Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is is Todd Rundgren NOT in the Hall of Fame?

Got to see him this week in NJ and he was fantastic! What a catalog of great songs. His innovations in music and technology is beyond anything else any rock star has done. His album producing credits are nothing to be ashamed of and he is a truly nice person. I guess his old fued with John Lennon has put a sour taste in Yoko's mouth. He seserves this so much more than many others who are in there. Love of The Common Man for sure.

by Anonymousreply 5708/18/2013

Chubsy Checkers should also surely be on the short list.

by Anonymousreply 108/08/2013

What was the feud with Lennon about?

by Anonymousreply 208/08/2013

Shhh, r3. You do NOT want Bebe Buell showing up on Datalounge to prove his heterosexuality. Now, cross yourself and throw some salt over your shoulder. Maybe that will ward her off.

by Anonymousreply 408/08/2013

What century is theOP posting from?

by Anonymousreply 508/08/2013

The Osmond Brothers should also be in the R&R Hall of Fame.

I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 608/08/2013

The Hall is a dead baby joke. They waste space inducting no talent garbage like Styx, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, U2, AC-DC, The Eagles (not even rock - they are country), Black Sabbath (who ever heard anything they ever did besides some 13 year old devil worshipper kid in 1975?), Tom Petty, bitch please.

Where are Chicago? Where are Captain & Tennille? Where are Bread? Where is Whitney Houston? They all sold a hell of a lot more albums and singles than fucking doped out hetero trash like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. The Hall is idiotic and should be scrapped.

by Anonymousreply 708/08/2013

R7, I almost thought you were serious until you mentioned the Captain & Tennille.

by Anonymousreply 808/08/2013

R7 Uh, no. Chicago, Bread and Whitney Houston did not sell more albums than Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. Pull your head out of your shitter. Zeppelin and Floyd are two of the best and biggest selling artists in the history of music. As for Captain & Tennille... are you fucking joking? They were atrocious. Their album sales were a far cry from the hundreds of millions that Zeppelin, AC/DC, and Floyd have sold.

I hope you're kidding. For further clarification, Styx is not in the Hall yet (but should eventually be). I am 100 percent sure that anyone who listens to classic rock radio (and even some modern hard rock stations) is aware of Black Sabbath. At the very least, people should know their songs "Iron Man" and "Paranoid." My God, I knew those songs in 1971, when I was 7.

I agree that Chicago should be in. Whitney Houston was talented, but not even close to being remotely rock-oriented. Putting her in the Rock Hall would be the equivalent of putting Slayer and Metallica in the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville. Bread? They were okay, but they should not be inducted before Deep Purple, Kiss or Joan Jett.

Captain & Tennille? Really?!?

by Anonymousreply 908/08/2013

Now who can forget "Muskrat Love"? One of the high points of 70s music.

by Anonymousreply 1008/08/2013

[quote] Where are Chicago? Where are Captain & Tennille? Where are Bread? Where is Whitney Houston?

none of them are even close to being considered rock music

by Anonymousreply 1108/08/2013

xtc's Skylarking alone should have gotten him inducted.

by Anonymousreply 1208/08/2013

I agree with R12 that his production credits alone should be enough to get Todd Rungdren included, but go listen to "We Gotta Get You a Woman" and tell me he doesn't belong there more than half the people who are there now.

by Anonymousreply 1308/08/2013

Wow, R7. Okay, so they induct stuff like Captain & Tennille, Chicago and Bread. What would be next? Edison Lighthouse? The Archies? Debby Boone? Donny & Marie? The Partridge Family? Scott Baio? The Brady Bunch Kids, Michael Bolton? Don Johnson? Philip Michael Thomas? Jonathan Taylor Thomas? Buffy Sainte Marie? Buckner & Garcia? Starland Vocal Band?

Jeez, we have to draw the line somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 1408/08/2013

Most un-gay post ever.

by Anonymousreply 1508/08/2013

Because Rolling Stone Magazine and its Hall of Fame ARE a joke. Rock and Roll itself is a joke. It's bad heterosexual GARBAGE. No true gay man listens to rock music. I have never met a homosexual hard rock fan. We like Dance, Broadway, Disco, R&B, and Showtunes. That's the gay musical diet honey. Get over it. It had to of been a breeder that started this rock and roll thread. Fuck off straighties!

by Anonymousreply 1608/08/2013

I've met Todd numerous times and while it's always discussed amongst his fan base, he doesn't seem to have any interest in being in the RRHoF. His musical frustration stems from the fact that his fans want the old stuff (natch) while he releases new (excellent) material on a fairly regular basis. This current tour is getting great reviews which is typical of him for the past decade (he was drunk a lot during solo shows in the 90s, but always in top shape when he toured with a band.)

Anyone who was lucky enough to catch the Liars tour in 2004 knows the man is an underrated genius.

by Anonymousreply 1708/08/2013

He had the "Todd is God" following for a long while.

I think the "New Cars" frontman thing was a bad move and he lost some cachet.

by Anonymousreply 1808/08/2013

Gosh, R16. Stereotype much?

by Anonymousreply 1908/08/2013

the Rundgren/Lennon "feud"

by Anonymousreply 2008/08/2013

R16, that's just silly! I am as gay as a guy can get and I listen to everything from Mozart to Sinatra to Elvis Presley to The Beatles to Led Zeppelin to the Bee Gees to Nirvana to Metallica to Opeth, and everything in between. I know many gay men who listen to hard rock, classic rock, metal, alternative, industrial, etc. Step out of your gay ghetto or local drag bar and you'll see that just because we all like cock does not mean we are cookie-cutter people. We all have different tastes.

by Anonymousreply 2108/08/2013

[quote]the Rundgren/Lennon "feud"

Imagine if there had been twitter back then!

by Anonymousreply 2208/09/2013

I had a crush on Rundgren back in the early 1970s. I remember watching him on The Midnight Special when I was 15. Damn, he was cute in all that silver glitter, singing "Hello It's Me." Yum. That's still in my top five favorite songs ever (along with "Stairway to Heaven", "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Let It Be", and "Gimme Shelter." Great voice!

by Anonymousreply 2308/09/2013

Todd with Ringo and Todd's youngest son.

by Anonymousreply 2408/09/2013

People Who Should Be In The Hall of Fame (that are not):

1. DEEP PURPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Cheap Trick!!!!!!

3. KISS!!!!!!

4. Alan Parsons Project

5. Sweet

6. Motorhead

7. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

8. Judas Priest

9. Iron Maiden

10. Styx

11. Yes

12. Electric Light Orchestra

13. Boston

14. Billy Idol

15. Grand Funk Railroad

People Who Should NOT: Captain & Tennille!

by Anonymousreply 2508/09/2013

People Who Should Be In The Hall of Fame (that are not):

Cheap Trick, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Boston, Yes, ELO, and Grand Funk Railroad - should get there. Kinda shocked Cheap Trick aren't actually. Deep Purple if only for Richie Blackmore and to spare us a Rainbow introduction.

And as much as I love Sweet, I don't think it's gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 2608/09/2013

Gawd! I forgot about Sweet. I just had a flashback of cruising in my 1971 Mustang with a carload of friends during Senior year (1975-1976). Those Sweet tunes (on 8-track) were so much a part of my teen life back in Michigan. I'm gonna have to Youtube them now. Ballroom Blitz, Set Me Free, The Six Teens, Sweet F.A., Action, The Lies In Your Eyes, Burn On The Flame. I played those two tapes, Desolation Boulevard (U.S. Version) and Give Us A Wink, constantly!

The music was so awesome back then: Bowie, Floyd, Zeppelin, T.Rex, Sweet, Sabbath, Queen, Rundgren, Aerosmith, Kiss, Rush, Thin Lizzy, Styx, Yes, ELP, Bad Company. Damn. Sometimes I just wanna go back.

by Anonymousreply 2708/09/2013

Todd was a kinda watered-down sweetie-pie Steely Dan back in the 70s. Got attention with an avant-garde look but the music was not that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 2808/09/2013

Todd don't wanna work. He just wants to bang on the drum all day!

by Anonymousreply 2908/09/2013

Life is not fair, even in music. Etta James was not invited to the White House to sing At Last and that really was her song.

by Anonymousreply 3008/09/2013

I can't believe the Village People, Wham!, Human League, Kim Carnes, Kenny Rogers and Culture Club aren't in yet. What the fuck, people?

by Anonymousreply 3108/09/2013

Sonny & Cher should be in the Hall of Fame, goddammit!

by Anonymousreply 3308/09/2013

"I Saw the Light"- Todd Rundgren, Daryl Hall

Great version.

by Anonymousreply 3408/09/2013

R16 is the kind of gay ghetto princess I'd like to smack the shit out of. All gay men are not alike and many gay guys like rock.

And I fucking hate showtunes.

by Anonymousreply 3508/09/2013

R28, you couldn't be more off the mark.

by Anonymousreply 3608/09/2013

Prince was totally obsessed with Todd growing up, as being a complete superfan. He got backstage and met Todd at a concert in Minneapolis. However, Todd was offhand with him which pissed off Prince.

Prince even used a guitar in the 90s based on one that Todd used in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 3708/09/2013

Madonna had him blacklisted.

by Anonymousreply 3808/09/2013

A brilliant songwriter/musician, but a hell of a bad businessman. Sold his producer royalties for Bat Out Of Hell.

by Anonymousreply 3908/09/2013

The Hermit of Mink Hollow

by Anonymousreply 4008/09/2013

[quote]Where are Chicago?

Possibly in the trail of puke I left in Kroger's produce dept. as 'Wishing You Were Here' played on the store PA system yesterday.

Their Muzak programmers used to be so much hipper.

by Anonymousreply 4108/09/2013

R3 Mrs Patrick Campbell you are an irrelevant shit stiring cunt. Go away. Todd had a harem of women at one time and wanted to add Bebe Buell to it. She wasn't into it. If he's dabbled fine but to call him gay just for the fuck of it is beyond silly it's irresponsible. Then again coming from brain addled source such as yourself it's no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 4208/09/2013

Wait, wait, wait...Yes is not in the Hall of Fame? That's unbelieveable.

The Cure should be, also.

by Anonymousreply 4308/09/2013

I agree about Todd. And his stuff w/Daryl Hall is brilliant. And by the way, Hall & Oates are the most successful duo of all time and they aren't in their either. It's a joke.

by Anonymousreply 4408/09/2013

At least half of the acts that were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are not pure "Rock & Roll": they are pop, folk, blues, R&B, disco, reggae, or funk. As currently defined, "Rock & Roll" covers all forms of popular music in English except country or jazz.

I add another vote for Sonny & Cher, and Chicago. Whitney Houston also deserves to be in there but the powers that be were holding her back until Donna Summer got in.

by Anonymousreply 4508/09/2013

R45 , Pet Shop Boys Are the most successful duo of all time.

by Anonymousreply 4608/09/2013

Not sure that Todd is a "hell of bad businessman."

Todd's Hawaii mansion where they shot the video at r35 looks pretty sweet.

by Anonymousreply 4708/09/2013

Todd was involved with Bebe in the 70's. She gave birth to Liv, told Todd Liv was his, and he believed it until it came out that Steven Tyler was actually her father when Liv was around 11.

The official story goes that Todd knew, but raised Liv anyway. Not true. I was very close to someone who was very close to Todd at that time and he told me when Todd found out that Liv was not actually his natural daughter he hid in his room for days. They still have an affectionate relationship and I see her often at his NYC shows.

by Anonymousreply 4808/09/2013

Todd made an absolute shit load of money, mainly from Bat Out Of Hell. Blew it all mainly on computer video technology/studios which yielded very little in the way of him even barely breaking even in this field. He can't afford not to keep on touring, hence his relentless schedule.

Still, the man is a genius.

by Anonymousreply 4908/09/2013

That why we got the New Cars, Todd needed the money.

by Anonymousreply 5008/09/2013

Got to meet him once. Real nice guy, not pretentious at all. Very grateful to his fans and is a dedicated dad to his boys. The older two were semi pro baseball players and Todd made them go to college before playing in the semi pros. Good man.

by Anonymousreply 5108/10/2013

What is with all the rock and roll talk on here? I never met a gay man who likes guitar rock. Every gay man I have ever known (including myself) likes THE DIVAS, pop, dance/house music, showtunes and soft music. Are there really gay men who like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Rush?

My older brothers (all breeders) listened to that shit 35 years ago. All my gay friends were into Abba and disco. Why do you, as gay men, care who is in a ROCK hall of fame? I sure as fuck don't.

Must be a lot of idiot straight white males on here. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 5208/10/2013

No, R53. You're absolutely right. We all listen to the same bubblegum and Broadway show music, wear the same clothes, like the same types of men, like the same movies, drive the same pink Prius... it's all part of being gay. We're all EXACTLY LIKE YOU!

Jesus Christ! Like an earlier poster said, just because we all like men sexually does not mean we all like exactly the same music, books and movies. I am 48, well-educated (two Masters Degrees), very gay, and white (sorry, you seem to have a problem with that last part, based on your last sentence). I love Rock. Most of the gay men I know like at least a little bit of Rock.

I love Early Rock 'n' Roll, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Thrash, Punk Rock, Hardcore, Industrial, Alternative, New Wave, Grunge. I like many other types of music too. I do not limit myself to trying to fit a stereotype to appease a few uppity "by the gay book" snobs.

I think you are rather shallow. Your final remark about "idiotic straight white males" is absolutely vile. At a time when straights are, by and large, finally coming around and seeing we're not a bunch of hell-bent perverts, you have to throw in insults. I am especially offended by your throwing "white" in there. You seem like someone I am thankful that I do not know.

by Anonymousreply 5308/10/2013

Fantastic r35, one of my favourite songs and one of my fave singers.

by Anonymousreply 5408/10/2013

Or r16, how about, shock horror, just loving music full stop, all types and genres of music. Rundgren is hardly hard rock.

Depends what you mean by hard rock, I don't tend to go there but I definitely would like some of it. Who wouldn't thrash out to One by Metallica.

I love real music, I also love trashy pop princess shit - at least for cardio.

by Anonymousreply 5508/10/2013

Balls the size of brandy snifters.

by Anonymousreply 5608/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!