built are the apartments? Have there been any issues with flooding that are typically blamed on resident carelessness, rather than on defective pipes?

Depending on your answers, and if you can get along with your neighbors, you'll have a positive experience.

by Anonymousreply 2208/13/2013

Is OP looking for an apartment? His post says nothing about that. He's just musing over how poor people must live.

by Anonymousreply 2308/13/2013

Well I'm looking for an apartment, so keep the advice coming.

by Anonymousreply 2408/13/2013

Living off St. Charles Avenue?

(sniff. ahem.)

We're supposed to assume you're Uptown? And if so that carriage house would not be a "house," poseur.

by Anonymousreply 2508/13/2013

OP, can you start again but say that you are a flower gurl in Covent Garden looking for your first apartment?

by Anonymousreply 2608/13/2013

I'm 38. Since leaving college, I've only lived in a house for four months. Otherwise, I've been in an apartment. My NYC apartment which is where I've spent most of my life is a little studio I share with my husband in midtown. I love it. We did a very good job of designing it and we're very happy together. No complaints at all.

by Anonymousreply 2708/13/2013

I love it. Trees and landscaping outside, handymen on call, pool, gym, and a well-designed unit that has tons of storage and no noise issues.

A few weeks ago the water main broke on a weekend, and the whole complex was without water. Now a homeowner would have spent that weekend promising his 401K and firstborn child to plumbers and city maintenance officials, but since I live in an apartment complex the management took care of everything. They delivered bottled water to each unit, and brought in trucks with flush toilets and hot showers. I was barely inconvenienced.

by Anonymousreply 2808/13/2013

It can be great, mostly only if you have nice quiet neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 2908/14/2013

Just remember, you shouldn't collect as much junk as a tenant as you would as a homeowner.

by Anonymousreply 3008/17/2013

The OP is probably a troll. If not, he's an insufferable asshole. "You must give up Something living in such close quarters"...Lord Jesus, what a moron!

by Anonymousreply 3108/17/2013

OP, every night you get together with the couples from nearby units. Everyone draws a name from a bowl, and you go fuck that person for the night. You do return to your own unit to sleep though.

by Anonymousreply 3208/17/2013

Nothing beats a NYC penthouse view.

by Anonymousreply 3308/17/2013

I should add that in all these large places I lived as part of the help in a small side room. But I knew my place and I was neat, clean, and obedient.

by Anonymousreply 3408/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!