Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will there be a Wonder Woman the movie?

So, I'd at least have one main character I could identify with? Wouldn't the female audience be more than enough to fund the movie?

by Anonymousreply 4810/19/2013

The last development on a possible WW movie was that Joss Whedon script that the studios rejected (I bet whoever did that is kicking themselves now - he went directly to the Avengers project after that). The last word on her appearing on a TV show was that shelved David E. Kelley series with the cute but severely miscast Adrianne Palicki in the titular role. Both of these were years ago; there is absolutely nothing in development for a Wonder Woman anything right now. There is, in fact, no female superhero project of any kind in development right now.

No matter what excuse the studios come up with, it's primarily because they think, despite all logic, that no one will go see a woman-lead superhero movie.

by Anonymousreply 108/10/2013

Will lynda guet star? Will debra?

by Anonymousreply 208/10/2013

Hope so.

by Anonymousreply 308/10/2013

I'd like to see Catherinea Zeta do the role. WW should be a strong woman in her 40s with gravitas, not some milquetoast 20s no-name actor.

by Anonymousreply 408/10/2013

R1 not entirely true

by Anonymousreply 508/10/2013

R4 - But I'm 29

by Anonymousreply 608/10/2013

I hit post too fast.

The link is to an article about the CW's Amazon.

It has hit a few bumps but should happen. Goes with their adding flash and others through Arrow.

by Anonymousreply 708/10/2013

Meryl would be perfect as WW.

by Anonymousreply 808/10/2013

We won't be seeing any female superhero solo film any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 908/10/2013

R9, but they keep making male superhero movies despite the giant floppy Green Lantern, Daredevil, etc. And there have been movies like SuckerPunch and the Hunger Games with kickass female protagonists that did very well.

by Anonymousreply 1008/10/2013

Wonder Woman is so much more ubiquitous than Elektra and she's an actual super hero, instead of villain (Catwoman). I'm shocked they haven't made this film yet.

by Anonymousreply 1108/10/2013

Hwood hates portrayals of strong, beautiful women who don't seek revenge, only justice. Whores are preferable.

by Anonymousreply 1208/10/2013

How many comic book movies do we need??? Are people that simple mentally that comic book movies are as deep as they can get?

by Anonymousreply 1308/10/2013

I was Joss Whedon's first choice for Wonder Woman. I was on the way to the studio to get fitted for my corset when HBO called and told me that they wouldn'tet me out of my contract.

by Anonymousreply 1408/10/2013

All it takes is a talented writer/director to get a hold of George Perez and bang out an adaptation of Perez' Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths story arc Gods and Mortals. That would be the perfect Wonder Woman story in terms of canon origin, introduction to modern society via a liberal East Coast city (Boston or Washington, DC rather than cliche pick NY), and great arch-enemy, Ares, Greek God of War. For those who read comics but haven't read this, I highly recommend it.

It still astounds me when I think that DC made that shitty Green Lantern film before Wonder Woman. I've always been mainly a DC person but I have to tip my hat to Marvel's film division for the way they've handled their characters. DC should've done the same using the Nolan Batman films as a jumping off point.

I'm not just saying this because she's a woman director but somehow I do see Kathyrn Bigelow's style to be perfect for a WW film.

by Anonymousreply 1508/10/2013

I read in another thread that Sandra Bullock was up for the role but Tate Donovan gave her a bad recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 1608/10/2013

Not Sharon Tate?

by Anonymousreply 1708/10/2013

Green Lantern (Hal), I think won a most popular JLA-er poll back in the late 70s.

I would like to see a WW movie made with a whole bunch of actresses who've contributed to the mythos appearing in it.

Lynda Carter as Queen Hippolyta. (sp?)

by Anonymousreply 1808/10/2013

I really don't care who plays Wonder Woman but they sure as hell better cast the still gorgeous Lynda Carter as Queen Hippolyta.

by Anonymousreply 1908/10/2013

A movie about Wonder Woman which has a bit of humor to it would work. Think the proper cat woman film with Michelle, not Halle, for that.

Let's face it, we are the audience for the film. Baby Lesbians looked up to her and a fair amount of gay boys did as well.

Back when I was a baby Lesbian I deeply admired Linda Carter's work on the t.v. show. Really deeply. She inadvertently told me I was gay, basically, in the second grade.

by Anonymousreply 2008/10/2013

Elektra and Catwoman just show Hollywood doesn't know how to make a female-fronted comic book adaption. I'd rather they not make a WW film instead of fuck it up like they did with GL.

by Anonymousreply 2108/10/2013

Very true, r20. Gays and lesbians have always been a huge part of the Wonder Woman fanbase. Lynda Carter herself has said gays/lesbians are a big reason why the tv show was such a success.

by Anonymousreply 2208/10/2013

surprised it has never happened.

by Anonymousreply 2308/10/2013

Whedon wanted Cobie Smulders for the part. Pity it didn't pan out.

"Wonder Woman" is a licensing/ merch cash cow, but isn't a big-sales superhero. Character was created as propaganda for her creator's female-empowerment-thru-"loving submission" bondage/kink ideas.

A film about him, now that might work.

WW works in an ensemble, or maybe the late 60s "Mrs. Peele approach. But it's a tough sell.

"Witchblade" and "Birds Of Prey" had shots on TV and stalled. It can be a hard sell.

by Anonymousreply 2408/10/2013

WW worked just fine as a stand-alone series for years. She has multiple series that sell well in comics, too.

It bears repeating that the CW shot a pilot for an Aquaman series - Aquaman, easily the lamest member of the Justice League - and still no WW.

by Anonymousreply 2508/10/2013

Cobie would have to bulk up for WW. She's gotten skinny lately. But she has the face and the manner for WW.

by Anonymousreply 2608/11/2013

DC doesn't have it shit together. Wonder Woman should have been a movie years ago. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 2708/11/2013

R27 Dur-they fired Kevin Maguire, and they turned down a Paul Pope "Kamandi" because they want to cater to 45-year-olds, not kids. They're GMi 1972, and Dan Didio, Jim Lee, and Geoff Johns are asshole fucktards

by Anonymousreply 2808/11/2013

The DC execs are trying to repeat past success by repeating formulas, while others actually want to do something interesting. I'm catching up on Superior Spide-man and actually loving it.

by Anonymousreply 2908/11/2013

r10 Now you know that all women are the same and one failure by a woman is a failure for all women.

Hollywood just doesn't want to fund female driven superhero films. It doesn't matter if there is a market for it.

Men, particularly white men will still headline movies even after flop after flop.

by Anonymousreply 3008/11/2013

I guess I'll have to do this one.

by Anonymousreply 3108/11/2013

Knowing Hollywood, they'd probably want to do Winder Woman with a comedic twist, having Melissa McCarthy in the title role.

by Anonymousreply 3208/11/2013

Etta Candy and Melissa McCarthy = match made in heaven.

Actually, Lauren Graham fits the look of the Golden Age WW art, and would've been an intriguing possibility for Diana a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 3308/11/2013

Lauren has the face, the height, the comefic grace, and the ability. She's not really muscular or busty.

by Anonymousreply 3408/11/2013

[quote]"...and Dan Didio, Jim Lee, and Geoff Johns are asshole fucktards"[/quote]

SO TRUE! DC in general is just fucking ridiculous to the point of being, particularly for longtime DC fanboys like me, heartbreaking. I don't know what it would take to improve things. Any ideas? All I know is that as long as you have weak idiots like Didio, Lee, and Johns (who I certainly expected better from) in charge and/or working together and afraid not to kowtow to the executives and stockholders, DC will continue to suck and maybe even get worse. Until this changes, I wouldn't even want a WW film.

by Anonymousreply 3508/11/2013

A brunette blake lively could be WW. Zeta is too gd old.

by Anonymousreply 3608/11/2013

they need rebecca romijin. beautiful face, can act and can kick ass a la x-men.

by Anonymousreply 3708/11/2013

Romijn is too old now, as is Charlize.

by Anonymousreply 3808/11/2013

I'd rather see a zatanna movie

by Anonymousreply 3908/11/2013

WW would never work. You can't have a woman running around in that ridiculous costume in a modern era. You couldn't even update it. The concept is ludicrous. It be longs in the 60s and 70s.

by Anonymousreply 4008/11/2013

[quote]I'm catching up on Superior Spide-man and actually loving it

Are you referring to the craptastic movies?

by Anonymousreply 4108/11/2013

Batman Zero Year has been awesome!

by Anonymousreply 4208/11/2013

They couldn't even get the tv series off the ground two years ago. David E Kelley tried his best.

by Anonymousreply 4308/11/2013

R36 - No, Blake is not pretty enough.

by Anonymousreply 4408/11/2013

Chloe Grace Moretz could play WW

by Anonymousreply 4510/19/2013

In ten years R45

by Anonymousreply 4610/19/2013

There'd better be!

by Anonymousreply 4710/19/2013

To me the whole Wonder Woman meets "300" angle sounds so drab,unsexy and definitely not fun. I don't want to see her in a leather skirt to the knee and bracelets that run the length of her forearm. I'm a gay man...I want bouncy hair,a plunging bustier,high cut panties,a little ass cheek and high-heeled boots dammit! I want glamor!

What I want to see is a beautiful,friendly WW kicking NAZI asses in a WW2 setting.

Using the backdrop of ancient Greek ideals,Wonder Woman was designed to reflect the perfect representation not what America has been or is presently...but what it CAN and SHOULD be.

I want a stylized, "classic" depiction.

by Anonymousreply 4810/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!