Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Herpes on the lip or cold sore

If you cut out the cold sore, even to the point of removing a centimeter of flesh, after it healed would the herpes sore come back?

by Anonymousreply 4308/18/2013

Yes, because it is a virus stored in your body.

by Anonymousreply 108/11/2013

Dude, no ... Bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 208/11/2013

Yes, the virus is dormant in the trigeminal ganglion, the nerve trunk that inner gates the lower face. Cutting out the nerve endings in one area will probably just make it erupt somewhere else the next time the virus decides to have a party.

by Anonymousreply 308/11/2013

Try cutting your lips off entirely, that'll work for sure!

by Anonymousreply 408/11/2013

I've had them all my life and I don't think they've ever appeared in the same place twice.

by Anonymousreply 508/11/2013

No they don't usually erupt in the same place twice because they follow along the nerve path. They can lay dormant in any number of nerves.

Shingles is the same way. It lies dormant after an outbreak of chicken pox, and then years later can re-emerge as shingles. It follows the nerve path and often times has the appearance of a streak of tiny blisters. Mo-fo's hurt like a bitch

by Anonymousreply 708/11/2013

Get some Valtrex. Two pills at the first signs of a breakout and the breakout never happens.

by Anonymousreply 808/11/2013

Abreva is expensive as hell, but it also works if you get it on the breakout right away.

Does tea tree oil really work? I've never hear of that method before.

by Anonymousreply 908/12/2013

Try applying peroxide with a cotton ball, as many times a day as you can reasonable do it.

I've had it work for me but would love to have this confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 1008/12/2013

Tea tree oil (+ l-lysine tablets) works better than Abreva for me. I was kind of surprised to find that it was genuinely effective.

by Anonymousreply 1108/12/2013

I get them about once a year in the corner of my mouth. I second the Valtrex recommendation but you've got to get it early on when you first feel the tell-tale tingle that starts before an outbreak. Abreva and the like don't do much, and I'm stuck with the hideous thing for two or three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 1208/12/2013

The light treatment pens work for me. Never had a cold-sore break out on me since. Mouth ulcers, on the other hand..

by Anonymousreply 1308/12/2013

I use a combination of topicals, including Herpecin and Abreva, the minute I feel anything. It seems to keep it from ever erupting.

by Anonymousreply 1408/12/2013

I think this thread jinxed me - I had a stressful week and felt the tingle of a couple of tiny bumps below my lips at work the other day. That evening I poked holes in them, went HAM on the whole cluster with tea tree oil, and popped a couple of lysine tablets. They were scabbed over and barely noticeable in the morning. Disgusting but true. Shout out to Walgreens tea tree oil.

by Anonymousreply 1508/17/2013

Vitamin B-complex. Yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 1608/17/2013

That works for me also, r10.

by Anonymousreply 1708/17/2013

Use your roommates' toothbrushes for a week when you have an outbreak, OP.

It will trigger an immune response in your body.

by Anonymousreply 1808/17/2013

Zovirax prescription cream. A tiny tube of wonder.

by Anonymousreply 1908/17/2013

OP, yes, but you have to get each of the viruses and they're all over your body. I suggest a Crate and Barrel mini-melon-scooper, a good magnifying glass, and a big huff of meth.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 2008/17/2013

just tell everyone it's cancer, OP. Soon Buzzfeed will call you beloved and brave. PR is awesome

by Anonymousreply 2108/17/2013

If only it were that simple...

by Anonymousreply 2208/17/2013

if you have it on your lips, does that mean you have it also on your cock?

by Anonymousreply 2308/17/2013

Tea Tree Oil doesn't work for me. To the contrary.

The same spot on my lower lip erupts any time I burn my lips in the sun. Same bloody spot.

Clinique used to make the Touch Stick which was fabulous - discontinued of course.

Now if needed I use a cheap acne stick from Walmart that dries the fucker up like right now.

by Anonymousreply 2408/17/2013

r3

inner gates = innervates

Automatic spelling correction, I assume.

by Anonymousreply 2508/17/2013

Icy Hot

It's good on your nutsack too, OP

by Anonymousreply 2608/17/2013

Tape a small firecracker to that cold sore, light it, and SQUINT!

by Anonymousreply 2708/17/2013

R4 = Savannah Guthrie

by Anonymousreply 2808/17/2013

You all are warning every guy that you go down on that you have herpes, aren't you? And that it can spread even when there is not a sore? Just checkin'.

by Anonymousreply 2908/17/2013

Stop scaring people, r29.

by Anonymousreply 3008/17/2013

Same with the anal warts! Oh, don't remind me!!

by Anonymousreply 3108/17/2013

R29 We all carry herpes. I won't bother to educate you about different types - look it up.

by Anonymousreply 3208/18/2013

Actually, you need to educate yourselves, r30 and especially r32. One third to half of all cases of genital herpes are transmitted by oral sex. 90 percent of people who have it do not know it.

The difference in types is inconsequential. HSV1 usually is oral, HSV2 usually is genital, but both can be at either spot (or any part of the body through friction or abrasion), can be transmitted without symptoms, and are incurable.

It's not that people should be scared - it's that they should be more realistic. Look at how many online ads and profiles demand "DDF" partners. The truth is that most sexually active gay men have one or both strains.

by Anonymousreply 3308/18/2013

You don't want to get the throat cancer like Michael Douglas did.

by Anonymousreply 3408/18/2013

""HSV1 usually is oral, HSV2 usually is genital, but both can be at either spot (or any part of the body through friction or abrasion), can be transmitted without symptoms, and are incurable.""

how can both be at either spot?

"" One third to half of all cases of genital herpes are transmitted by oral sex.""

really??

by Anonymousreply 3608/18/2013

Yes, really. HSV1 "prefers" the mouth, but will also do just fine on the genitals. Or anywhere else - wrestlers can transmit it to each other on their backs, faces, etc.

The irony is that, as awareness of cold sore increased, fewer people got it on their mouths as children, leaving them open to get it on their genitals as young adults. Generally, you can only have each strain in one location - after the initial infection, your body develops resistance.

by Anonymousreply 3708/18/2013

I get herpes on my lips usually if I haven't slept enough for a few days and/or I'm stressed. I used to have it at least once a month when I was smoking, but nowadays only once or twice a year maybe. And I've had them many times in exactly the same spot. I use Zovirax, and it takes about a week to get it out completely.

Sometimes when I feel the tingling and start licking the spot furiously for a minute it might stop the outbreak. I hate the outbreak because you have to be extra cautious about not touching your lips and then your eyes or your dick.

I think I once had herpes in my eyes: I woke one morning with cold sore like bumps in the middle of both of my eyelids. I was abroad and could't go to the doctor, but thankfully the bumps disappeared pretty soon, and I haven't had them ever again.

So, I hate herpes, and I pray that I'll never get it on my cock.

And to the person wondering whether to burst or cut the cold sore out: jesus, just thinking about it hurts, since they are so sensitive that it's not even funny.

And BTW, to my understanding herpes is only active on your lips when you feel the tingling, and that is the only time that you can pass it on to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 3808/18/2013

Your understanding is incorrect, r38. Herpes can be spread even when there are no symptoms (google "herpes shedding").

by Anonymousreply 3908/18/2013

Bloody hell, that's disgusting, R39. Thanks for the info.

Now I hate herpes even more.

by Anonymousreply 4008/18/2013

And with that, the thought of oral sex, becaume that much more horrifying in the minds of people everywhere. . .

by Anonymousreply 4108/18/2013

I'd be curious as to the number of people that have actually given themselves genital herpes from their own oral outbreak.

by Anonymousreply 4208/18/2013

R42, that's not really possible, since your body develops an immune response. I suppose, if you had an outbreak on your lips and abrasions or cuts on your cock, you might be able to contract it there, too. But the body is not defenseless.

The best defense against herpes is to not have sex. Doctors do not consider it a major health issue, and will not test unless there are obvious symptoms or the patient requests it. If you are with someone who discloses, the odds are 4% in a year of 200 sex acts, if you only avoid sex during outbreaks. Using drugs halves that to 2%, and condoms half that to 1%. But with the stigma and freaking out evidenced on this thread, people don't get tested or don't disclose - increasing the risks. 1of 3 gay men in NY have genital herpes, 80 to 90% who don't know (or ignore the evidence).

It's not a big deal, except for the frenzy the public has been whipped into so they will buy expensive drugs that only reduce risks and symptoms rather than curing it. It would be easier if people just lightened up and accepted this as a risk of sex, just like HPV.

by Anonymousreply 4308/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.