Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Disco

I think it was a uniquely 70s thing, but was it in reaction to something?

by Anonymousreply 12612/26/2014

"...was it in reaction to something?"

Well there was that huge overproduction of polyester jumpsuits and glitter in 1970.

by Anonymousreply 108/10/2013

Disco music grew out of the urban dance clubs populated by blacks, gays, Latinos, Italian-Americans, and other minorities, and was a reaction against straight, white, male-dominated rock music and folksy, country-tinged pop music that dominated the airwaves at the time. It was definitely a uniquely '70s thing because it was a time of experimentation, and many musicians were experimenting with different sounds and genres at the time (perhaps influenced by their drugs of choice), in reaction to what was playing on the radio -- disco, glam, punk, metal, etc.

by Anonymousreply 208/10/2013

[quote]I think it was a uniquely 70s thing

Yeah, dance music died in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 308/10/2013

Disco "evolved" into techno. Both the music of choice for the gay youth.

by Anonymousreply 408/11/2013

It was a reaction to good taste, dear, they wanted to get rid of it.

by Anonymousreply 508/11/2013

Disco was called dance music around '83 or so due to the cheesy, camp stigma of the late 70s disco "scene"

Madonna's self titled debut in 1983 is a disco album through and through

by Anonymousreply 608/11/2013

It was a reaction to the white bread Midwestern middle class music that was pervasive at the time. At Old Comiskey Park, they had all these angry white people have a death to disco day and blew up tons of disco records. Corporate rock was the order of the day and it was a veritable snoozefest of the highest order.

by Anonymousreply 708/11/2013

That is so true R7.

by Anonymousreply 808/11/2013

Disco is coming back, baby! It means we're about 10 years from the recession being over.

by Anonymousreply 908/11/2013

The sound updated post-I Feel Love after synth pop came in with Gary Numan etc to have less strings like classic disco. There were still Salsoul records in the early 80s that stayed faithful to the original sound such as "Love Sensation".

Techno is an often misused term, a lot of Americans don't know their own dance hetitage and it was adapted more by other countries post-disco backlash. Techno started with Detroit techno which while a splinter of disco (more I Feel Love electronic disco) is the most extreme variation.

House is the true successor to disco as it draws heavily from, and samples old disco records. Other sub-genres like hi-nrg, electro, italo disco and freestyle were precursors that evolved into house.

by Anonymousreply 1008/11/2013

Disco didn't just appear. There were precursors - the string-laden Philadelphia sound, Motown etc.

As mentioned, it morphed into something else - electro, house, Hi-NRG etc.

by Anonymousreply 1108/11/2013

It was a reaction to the fact that in the 1970s there was still such a thing as social dancing. People liked to get together in a group and dance to good music. It wasn't just a way to pick up people you wanted to have sex with, though that was certainly part of it. People enjoyed dancing, liked to learn new ways of dancing, and show off their skill at it. Discos were nightclubs where you went to dance. "Disco" was short of "discotheque," which was a club where they played recorded music rather than having live bands.

by Anonymousreply 1208/11/2013

Can those with expertise and the other genres listed in r10 's list give us some obscure disco artists to listen to, other than the "standard" disco songs that we all know? I want to learn more but my search on the internet is not helping.

by Anonymousreply 1308/11/2013

I should add that social dancing wasn't new--people have been dancing as a form of entertainment and exercise for millennia. It's only been the last couple of decades that Americans haven't been interested in dancing for fun except maybe teenagers at proms perfunctorily grinding their asses into each other in preparation for fucking in the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 1408/11/2013

[quote] Can those with expertise and the other genres listed in [R10] 's list give us some obscure disco artists to listen to, other than the "standard" disco songs that we all know? I want to learn more but my search on the internet is not helping.

Get one of the "David Mancuso presents The Loft" compilations. They may be out of print on CD but available on iTunes or elsewhere. It will give you a good idea what kind of dance music was played during the early days of disco before it went mainstream. Also, any of the Larry Levan Paradise Garage compilations are worth seeking out.

by Anonymousreply 1508/11/2013

Paradise Garage was the REAL disco, not the mainstream Village People/Disco Duck bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1608/11/2013

I feel ya R16

by Anonymousreply 1708/11/2013

I like the records produced by Patrick Adams. Here are a few to check out on Youtube:

Musique - "Keep On Jumpin'," "In The Bush"

Bumblebee Unlimited - "Lady Bug," "I Got A Big Bee"

Universal Robot Band - "Dance & Shake Your Tambourine," "Barely Breaking Even"

Phreek - "I'm A Big Freak"

Cloud One - "Flying High," "Disco Juice"

Not sure if Bohannon, Patrick Cowley, Instant Funk, or Bunny Sigler are considered obscure today, but they had some great music too.

My favorite disco jam of all time is Pam Todd's "Let's Get Together" - see link

by Anonymousreply 1808/11/2013

Disco of the 70's is the exact same thing as dance music today. Disco never died. They just changed the name to protect the innocent.

by Anonymousreply 1908/11/2013

Heartbeat by Taana Gardner is one of the best.

by Anonymousreply 2008/11/2013

The box set "An Introduction To Disco" (2010) balances the well-known with the more obscure.

by Anonymousreply 2108/11/2013

Excellent r18 and r15, I was going to say we should do another disco youtube thread. I don't know some of those, so brilliant. Agree with the sampled to death Taana Gardner.

I'll be back to add more but for now this one is a typically way ahead of the time Moroder production from 1979, a proto-house record to my ears. It comes from the "disco discharge" series of albums which I can't recommend enough that are on amazon.co.uk.

Also out now in the wake of Daft Punk are great compilations from Chic/Nile Rogers covering most of his best disco productions and one from Giorgio Moroder.

Also check the defunct Disco Delivery site which will give you ideas, even if the mp3s are down. Then as well as Disco Discharge, there's a label that reissues classic disco albums, they put out the Three Degrees remasters. As for other artists, there's a whole lot more to the pioneering gay singer Sylvester than "Mighty Real".

by Anonymousreply 2208/11/2013

I would also suggest listening to Donna Summer's album tracks. Everybody knows her singles stuff like "Bad Girls," "Hot Stuff" etc. but the album tracks were more hard disco stuff. Excellent production values. The Once Upon A Time album is a good starting point.

by Anonymousreply 2308/11/2013

Not true, R20. True disco necessitated an entire orchestra; "dance music" is produced by computers.

by Anonymousreply 2408/11/2013

The 1979 Disco Demolition, was the day Disco died. The final nail in the coffin was the 1980 disco movie "Can't Stop the Music" which opened to crickets.

by Anonymousreply 2508/11/2013

Some of my uplifting faves:

Teri DeSario - Ain't Nothing Gonna Keep Me From You

Patrice Rushen - Haven't You Heard

Diana Ross - Lovin' Livin' and Givin' (Diana Deluxe is one of the best reissues ever)

France Joli - Come to Me

Sharon Redd - In the Name of Love

KC and the Sunshine Band - Give it Up (post-disco but my fave of his)

by Anonymousreply 2608/11/2013

Yup r23, the electronic suite at the end of Bad Girls (nice deluxe version of that) is stunning.

The album tracks are better and less played out, can't stand Hot Stuff. Working the Midnight Shift/Now I Need You may be the finest thing she ever did.

by Anonymousreply 2708/11/2013

"social dancing"????

as opposed to... nonsocial dancing?

by Anonymousreply 2808/11/2013

Disco sucked. It was all about being glamorous, good looking, well dressed, esp. for men.

by Anonymousreply 2908/11/2013

r29

No, it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 3008/11/2013

r30, yes, it was. If you weren't a hunk you didn't fit in. Rock was an alternative to that in the post-counterculture '70s.

by Anonymousreply 3108/12/2013

[quote]Can those with expertise and the other genres listed in [[R10]] 's list give us some obscure disco artists to listen to, other than the "standard" disco songs that we all know?

Here are some great playlists by DJ Wuakeen that mix disco with hi-NRG (electronic music featuring a high number of beats per minute, 130 and above).

Just click the red button on your favorite list.

by Anonymousreply 3208/12/2013

Disco, just like the girl group movement of the early sixties, was dominated by talented and hungry producers who employed fairly interchangeable studio voices. The vocals were considered another instrument in the layers of the final product. Giorgio Moroder, Barry White, Alec Constandinos, Jacques Morali, Vincent Montana Jr.(Salsoul), Nile Rodgers/Bernard Edwards, and many others supplied the sounds, even if the songs themselves were sometimes written by the artists (as was the case with Donna Summer and the lead singer of The Village People) or if the producers themselves were the singers (White, KC).

Realizing what a cash cow producing disco music had become, eventually already famous artists (The Bee Gees, The Jacksons) jumped in the production bandwagon as well. KC and the Sunshine band could probably be singled out, along with Barry White, as full-package acts (from composing to producing to performing) that were born from the pre-disco movement.

That's not to say some acts didn't achieve stardom through their work with successful producers. Donna Summer - initially sold as a sex goddess (whom Moroder tried hard to keep as such, focusing on her falsetto)- happened to have an incredible, versatile, yet easily identifiable voice. The Village People, basically a novelty act cast with go-go dancers and chorus boys, were able to ride the gay train. And some soulful vocalists (Gloria Gaynor, Viola Wills, Evelyn Champagne King) were given a chance to shine while they charted.

Of course, when the cash registers started dancing along, every already established recording star from the Bee Gees to Johnny Mathis, from Diana Ross to Cher, from Paul McCartney to the Rolling Stones, had to issue out a disco album or at least a recording. But to catch the true disco sound, you need to look for the producers - same applies to its derivatives.

r13, this link should provide you with all the information ever on record about disco and its derivatives, including song titles, artists, producers, and famous clubs

by Anonymousreply 3308/12/2013

Disco never died, it just evolved. Just ask New Order, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Madonna or the Pet Shop Boys. Disco just changed it's name a few times to earn some respect. Rap/hip-hop wouldn't even exist without German acts Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream. There was electro-euro-techno-dance music before the disco era, during the disco era and after the disco era.

by Anonymousreply 3408/12/2013

There are people who still refer to Madonna as a "disco artist" insted of pop, because most of her music is a straight up update of the "disco sound".

by Anonymousreply 3508/12/2013

Here's an Italo-Disco classic from Cerrone. Daft Punk are heavily influenced by this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3608/12/2013

R1 An escapist reaction to a terrible economy, high inflation, generalized malaise. The "New York" article that inspired "Saturday Night Fever" might give you a look into the times. Disco followed "Saturday Night Fever" - you can't overestimate the impact that movie and soundtrack had.

"Disco Sucks": if music and radio was all-Macarena or all-Lambada for a couple of years, you might see a similar backlash. Disco was music to dance, like salsa, not roadtrip music

Ethel Merman had a disco album: it was a fad that oversaturated pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 3708/12/2013

Another Italo-Disco classic. Sampled countless times (most Kano songs have been...they were truly brilliant and ahead of their time). Modern electro and house music would not exist without disco. Like all genres, it had its good and bad. But the best is still highly listenable.

by Anonymousreply 3808/12/2013

[quote]Disco followed "Saturday Night Fever"

Maybe the disco pop culture craze did (news, fashion, mainstream tastes, etc.), but disco music was very well established by the time the first frame of SNF was shot.

by Anonymousreply 3908/12/2013

R39 Yep, the music and dancing already existed - that was the scene the "Tony Manero" article chronicled.

But generally people are talking the whole disco/Studio 54 pop culture moment, rather than the inside-baseball (to mix a metaphor...likely for the first time) of disco-music records.

Kevin Bacon has mentioned being a model in a how-to roller disco book - it's hard to overstate how huge that moment was.

by Anonymousreply 4008/12/2013

Vietnam was ending and with a democrat in the White House... Why not celebrate, have fun and let loose...

by Anonymousreply 4108/12/2013

Disco was minding it's own business until 1977 when Saturday Night Fever came out and the soundtrack album sold millions.

Add Donna Summer's millions of disco album sales and a "trend" was born.

The Disco "gold rush" had everyone and their dog putting out a disco album to cash in. Everyone.

Think of every music artist you know of, rushing to put out a Rap album today. like "Britney Raps" Yes it was that bad.

It was all music industry money grubbing, calculated SHIT. Suddenly idiot record execs had a "formula", and they PUSHED IT EVERYWHERE.

You wanted to shoot the radio whenever you heard a disco song.

by Anonymousreply 4208/12/2013

[quote]Vietnam was ending and with a democrat in the White House...

Except that there was a Republican in the White House when Disco began, and for a while after. AND Vietnam ended under a Republican administration. But other than that, you're right on the mark...

by Anonymousreply 4308/14/2013

Ditto what r42 said.

by Anonymousreply 4409/12/2013

The 60-minute BBC documentary "The Joy of Disco":

by Anonymousreply 4509/12/2013

R16,I can`t really imagine Disco being some heavy underground.

by Anonymousreply 4609/12/2013

Those were the days. We all worse platform shoes back then. And Afros bigger than Dante de Blasio's.

by Anonymousreply 4709/12/2013

R46 waits on line 2 hours to get into disco night at Scandals down at the mall.

by Anonymousreply 4809/12/2013

R46, you're a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4909/12/2013

r13, I'm currently getting into the music of Jacques Fred Petrus. He was a French/Italian dj in the 70s, and then got into music production, although he was just an executive producer. The sound was his vision, but the talented musicians he assembled actually created it.

His biggest hit was in 1980 with "A Lover's Holiday" credited to Change, his most successful studio assemblage. Holiday was Top 5 R&B, and featured the great Jocelyn Brown, my second favorite disco diva after Donna, though admittedly a distant 2nd. Change scored again the next year with the aptly named "Paradise" (it's disco heaven) which was also Top 5 R&B.

The more rare tracks associated with Mr. Petrus, that I love, are "Welcome Back" and "Mighty Fine" by the Peter Jaques Band. Also "Time For Love" and "Starlette" by the B.B.&Q Band. Petrus had other hits, and discovered Luther Vandross, who became famous after being featured on Change's 1980 album, which was also nominated for a number of Grammies. But I think the 6 tracks I mentioned are the best, I can't imagine I'll ever tire of them. Also "Hard Times" by Change isn't bad, just not quite in the league of the aforementioned 6.

"Time For Love" - B.B.&Q Band

by Anonymousreply 5009/12/2013

FUN! thanks!

by Anonymousreply 5109/12/2013

Cerrone - "Supernature"

Pure brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 5209/12/2013

R49,you`re an idiot ,not me.You and all of those who make out disco to be some kind of `early-christian` underground type of thing.No,in reality Disco is as commercial and mass-oriented as it gets.

by Anonymousreply 5309/12/2013

[quote]but was it in reaction to something?

Cocaine, honestly

by Anonymousreply 5409/12/2013

[quote] Petrus had other hits, and discovered Luther Vandross,

Oh, really...?

by Anonymousreply 5509/12/2013

Yes really Bowie. You worked with him in '74, he continued being an unknown studio singer for many years after, so Bowie discovered a background singer. Petrus had him sing lead, and his career took off immediately after.

by Anonymousreply 5609/12/2013

[quote][R49],you're an idiot ,not me.You and all of those who make out disco to be some kind of 'early-christian' underground type of thing.No,in reality Disco is as commercial and mass-oriented as it gets.

Disco started as an underground thing, asshole. You have no idea what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 5709/12/2013

But it wasn`t meant to remain underground. In essence it was something totally populist.

by Anonymousreply 5809/12/2013

R46's only excuse to be that stupid would be that he spent most of his life in some God forsaken shithole in Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 5909/12/2013

I kind of miss the clothes.

by Anonymousreply 6009/12/2013

Listless soft rock preceded disco as a musical force.

by Anonymousreply 6109/12/2013

And it kind of survived disco, R61. Remember "mellow" in the early '80s?

by Anonymousreply 6209/12/2013

No,not everyone is like you,R59.

by Anonymousreply 6309/12/2013

God, the disco days were fun. Studio One in LA (or was Hollywood?) The Bistro, La Cage and Coconuts in Chicago. Never made it to Studio 54 but I'd never have been let in.

by Anonymousreply 6409/12/2013

Glad you like it r51, please check out the other tracks listed. In the same vein of Chic-influenced post-disco, here's some other rare favorites:

Empress - Dyin' To Be Dancing

by Anonymousreply 6509/12/2013

Unlimited Touch - Searching To Find The One [Remix]

by Anonymousreply 6609/12/2013

Unlimited Touch's "I Hear Music In The Streets" is also pretty good, but "Searching" is flawless, the original remix anyway. A new one I've found is D-Train's "Trying To Get Over", love the uplifting message, but it's also a seminal jam.

by Anonymousreply 6709/12/2013

R42 had it right. The release of Saturday Night Fever and the soundtrack catapulted disco into the music scene.

by Anonymousreply 6809/12/2013

We honors the divas of disco, especially SYLVESTER, but also Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor, and RuPaul.

Not to mention Anita Ward, Chic, St. Tropez, Linda Clifford, Gwen McCrae, Shirley and Company, Voyage, Karen Young, Sister Sledge, Vicki Sue Robinson, Diana Ross . . .

by Anonymousreply 6909/13/2013

r60's picture made me think about how the fashions of that time must have been very unforgiving to the type of slightly overweight men who can sort of hide their gut in today's clothes. But those disco clothes wouldn't seem to leave any possibility of camouflaging it!

by Anonymousreply 7009/13/2013

Some more classic Eurodisco...this is still a pride anthem at the European clubs.

Patrick Hernandez - Born To Be Alive

by Anonymousreply 7109/13/2013

Disco is alive and well.

"Lay Me Down" - Avicii featuring Nile Rodgers (Chic) & Adam Lambert.

by Anonymousreply 7209/13/2013

Anyone else remember any of these REAL DISCO jams? Every one of these cuts puts all of this soulless, disposable, computer software garbage passing for music today to shame......

Fever (Patrick Cowley) - The Fever Rock Asha Puthli - I'm Gonna Dance Laura Taylor - All Through Me Alma Faye - Don't Fall In Love Nightfall - Keep It Up Donna Washington - Ready Or Not & Take A Chance With Me Jumbo - Turn On To Love Andrea True - Fill Me Up (Heart To Heart) Jim Capaldi - Shoe Shine Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis - Shine On Silver Moon Tangerue/Strange Affair - Don't Stop The Music Sticky Fingers - Night Time France Joli - Don't Stop Dancing Madleen Kane - C'est Si Bon & Let's Make Love Carol Williams - Dance The Night Away Ann-Margret - Love Rush & Midnight Message & Everybody Needs Somebody Sometime Carolyne Bernier - Hold Me, Touch Me & Dance With Me (Danse Avec Moi) Love & Kisses - You Must Be Love & You're The Most Precious Thing In My Life Fantasia - Fantasia & Summer In The City (Medley)

by Anonymousreply 7311/22/2013

FUCK THIS SITE'S FORMATTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7411/22/2013

Check out Gold Legion...google it...slowly re-releasing and remastering some great classic stuff....finally got Madleen Kane's "Forbidden Love" in its original format....awesome!

by Anonymousreply 7511/22/2013

Disco just sounds cruisy. Can any of our more experienced queens fill us in on this?

by Anonymousreply 7611/22/2013

r75, but always buy Gold Legion's releases from Amazon. Don't be tempted to buy directly from their site, just because they offer deals that make it a little cheaper. I ordered two France Joli albums over a year ago, the money was immediately extracted from my account, but they never bothered to send them! And they don't answer emails. The internet is littered with similar horror stories. GOLD LEGION ARE THIEVES, you've been warned people.

by Anonymousreply 7711/22/2013

During the 70s, I had progressive, left-wing straight friends who hated disco. They thought is was decadent and politically-incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 7811/22/2013

[quote]Disco just sounds cruisy.

What do you mean "cruisy"? From 1975 through 1981 there were several different types of Disco. There was the Pretty/Orchestrated Disco, Electronic/Synth-Driven Disco, R&B/Funk Based, Rock-Disco/Rosco, etc.

By "Cruisy" you may be thinking of Slower/Midtempo Disco aka Sleaze. Are you referring to this sound in the clip?

by Anonymousreply 7911/22/2013

Please, the older baby-boomers just couldn't get over their Beatles fixation. Baby boomers have always been obnoxious that way, convinced the world revolves around them and their specific experiences growing up in the 50s/60s.

by Anonymousreply 8011/22/2013

R75 & R77 , I've had my own personal Disco reissues (including the Madleen Kane & France Joli discs) for years. I simply brought new/clean copies of the vinyl, ripped high quality wavs, cleaned up the sound a little & burned them to CD.

by Anonymousreply 8111/22/2013

[quote]During the 70s, I had progressive, left-wing straight friends who hated disco. They thought is was decadent and politically-incorrect.

When it comes to talent involved, orchestration, arranging & overall creativity I'd say that Disco Music (from 1975 through 1981) is some of the best music of all time! I'm not referring to a lot of the Top 40 stuff (which admittedly is often cheesy). I'm mainly referring to the REAL DISCO MUSIC that was played in clubs. This is coming from someone who knows music & who's taste run the gamut from Classical to Rock to Soul to Jazz, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8211/22/2013

[quote]They may be out of print on CD but available on iTunes or elsewhere.

I don't think that's how music works.

by Anonymousreply 8311/22/2013

Yes a lot of the top 40 stuff was crap, but Donna, Chic and Giorgio Moroder are definitely excluded from that.

by Anonymousreply 8411/22/2013

Everything Nile Rodgers touched was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 8511/22/2013

And Rodgers gushes about Donna Summer, she was his ultimate diva. And a primary influence on Chic, according to him. Nile said he had one of her paintings hanging in his apartment in case she ever visited and it'd help convince her to record something with him. Pet Shop Boys and Moby were also dying to record with her.

by Anonymousreply 8611/22/2013

R18, thanks for the great links! i spin 70's and 80's funk/soul on vinyl at various gigs, and i'm always looking for stuff i don't know-

by Anonymousreply 8711/22/2013

Fever (Patrick Cowley) - The Fever Rock

Asha Puthli - I'm Gonna Dance

Laura Taylor - All Through Me

Alma Faye - Don't Fall In Love

Nightfall - Keep It Up

Donna Washington - Ready Or Not & Take A Chance With Me

Jumbo - Turn On To Love

Andrea True - Fill Me Up (Heart To Heart)

Jim Capaldi - Shoe Shine

Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis - Shine On Silver Moon

Strange Affair/Tangerue - Don't Stop The Music

Sticky Fingers - Night Time

France Joli - Don't Stop Dancing

Madleen Kane - Cest Si Bon & Let's Make Love

Carol Williams - Dance The Night Away

Ann Margret - Love Rush & Midnight Message & Everybody Needs Somebody Sometime

Carolyne Bernier - Hold Me, Touch Me & Dance With Me (Danse Avec Moi)

Love & Kisses - You Must Be Love & You're The Most Precious Thing In My Life

Fantasia - Fantasia & Summer In The City (Medley)

by Anonymousreply 8811/22/2013

Carolyne Bernier's 'Hold Me, Touch Me' - From the same producer (Tony Green) that gave us France Joli's 'Come To Me' & several other Disco Hits.

by Anonymousreply 8911/22/2013

[quote] I don't think that's how music works.

Then you're wrong. What it means is that the label that released original CDs does not manufacture them any more or supply them to the few remaining outlets that still sell physical product (Amazon, etc.) That doesn't mean that you cannot find them used in second hand stores or, often, that the label holding the licence wouldn't put them up on iTunes, Amazon MP3 store and other digital music retailers since it costs them virtually nothing to do so and the niche audience can still buy it so they make some profit with very little overhead to speak of.

by Anonymousreply 9011/22/2013

what year did it die?

by Anonymousreply 9111/22/2013

What's typical about disco music, is that most of it is written in a minor key. Not somethig you'd expect from dance music.

by Anonymousreply 9211/22/2013

Tangerue - Doin' Your Own Thing

It is my favorite disco song. It was produced by Eddy Strauman.

by Anonymousreply 9312/23/2014

R85 despite being a 70s icon, Niles biggest selling album that he produced was Like a Virgin by Madonna released in November 1984

It sold 21 million worldwide

Nile talks about this in his excellent autobiography

by Anonymousreply 9412/23/2014

[quote]Was it in reaction to something?

Gays, Rose! GAYS, GAYS, GAYS!

by Anonymousreply 9512/23/2014

Paradise Garage! Also known as "the Garage" or the "Gayrage", but was none the less wonderful.

Place is still there but has long reverted to it's original function; a garage for Verizon IIRC.

Last Fall the street was blocked off for awhile and a PG 25 year reunion was held in honor of Larry Levan.

PG was the place you found everyone mixing, black, white, gay, straight, Latino/Hispanic, uptown, downtown, Bridge and Tunnel.....

Garage, Roxy and all the rest are now only memories. In this new clean and sanitized Manhattan all the formerly commercial areas are now high end/luxury housing. As such the residents want *NO* part of clubs opening on their street. Roxy was going to try but got shoot down soon as local residents got wind. The spot is going to be or is (have not been that way in years) luxury housing.

by Anonymousreply 9612/23/2014

If you have been to any wedding reception since the 1970's and done this dance, you know Disco!

by Anonymousreply 9712/23/2014

I wished that disco had never stopped in 1981. I believe it could have gotten better if the homophobic creeps didn't smash their disco records into smithereens at a baseball field in 1979.

by Anonymousreply 9812/23/2014

You can ring my bell ...

by Anonymousreply 9912/23/2014

Disco LP's

For those seeking them out check thrifts and charity shops. There or "vinyl" record shops, that is if you can find them as most seem to be closing.

Sadly we lost many of the "Disco" era too soon and their things are often donated to charity. That or former DJ's or anyone else simply moved on and got rid of their collections.

by Anonymousreply 10012/23/2014

I just wanted to chime in about Gold Legion. The label is clearly a labor of love, as the reissued CDs they've done look and sound fantastic. And they've released some really important stuff, like Grace Jones' second and third albums.

But, it's pretty clear the guy running the label can barely keep his business running otherwise. Gold Legion is notorious for announcing a release date and then pushing it back and back, often more than a year, while sitting on the money they take from pre-orders.

Even normal orders from their catalog can take weeks or months to arrive, and that's with you prodding them.

As the poster above said, buy from Amazon or one of the Amazon marketplace sellers. You won't be disappointed by the quality of the CD.

by Anonymousreply 10112/23/2014

I should also add I'm a huge fan of the Disco Discharge series. The guy who curated the series really knows his stuff. They focus on lesser-known songs and a lot of material that never really made it out of the clubs onto radio. There are some big names, but they're usually lesser-known hits.

Just beware, they do draw heavily from the 1980s (Eurodisco and early house music) as well, and some purists don't like that.

Also, if the series interests you and you want them on CD, I'd suggest picking them up now. You don't have to order from Amazon UK as the guy above said, Amazon has them, and some marketplace sellers have them for $6-$7, which is a steal, even with $4 postage.

Several titles in the series have gone out of print, and they're already priced in the $30 and up range. These will all fall out of print over the next few years, and the guy behind them has said the Discharge series is done.

By the way, I realize these posts make me sound like a Marketplace seller, which I'm not. Frequent customer, though.

by Anonymousreply 10212/23/2014

I wonder why Donna Summer never worked with Nile Rodgers, when he clearly wanted to. What a collaboration that would have been!

by Anonymousreply 10312/23/2014

Unfortunately, Donna wasn't much of a dance music fan. Her daughter, who is in a folk-pop duo with her husband (they've made the top 40 and were on Leno), says Donna only listened to acoustic stuff like Dylan and Joni Mitchell. She was definitely not in the mindset to record a disco album in 1980, that Diana had such success with, her most successful solo album. The Rolling Stone rock critics had accepted her, and disco was dead, so she felt compelled to do an all-out rock album, The Wanderer. The Pet Shop Boys also worshiped her and could've helped her make a comeback, as they did with Dusty Springfield. But PSB was completely off her radar.

by Anonymousreply 10412/23/2014

I agree, r104.

by Anonymousreply 10512/24/2014

The preciousness of art rock was becoming stifling.

by Anonymousreply 10612/24/2014

The truth about Donna Summer is no one wanted to work with her.

She was notorious for being not very smart, but very aggressive in her demands. Her dim husband didn't help matters, either.

by Anonymousreply 10712/24/2014

I've always heard that Donna was a nice person and pretty affable. I'm actually quite surprised that in her private life she wasn't a fan of dance music.

by Anonymousreply 10812/24/2014

What about Gloria Gaynor?

by Anonymousreply 10912/25/2014

Black folks were sick of Bob Dylan, folksy corporate mainstream bad rock singers which took themselves way too serious.

by Anonymousreply 11012/25/2014

It was a reaction to John Travolta.

by Anonymousreply 11112/25/2014

Thank you, r111.

by Anonymousreply 11212/25/2014

The people who liked to dance broke out and suddenly disco was all over the place. Business liked it because the kids wanted new clothes (and not second hand Army surplus outfits) and clubbing became an outing instead of an excuse to get high (although there was that too.)

The problem was, Disco got pushed too hard. I think it might have been the first overdone fad since the hula hoop and the rockers resented that. Music wasn't about clothes to them, and the tensions started growing.

It didn't help Disco that the guys behind the scene could be sleazier than those ever-sleazy rock guys.

Country was off in the hinterlands even then -- it didn't become big until the bad reaction to rap splintered modern music.

by Anonymousreply 11312/25/2014

[quote]The problem was, Disco got pushed too hard

The problem was white rockers were pissed and wanted their top spot on the charts back. Disco sucks was very much an orchestrated movement to get black people off the money train.

by Anonymousreply 11412/25/2014

DJ Wuakeen has over 20 1-hour mixes of disco and hi-nrg that will definitely take you back to the clubs of the 70's and early 80's. Little to no pop (no Bee Gees or Abba, just the ocassional camp inclusion like Leif Garrett), all hard core dance and great mixing.

You get to read the lists and click a red button if you like it and it plays!

by Anonymousreply 11512/25/2014

Boys and girls, a single song would be eight minutes or longer and could take up an entire side of a LP!

by Anonymousreply 11612/25/2014

R1 - It was a reaction to the fucking Carpenters.

Wouldn't most of their ouvre want to make you do poppers and shake that ass to pulsating beat that was the aural equivalent of anal [Karen's harrowing voice aside]?

by Anonymousreply 11712/25/2014

It put drummers on unemployment.

by Anonymousreply 11812/25/2014

R113 has no idea what he's talking about.

by Anonymousreply 11912/25/2014

Earl Young from MFSB originated the disco drum beat.

by Anonymousreply 12012/26/2014

I also heard, that disco became popular because people were tired of the politically charged soul of Curtis Mayfield and Stevie Wonder. People simply wanted danceable soul music, that was 100% escapism.

Punk was a reaction to glam rock and art rock, not to disco and a few years later punk became a tired old Behemoth as well. The best thing about the current era is, that there are no more pop-cultural ideologies that everyone has to conform to.

by Anonymousreply 12112/26/2014

It was a definite reaction to cheap cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 12212/26/2014

R13, get Tom Moulton's two Philly Re-Grooved collections. And the Chic album.

by Anonymousreply 12312/26/2014

It was an invitation to get high and fuck anyone you wanted.

Then AIDS came along....

by Anonymousreply 12412/26/2014

Dude don't argue with these mincing fairies. They all have a disease which is 100% preventable. Then bitch about white people, the same rich white people that invented the antiretrovirals that keep them alive.

They know very little about anything that doesn't involve using their mouth for a toilet and calling it sex.

by Anonymousreply 12512/26/2014

Disco was also a reaction against the stupid flyover cock-rock bands that were dominating music at the time. REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, etc.

by Anonymousreply 12612/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!