Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Life wisdom that you learned (or remember) from a TV show/movie/book

I know it's all just entertainment, but have you ever had something from a movie, or TV show, or book stick with you through life?

Not in that "let's quote all the lines like a mimic bird" sort of way, but things that you really remember?

Laugh all you want, but when I am too lazy to move things when dusting, I remember the line from Mommie Dearest about "when you polish the floor, you have to MOVE the tree."

Anything you use in your everyday life?

by Anonymousreply 2808/18/2013

"The Golden Bough" by Sir James George Frazer showed me how all religion is about scapegoating and human sacrifice and why.

by Anonymousreply 208/12/2013

Mine is from Dear Alex & Andy... The viewers would write in to the show with their teen dilemmas and Alex & Andy would sing back the advice : from a girl whose boyfriend had a habit of driving too fast came these words of wisdom ...

This is your life and you wanna live it

Havin a boyfriend may be nice

But what is it worth if he can hurt you?

Make it a showdown ; tell 'im ta slow down

Hold up a stop sign!

by Anonymousreply 308/12/2013

I now know to drink my juice.

by Anonymousreply 408/13/2013

After reading Like Water for Chocolate, the idea that you "dont light all the matches at once" had a big impact on me.

by Anonymousreply 508/13/2013

From the "Don't Play Ball in the House" episode of "The Brady Bunch".

Carol Brady scolds Jan after Jan suggests replanting cut flowers from the broken vase, "Jan! You know you can't replant cut flowers!"

I was about 6 years old, and this was news to me!

by Anonymousreply 608/14/2013

I learned that the man should always kill the bug!

by Anonymousreply 708/14/2013

From Lucy's version of " Yours, Mine, and Ours" when Frank( played by Henry Fonda) tells Helen's daughter : " It isn't going to bed with a man that proves your're in love with him; it's the getting up in the morning and facing the drab, miserable, wonderful everyday world with him that counts."

If I could find a man like that I would want for nothing else except time to enjoy him.

by Anonymousreply 808/14/2013

A more profound, "big picture" lesson, after I had watched all of Six Feet Under. I realized that all of the characters had grown or evolved in some ways. However, they had not "perfected " themselves. Ruth was still a bit neurotic, Brenda still had some self-doubt, Claire was kind of a brat, all during the final few episodes. It helped me to realize that I had to be easier on myself. I was brevet going to be perfect. I could change things, but other things would stay the same.

by Anonymousreply 908/14/2013

I learned a cure for the hiccups from "Columbo" that I've been using for more than 30 years. Never fails.

I've learned a lot from books, too much to relate here. It's a pity that no one reads anymore except on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 1008/14/2013

Life is just unfair and change is the only constant - dorothy rowe, in a book about depression.

by Anonymousreply 1108/14/2013

1. Harry's line to Sally: "You're the worst kind: high maintenance who thinks she's low maintenance."

Helped me understand a close friend at the time who was also trying to pass himself off as a lowkey laid-back hippie kind of guy when he was really as high maintenace as they come.

2. Suzanne Sugarbaker, "You've got to fight sugar WITH sugar" as she prepared to free Charlene from a "chirping bulldozer."

by Anonymousreply 1208/14/2013

"There's no sense asking if the air is good, if there is nothing else to breathe."

Eleanor of Aquitaine. "The Lion in Winter"

by Anonymousreply 1308/14/2013

R10 please share your cure (I usually hold my breath for 30 seconds).

There are still those who read, it's just that the publishers are homogenising their output so much that it's difficult to find anything that hasn't been written before.

I'm re-reading Love and Peace With Melody Paradise by Martin Millar at the moment because my last trip to the book store (I still like to browse) yielded nothing unless I want to read about vampires or a misery memoir. After Love and Peace I think I'll move on to The Good Fairies of New York, another old favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1408/14/2013

Don't hide in an old fridge during a game of hide and seek.

by Anonymousreply 1508/14/2013

I'll never forget the Deadwood episode with the 2 sad sack dope fiends.

Despite the one guy trying to be as decent as possible, in the end it was random which one died.

The moral: it doesn't matter what you do or don't do for or with people. If you're not in the upper echelon (whatever that is)--you're fucked.

The episode got more press for the way the guy died than the point of the story.

by Anonymousreply 1608/14/2013

I'll never forget this inspiring moment:

by Anonymousreply 1708/14/2013

"Move forward"

by Anonymousreply 1808/14/2013

When you want to zing or verbally bitchslap someone, the only proper way to do it is by storming past security into their office while wearing a Bob Mackie gown.

by Anonymousreply 1908/14/2013

words of wisdom The Cigarette Smoking Man in "The X Files" :

"Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat.

Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers."

by Anonymousreply 2008/14/2013

R14, here's the cure from Columbo's Uncle Something:

Take a deep breath and hold it.

Continue holding it while taking seven small sips of water.

Continue holding it while counting to seven.

Voila! No more hiccups.

Some people do still read and lord knows there are millions of books that none of us have read yet. I just think that people who don't read books are missing out. They seem to disagree with me on this point.

by Anonymousreply 2108/14/2013

From Magnolia, of all things -

[quote]"We may be through with the past but the past ain't through with us."

That's the truth of everyone's life, about as plainly as it can be put.

by Anonymousreply 2208/14/2013

From The Perks of Being A Wallflower:

"We accept the love we think we deserve."

by Anonymousreply 2308/14/2013

Turns out it really is a pleasure to be drunk when your little boy's been killed.

by Anonymousreply 2408/14/2013

From Kung Fu: The Legend Continues:

"Vengeance is as a water vessel with a hole.

It holds nothing but the promise of emptiness."

by Anonymousreply 2508/18/2013

R26, You need serious help. I hope you find it before it's too late. Drugs are bad. You're headed down a slippery slope!

by Anonymousreply 2708/18/2013

(From the scene where dowdy heiress "Catherine Sloper" /Oliva DeHavilland is anxiously waiting for "Morris"/Montgomery Clift to come to her house and steal her away in the middle of the night to elope. Her aunt finds her waiting anxiously for him and learns of their plans. She voices her concern to Catherine that he's not going to show.)

Catherine is beside herself and says that he "He must love me! He must! For all those who didn't." (As though his love was going to fix it all for her)

That line really struck a chord with me and has always stayed with me. When I was younger I had a tendency to expect my current partners to make up for all the trauma/lack that I had experienced in my past and for some reason it was a light bulb moment when I heard that line. Cheesy, I know.

by Anonymousreply 2808/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!