Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why does everybody hate the HRC?

I'm 23 living in San Francisco, and I've noticed that a lot of people online hate the Human Rights Campaign (HRC). Can anybody tell me why? Or is it just a general anti-organization / anti-establishment feeling?

Also, is there a "better" gay rights organization? I'm looking to volunteer at a gay rights organization and I wanted to get more informed.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 79August 15, 2013 9:47 PM

They collect millions and pay out millions to their over-paid execs. And they are always giving awards to straight people. Give money to Lambda Legal. They are basically the Susan G Komen of gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2013 2:31 AM

I thought this was another Hillary Clinton thread.

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2013 2:32 AM

OP, because they don't accomplish anything.

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2013 2:33 AM

I went to an HRC event; Gay-listers with trophy boys.

I'm not rich and I'm not a trophy boy so I realize I just didn't belong there.

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2013 2:35 AM

If you aren't rich and white, you ain't shit. I loathe HRC...however, they have made an effort to be more inclusionary under their new leadership.

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2013 2:46 AM

I'm half-joking when I say that the HRC could be an anti-gay group designed to collect gay people's advocacy money and do NOTHING with it to make real progress in gay rights. They're the most useless, heterocentric "gay rights" group imaginable--really, they could have been dreamed up by our enemies. They seem to have been at least partially supplanted by the vastly more effective marriage rights groups--hopefully they'll cease to exist very soon.

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2013 2:54 AM

I used to give them $50 a month. Then I lost my job, but let them keep taking the $50. Then I got a call from them asking me to up the amount, I told them I was unemployed and didn't want to spend any more, and they expressed sympathy but said they hoped I'd consider what great work they do and would consider giving more.

This was the first time they ever did anything that benefitted me. The result was that I cancelled my $50/month pledge.

Although their name serves to distance themselves from the LGBT community, they are committed to using us for funding purposes.

As a member of the GLBT community, I have no reason to expect anything from them and they should have no reason to expect anything of me

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2013 2:54 AM

Wow have never seen more clueless commentary.

HRC is indeed an excellent org that DOES accomplish much. They were singularly responsible for stopping right wing Thomas Moore Institutes efforts to remove LGBT civil rights from small city charters across the US. They spent massive moneys to stop that particular campaign too. HRC was also a big presence in the Marriage Equality struggle. Their organization is VERY diverse, but yes they do pay a living wage, as they should.

When other org pay Lipservice, HRC sends field directors and put money behond their efforts.

I dont work for them, but have 1st hand knowledge about their commitment to addressing injustices towards our community. HRC is a FINE organization.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2013 2:59 AM

I think they do amazing work. Only a few people don't like them and that dislike is usually agenda based because they support some other organization. They just don't get HRC.

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2013 3:00 AM

They show up with their signs at marriage equality victory rallies. Give money to Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders and Lambda Legal because they actually do the work and when it's successful, HRC tries to glom on for the credit. Fuck em.

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2013 3:06 AM

DLers would whine if someone was giving them fistfuls of cash. "IS THIS ALL YOU CAN DO FOR ME?!?!?"

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2013 3:19 AM

Their defenders can never point to single thing where they took the lead. They claim "access" but mostly that means pics of handshakes with Congresscritters. There's a whole world of people like this in DC and they're far from the only "advocacy" org that mostly raises money to keep its staff paid. The new director has more of an activist background, but mostly he seems to talk and talk. Non-gay orgs like ACLU and PFAW have done far more for gay rights than HRC. If you want to submit a gay org, Lambda Legal is far more deserving.

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2013 3:21 AM

OP, check into Lambda Legal.

Also... Is there a particular area of gay rights you're most passionate about? Marriage rights? Gay youth? HIV issues? You might narrow in on an organization that way.

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2013 3:32 AM

R9, the HRC exists to make pretty gay boys with money think they are doing something about gay rights by going to expensive dinners and paying to expensive marketing campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2013 3:36 AM

Fuck you, R9. You're either one of HRC's many "serious"ly overpaid executives or you're a clueless Kool-Aid drinker who doesn't have the critical thinking skills to see through their front. Either way, I pity you but I have no patience for your bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2013 3:36 AM

Lambda Legal? Bitch, please. HRC opens doors in Congress. A lobbyist from HRC will get attention where it counts.

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2013 3:37 AM

HRC is like the Ku Klux Klan except with more lisps.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2013 3:39 AM

They're a national Gay and Lesbian rights lobby group based out of Washington DC. I know their claims extend beyond that - but really that's what they are and have been.

My own opinion is that they oversell what they do - and it creates some frustration. Speaking as someone who has lobbied extensively on a state level - it can be a thankless job. It's about gaining access. Which usually involves raising money and meeting with people you probably having little in common with.

Often you find yourself caught in the middle. On the one hand you have elected officials you are trying to get to meet with you, or even take a call. On the other hand you have constituents who are tired of you asking for money or for their time. At the end of the day you can never do enough for either group.

Volunteering for any political organization will be like that.

OP - I recommend starting off by volunteering for a local or state organization.

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2013 3:46 AM

Why does everybody hate Frank Sinatra?

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2013 3:49 AM

[quote]the HRC exists to make pretty gay boys with money think they are doing something about gay rights by going to expensive dinners and paying to expensive marketing campaigns.

If those pretty gay boys with money really want to help they should, once a month, let ugly, poor gays fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2013 3:49 AM

HRC was generally against any court suits against DOMA and the like. They preferred a state-by-state legislative approach. The didn't initially join in the suits that were recently before the Supreme Court. They joined the suits later, trying to take full credit for the winds.

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2013 3:51 AM

The HRC has a reputation of ignoring local organizations requests for help. Once a local org gets close to success on legislation HRC swoops in and claims they are responsible for the victory.

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2013 3:54 AM

Because they profit from throwing events for rich people, they are famous for patting themselves on the back and taking credit for others' achievements, yet they don't do anything for us. Also, they are transphobic.

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2013 3:55 AM

As you can see, most of the hate is really just jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2013 3:57 AM

R22 and R23 - Why don't you go ahead and share some specific examples.

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2013 3:58 AM

I contribute to litigation groups as well, but the HRC has done a major job in turning around Congress on LGBT issues. This is a real slog, and progress comes slowly, I admit. But they have the repeal of DADT under their belts, and they have also made it impossible for most congressional homophobes to keep up their once ubiquitous attacks. When you look back over the last ten years, the transformation is amazing -- far greater than I or anyone I know had expected. The HRC gets a huge amount of credit for making it socially respectable to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2013 3:59 AM

How in the world can the HRC be given (sole?) credit for DADT? And in any case, gay men and women were better off outside of the American death machine.

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2013 4:02 AM

All the organization does is serve as a war chest for the Democratic party.

HRC also has a horrible track record with trans rights.

And slightly less importantly, friends of mine volunteered at an HRC booth a few years ago and said the HRC staff acted really cold to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 12, 2013 4:04 AM

[16] CLueless like I said.

No I dont work for them, nor am i paid by them. I actually CALLED them, explained there were rightwing legal & church groups working to eliminate LGBT clause from our city charter - 1 city amongst many.

They sent organizers, money and proceeded to push back, shutting down this strategy in several cities across the US. No I dont work for them, i was a citizen of a city in which this had a serious chance of passing.

Thanks to HRC they shut that Thomas Moore Legal group out of their game. They are a very worthy organization, and have been directy responsible for ensuring LGBT rights remain viable in the US.

Some people just need to hate

by Anonymousreply 29August 12, 2013 4:33 AM

Larry Kramer told us to hate them. He might be a prick but he is usually right.

by Anonymousreply 30August 12, 2013 5:25 AM

I'm not sure, but I think I find GLAAD even more useless, self-congratulatory and offensive.

by Anonymousreply 31August 12, 2013 5:32 AM

It's the gay organizational-industrial complex. It's very corporate, sterile and gross. Absurd machinery. The fact that so much of their funds comes from Texas queens underlines this.

by Anonymousreply 32August 12, 2013 5:38 AM

Another vote for Lambda Legal. They're strategic and they WIN! The lawyers on staff are badass!

Imagine what Lambda Legal could accomplish if they had HRC's budget!

by Anonymousreply 33August 12, 2013 5:41 AM

I attended a few HRC events years ago. It was basically a networking organization for upper-class gay professionals. Really snobby and exclusionary. Not a fan of the HRC..

by Anonymousreply 34August 12, 2013 5:46 AM

Lambda Legal gets my money, too.

Rachel Maddow called out the HRC years ago on Air America. Here's the video clip of "Don't Say Gay."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2013 6:06 AM

My brother was a DFW Federal Club member so I would attend many of the functions with him as a guest. When you are a large donor, you do get carte blanche treatment and "friendships" but I find that HRC is more concerned about fundraising more than anything else.

There was a noticeable smugness among the members and Dallas is pretty snooty as it is in the gay community but this group are "The chosen ones" Ugh.. I started hating when he would ask me to got to these things so I told him that I really didn't have a fondness for these events. Anyway.. as time when on, he didn't renew (which I never did know why) and all of the sudden.. his "friends" were gone. No more calls, no one really caring about him as a person. Didn't surprise me.

I remember one thing that really stood out with me back in 2004 when W was trying to get the Federal Marriage Amendment (FMA) amended to the Constitution and it was the Log Cabin Republicans that spent the money lobbying and campaigning to put a stop to that egregious law to ban gay marriage on the federal level.

Their efforts paid off when both the U.S. House and Senate overwhelmingly rejected the constitutional amendment. My question at the time was.. where was the HRC? They may have done some great things but I am not a huge fan.

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2013 12:49 PM

HRC is a great organization that does great things. A lot of unecessary shade being thrown in this thread. A bunch of let's hate on rich and successful gays, because they're snobs kind of nonsense. If you believe that, then you really don't know what HRC is about.

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2013 1:16 PM

Thanks for all of the information, r38!

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2013 1:30 PM

When Joe Solmonese was head of HRC, his salary package was [bold]$370,000.00[/bold] and he had a staff of more than 150 full time workers. Three years ago, the HRC had a budget of $42 million.

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2013 2:04 PM

It's a riot that the people defending the HRC on this thread sound like the whiny teenage straight fangirls on a thread about their idol being gay: "don't hate," "you're just jealous," and "you're all mean and ungrateful".

That would play so very much better if there weren't so many DLers saying Lamda Legal is the effective HRC. How are DLers all whiny, hate-filled, and ungrateful for gay rights activists when a) a lot of us are gay-rights activists, and b) so many people told the OP to look into LL as a better organization?

So far, on the 'pro' side, all we have is that it has better access to politicians.

OP, my vote is Democracy for America. The director, Ashad Hasan, is gay and extremely active in marriage-rights fights, but he's/they're also working hard at the local level to effect change (that's their new strategy, to push some money into local elections so as to put more and more gay-friendly, progressive liberal people in office over time, and change policy on a macro level that way). They need both money and volunteers all the time.

p.s. I don't hate the HRC; I'm a member. I just don't give nearly as much money to them as I do to some other causes.

by Anonymousreply 40August 12, 2013 2:05 PM

HRC:

Was instrumental in removing HIV travel bans

Have worked on Transgender rights

Worked for Hate Crime legislation

Don't ask Don't Tell

Worked tirelessly on the state by state marriage campaign

And Joe's salary was perfectly in line with other high level lobbyists of his caliber. I'm not bashing lambda legal, but I don't think a bunch of aging hippies and hipsters in JCPenney suits, when or if they ever wear suits, are going to get any attention from Congress. Joe was high profile and well connected. He deserved every penny, in fact, he was probably underpaid given that he lived in DC.

by Anonymousreply 41August 12, 2013 2:32 PM

r42 really says it all, and he offers the best point-by-point argument for choosing another organization like Lambda Legal over HRC.

by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2013 2:45 PM

Some of the scenarios above where HRC jumps into the fray at the last minute to take credit for change fit right in with the era when Solmonese was the posh president of HRC. Since he has been gone, there has been a vast turnaround.

They're getting into marriage equality in the various states at the ground floor level. They also were quick to jump into the fray with Russia soon after Harvey Fierstein posted his guest editorial in the NY Times. The new guy seems more interested in getting things done than putting his name out there as the posh leader of the gays. The fact that I don't know even know the new guy's name but know their latest actions says a lot about how things have changed. I'm still holding back on donations for awhile just to see if they stay on this new track.

by Anonymousreply 43August 12, 2013 2:47 PM

R42 - I'm sure the folks at HRC are delighted that you have come to their defense. Especially your comments about Lambda Legal.

Can you post us a link to pictures of the aging hipsters in JC Penny suits?

You make an excellent point as to one of the problems people have with lobbyists. They often end up disappointing their constituents with compromises.

HRC was involved with creating and implementing Don't Ask Don't Tell - I believe they worked closely with the Clinton White House and Barney Frank to craft the policy.

Also when ENDA was first introduced in the 1990s they agreed to drop transgender from the bill.

by Anonymousreply 44August 12, 2013 2:49 PM

I've been around many, many, many LGBT organizations. They are ALL fucked up, crazy scenes that are a mere reflection of ourselves, our economy and our society. Result-oriented periods are fleeting, and are usually created by small WORKING (not talking, not fundraising, WORKING) groups usually in an orgs infancy.

Crow all you want, the media and kitchen table conversations are what are changing hearts and minds in this country. Being the ones with the stomach to gladhand politicians on one hand while reinforcing the American High School of social values – status consciousness, unnecessary building purchases and general ineffective lavish spending for social display, and that's just the top line – is just being a mere cog in a socio-cultural wheel. This role is not anywhere near being worth the self-congratulation and hype.

Anyone who denies and defends these orgs – down to the well-meaning, naive people who send their checks in the mail without giving their operations a deeper look – is part of the machine and afraid to confront this ridiculousness and waste for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2013 2:52 PM

One of the biggest hustles around. They raise money to promote THEMSELVES.

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2013 2:53 PM

HRC exists because straight political America needs a go-to group for LGBT issues. That's why in every undeserved photo op about gay rights successes there is the fucking HRC.

HRC means more to non LGBT people and their own members, who coopt the HRC glory of the HRC coopted glory of the entire gay populace, more than regular gays.

That which is HRC lies between Oh,Mary! and Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 47August 12, 2013 3:00 PM

The HRC defenders on this thread say everything about why everybody hates the HRC.

by Anonymousreply 48August 12, 2013 3:04 PM

While I worked with the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network for the repeal of DADT, I didn't realize that HRC helped craft DADT during the Clinton administration.

If HRC helped craft DADT, then gays in the military owe HRC their thanks for that. The DADT policy was a huge relief to all gays on active duty. Anyone who "blames" Clinton or HRC for DADT is a jackass.

Prior to DADT, any member of the armed forces suspected of being gay would be followed by undercover people from the intelligence division. The undercover people would hang out in gay bars in towns where there were military bases in the hope they could find a gay in the military to have him/her kicked out of the service. While Clinton was prevented from getting gays to serve openly, DADT was a major improvement over the previous rules. It stopped all the intel agents from tracking gay "suspects." That was a great relief for all who served under previous rules and was a step in the right direction.

by Anonymousreply 49August 12, 2013 3:11 PM

Fuck you,R50. I can't believe you wrote that.

by Anonymousreply 50August 12, 2013 3:41 PM

HRC is very bizarre about contributions. Like all groups, they are dependent on them, and if you have made a past contribution, they badger you constantly (and aggressively) about keeping up those donations. However, if the person they are looking for isn't home, they don't identify who's calling, or even try to leave a message (I call that passive) and go away with "OK, I'll try again at a better time," without trying to determine when that better time might be. Something is weird about their schizophrenic approach.

by Anonymousreply 51August 12, 2013 3:47 PM

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many responses! Thank you guys for your opinions. I can understand where a lot of the frustration is coming from - lack of any perceived progress, feeling that it's exclusionary, that's it's more "for straight people," etc.

However, I find it a little hard to believe that they are completely worthless as many of the guys who don't like HRC claim. Personally, growing up in a fairly conservative suburb and then coming to the bay area, and seeing that big equal sign plastered everywhere both on campus in college and in the city was a big relief for me. The symbolism in social media and facebook of the red equal sign in the weeks before DOMA was struck down was also a really great feeling of solidarity for me, especially when I saw my straight friends post the red equal sign as well. It told me that even if we never had a conversation about being gay, they were supportive. Just sharing my own personal brief but powerful connection I have with the organization.

Also, I don't have that much of an issue against the head of HRC being paid a high salary, as long as they are doing their job. I am extremely grateful that in my 20's, I am able to live in a time and place where gay marriage is actually legal and generally accepted, and am quite amazed at how much progress gay rights has made. This might be a function of me growing up sheltered in conservative suburbia, but growing up I never thought it would come this far.

Some of you have mentioned other organizations besides HRC that you support, like Lambda Legal or Democracy for America. For those of you who don't like HRC, to whom do you give credit to for the recent progress in gay rights? I would love to know, because I literally have very little knowledge on the people behind the progress, I just know that progress has been made.

by Anonymousreply 52August 12, 2013 3:54 PM

Up yours, USAF Officer. You're obviously too stupid to know the horrors that gays endured in the military prior to DADT. It's not surprising that it would be someone from the USAF who is totally unaware of what DADT replaced and how it was an improvement over the old system. At EUCOM HQ I would always dread having to work with anyone from the air farce.

by Anonymousreply 53August 12, 2013 3:58 PM

OP, how much money does that symbolism cost? Definitely not as much as their annual budget. say what you will about the rest, but HRC is bloated.

I say go for direct services for LGBT folks, like your local center, The Trevor Project, health clinics, drug/alcohol-related charities, even things like your local gay chorus or softball team. These things make us better and heal up the crap the world throws at us. These days, I think LGBT people whose lives work makes more of a difference than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 54August 12, 2013 4:08 PM

OP, seeing all those equal signs is what HRC does best--marketing and projecting an image.

Slapping a HRC sticker on your car or the red equal signs prior to the Supreme Court decision was nothing more than a marketing campaign.

What I find most dishonest about the red equal sign is that HRC absolutely did not want people filing those lawsuits.

I give credit to the progress that has been made to those who have the courage to file those lawsuits. I also give credit to Lambda Legal who has been doing much of the legal work behind them.

by Anonymousreply 55August 12, 2013 4:08 PM

Gee whiz most of these post are clueless. They are not perfect, but they have been effective. Lamda Legal is not perfect, Empire State Pride is not perfect etc etc. When the work together they get things done.

HRC event are NOT rich or pretty boys- yes those who go to the event tend to be those who can afford them, and occasional dates- but this is true of any charitable organization or activist group.

Some of you seem to be angrt because you don't like that donors tend to have extra money. Well whatta ya know.

Some of you think they are "greedy" because they keep asking for money. Well, I give a litte money away to several groups, political and activist alike, and receive via email about 25 requests a day for money. I receive about 25 slow mail request per week as well.

That's just the way it is in the world of charity, philanthropy and actism if you are even an occasional donor.

HRC has done great work. They have had their problems, usually due to the personalities of their boards, but isn't that the case with any organization.

Lots of cluelss posts on this thread from angry jealous posters it seems. By the way, working for HRC is NOT a way to get rich.

by Anonymousreply 56August 12, 2013 4:22 PM

HRC was dead to me once they endorsd Alfonse D'Amato over Chuck Schumer.

by Anonymousreply 57August 12, 2013 4:23 PM

HRC is way overrated. They truly are the least useful of the gay rights groups.

by Anonymousreply 58August 12, 2013 5:03 PM

Joe Solmonese was also a big fan of nepotism while he ran HRC. Your donations helped pay the salaries of friends that he hired to "work" there.

by Anonymousreply 59August 12, 2013 5:09 PM

By the way - the impressions discussed on this thread are a nice summary of why the HRC board fired Solmonese.

by Anonymousreply 60August 12, 2013 5:11 PM

Sounds like a bunch whiners who are pissed off that they either couldn't afford or weren't worthy enough to get an invite to an HRC event. Sorry boys.

by Anonymousreply 61August 12, 2013 5:15 PM

[quote]hard to believe that they are completely worthless

Only a few people are arguing that they are completely worthless. However, there are many other organizations which are far more effective, if less slick and marketable, and where you can be more confident that donated time and money go directly to helping the cause of gay rights. Such orgs have been listed on this thread many times, and their actual accomplishments are verifiable. (not just: "this great thing happened and HRC happens to exist at the same time, and therefore obviously deserves the credit").

That was your question, OP. If you're determined to volunteer for HRC, knock yourself out. You could do worse, I suppose, but you can also do much, much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 12, 2013 5:23 PM

r62 also does a nice job of effectively summarizing why HRC should be avoided.

by Anonymousreply 63August 12, 2013 5:24 PM

When I was little, my grandmother told me that a man who makes $100 a year and donates $30, is a better man than someone who makes a million a year and donates 1K.

That's why people hate the HRC.

Of all the gay organizations they probably have the most power to actually DO something, and they always choose NOT to. Joe Solomnese was being paid into the 1% for doing nothing. And why would he want to do anything? If he actually did his job, then he would end up with no job and no yearly salary, so he never did shit.

I worked on Prop 8 in Cali an No on 1 in Maine, and during both times, I noticed other SMALLER and POORER organizations would send more volunteers and for longer periods of time than the HRC did, and that rocked my mind.

Then I also remember the March on Washington in 2009, and how I enjoyed being there and seeing all these different types of groups together. It felt like all different types of gay people were coming together for a common cause. All the gay organizations planned events through that weekend. Those events would be free an all inclusive. Not with the HRC though. All their events had high prices and only the 1% of elite gays expressed their opinions. I was invited to that event and attended. The most "inspiring" thing that happened was Lady Gaga giving a performance and a speech about how if we wore meat as underwear we'd get out rights. All the gays at that party complained about how close-minded most homophobes are. They would then tell me about how they only go to gay restaurants, gay bars, gay vacation destinations, gay events, gay everything and only gay things.

At events held by other organizations people actually conversed about real issues like the tension btw black, mormom, and gay communities since prop8. People told different stories of struggle and how hardships would help them overcome. At the HRC event, it was all about going on facebook and bragging about how you're a gay rights activist who is fighting for gay rights by going to Lady Gaga concerts where poor people aren't allowed.

by Anonymousreply 64August 12, 2013 5:47 PM

R50, speak for yourself. There certainly were investigations and people getting kicked out under DADT, and my old chain of command made damn sure I knew about it. They bragged about discovering and kicking out gay people. You are spreading bullshit propaganda to make it seem line the HRC made progress for people in the military! All that DADT did was give more specific definition of suspicious "behaviors" that would remove the possibility of continued service or an honorable discharge. DADT did not make gay people a protected class. I dont know how many Equal Opportunity surveys that left out the #1 reason someone would get harassed or treated differently. I was spotted holding hands with my girlfriend and had many sleepless nights over it. How is that an improvement?

by Anonymousreply 65August 12, 2013 6:02 PM

R50 has no idea what he's talking about. R66 is right on the money.

by Anonymousreply 66August 12, 2013 6:09 PM

I have a friend who apparently gives money who wears their t-shirts out in public. I cringe every time.

by Anonymousreply 67August 12, 2013 6:15 PM

[quote]I was spotted holding hands with my girlfriend

Well there you go. Typical of an air farce lesbian.

They didn't "ask" but you sure did "tell." Why didn't you just wave a rainbow flag while holding hands with your girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 68August 12, 2013 6:17 PM

R66, it is an improvement!

I mean, maybe not for you or other normal gays like you, but elite gays did just well with DADT!

by Anonymousreply 69August 12, 2013 6:49 PM

R50 - I'm sure the over 12,000 service men and women kicked out of the military under DADT don't share your opinion.

Maybe you have some actual evidence you would like to share about how much better life was for Gays in the military under DADT.

by Anonymousreply 70August 12, 2013 7:54 PM

Wow, the HRC supporters sure do sound like complete assholes! I love it. Keep "supporting," fellas!

by Anonymousreply 71August 12, 2013 8:23 PM

Well the good news is that we gained a lot of ground WITHOUT THEM - so they can keep having their little dinners and inviting the boring A Gays that nobody really likes anyway while we continue to do the actual work.

by Anonymousreply 72August 12, 2013 8:36 PM

[quote]Well there you go. Typical of an air farce lesbian.

[Quote]They didn't "ask" but you sure did "tell." Why didn't you just wave a rainbow flag while holding hands with your girlfriend.

I'm not in the Air Force, I am an active duty corpsman with the Marines. Have fun insulting the military on the Internet, though. It's probably thrilling for you. I bet it's really nice being able to do that never having to worry about getting shelled.

by Anonymousreply 73August 12, 2013 11:41 PM

Where are they on Sochi 2014? Hmm?

by Anonymousreply 74August 12, 2013 11:48 PM

[quote]HRC was generally against any court suits against DOMA and the like. They preferred a state-by-state legislative approach. The didn't initially join in the suits that were recently before the Supreme Court. They joined the suits later, trying to take full credit for the winds.

link?

by Anonymousreply 75August 15, 2013 9:03 PM

I'm seeing next to nothing proving HRC is a horrible organization. Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 76August 15, 2013 9:07 PM

Lamda and the ACLU are the organizations that actually provide the lawyers to get us our rights in court.

There a few others, but without Lamda, we would still have practically no legal rights at all.

by Anonymousreply 77August 15, 2013 9:37 PM

What are they doing about Sochi?

by Anonymousreply 78August 15, 2013 9:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!