Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lady Gaga's "Applause"

She released it early. It's the first single of her new album "ARTPOP". What do we think, DLers?

by Anonymousreply 13608/23/2013

I posted this on the other Gaga thread. I'm not a "monster" or whatever her fans call themselves. But it's a great, great pop song.

by Anonymousreply 108/12/2013

I'm enjoying it so far. It's no "Marry The Night" or "Edge of Glory", but it is catchy just the same.

by Anonymousreply 208/12/2013

"Aura" should have been the first single.

by Anonymousreply 308/12/2013

I didn't like much before Born This Way. Maybe Telephone. Loved all of Born This Way, even the bonus tracks. I'm not quite sure about this new song yet.

by Anonymousreply 408/13/2013

It's growing on me, but I don't know if it's at the level of some of her earlier work.

by Anonymousreply 508/13/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 608/13/2013

I would love to really like it. But I find it just a bit over-produced. And what's the song about anyway? Better than Kathy's Roar. Which is not saying much.

by Anonymousreply 708/13/2013

R7 nailed it. I had intended to say the same thing last night but lost the thread.

GaGa nearly constantly fucks up on the execution of her music, the producing of it. The music is always, relentlessly in the foreground grinding away and her little voice shows up in a canyon behind a velvet curtain. It is awful. If this is what we were waiting for, we fell for the hype.

by Anonymousreply 808/13/2013

Her leaked song "Aura" aka "Burqa" is brilliant, but the lyrics... I don't know if she's going to be able to get away with it. It's really a sad situation with that one. She could change the word, but everyone would still know what was originally sung in it. Her voice is gorgeous on it too.

I sometimes wonder if singer/songwriters take into account the subject matter of their songs, and if they've considered that what they're writing may never see the light of day. That's fine to write on your downtime, but she was definitely in the "recording a new album" mode. She had to know that this song would cause a stir. Then again, she did use "Chola" and "Orient" in "Born This Way," so.

by Anonymousreply 1008/14/2013

Much prefer Katy.

by Anonymousreply 1108/14/2013

[quote]Much prefer Katy.

Most homophobic Christian fundamentalists do.

by Anonymousreply 1208/14/2013

It can't compare to MY "Applause."

by Anonymousreply 1308/14/2013

So Lady Gaga is playing Margo, is Justin Bieber going to take on Eve?

by Anonymousreply 1408/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 1508/14/2013

Stay humble Stefani. Remember those boos in Williamsburg.

by Anonymousreply 1608/14/2013

Just the title "Applause! Applause!" sounds so desperate.

Well, Lady, i won't even give you a clap.

by Anonymousreply 1708/15/2013

The song is mediocre but I'll give her this at least, she sings like an adult woman, unlike Madonna, whose voice is too high and thin. I recently deleted my entire Madonna collection, I hadn't listened to her in years and then couldn't believe how annoying I found her girly little voice.

by Anonymousreply 1808/15/2013

The production is meh and the lyrics are moronic.

by Anonymousreply 1908/15/2013

Well, lyrics have never been her strongest ability. She'll come up with some really deep line, and then the one of that will be completely ridiculous. Her lyrics are actually my biggest problem with her.

by Anonymousreply 2008/15/2013

Disappointment. It's not terrible, just extremely mediocre. Burqa had some interesting stuff going on but I'm fearing the final version will be boring. Wasn't a big fan of BTW so I was hoping this album would be more playful and fun like her first one.

And she's become even more pretentious than she was before which I didn't think would be possible. Except even during the BTW era her pretentiousness was mildly interesting, everything I've seen so far of this era is just BORING.

by Anonymousreply 2108/15/2013

oop.

by Anonymousreply 2208/15/2013

7. “Some of us just like to read.” Not exactly a knockout punch, as disses go, but Gaga coming out as a bibliophile can’t be bad.

10. Applause-O-Meter verdict: a smattering. But I eagerly await, as Gaga would have it, the Gesamtkunstwerk. Out November 11!

by Anonymousreply 2408/15/2013

Gaga should partner with Mott's because I (and apparently a lot of other people, judging by Twitter) keep reading the song title as Applesauce. Maybe she could even change the lyrics and turn it into a jingle?

by Anonymousreply 2508/15/2013

Katy Perry's Roar is outperforming Applesauce in sales. Is Gaga on the decline? Even her Little Monsters can't scare up enough interest.

by Anonymousreply 2608/15/2013

I don't understand how Katy Perry has fans.

by Anonymousreply 2708/15/2013

I'm the boss, applesauce!

by Anonymousreply 2808/15/2013

She can thank her little ghouls for ruining her career. I feel like I'm rejecting her because of her nasty fans. I may have been interested otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 2908/15/2013

28 responses? Not a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 3008/15/2013

Now 30 responses, and most of them are negative.

by Anonymousreply 3108/15/2013

Or a good song.

by Anonymousreply 3208/15/2013

Lady Gaga and Katy Perry Singles Could 'Roar' Toward Digital Chart History

[quote] Using "Roar" or "Applause" in news headlines about Gaga and Pery is never going to get old!!!

by Anonymousreply 3308/15/2013

Apparently Katy's iTunes sales for Roar are more than Gaga's Applesauce and Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines combined. And that's not a knock on Thicke since his single as been on sale for months.

by Anonymousreply 3408/15/2013

Yawn. But I'm not a fan of the dubsteppy shit pop music has become in general. At leas her early material had some catchy hooks. This could literally be anyone and I wouldn't know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 3508/15/2013

So somebody start a thread about the Katy Perry song, it's likely just as bad or worse. And Gaga edges out Perry by at least pretending to care about gays, although I suspect it's mostly for PR. She never would've recorded "Ur So Gay" though.

by Anonymousreply 3608/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 3708/15/2013

She's hacking more subtly. Lene Lovich meets Nina Hagen.

by Anonymousreply 3808/15/2013

While it's not an amazing song, I don't see why "Applause" is doing worse than "Roar". I think Perry's new song sucks big time while Gaga's is OK.

by Anonymousreply 3908/15/2013

She's always reminded me of them vocally, R38. Meh on the song, she's done better. And yet another song about fame and the spotlight?

by Anonymousreply 4008/15/2013

She sounds like Grace Jones in the opening verse.

But yeah, it's a tiresome set of lyrics about being famous and craving "applause", and it doesn't really have a hooky melody like her better stuff did.

by Anonymousreply 4108/15/2013

It's still better than anything Katy Perry puts out.

by Anonymousreply 4208/15/2013

Applause > Roar...though I guess that's not really saying much.

by Anonymousreply 4308/15/2013

I like Roar better. As does the buying public.

by Anonymousreply 4408/15/2013

"As an artist, Lady Gaga is essentially a human Tumblr account, a hauntological soup of a woman who recycles -- but rarely re-purposes -- whatever happens to catch her eye."

by Anonymousreply 4508/15/2013

At some point in the final reel of Crayton Robey's Making the Boys, Dan Savage argues that, "To be a dumb gay person is a luxury that was won for you by gay people who came before, when being gay was so complicated and so difficult that dumb gay people didn't last." Clips of Project Runway personality Christian Siriano are then offered as evidence that the torch has indeed been passed to a less intellectually gifted generation. I can only hope that this is achieved through cruel tricks of editing.

Savage makes a good point. Gay men have held an honored place among the intellectual elite since Sophocles (at least). So there is a palpable anxiety at the prospect of a sinking common denominator, the inevitable byproduct of a larger out community. The fear is that the quality of gay culture is falling, not unlike SAT scores, as more people participate. Or, perhaps, that the kids just aren't that bright, because they no longer have to be.

Reprehensible elitism or a healthy appreciation of intelligence? Probably a bit of both.

Whatever it is, one feels the lash strike queer culture each time, for example, Lady Gaga misuses the term "shade" in reference to direct insults or criticism. It began after the appearance of a Gawker story about the "Born this Way" debacle, which in and of itself is telling. The piece not only defined the term but directed readers to Paris is Burning, the film through which it entered the American vernacular. It is explained very, very clearly. Gaga still doesn't know how to use it. This means that the lead singer of Aerosmith has a greater understanding and appreciation of that hugely important piece of drag culture than the self-proclaimed LGBT youth messiah.

Still, Gaga spent Monday night filming famous drag queens without their knowledge or permission for use in her new lyric video. That's something, right?

Somewhere on a shelf in my hallway stands a copy of Lady Gaga's Monster Ball Tour, a Christmas gift from someone who heard I had attended the live show. Like the boxed set of Laura Ingalls Wilder books clearly visible over Michael Musto's shoulder in Making the Boys, it is unopened, still sealed in its original plastic. Apparently, my desire to relive that experience is on par with his yearning to revisit that Little House in the Big Woods.

While we can't confirm that it goes back as far as Sophocles, gay men have also long been the diva's best friend. Those pop heroines of gay culture have historically traded in camp--material that embraces theatrical artifice, defies negative judgment and achieves a certain sophistication through an extreme awareness of its own shortcomings. This demands an expectation that the audience isn't dumb, that they know exactly what's going on. It is best appreciated with sincerity rather than irony, but if one were to claim that a performance by the Scissor Sisters had been too dumb, it would still be akin to bragging about not getting a joke. Like the best human minds, camp is smart enough to feel dumb.

There is a strong argument to be made that the opposite of camp is art's infamous enemy pretense, which might summed up as, "dumb enough to feel smart." Or, if my experience was any indication, as "The Monster Ball Tour."

Throughout the show, Gaga remained painfully unaware that her material fell far short of the brilliance she attempted to project. Her expectation, perversely, seemed to be that if she hyped it sufficiently, the audience would be dumb enough to mistake it for artistic genius. In speech after speech, her oeuvre was presented as if "Paparazzi" were some miracle collaboration between Bob Dylan and Bizet. Time and again, she asked her fans to put their paws up, not as a silly gimmick, but as a true show of reverence and devotion. Grace Jones it was not.

It could be appreciated as accidental camp, of course. Mommie Dearest is often (wrongly, I think) described as the campiest film of all time. That doesn't seem to have been the director's goal, but it does make for an enjoyable experience. It is similarly unlikely that insufferable pseudo-intellectualism is what Gaga has been shooting for all this time. Yet, insufferable it remains. And there is something vaguely unhealthy about laughing at, rather than with, an entertainer.

Jump forward to this Monday. Gaga's new single drops, more or less with a thud. I give it a listen. I do something vaguely unhealthy.

"Is... Is she doing a David Bowie impression?" I think aloud. "Like straight up pulling a Rich Little on the verses?"

She is. It is jarring to hear Gaga's horrendously delusional lyrics delivered in Bowie Voice. Bowie sang that "Fame" is, "where things are hollow." On "Applause," Gaga dreams, "If only fame had an IV."

A friend of mine reluctantly acknowledges, "It's a nod."

If that's a nod, the cover is a full body seizure brought on by attempted corporeal possession. The artwork features Gaga as a Pierrot with smeared makeup. Mixed-cursive writing scrawled in the white border surrounding it announce her name and the title. In other words, it is the cover of Bowie's Scary Monsters, simplified. Reduced, one might say, if they knew the meaning of reductive.

I can't help but find the lyrics hilarious. I chuckle when she announces, "Some of us just like to read." Seems unlikely, all things considered.

I roar with laughter when I realize she has just declared, "Pop culture was in art / Now art's in pop culture / In me!" Take that every musician in human history! Especially you, The Beatles! What you were doing wasn't art. Music only became an art form when Lady Gaga told people it was, within the context of a mediocre dance song about how much she loves being famous.

Delivered with a sense of irony, it could be a line from the Pet Shop Boys' "Ego Music." Maybe they can add it to future mixes. It would be especially at home on a reissue of PopArt, their 2003 greatest hits album.

Back when Gaga announced the coming of her ARTPOP album in that embarrassing-for-us-all press release, she vowed to "bring ARTculture into POP in a reverse Warholian expedition." The supposition that a "reverse Warholian" anything in that context is by definition possible makes clear that her understanding of Warhol's work and impact is derived mostly from the opening lines of his Wikipedia entry. I wish someone would explain it to her. Miranda July, you busy? Maybe you could start with, you know, The Velvet Underground, and their manager, Andy fucking Warhol.

And the suggestion that pop stars have not already long looked to the world of high art for inspiration is especially rich coming from Gaga. I once wrote that, "As an artist, Lady Gaga is essentially a human Tumblr account, a hauntological soup of a woman who recycles -- but rarely re-purposes -- whatever happens to catch her eye." Because I am a Nazi, who should be murdered, obviously. In the time since, she has been dutifully diligent about living up to that description. Surely in this plunder she has become aware that pop music has, particularly since the '60s, all but milked the worlds of performance and visual art dry. I mean, she is copying Bowie copying commedia dell'arte right there on the cover. Didn't a certain other pop star reference Warhol pretty prominently on her third album? And didn't someone else known to dress as a wheelchair-bound mermaid parody the phenomenon way back in 1984?

It is undeniable that Gaga did learn one thing from Warhol, though: that it's more important to make headlines than to make art.

"I must be artistic!" One imagines her crying into the night.

"You could write a really good song," one of her handlers suggests.

"Or," says another, "You could wear this funny hat..."

The hat is fabulous, of course. And, yes, it is art. But it isn't her art, and it doesn't take a genius to wear it.

So it is supremely annoying that we are asked to believe that she is so artistic, you guys, for having discovered Andy Warhol 15 years later in life than most. More annoying still is that anyone is fool enough to buy it. At this rate, she'll discover Orlan and Colette mere decades after the suits are settled. By then, she won't even need a Haus of handlers to supply appropriated art to pass off as divinely inspired.

Even more irksome -- and downright depressing -- is that Gaga's appropriation strongly discourages any serious interest in art and, for that matter, popular music. Her combination of cult-like indoctrination and reliance on rote regurgitation forms, among her fan base, a powerful aversion to the betters that preceded her. A psychological need is created: if Mother Monster did it, it must be original. These kids aren't rushing out to buy Bowie recordings any more than they did Madonna.

I am not saying (as some commenters will, I'm sure,) that Lady Gaga is untalented, or makes especially bad music, or even that people shouldn't enjoy it. She can write a hook. She knows what makes people dance. She can sing. I would never write a piece simply because I felt someone's art was bad. What would be the point? There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone, talented or otherwise, making art. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Moreover, she is talented and I hope that she continues making music for the rest of her life. And, frankly, if her first album had been bad, nobody would be paying attention now. I would never have been at that trainwreck of a live show.

What I am saying is that much of the anxiety about Gaga (including my own) is rooted in how blindly so many kids take her for a Very Gifted and Serious Artist, when in fact she has demonstrated even less originality than her peers. Perhaps less than any pop act since ABBA Teens--unless you count the cast of Glee, which is certainly no comfort. Can we really, we wonder, be this dumb? We see visions of Hypatia facing the mob.

So is Lady Gaga a major contributor to the dumbing of gay America? Or does she, like LOGO and five installments of the Eating Out franchise before her, merely lay it bare? Will the Little Monsters, like their peers destined to abandon Bieber for Kanye, move on to more sophisticated music once they get that learner's permit? Or will they stick with their baby for a thousand years? And will they ever really get that last reference? I mean, really get it? And is there any hope for -- egads! -- the adult Little Monsters?

I suspect we'll find out, sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 4608/15/2013

Are you a 12 year old girl, R44?

by Anonymousreply 4708/15/2013

[quote]It's still better than anything Katy Perry puts out.

That's like saying dog shit is better than cat shit.

by Anonymousreply 4808/15/2013

Who's the author of that piece, R46?

by Anonymousreply 4908/15/2013

Larry Womack, he is a writer for the Huffington Post.

by Anonymousreply 5008/15/2013

The mix of the song is really, really bad. I'd be interested to see who was responsible for mixing it.

by Anonymousreply 5108/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 5208/15/2013

Why must one pop songstress be pitted against another? It was tiresome in the 80's and it is now.

by Anonymousreply 5308/15/2013

She's a sporadic hitmaker. Most of her albums are mediocre dance music, with a couple catchy ones ("Judas").

I think the problem is she's trying to be something (disco diva? Madonna-lite?). And sometimes achieves it but mostly fails.

by Anonymousreply 5408/15/2013

Well it's less offensive than the plagiarised Roar at least.

I bet these "leaks" were made with military precision - Vevo even has a "Roar" vs "Applause" banner. Katy and Gaga never had this much rivalry before, even if they were compared from the start.

by Anonymousreply 5508/15/2013

SALES UPDATE:

***It looks like John Mayer was right when he said that Katy Perry's"Roar" would be a huge hit. According to Billboard, Perry's new single is set to sell 450,000 downloads by the end of the week, eclipsing the new single from fellow pop star Lady Gaga, whose "Applause" is expected to sell somewhere between 200,000 and 250,000 downloads. Both songs were released this week after leaking over the weekend. Early indications on Monday suggested that each pop diva's song might sell more than 400,000 copies the first week.***

Ouch, Gaga's underperfoming early estimates.

by Anonymousreply 5608/15/2013

No surprise there...Katy's song is by far the most predictable, "radio friendly" song of the two.

by Anonymousreply 5708/15/2013

Let's talk about Judy vs. Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 5808/15/2013

Katy Perry has always had strong singles sales. The problem is nobody buys her albums.

by Anonymousreply 5908/15/2013

I got through about half of that "article" before I was bored out of my mind. Pretentious and verbose.

I'm not a fan of Gaga's music, but I really don't get the vitriol that a lot of people have towards her.

by Anonymousreply 6008/15/2013

Let's not forget, it's not being played on all radio stations. The radio deal doesn't begin until 8/19, when the single was supposed to come out. I still think it could be a #1 for her, if she has a killer music video and does a good job at the VMA's.

by Anonymousreply 6208/15/2013

Oh and Applause is selling more than Roar in almost every other country, other than the U.S, which is odd.

by Anonymousreply 6308/15/2013

Applesauce is also sitting at #3 on iTunes here in Canada. It's at #4 on iTunes in the UK, where it's expected to debut on the UK's official singles chart BEHIND Ellie Goulding's Burn.

by Anonymousreply 6408/15/2013

I'm sorry to say that but the whole arrangement sounds cheap. And where is the bass line for X sake? Did she forget it? Making a song without adding a bass line is like making a cake without adding sugar. I think that song has potential but is in deep need of a remix. That and a bass line...

by Anonymousreply 6508/16/2013

"Oh and Applause is selling more than Roar in almost every other country, other than the U.S, which is odd."

Applesauce is HUGE in Japan!

by Anonymousreply 6608/16/2013

It's easily her weakest single to date.

by Anonymousreply 6708/16/2013

***Katy Perry's 'Roar': Already a Career Best, Sets 2013 Digital Record

In three days, the pop star has sold over 272,000 digital songs and is projected to hit 525,000 within the single's first week of release.

The ferocious mid-tempo track, which hit digital retailers at midnight on Aug. 12, has already sold 272,000 digital songs, and "Roar" is on target to move 525,000 in its first week of release, surpassing Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines."***

The Little Monsters are FREAKING out all over the internet. This was supposed to be Gaga's time to shine! These should be GAGA's sales numbers!! And Gaga's headlines!!!

Katy Perry better watch her back, because Gaga's hardcore fanbase is LOCO.

by Anonymousreply 6808/16/2013

It's not radio friendly and only her hardcore fanbase will buy it - and Gaga's hardcore fans are much less than Madge's.

by Anonymousreply 6908/16/2013

I'll give Gags some credit. At least she seems to be somewhat self-aware:

***Lady Gaga Is No Longer Relevant, Claims Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga, who is maybe gripping the handlebars a little too hard these days, has released a new video ... but no, it's not the music video for her new single, "Applause." Instead titled "Lady Gaga Is Over: A Film by Haus of Gaga," the video offers a long take of Gaga, set to boos, with captioned statements like "Lady Gaga is no longer relevant," "Ever since Born This Way, she's a flop," and "DO NOT buy her new single 'Applause' on iTunes."***

Don't worry Gags, nobody is!

by Anonymousreply 7008/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 7108/16/2013

Poor Gags.

by Anonymousreply 7208/16/2013

R64 the idea that Goulding is more than a 1-hit wonder in the UK says more about the UK's bad taste in music than anything else. That bitch has 0 vocal ability.

by Anonymousreply 7308/16/2013

I totally do not get Ellie Goulding and that fat, red-headed guy, Ed Something or other. It's like anyone from the UK, good or bad, gets on US top 40 radio. It's the "Adele effect", but then I didn't get Adele either.

by Anonymousreply 7408/16/2013

While Adele is overrated and has limited range, she can at least sing well in 2 octaves. Ellie Goulding is as horrible as Florence Welch and Ed Sheeran has an annoying voice too. The only recent British pop star whose voice I like is Jessie J.

Anyway I'm not understanding why "Roar" is doing so well. I'm not a Perry fan, but I think she's had much better singles in the past. "Roar" sounds childish and unpleasant to the ear.

by Anonymousreply 7508/17/2013

If a song like Roar can break records there's something wrong with pop music. It's a terrible song!

by Anonymousreply 7608/17/2013

I love Gaga and was expecting her to smash. Instead, a generic song like Roar which is a rip-off of Brave by talented Sara Bareilles, is trashing Applause to the ground. I'll still enjoy ARTPOP even without the commercial success.

However, I do request a new thread: "Lady Gaga's Collapse is complete."

Katy Perry has won like Madonna and Britney once did. Gaga is following in the footsteps of Cyndi Lauper and Christina Aguilera down the path of irrelevance. Such a shame, she had more to contribute to pop than the new Queen Kunty Perry.

by Anonymousreply 7708/17/2013

Roar is the new anthem for scorned fraus.

by Anonymousreply 7808/17/2013

Please, make a "Lady Gaga's Collapse Is Complete" thread. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7908/17/2013

I don't think Roar will have much staying power and it's just initial hype. It's hardly "Blurred Lines" as far as earwormy hooks go.

How the FUCK did that manage 500K?! The others that did this such as "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" I can at least see why, but not this trite derivative tuneless nonsense.

This cunt does not deserve 9 #1s or whatever it is. She's hardly a RiRi, who always brings the quality.

by Anonymousreply 8008/17/2013

Here it is, R79.

by Anonymousreply 8108/17/2013

Thanks, R81. I posted. I'll see what other have to say.

by Anonymousreply 8208/17/2013

Meh... It's forgettable .. I probably won't buy it although I have all of her other music. She is falling off her "Edge of Glory"

by Anonymousreply 8308/17/2013

[quote]Gaga is following in the footsteps of Cyndi Lauper and Christina Aguilera down the path of irrelevance.

I don't you looking at the right path......

~Cyndi Lauper, Tony Award winner 2013 of the Broadway hit Kinky Boots

by Anonymousreply 8408/17/2013

Roar is generic but I'll bet Katy has a killer second single. Hot N Cold and Teenage Dream were both infinitely better than what came before them.

by Anonymousreply 8508/17/2013

I thought "Hot 'N' Cold" almost sank Perry. I agree that "Teenage Dream" was great, though - I still love that song.

What's Gaga's next single?

by Anonymousreply 8608/17/2013

[quote]She's hardly a RiRi, who always brings the quality.

Oh, my sides.

by Anonymousreply 8708/17/2013

Both singles are gorgeously forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 8808/17/2013

a hit song needs a bass line, huh, R65?

interesting...

by Anonymousreply 8908/17/2013

'APPLAUSE' starring LADY GAGA. A film in black+white, color, and hand painted film. Directed by Dutch Photographers

MY 1ST MUSIC VIDEO IN 2 YRS PREMIERES IN LESS THAN 26 HRS on @GMA AND VEVO! #APPLAUSEVID819 A fashion, pop, performance art fantasia!

by Anonymousreply 9008/18/2013

Aw, poor R60. Too many big words and references? Not enough LOL-ing?

by Anonymousreply 9108/18/2013

Ouch, Applesauce is down to #7 on US iTunes. Katy Perry's Roar is still #1. Where did it all go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 9208/18/2013

Gaga should have released Burqa. It wouldn't have sold as much as Roar - which I'm sorry, is a really stupid song (and I'm not a monster, nor do I hate Katy Perry) - but it's great, great song.

by Anonymousreply 9308/19/2013

10 year-old girls are buying Roar. That's why it's selling so much.

by Anonymousreply 9408/19/2013

[quote]Roar is generic but I'll bet Katy has a killer second single. Hot N Cold and Teenage Dream were both infinitely better than what came before them.

No gay person should support that Christian fundie nut!

by Anonymousreply 9508/19/2013

Just saw the video, it's beautiful. Inez and Vinoodh did a great job. I'm not usually into their work.

by Anonymousreply 9608/19/2013

Gaga should never have been a "Madonna". She's an artist. Sure, she tries too hard. But she would never, ever sing a song like Roar. Neither would Kurt Cobain. It's just generic pop. Of course it sells. That's the reason it's called generic pop. Applause isn't her best, but it's pretty damn good. Listen to Burqa. That's an artist.

by Anonymousreply 9708/19/2013

[quote]Gaga should never have been a "Madonna". She's an artist. Sure, she tries too hard. But she would never, ever sing a song like Roar.

Huh? Most of her songs are generic pop shit like Roar. Catchy, yes, but in no way "artistically" better. Like 90% of her first album is interchangeable with anything Katy Perry does. Fame Monster showed some potential but Born This Way was faux-inspirational fan pandering.

by Anonymousreply 9808/19/2013

Can she sing about anything else besides fame and attention?

I co-sign R98. The first album was fun but forgettable besides the constant name checking of Gaga, The Fame Monster EP was probably her best and Born This Way was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 9908/19/2013

I'm with you both, R98 and R99. A few years ago, Gaga had this perfect moment where she was on top of both the charts and of pop culture adoration. This was around the time of Bad Romance and Telephone and Paparazzi. I was hoping she might get it back, hit another perfect moment of pop/camp/art fusion the way those singles did.

It was great that her song Born This Way was so queer/spectrum-positive in its lyrics, but the melody really was a ripoff of Express Yourself and the interviews around that time showed her to be ridiculously self-important. The follow up singles were OK but nothing like the sublimely fun stuff on Fame Monster.

The "Applause" single fails, at least for me. Not enough melody, and is there anything more tiresome than a famous person singing about being famous?

by Anonymousreply 10008/19/2013

Lady Gaga is over. The end. She had a moment where she had potential but..she ain't no Madonna and won't have the staying power of a pop diva. I knew it then, told everybody but everyone was so defensive about her.

by Anonymousreply 10108/19/2013

One more thing in her favor, and one more thing against.

For: excellent and versatile singing voice.

Against: good lord, that twitter meltdown she had the other day re: Perez Hilton. It's possible she is not a well woman.

by Anonymousreply 10208/19/2013

Torta, I guess that is what separates her from Madonna. Vadge would never go to war on Twitter (at least not yet) but would release a statement like, "That is sad to hear, I'm such a fan...blah blah blah." Like she has donein the past to Joni Mitchell, Cher, ...

by Anonymousreply 10308/19/2013

Have you guys seen the music video?

I like her songs but I think her music videos are way too dark, both literally and figuratively.

-Born this way is an uplifting song, but the music video was dark. -Alejandro was dark and black/white. -Edge of Glory was dark hues. -Marry the Night was more bright and colorful, but still overall dark. -Applause - dark, black/white

Contrast to the fun and colorful/bright music videos (and more successful) of Telephone and Paparazzi and Bad Romance. I like her songs, I just wish her music videos were more "fun" rather than "art/political."

by Anonymousreply 10408/19/2013

The song is okay I guess, but I really did like the video.

by Anonymousreply 10508/19/2013

Just watched it... very funny, witty, weird. Gets more conventional (in a good way) toward the end, just like the song. It doesn't have all the same, simple, uplifting, exciting pleasures of her earlier stuff. I found it interesting but I am not sure I am the intended audience.

by Anonymousreply 10608/19/2013

R98, she writes her songs. She can play instruments. She should have been a singer/songwriter. She never, ever should have been a Madonna-like pop star.

by Anonymousreply 10708/19/2013

that video is why she's great. She's not supposed to be a huge star. She makes fun of it. It happened by accident. That's why she's so good.

by Anonymousreply 10808/19/2013

I actually think it's one of her better videos. But the song is not good. It's almost good. It's almost catchy. But the lyrical content feels novelty and the chorus is lazy.

by Anonymousreply 10908/19/2013

I love her homage to Janet in the new video

by Anonymousreply 11008/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 11108/21/2013

I for one am bored to death with all of her songs being cluttered with layers and layers of synths and the generic electro beats.

Remember when music actually had REAL instruments?

by Anonymousreply 11208/21/2013

Wentworth Miller just came out of the closet. Someone needs to make a thread.

by Anonymousreply 11308/21/2013

And you need to cough up $18, R113.

by Anonymousreply 11408/21/2013

R112, You and I is a classic simple song. Not overproduced. That's what I've been trying to say. And I'm NOT a monster. She's versatile. She can do just about anything and it's HER vision. Not Riri or Britney who are just figure heads.

by Anonymousreply 11508/21/2013

I want to change my vote. Originally, I said I liked it. But after hearing it a few more times (and seeing the video), I want to bump it up because...I'm LOVING it!

by Anonymousreply 11608/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 11708/22/2013

R117 should have read:

"Lady Gaga Such a Flop She Couldn't Out Sell Perry."

Suck it, bitches!!!

by Anonymousreply 11808/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 11908/23/2013

That video sucked. She's trying way to hard, I mean she had 7 or 8 looks in that video and her lofty "Art" aspirations don't go with her cheezy top 40 music.

by Anonymousreply 12008/23/2013

THIS is the real music! Gaga has nothing on this bitches!!

by Anonymousreply 12108/23/2013

That's not bad r121, and I love how he's clearly finally coming out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 12208/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 12308/23/2013

Wow r121, get this, he delete my comment asking if he's finally out. What a freak. I said: "So Richard, are you finally out. It'd be ridiculous to deny it now, not that it wasn't always ridiculous. And it's 2013, it's safe now, just say it gurl!" That weasel deleted that! Guess I got my answer. Religious brainwashing from his family?

by Anonymousreply 12408/23/2013

He deleted it just now?

by Anonymousreply 12508/23/2013

Yes, I'm starting a thread about it.

by Anonymousreply 12608/23/2013

"Applause" is boring until you see the kinky video. Her music has just become Muzak background for her mini-movies.

Speaking of film, her features and body are decent enough to be in movies.

by Anonymousreply 12708/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 12808/23/2013

Gaga as a swan is the stuff of nightmares. Damn, she's ugly.

by Anonymousreply 12908/23/2013

"Pop culture was an art, now art's in pop culture in me"

She couldn't do better than that?

by Anonymousreply 13008/23/2013

[quote]Speaking of film, her features and body are decent enough to be in movies.

Which is why she's going to be in the new Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino film "Machete Kills" next month.

As for her mini-movies, I think they're awesome. She's the only artist since Michael Jackson to seriously put time and effort into creating visual companion pieces to all of her singles.

by Anonymousreply 13108/23/2013

It looks like Gags and Katy P have something planned for the VMAs. They are sitting side by side!

by Anonymousreply 13208/23/2013

Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga Lady Gaga

by Anonymousreply 13308/23/2013

"Donatella, maybe she’s a bitch, maybe she’s too skinny, maybe she’s too rich, maybe she’s too out there. Or, maybe she’s brilliant, maybe she’s intelligent, maybe she’s strong, maybe she’s everything, maybe she’s Donatella."

Maybe it's Maybeline!

by Anonymousreply 13408/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 13508/23/2013

[quote]Speaking of film, her features and body are decent enough to be in movies.

[quote]Which is why she's going to be in the new Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino film "Machete Kills" next month.

Yes, exactly! Thanks for posting this because as everyone knows you have to be attractive and have a nice body to appear in movies and this proves that Gaga has both!!!

by Anonymousreply 13608/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.