Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Daft Punk = Pretentious Cunts

The Stephest Cobchella debacle has really changed my opinion of those douchebags. Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 1403/24/2014

The nY Times article did imply they were a little douchy

"The segment, and Mr. Colbert’s explanation of it, were widely circulated online. But what happened behind the scenes was no joke.

According to three people who were briefed on the talks or directly involved in them, Daft Punk’s planned appearance had already been a source of stress for “Colbert” since the group was only willing to appear in costume, and not perform or sit for an interview. Then on Monday, while flying to New York from Paris, the group called producers to cancel, citing the conflict with MTV, according to these people, who spoke anonymously because of the privacy of the matter and the volatility of the personalities involved.

Some exclusivity among performers or guests is not uncommon among shows, particularly those under the same ownership. “Colbert” and “The Daily Show,” its companion program on Comedy Central, do not book the same guests, for example. But the stakes were high given Daft Punk’s visibility and the enormous popularity of “Get Lucky.”

Negotiations between MTV and Comedy Central became intense. MTV threatened to cut Daft Punk from the awards if the group also appeared on “Colbert,” and would not budge despite pleas from Comedy Central. On Tuesday’s show Mr. Colbert read an e-mail from Van Toffler, the president of MTV Networks, saying that he was “not sure I can help you on this one.” (The show’s Web site later displayed the redacted message, in which Mr. Toffler said that the band and its label had “sold us hard on some clip and live appearance based on them not showing up anywhere else.”) Viacom executives declined to interfere in the dispute, these people said, but Columbia Records, Daft Punk’s American label, got involved, advising the group not to risk its appearance on MTV."

by Anonymousreply 308/10/2013

They don't know the terms of their contracts?

by Anonymousreply 508/10/2013

Daft Punk is over. Is there even a second single on R.A.M? They can't exactly release that Paul William piece of shit, and they trickled out the other Nile Rodgers songs (the only other good ones on the album).

Stupid Frogs thought MTV was cooler than Colbert? They really are living in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 608/10/2013

I have the CD and, unfortunately, "Get Lucky" and "Doin' It Right" are the ONLY singles remotely "top 40ish" on it. Disappointment and overrated.

by Anonymousreply 708/10/2013

I'm just thankful that they introduced the great Nile Rodgers to a new generation

by Anonymousreply 808/10/2013

R4: I *did* read R3's article, which was what prompted me to post in the first place! Had they appeared on his show, they weren't even going to go through an interview or perform? Fuck that. They shouldn't have bothered to waste Colbert's time in the first place, although the end result is the awesome bit R1 referenced.

Besides, if Viacom owns MTV AND Comedy Central, how would the bottom line be negatively impacted? I can assure you that the imbeciles who watch the VMAs are a different demographic!

by Anonymousreply 908/10/2013

They've mythologized themselves like Republicans did with Ronald Reagan. DP wasn't revolutionary. They made a few good shitty songs. They've done nothing in reality. They aren't revolutionary. People have bought into this PR fantasy. They're new album is so bad, it's painful.

by Anonymousreply 1008/10/2013

It's been funny to see how Daft Punk is being treated like it's some revolutionary band. They have had some nice songs, but I don't think that they have brought out that much new to the electronic music that'd grant them this much hype.

I'm not saying that they haven't done nice music, my problem has been the weird fanboidom that's come out e.g. from The Verge, which seems to publish music news only about Daft Punk. They had this strange build-up of constant little news about them before the release of RAM, which annoyed me, and many other people, although most people seemed to love it.

I hadn't known how passionate people were about DP, but having a site like The Verge (which has had pretty good quality reporting on different subjects, although not constantly) act like it's run by dumb fanbois made me actually hate the phenomena. It was actually funny that when RAM came out the comments from the readers at The Verge turned to "only one or two good songs on this album". The Verge also started deleting comments critisizing their DP-hardon which was a bit dick move and made the site look even worse.

R10 is absolutely right, DP is what it is because of their image. It's a nice image, but it seems to have become bigger than what their music really is. Now people really believe the hype which is sad, but of course that is just part of show business. Of course many DP fans seem to think that DP is something bigger and better than show business.

by Anonymousreply 1108/10/2013

'Doin' It Right' and 'Get Lucky' are really the standout tracks of RAM and the rest of the album is pleasantly MOR but grows on you with each listen.

They've been around so long, that of course there will be people screaming that they're 'over' but they've been off the scene for awhile and I'd rather they be around now than the relentless one-dimensional pop drazzle of Justin Biebier and Taylor Swift dominating the charts. Daft Punk's glory days are likely behind them, sure, but I'm not unhappy to see them throw their hat (helmets) in the ring once more and give it a whirl.

I think they were less at fault over Colbert than that font of all cunty entitled-ness, MTV. It's part of the Daft Punk mystique to keep in costume for certain interviews so nothing new there.

In the end it worked out very well for Colbert, almost better than if they'd shown up tbh. I'm sure that's not lost on him, or Daft Punk.

by Anonymousreply 1208/18/2013

I agree that RAM was all hype - there's no there, there..and, "Electroma"? Oh, my.

by Anonymousreply 1308/18/2013

Album of the year bitchez

by Anonymousreply 1403/24/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!