Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Queen Latifah Won't Discuss Sexuality, Her Personal Life On New Talk Show

Audiences will see yet another side of Queen Latifah when her new daytime talk show hits the airwaves next month. Just don't expect the singer-rapper-actress to address those longstanding rumors she's a lesbian on TV.

Queen Latifah tells the Hollywood Reporter she is not prepared to talk about her sexuality on "The Queen Latifah Show," which is currently set for a Sept. 16 debut.

"I don't feel the need to discuss my private life on this show or any other show," the 43-year-old star told the magazine's Marisa Guthrie. "There's the part of my life that the public and I share together. And there's the part that's mine to keep for myself. And that's mine. For me."

The Academy Award-nominated performer's private life has been the source of ample media speculation for some time. In 2012, she reportedly addressed the crowd at a Long Beach, Calif. LGBT Pride event as "my people" during a much-buzzed-about performance, causing many in the audience to believe that she had come out, according to The Advocate.

But she quickly shot down those reports in a subsequent interview with Entertainment Weekly. "I’ve never dealt with the question of my personal life in public," she said at the time. "It’s just not gonna happen.”

She offered similar sentiments four years earlier to The New York Times. "I don’t have a problem discussing the topic of somebody being gay, but I do have a problem discussing my personal life," she said in 2008. "I don’t care if people think I’m gay or not. Assume whatever you want. You do it anyway.”

by Miareply 7109/21/2013

Just remember, if she had a husband and kids she'd never shut up about them, girls!

by Miareply 108/11/2013

[quote]I don’t have a problem discussing the topic of somebody being gay, but I do have a problem discussing my personal life,

She has a problem discussing her personal [GAY] life.

by Miareply 208/11/2013

I like this show!

by Miareply 308/11/2013

What a fucking wimp. You won't discuss something everyone already knows?

Don't expect gays to watch your show then.

by Miareply 408/11/2013

[quote]Just remember, if she had a husband and kids she'd never shut up about them, girls!

Exactly. Of course she wouldn't keep a husband a secret. Celebrities don't want to keep "their private lives private", that's bullshit, they just don't want people to know they are gay.

by Miareply 508/11/2013

Excuse you. She was planning on coming out at a Pride Festival last year, it was in the news but people ridiculed her with "What took so long?" and "Who cares?" comments.

Maybe you should have been nicer. I don't blame her for saying screw you. What support would you really give her anyway?

by Miareply 608/11/2013

I hope she plays up a fake straight crush on a celeb guy like Rosie used to with Tommie Cruise.

by Miareply 708/11/2013

I'm sure her show will be just as boring as it would be if she was discussing her personal life.

by Miareply 808/11/2013

A distaff Anderson Cooper.

by Miareply 908/11/2013

[quote]What support would you really give her anyway?

Probably a big girdle. She's a full figured gal!

by Miareply 1008/11/2013

I think Dana has had a tumultuous love life and that's why she doesn't want to go there. She hasn't managed to keep a steady partner like her other power lesbian counterparts. From what I can tell she's a chronic cheater.

by Miareply 1108/11/2013

Did Dana ever munch the rug known as Whitney?

by Miareply 1208/11/2013

R7= closeted frau.

by Miareply 1308/11/2013

R8, I don't think Rosie was lying; I'm a gay guy who had crushes on Kate Jackson and Lindsay Wagner.

by Miareply 1408/11/2013

We all know this new Latifah talk show is not going to make it.

by Miareply 1508/11/2013

[quote]Just remember, if she had a husband and kids she'd never shut up about them, girls!

EXACTLY!

Whenever a star says that, you know he/she is gay. I'm all for more modesty and restraint and not all stars/celebs talk their heads off about their families/spouses but they don't shun the subject completely either.

by Miareply 1608/11/2013

How will people address her when they speak to her on the show? "Queen"? "Latifah"? "Dana"? "Your Majesty"?

by Miareply 1708/11/2013

We need some gay male talk show hosts. Every single one of the talk show daytime people is a lez.

by Miareply 1808/11/2013

[quote]"I don't feel the need to discuss my private life on this show or any other show."

Can't she come up with something more original than repeating ancient lines from glass closet people like Kevin Spacey, Anderson Cooper, James Franco, etc.

by Miareply 1908/11/2013

[quote]We need some gay male talk show hosts. Every single one of the talk show daytime people is a lez.

You're right. We knew Blanderson would fail because he's so stuck up and snotty.

The funny thing is that in the UK there are several gay men with talk shows, but there aren't any in the US (I don't consider that disgrace Andy Cohen a talk show host) and that's on cable anyway.

by Miareply 2008/11/2013

She will come out when the ratings are tanking. The suits will demand it for a quick ratings boost.

by Miareply 2108/11/2013

I have absolutely no desire to know anything about this fat bitch's sex life. There, I said it!

by Miareply 2208/11/2013

I'm betting better hung than Bea Arthur.

by Miareply 2308/11/2013

Well, there was Nate Berkus, so bland he makes Anderson seem like a habanero in comparison.

by Miareply 2408/11/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Miareply 2508/11/2013

I know Anderson's sloppy show was cancelled. Did Jeff Probst lose his too?

And I've read plenty on here about how Michael Strahan is gay or bi.

There are always the men of The Chew to rep daytime for the gays.

by Miareply 2608/11/2013

R7 is sooooo fulllll of shitttttt.

by Miareply 2708/11/2013

Like Rosie had her crush on Tommie, maybe Queen Latifah can have a crush on Tyler Perry.

Or if Oprah's got exclusive dibs on Tyler, then I agree with r26. Shemar Moore would be a good object of her desire.

by Miareply 2808/11/2013

It must be a lesbian thing no matter if they're in or out. Ellen did it on her talk show with George Clooney.

by Miareply 2908/11/2013

I was thinking Usher.

by Miareply 3008/11/2013

Rosie talked all about her personal life. Don't think a single show went by where one or more of her kids weren't mentioned.

Yet Rosie always neglected to mention one TINY detail. She wasn't raising these kids as a single mom. She was raising them with a partner, a female partner.

And Anderson for the first season of his show, prior to coming out, talked in detail about all sorts of personal things, but again neglected to mention his partner was a man.

So, Queen Latifah will be in good company and will have a clear roadmap set up for how to host a talk show without mentioning her sexuality.

by Miareply 3108/11/2013

Please, even the blind can see from space that she's a lesbian. Plus I heard she pees standing up.

by Miareply 3208/11/2013

Hasn't she been with her "personal trainer" Jeanette Jenkins for years? They're photographed together all the time, yet QL never slims down...

by Miareply 3308/11/2013

r34 I thought she broke up with Jeanette a while ago.

by Miareply 3408/11/2013

r34

She's her... friend. That's her friend

by Miareply 3508/11/2013

Who on earth decided to give her ANOTHER talk show after the first one flopped? Makes no sense whatsoever.

by Miareply 3608/11/2013

She dumped Jeanette ages ago. Now talk about someone who should have a show, it should be Jeanette. She's awesome & upbeat.

by Miareply 3708/11/2013

r38 = Jeanette

by Miareply 3808/11/2013

What's interesting is that this is such a massive PR failure. If it was just an interview about what the show was GOING to feature, nobody would have raised an eyebrow. But by singling out sexuality as what she WON'T talk about, it signals to everyone that Latifah likes Labia. Can't understand why she's been given another show either--she's about as warm as a grizzly bear (and just slightly less hairy) and especially after the massive flop of Ricki Lake, it doesn't seem there's much interest in resurrecting someone else from the talk show grave yard.

by Miareply 3908/11/2013

Her show will fail, just like her first talk show, which was a HUGE flop. She must have an enormous ego if she thinks this one is going to be any better?

But, hopefully this career move means she has given up on her delusional dreams of becoming a serious actress.

by Miareply 4008/11/2013

How will she even manage this? Being closeted is tough work, and it creates mountains of anxiety. But how can you be a talk show host, and not mention - at all - your personal life? Or referencing your sexuality AT ALL? It would be awkward, no?

by Miareply 4108/11/2013

She should stick to what she's good at. Hosting those phony award shows like the People's Choice Awards.

by Miareply 4208/11/2013

The failure should free her to do Hello, Dolly! in the regions.

by Miareply 4308/11/2013

Why cant Wanda, Latifah, and Raven Symone team up for a reality show on Bravo about being black lesbians in Hollywood?? Im thinking R&B Divas, full on lesbian style. I would watch that instead of this talk show.

by Miareply 4408/11/2013

It worked for Charles Nelson Reilly and Paul Lynde. Why not Latifah?

by Miareply 4508/11/2013

R46, because it's not the 1960's anymore.

She really doesn't have to worry though. The track record of recent celebrity-hosted talk shows is pretty dismal. So she'll only need to be closeted an extra month or two.

She and Ms. Arsenio can console each other in a few months.

by Miareply 4608/11/2013

[quote]But how can you be a talk show host, and not mention - at all - your personal life? Or referencing your sexuality AT ALL? It would be awkward, no?

Are you totally unaware of the entire first year of Anderson Cooper's talk show?

by Miareply 4708/11/2013

I HOPE her show fails. I can't stand that closet case bitch. It's one thing to lie about who you are but it quite another to throw actual disdain for gay people into the mix. Fuck the bitch.

by Miareply 4808/11/2013

I agree. All of these closet cases should not be supported in any way. They are doing a disservice for gays.

by Miareply 4908/11/2013

[quote]But how can you be a talk show host, and not mention - at all - your personal life? Or referencing your sexuality AT ALL? It would be awkward, no?

You'd be surprised!

by Miareply 5008/11/2013

So she won't discuss HER personal life, but she's going to expect her guests to do so? Hypocrisy much?

by Miareply 5108/12/2013

She's boring. Queen Latifah needs to pack it up. I hope she saved enough money.

by Miareply 5208/12/2013

I have a rule of not watching "talk show hosts" (and I use that term loosely) who are more than happy to be nosey about other peoples' lives but don't want to discuss their own. Hypocritical.

by Miareply 5308/12/2013

She down with OPP!

by Miareply 5408/12/2013

She won't even make it through a full season.

by Miareply 5508/12/2013

C'mon, it was Ellen, who was out by the way, who sort of "in-ed'" during the first couple of seasons of her talk show. There were threads upon threads about it on DL. She was rebuilding her brand and appealing to housewives. Rosie didn't talk about being gay. Anderson Cooper had to be dragged out of the closet and then became the fucking policeman of gaytown. I'm not defending anybody or condoning the closet, just saying that this is nothing new or special.

by Miareply 5608/12/2013

[quote]Anderson Cooper had to be dragged out of the closet and then became the fucking policeman of gaytown.

He's getting a lot of jobs these days. He was a sherrif yesterday and last week he was dubbed king of the gays.

by Miareply 5708/12/2013

The more she talks about why she doesn't talk about her sexuality or why it doesn't matter the she talks herself out of the closet and looks foolish doing it. Denial just makes a person's sexuality appear shameful to those who want to use it against them. Nothing is as liberating and validating as claiming yourself. It renders critics powerless.

The promo for Latifah's talk show states that it's a place where everyone can be themselves...ironic.

by Miareply 5808/12/2013

I think Laqueefah should invite Janet Jackson on and the conversation can go like this:

"Janet, tell us about the daughter you gave away."

"Sure, but first Dana, tell us about the pussy you like to slurp."

Then we'd have 60 minutes of silence.

by Miareply 5908/14/2013

Didn't she sign up to be a Jenny Craig role model? What happened with that? She doesn't look thinned out to me.

by Miareply 6008/14/2013

Re Anderson

[quote]He's getting a lot of jobs these days. He was a sherrif yesterday and last week he was dubbed king of the gays.

So he's been deposed as king and then demoted from sheriff to officer?

Oh, the humanatee.

by Miareply 6108/14/2013

I will NOT discuss labial matters on my talk show.

by Miareply 6208/15/2013

Latifah's stint with Jenny went belly up cuz she refused to lose weight. Her whole campaign was health-and-confidence-at-any-size. You can see why this might pose a problem for a weight loss company. Jenny Craig gave it a spin but it failed miserably. Thiswas just another example of Latifah imposing her desired image against her realistic image and again, she just ended looking ridiculous.

by Miareply 6308/15/2013

You wonder how Jenny Craig stays in business with such huge failures like Queen Latifah and Kirstie Alley. Obesity will forever be part of the lives of both women.

by Miareply 6408/15/2013

I think Latifa looks good and she will never be skinny.

by Miareply 6508/15/2013

"I don't feel the need to discuss my private life on this show or any other show,"

Well why say anything at all then? Dumb bitch. You've just said it. I was willing to cut her some slack since she seemed like a glass closet, but not if she comes out with bullshit like this. Don't be a celebrity then.

It's not as if she's this great character actor with mystique, her public friendliness is her schtick, especially doing a fucking talk show.

by Miareply 6609/21/2013

Not only won't she discuss her personal life, she'll be sure to help closeted actors to move deeper into their closets. She's just one big fake.

by Miareply 6709/21/2013

Boycott her show.

by Miareply 6809/21/2013

R68 & R69 I agree; we should boycott this trash. Closet cases helping other closet cases stay closeted. It's people like this why there aren't more out celebs.

by Miareply 6909/21/2013

R70, I'll boycott everything about her: her show, products, magazines - everything. I'll boycott the network she is on too.

by Miareply 7009/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.