Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"BROADCHURCH": Sensational New BBC Whodunnit On BBC America

Anyone else watching?

Please, UK DLers DO NOT SPOIL THE ENDING FOR US!

by Anonymousreply 31404/23/2015

I watched tonight. Loved it. I can't wait for them to touch on each of the characters that they flashed on the screen at the end. Looking forward to see how the detective's son ties into the mystery. Looks very promising.

by Anonymousreply 108/08/2013

Really? I find BBC America unwatchable. Copper is dull, dull, dull.

by Anonymousreply 208/08/2013

It was fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 308/08/2013

One of the US networks (forgot which one) secured the rights and will debut the US version of Broadchurch to compete with Under the Dome in the summer of 2014

by Anonymousreply 408/08/2013

BBC America is so censored and dumbed down for middle America's tastes that it is virtually unwatchable. There are tons more interesting British shows floating around the web. TONS.

by Anonymousreply 608/08/2013

I watched the whole series back in the Spring when it was on ITV, and found it disappointing. Trying hard to emulate the Danish series like Forbrydelsen and Bron/Broen, but falling short somehow.

And I wanted to love it because I adore David Tennant and and enjoyed Olivia Colman on Peep Show. Colman did do well in a serious role, I am so used to her as Sophie.

by Anonymousreply 708/08/2013

R6, "Luther" airs on BBC America, and it's neither dumbed down nor censored (and way better than "Broadchurch").

by Anonymousreply 808/08/2013

I prefer Annika Bengzstrom on MHZ.

by Anonymousreply 908/09/2013

It's ok so far. I don't really understand the appeal of David Tennant - he looks a bit rodent-like.

by Anonymousreply 1008/09/2013

R6 - what are some shows you recommend then? Especially in the crime/thriller genre (I hate sci-fi)

by Anonymousreply 1108/09/2013

My cable provider doesn't carry BBC America On Demand (just the regular channel) so I'm trying to get caught up so I can get into the rotation. After MUCH searching (I have Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime and Netflix) I was finally able to find the first episode for free download on iTunes, but Episode 2 requires a purchase. Does anyone know if/when the second ep will be available for viewing somewhere on line? Apparently BBCA doesn't repeat their stuff into oblivion like most cable channels.

by Anonymousreply 1208/17/2013

I watched it online and enjoyed it. It is better than most typical American fare.

by Anonymousreply 1308/17/2013

I want to know more about the hot father of the murdered boy.

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2013

Fox wants the US version of Broadchurch to go Head-to-head with CBS Under The Dome in the summer of 2014

by Anonymousreply 1508/17/2013

The guy who plays Olly (the reporter) is ultra-hot.

by Anonymousreply 1608/17/2013

The victims family is the worst part of the show. I've only seen the first show, but I hope they move away from them as soon as possible.

by Anonymousreply 1708/18/2013

I've seen the whole series so here are my views on it. No spoilers of the criminal(s) but I tell pretty frankly what I thought of the show, and it may be a downer to some who want to enjoy it. And this is of course only my opinion.

Unfortunately in the end of the series I felt like my time had been majorly wasted. They drag it on for too long with material that was maybe good for a maybe 2-3 episode mini series.

Of course you get more invested and get more into the atmosphere when you spend more time watching a life going on in that village and get to spend more time with the characters, but in the end I wondered if it was worth it. The song at the end is nice, and the characters are sort of nice, but 8 hours with them is far too much. The characters don't really develop during the series, you just see them more than in a shorter series.

Somehow I felt like the show was softened to make it viewable for the whole family, and the ending especially felt like that. I do however see certain freshness in it and possibly see what they wanted to achieve with it, but personally I get lot more from an episode of the new Miss Marples that packs into 1,5 hrs something much more potent than Broadchurch packs into 8 episodes. Perhaps I'm just pissed that Broadchurch wasn't hardcore.

The word that first comes to mind from Broadchurch is mediocre; the second is disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 1808/18/2013

I finally broke down and paid $2.99 to watch ep 2 on iTunes. It's not a big deal, really, but I don't like watching TV shows or movies on my computer. But apparently there's no way to convert or stream the iTunes DRM-protected stuff to a TV. And I guess I could've gotten it through Amazon streaming and watched it on the TV, but my set doesn't support closed captioning, which I find helpful with British shows. Oh well, at least I'm caught up and can start watching it on regular TV from now on.

by Anonymousreply 1908/18/2013

Is that plumber's assistant in love with his boss (Danny's dad)?

by Anonymousreply 2008/30/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 2108/30/2013

On episode 4 and don't understand then fuss. I like the lead woman detective. I knew I have seen the mother before she played Venus in Venus. She looked much better plumb...

This thread scares me you know someone will spoil it..

Usually the killer it the least likely. That rules out the priest, the father, the grumpy old man and the strange middle-aged woman who is always hanging around. I also don't think it is then friend who is eager to please the father who I assume burned down the boat.

That leaves the mother, the son of the woman detective or David TenNant....

by Anonymousreply 2208/30/2013

This program struck me as a poor-man's THE KILLING (and I'm talking about the U.S. version).

by Anonymousreply 2408/30/2013

Of the three shows I've watched on BBC America, only LUTHER is worth watching, and that's primarily due to Idris Elba and the fabulous Ruth Wilson.

Gave up on both BROADCHURCH and ORPHAN BLACK after a few episodes each. The first was too much like THE KILLING and the second one was just idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 2508/30/2013

I would be furious with R23 for the spoiler, assuming it's true, except it's not a bad theory.

by Anonymousreply 2608/30/2013

for r12 . . . With the purchase of an Apple TV box (about one hundred dollars) you connect that to your TV, and anything on your iTunes can be played on the TV.

by Anonymousreply 2708/30/2013

[quote]Please, UK DLers DO NOT SPOIL THE ENDING FOR US!

We won't so long as you don't post spoilers of your shows. :D Actually I don't think spoilers are really posted here.. you just don't click in the threads.

The only way a spoiler would really be posted is if someone says it in a thread title, otherwise you can avoid it.. those are the worst and people on Imdb boards used to do it - not specialized boards for the film which you'd expect, but the general boards.

It's difficult for me to avoid stuff about Breaking Bad here and I can't even torrent it easily as The Pirate Bay is banned in the UK, my ISP even blocks the proxies, I could bypass it for a while.

Haven't seen Broadchurch yet but it was a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 2808/30/2013

[quote]enjoyed Olivia Colman on Peep Show. Colman did do well in a serious role, I am so used to her as Sophie.

And she won a double BAFTA TV award for both the drama and comedy categories, didn't she? About time she was recognized, her performance in the film Tyrannosaur is amazing and about the best of that year.

by Anonymousreply 2908/30/2013

I stopped watching after 3 episodes. It was pretty boring and I didn't really care to find out what happened to the kid.

I tried Luther, but I thought the first episode was incredibly cheesy. I thought British tv was supposed to be better than ours in the US, but haven't found anything that comes close to a show like Breaking Bad.

by Anonymousreply 3108/30/2013

Love it even though it's exactly like The Killing. I'll continue to watch but I guessed who did it by the 3rd episode. Olivia Colman is great. Loved her as the mother on Beautiful People.

by Anonymousreply 3208/30/2013

R31, I watched the first season of Luther and found it stupid beyond belief. Idris Elba's character annoyed the hell out of me, and almost nothing that happened in the series was believable, which is a big problem if you try to get sucked in to the story. I don't understand why it has so many fans.

Even though I didn't like Broadchurch its story still was done fairly believably when compared to Luther.

by Anonymousreply 3308/30/2013

What is the significance of the newspaper vendor reading "Jude, The Obscure"?

It must mean something, as the lead detective's name is "Hardy".

by Anonymousreply 3408/30/2013

I made the mistake of checking out the show on Wikipedia and they threw in the name of the murderer in an unexpected place so…I'm still watching just to see if they start giving clues but so far not. I love all these British shows.

by Anonymousreply 3508/30/2013

Fantastic show! Watched the whole thing online, and felt the end was worth the wait.

[quote]The guy who plays Olly (the reporter) is ultra-hot.

You get to see his cute little hairy butt.

by Anonymousreply 3608/30/2013

I also got the totally unexpected Wikipedia spoiler. Fuckers.

But I'll still continue to watch.

BTW - any Brits familiar with that stretch of shoreline? Is it Somerset? Looks beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 3708/30/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 3808/31/2013

It was filmed in West Bay in Dorset.

There's actually a massive fight going on on that Wikipedia page over where the spoiler should go. Some editors are really throwing their toys out of the pram insisting that the spoiler should go as high up on the page as possible, because "Wiki policy is not to be spoiler-free!!" So childish.

by Anonymousreply 4008/31/2013

Its not BBC, its commercial television, so episodes are structured for commercial breaks and a cliff-hanger at end of each episode. It is though curiously gripping - they strung it out for 8 weeks here in the UK, and we were all waiting to know - the ending is quite satisfying too.

I just didn't buy skinny David Tennant as the police inspector in charge of the investigation. He is quite irritating. There are obvious red herrings but Olivia Colman is simply stunning. What an actress, we already knew her as a comedienne but she is marvellous here.

by Anonymousreply 4108/31/2013

Olivia Colman is brilliant in Broadchurch. And she's won Numberwang!

by Anonymousreply 4208/31/2013

Anyone watching tonight?

by Anonymousreply 4309/04/2013

I've never heard of Olivia Colman before but she is brilliant in this.

I thought it was an amazing series. Very realistic portrayal of what the victim's family was going through.

Still not sure why the kid was arguing with the postman.

by Anonymousreply 4409/14/2013

Can someone explain what "SOCO" is? It seems like (based on the context) it's some sort of lab or forensics thing, but what do the letters stand for? I'm assuming it must be common knowledge to the UK audience.

by Anonymousreply 4509/14/2013

Scene Of Crime Officer - I think they're called Crime Scene Investigators in the US.

by Anonymousreply 4609/14/2013

This show just gives and gives.

Pauline Quirke is brilliant. Poor Susan. And Nigel crying hot tears while reading about his birth family... incredibly touching.

I was pretty pissed off before, about the spoiler in this thread, but now that I know it's pretty obvious who the killer is. Still, I cannot wait to see how it's revealed and what everyone's reaction is. I foresee high drama!

by Anonymousreply 4709/19/2013

Last nights episode ended with the daughters boyfriend saying something about Nigel and Danny and "animals". I had a hard time understanding their words/accents and my closed captioning doesn't work on BBC America, for some reason. The scene showed the parents and daughter getting really thoughtful looks on their faces, like they were having second thoughts about Nigel's trustworthiness.

Can someone please clear up with he said.

by Anonymousreply 4809/19/2013

The daughter's boyfriend lives on the farm where Danny, Nigel, Tom and Joe would go hunting. The boyfriend thought Danny's parents knew about this activity; they did not. Though they may be having suspicions about Nigel right now, surely this will turn out to do more with Joe.

Nigel also mentioned something about stealing pheasants when he was in police custody; I have a hunch the blood on Danny's hands they show every week will actually turn out to be pheasant blood, not his own.

by Anonymousreply 4909/19/2013

[quote] watched the first season of Luther and found it stupid beyond belief. Idris Elba's character annoyed the hell out of me, and almost nothing that happened in the series was believable

I find the same is true of that idiotic Inspector Lewis show. He solves a crime by staring at a picture in a museum because it has a vanishing point? A scientist has his own secret state-of-the-art laboratory where he's trying to find a cure for his wife's cancer while reluctantly having an affair with Miss Pearl Pratt? Bitch, please.

They also seem to go out of their way to make Miss Marple into a complicated mess. I mean, what could be more straightforward than Agatha Christie mysteries?

by Anonymousreply 5009/19/2013

When Ellie asked Susan how she couldn't know what was going on right under her own roof, Susan paused and sort of smirked at her and just turned and walked away without saying anything. I thought that was interesting.

by Anonymousreply 5109/19/2013

I thought Susan was the best performance and most interesting character.

by Anonymousreply 5209/19/2013

The woman who plays Danny's mother is also very good.

by Anonymousreply 5309/20/2013

I just watched the finale today. I've been watching it each week on BBC America but couldn't wait to find out whodunnit so downloaded it off pirate bay. I specifically stayed away from any thread about the show here and can't believe how dumb some of you are to take the chance of being spoiled here. Of course some asshole is going to ruin it! This is datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 5409/22/2013

[quote] The woman who plays Danny's mother is also very good.

Agreed. Terrific actress, and quite pretty.

by Anonymousreply 5509/23/2013

[quote]I've never heard of Olivia Colman before but she is brilliant in this.

I totally agree. She was superb in this. The best character and the best performance. I'm going to look into other work she has done.

by Anonymousreply 5609/23/2013

I guess my hunch was right.

by Anonymousreply 5709/26/2013

Great. More evil gays (or whatever the hell the murderer was).

by Anonymousreply 5809/26/2013

Holy shit, that was some outstanding acting.

by Anonymousreply 5909/26/2013

I'm gutted.

by Anonymousreply 6009/26/2013

SPOILERS AHEAD

Really good until the ending. Bad, bad ending. The case should have been solved through sleuthing. It wasn't. The only reason the case was solved was that Joe felt guilty and decided to let himself be caught. That's not the way a good detective story ends. It should end with the detectives being heroic, intelligent, and capable. As it was, they sucked. All those episodes, and not a single smart move by Hardy or Ellie.

by Anonymousreply 6109/26/2013

Don't think of it as a detective story, R61. It's more of a portrait of a family's (well, multiple families') grief.

by Anonymousreply 6209/26/2013

I wish this had been a four-part presentation on PBS's Mystery (even if you might argue it's not a mystery; neither was Silk) rather than a heavily edited BBC America show.

by Anonymousreply 6309/26/2013

Olivia Colman is not to be missed in a very good movie called Tyrannosaur. It is a terrible title because it has nothing to do with dinosaurs. She plays a shopkeeper with an abusive husband who develops a relationship with a loner in a small British village.

by Anonymousreply 6409/26/2013

I don't believe it is "heavily edited". Maybe a minute or two a week for commercials.

by Anonymousreply 6509/26/2013

Last night's episode was just released on iTunes: it's 52 minutes, 58 seconds. I imagine rather more than a couple of minutes were cut from the BBC America broadcast.

Of course, PBS edits Masterpiece and Mystery a bit, too, to make room for Viking River Cruises commercials.

by Anonymousreply 6609/26/2013

I loved the soundtrack, by the Icelandic composer Ólafur Arnalds.

by Anonymousreply 6709/26/2013

Chad Everett is in talks with Fox for a role in the US version.

Whom would he play?

by Anonymousreply 6809/26/2013

I really enjoyed it. In general the acting was powerful.. Danny's mother, Ellie

by Anonymousreply 6909/26/2013

I imagine Chad Everett would be the Jack character.

I cannot wait to see how Fox screws up the remake.

by Anonymousreply 7009/26/2013

R70 Fox wants to go head-to-head with Under The Dome this summer.

by Anonymousreply 7109/26/2013

Christine Lahti is in talks for the Elaine Jenkinson role.

by Anonymousreply 7209/26/2013

Was it just me, or did the boy who played Danny seem a bit older than 11? Or maybe that was what Joe's attraction to him.

by Anonymousreply 7309/26/2013

I thought the same thing R73, that was odd.

by Anonymousreply 7409/26/2013

Why bother remaking this for American tv? Just come up with your own mystery series. I thought it was terrific but there was nothing that innovative or different about the storyline or mystery to make it work remaking.

by Anonymousreply 7509/26/2013

How are they going to do another season of this?

by Anonymousreply 7609/26/2013

R556, you should start with Beautiful People, which really WAS a BBC series. Colman plays the mother of a young gay boy. She's incredibly funny in it but so touching in the final episode. It ran 2 seasons, 6 episodes each. I'm sure you can find it on Amazon. I saw it on BBCA.

Susan/Elaine is played by a great character actress, Pauline Quirke. A few years ago she was a regular on the soap Emmerdale, playing the mother of a grown gay son. Her son becomes a quadriplegic due to a car crash and she and the son's boyfriend help him to die. Heartbreaking performance from her.

by Anonymousreply 7709/27/2013

R73/74, he definitely looked taller than 11 and his voice sounded like it had broken already. It had a deep sound which made him sound more forceful and the situation seemed a tiny bit less creepy. I suspected his voice was re-recorded during post production, perhaps by another actor.

It's interesting that on various message boards there are still those who think the psychic was a fake. In the eyes of the series I don't think he was, because of that shot of the mother half-smiling at him while she was riding by in the car.

by Anonymousreply 7809/27/2013

So Christine Lahti as Elaine Jenkinson in the US version

Can she pull it off?

by Anonymousreply 7909/27/2013

Chad Everett died last year.

I was out of town and set my DVR to record the finale during the regular weekly 1AM repeat on BBCA only to come home and find out that the last episode was shown at a later time (and I ended up with an hour of "The Shining" instead.) I couldn't record the regular showing at 10PM because it conflicted with "The Bridge."

Anyway, I was able to find it streaming online with Russian subtitles! I wish I'd been able to find it with English closed captioning, as sometimes I have a little trouble with the accents and the unfamiliar words. Bottom line--I loved the series. Can't believe we get stuck with crap like "Under the Dome" instead of great shows like this.

by Anonymousreply 8009/27/2013

They cut a fair amount out. TWOP (I know) has a list of all the scenes cut from the finale.

r61 Joe did turn himself in, but Hardy worked out (via the computer records) it was him right before that. That's why he came up with some fake reason to send Ellie away so she wouldn't be there when he traced the phone.

Chibnall always planned it as a trilogy, and he's said the second series will be very different and not involve a murder, so who knows. I read it would show the town dealing with the aftermath but I don't remember if that was speculation or not. Chibnall is also heavily involved in the US version, so it might not suck that much.

by Anonymousreply 8109/28/2013

Tennant will play the same character in the American version.

by Anonymousreply 8210/20/2013

Late to the show here. I watched it on Netflix last night and found it really overwrought. All that swelling, ominous music for mundane scenes. I get it. Anyone can be the murderer.

I guess that's probably why it appealed so much to American cable tv producers. They want to make their own overwrought version.

I think it may have been the inspiration for the ultimately insipid True Detective, which dicked us around with moody existentialism for a case that should have been solved pretty early on, sparing us the drama of the nihilistic detective living in a flawed universe.

by Anonymousreply 8301/09/2015

I watched Broadchurch, then Gracepoint. I think the worst aspect of both shows is that it built a huge misery pyramid to distract from the fact that there was no plot, which showed in the ending.

by Anonymousreply 8401/09/2015

[quote]I guess that's probably why it appealed so much to American cable tv producers. They want to make their own overwrought version.

Uh, what? It was remade as "Gracepoint" on Fox, not a cable tv producer.

by Anonymousreply 8501/09/2015

Season 2 (OK, "Series" 2, for you purists) starts March 4 on BBCAmerica. (It's already begun in the UK.)

by Anonymousreply 8601/09/2015

Fox is cable TV

by Anonymousreply 8701/09/2015

I just wish they had not made the husband of the cop look so stereotypically gay.

by Anonymousreply 8801/09/2015

R87 Are you REALLY that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 8901/09/2015

Nope. Fox is cable TV. You are confusing it with premium cable tv.

by Anonymousreply 9001/09/2015

First episode of series two had me hooked after 15 minutes. That's my Monday nights sorted for the next 10 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 9101/09/2015

How is the beginning of Season Two so far, for those in the UK?

Is Tennant eating humble pie, now that the American version proved to be a failure?

Colman acts circles around him, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9201/09/2015

Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC, Univision, Telemundo, ION, and the CW are BROADCAST, not CABLE.

This means:

1. You can access them via local network affiliates, over the air, WITHOUT CABLE, and

2. They are under the jurisdiction of the FCC.

NEITHER of those applies to cable networks, "premium" or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 9301/09/2015

R92

We really haven't heard anything much about Tennant and the American version - probably the interwebz fan loonies have, but not the rest of us.

Episode 1 of season 2 was a stonker (is that a British word? Probably. It means good). Olivia was great. David the Who also. Arthur the Who also got a bit more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 9401/09/2015

Is Tennant capable of eating humble pie?

What the US version proved is that casting a minimally talented actress like Anna Gunn is not a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 9501/09/2015

R92

As r94 said, it was a stonker. Olivia Colman was outstanding. Few new characters (Charlotte Rampling and Jean Marian Baptiste). If it continues being this good all the way through it will be one hell of a series.

by Anonymousreply 9601/09/2015

I feel bad for Tennant. A few people complained about Tennant's American accent, which was sensationalized by the media. A few Brits are complaining about his Scottish accent, which was sensationalized by the media. Poor guy can't catch a break.

by Anonymousreply 9701/09/2015

[quote]Jean Marian Baptiste

Is this Marianne Jean-Baptiste who was on that FBI show with Anthony La Paglia?

by Anonymousreply 9801/09/2015

R98 yes, I always get her name mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 9901/10/2015

Season 2 starts tonight on Showcase in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 10001/11/2015

My husband loved my imitation of Tennant.

I would grab my head, cross my eyes and say, "Oh God, no! Not noe! Not noe! Aim a rellllluctant, broooooody police officer who canna' shave! Playse doooon't make me dizzay! Ai canna' pass oot noe! Ail het the flure, and God atle hoort like hail!"

by Anonymousreply 10101/12/2015

If you think David Tennant's Scots burr is bad in Season One, wait til you see Season Two. Between the burr and him mumbling his lines, he's just about incomprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 10201/12/2015

I watch all UK crime dramas with closed captioning nowadays because of UK love for their regional accents.

by Anonymousreply 10301/12/2015

[quote]Between the burr and him mumbling his lines, he's just about incomprehensible.

I keep shouting at the screen "WHAT WAS THAT?"

Why the fuck do they keep hiring this arsehole?

by Anonymousreply 10401/12/2015

R103 I watch pretty much everything British with closed-captioning. They could use subtitles in theaters, too. I remember having a really hard time with the accents in "The Full Monty."

by Anonymousreply 10501/12/2015

Episode 1 of Season 2 is available on Youtube.

Seemed pretty good.

Anyone else find the scene of Ellie´s son (who now does not live with or speak to her)playing computer games alone at night with the father of the murdered boy really creepy?

by Anonymousreply 10601/12/2015

[quote]Anyone else find the scene of Ellie´s son (who now does not live with or speak to her)playing computer games alone at night with the father of the murdered boy really creepy?

Not in the least.

by Anonymousreply 10701/12/2015

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 10801/13/2015

[quote]I watch all UK crime dramas with closed captioning nowadays because of UK love for their regional accents.

I do too, R103. Regional accents aside (because I don't consider them to be a major factor), mumbling seems to be a requirement on all the BBC dramas.

I enjoy Shaun Evens (Endeavor) because he enunciates well enough that I don't have to look at CC to know what he's saying.

by Anonymousreply 10901/17/2015

Sorry, that's Evans.

by Anonymousreply 11001/17/2015

Charlotte Rampling and Marianne Jean-Baptiste are in Season 2, therefore I'll be watching it.

by Anonymousreply 11101/17/2015

x

by Anonymousreply 11201/18/2015

Is anybody watching season 2?

The show seems to be getting campier.

And what was with the way they filmed last night's episode? It was like it was done with a home video camcorder. Looked Coronation-Streety. Very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 11301/26/2015

I am thinking r107, that there is something more going on in this story that wasn"t revealed last season. Namely, with Mark Latimer.

I am also thinking that we will be seeing Mark getting comfort from hugs from little Tom soon.

by Anonymousreply 11401/26/2015

Tennant just won some major lifetime achievement award in the UK, and was just announced as the lead in the new Marvel superhero TV series, and has another Royal Shakespeare Company play coming up, so I doubt he's eating much humble pie at the moment.

Broadchurch 2 is pretty silly though. The cast all signed on without knowing anything about the plot or reading any scripts. The UK tabloids have been reporting that Tennant is unwilling to sign up for the third and final season.

by Anonymousreply 11501/26/2015

[quote] I am thinking [R107], that there is something more going on in this story that wasn"t revealed last season. Namely, with Mark Latimer.

My hunch is that it was going to be revealed that there's much more to it than Joe Miller. I think he was set up to take a fall for a much wider group of paedos. In the first episode of this season, didn't he say something along the lines that he can't be the one who will go down for it? The priest was there to talk him into confessing so that there would be no trial and further investigation of the case which makes me think that he's involved or someone who's very close or dear to him (did Beth Latimer kill her own son?)

And I agree with the poster upthread who was distracted by the video camcorder last night.

by Anonymousreply 11601/26/2015

I've enjoyed the first three episodes of season two, but Beth Latimer really grates on me - what a beyotch.

Mark Latimer and that kid in that trailer together was suspicious, but it felt like a red herring.

Charlotte Rampling's character is kind of meh. What is her connection to the newspaper woman? Friends? Relatives?

by Anonymousreply 11701/26/2015

where can you watch season 2 in the US? BBC America is not airing it till March. Netflix wont have it till it ends airing in the UK :(

by Anonymousreply 11801/26/2015

Joe Miller did it, alone. That's not a mystery. The "drama" of the second series is his court case and finding out what really happened in Hardy's previous case.

It's amazing how people see things that aren't there, yet think themselves to be so perceptive.

by Anonymousreply 11901/26/2015

so WHERE can you watch it in the US?????

by Anonymousreply 12001/26/2015

season 2 is getting very silly though. how many weeks can the latimers sit in the dock looking paid while ellie pulls faces.....

the cliffhanger this week. what? just ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 12101/26/2015

Agree season two isn't up to scratch. Still watching but nowhere nearly as intrigued as season one.

by Anonymousreply 12201/26/2015

This has been posted a million times already. Instal Hola on Firefox, choose UK as your country. That is how you watch BBC on line.

ITV will ask you for a UK postal code. Find one on line. Done. Watch UK shows.

by Anonymousreply 12301/26/2015

Here in Canada, season 2 is playing right now on Showcase and BBC Canada.

The video camcorder look is cheap and inferior-looking.

I was hoping the newspaper woman and Charlotte Rampling's character are lovers, but I don't think they are going there.

Will Nigel's mother be back this season?

James D'Arcy is fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 12401/26/2015

r123 i dont have firefox

by Anonymousreply 12501/27/2015

Do you want me to come to your house to instal it, sweetie?

by Anonymousreply 12601/27/2015

firefox carries viruses, i have chrome

by Anonymousreply 12701/27/2015

I packed it in after two episodes of Season 2. Between Mumbles Tennant and the contrived plot, I'm giving the rest a miss.

by Anonymousreply 12801/27/2015

honestly Broadchurch could have reach masterpiece status had they left it as it was and not returned to the town by the sea.

by Anonymousreply 12901/27/2015

I'm more interested in the Sandbrook case. I reckon Claire did it, with the dad of the murdered girl.

by Anonymousreply 13001/27/2015

I keep thinking the Sandbrook thing will rip off Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka to some extent... but not sure now given what happened last night. The focus seems to shift more to Sandbrook now... the resolution better pack a punch.

My prediction is Joe Miller is acquitted... and winds up dead... and we were to spend all next season finding out who killed Joe Miller. But I also read Tennant isn't good for a third series so this will probably be the end of it.

by Anonymousreply 13101/27/2015

[quote]firefox carries viruses, i have chrome

I've had Firefox for many years. No virus of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 13201/27/2015

R131 Why is Season 3 dead without Tennant? There are plenty of incomprehensible Scots and Northern Brits to fill in for him. My first choice is Peter Mullan, wonderful Scots actor, a bit old, but gives a whole new meaning to "I can't understand a bloody word the man's saying!" Other candidates include John Hannah and Peter Capaldi (Scots) David Morrissey (Scouse), and Chris Ecclestone (Mancunian).

by Anonymousreply 13301/27/2015

Perhaps they could make David Tennant's character the murderer. That's where I thought they were going ins eason 1 with his strange quirks, autism, and medical issues. At the beginning of the season, he looked over at David's body on the beach and murmured "Not again". It was supposed to hint that he has a past with this kind of situation. Perhaps he blacks out and kills children.

by Anonymousreply 13401/27/2015

And manages to leave no forensic evidence anywhere near the murder scene, does it all with no eye witnesses and somehow doesn't wake up in the middle of a field wondering how he got there, r34?

by Anonymousreply 13501/27/2015

Very odd to see Tennant starring in the US version, speaking with an American accent.

The US Ellie is much hotter than the UK Ellie, ditto her husband, who is bald in the UK version.

But the father of the boy was much hotter in the UK version - played by Andrew Buchan who I'd marry in a heartbeat if he'd have me.

by Anonymousreply 13601/27/2015

R135 is addressed to r134, of course.

by Anonymousreply 13701/27/2015

did we get to see Tennants wife yet????

by Anonymousreply 13801/27/2015

Yes, Tennant's wife showed up in yesterday's episode.

by Anonymousreply 13901/27/2015

R136, you think Anna Gunn is hot? That's pretty weird.

Forgetting the fact that she's a terrible actress, I wouldn't want to spend 3 minutes around her character, whereas UK Ellie is interesting.

Foxpoint isn't going to get a second season anyway.

by Anonymousreply 14001/28/2015

You can install hola on Chrome as a well.

by Anonymousreply 14101/28/2015

I just watched the trailer for Gracepoint.

It's a fucking replica of Broadchurch! What the fuck is the point of that? Couldn't they just take the idea and adapt it a bit? Americans could can easily watch the original anyhow!

by Anonymousreply 14201/28/2015

r136, you sound very superficial.

But I agree with your attraction to Andrew Buchan. He's very tormented-closeted-dad hawt.

by Anonymousreply 14301/28/2015

Season 2 is lacking the domesticity of season 1, a trait that the British still do very well (look at their sitcoms and their daily soaps, which is still a very big genre in the UK). The sensationalism of David's murder was played out very well against the real goings-on of a sleepy little seaside village - all those inhabitats were like neighbours or people you would know. That's why Gracepoint was such a disaster - Americans don't know how to do "domestic". Their domestic was a pack of post Cold War lies, which became camp very quickly in the 80s and 90s, replaced by a new form of reality in reality TV. The Brits love their reality TV too, but it hasn't replaced the traditional domestic. Seasonn 2 of BC is being written more for US mentality.

by Anonymousreply 14401/28/2015

Thanks for the thoughtful synopsis, R144.

by Anonymousreply 14501/28/2015

Interesting, r144. What other examples of British "domestic" television are you thinking of?

What are the "Cold War lies" of US "domestic" tv that you have in mind?

After the success of Nordic crime tv there was many complaints in the UK about how we supposedly didn't do that kind of gripping tv crime drama. Series like Broadchurch and The Fall were attempts to respond to that criticism and tap into the rich vein opened up by Scandinavian "crime noir". They even used people directly from Nordic/northern European countries - an Icelandic composer for Broadchurch, a Belgian director for The Fall. What made these series dynamic and exciting was less the British "traditional domestic" element - cosy detective stories like Ms Marple and Midsummer Murders - and more the bleak landscape and psychological drama of Nordic noir.

US tv produces some great crime drama - True Detective was scintillating, and also about what really goes on behind the curtains in small towns, although in a more extreme way. CSI in its heyday was genius. And, there is still quite a bit of shit on British tv.

Having watched episode 4 of the second series of Broadchurch, I can say it's definitely back to form. In fact, I think some of the daft stuff of the first three episodes was necessary in way, so as create new threads and build up to new climaxes and revelations, leading up to the threads eventually coming together.

by Anonymousreply 14601/28/2015

[quote] . The sensationalism of David's murder

Who's David? Is that in season two?

by Anonymousreply 14701/28/2015

Lady cops have to be hot on American tv.

Hell, all ladies on American TV have to be hot. Except Fargo.

by Anonymousreply 14801/28/2015

Olivia Colman reminds me of Frances de la Tour

by Anonymousreply 14901/28/2015

Broadchurch is just Twin Peaks without all the weird stuff.

by Anonymousreply 15001/28/2015

I was feeling despondant about season 2 of Broadchurch, but the last episode has left me with some hope, because I can tell who they're going to pin it on and I think it will be pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 15101/28/2015

The end of episode 4 gives a massive hit about the Sandbrook murders/disappearance.

by Anonymousreply 15201/28/2015

As a current example, Downton is very domestic, R146. And I don't mean servants. It is, while grand and period, like Broadchurch in that everybody spills over into one another's lives with family at the core of the storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 15301/28/2015

Do we have a US premiere date for s2 of BROADCHURCH?

by Anonymousreply 15401/28/2015

The butler did it with a candlestick in the parlor.

by Anonymousreply 15501/28/2015

March 4 on BBCAmerica

by Anonymousreply 15601/28/2015

I'm liking season 2 much more than season 1. I ended up practically hating the show after the first few episodes on season 1 but this season I'm liking almost everything. There's still some of that fake over-emotional stuff but it's not that bad.

by Anonymousreply 15701/28/2015

It's kind of weird that in season two it gets revealed that everyone has fucked everyone else. Not Ellie and Alec, and it was rather unbelievable that such suggestion would have been made in court.

by Anonymousreply 15801/29/2015

Frau thread

by Anonymousreply 15901/29/2015

I'm watching episode 3 - had it recorded. Why does it seem like it was recorded live? I mean, I know they're recorded live, but this seems like one of those live episodes. It's distracting.

by Anonymousreply 16001/30/2015

If you want a good overseas crime show... check out Spiral. I'm addicted to it. It's a French detective/cop show. At least one series on Netflix and the current series can be seen on BBC iPlayer if you have the means to access.

by Anonymousreply 16101/31/2015

No spoilers for episode 4 please, but I do have to know: is it filmed with a home camcorder again? I hated episode 3's "live" look.

by Anonymousreply 16201/31/2015

Thankfully it wasn't filmed "documentary style", r162.

By the way, another enjoyable British TV series, on in its third series at present, is Last Tango In Halifax, starring Derek Jacobi and with a lesbian theme. For anyone who wants a slice of "Englishness" you should try it.

by Anonymousreply 16301/31/2015

[quote]If you want a good overseas crime show... check out Spiral.

I tried watching it, but I found it a bit gruesome. I mean, I don't need to see a corpse in detail.

[quote]By the way, another enjoyable British TV series, on in its third series at present, is Last Tango In Halifax, starring Derek Jacobi and with a lesbian theme.

Season three finale is tomorrow night!!!

by Anonymousreply 16401/31/2015

R149

I'm shocked anyone else besides me is aware of Frances de La Tour! I remember her from years ago in Flickers.

by Anonymousreply 16501/31/2015

I love Last Tango in Halifax. Rupert Graves is on season 3, and that's more than enough incentive for anyone to watch

by Anonymousreply 16601/31/2015

Off topic, but for US viewers who enjoy British crime dramas, how about the comedy/drama "Babylon" currently running on Sundance? Hot young American PR expert takes job running communications at Scotland Yard; fuck-ups ensue.

I am enjoying it immensely.

Plus they use use words like "twat" and "cock" most freely.

by Anonymousreply 16701/31/2015

I'm not that old, r165, but remember Frances de la Tour as a kid in Rising Damp. Plus, she was recently in Vicious, with Derek Jacobi who is in Last Tango...

by Anonymousreply 16801/31/2015

Come on, everybody knows Frances de la Tour from Harry Potters.

by Anonymousreply 16901/31/2015

I'm not at all a Harry Potter fan, sorry. My dad loved Rising Damp, when the African student would snarl "Rigsby!" in disgust.

by Anonymousreply 17001/31/2015

I'll second the recommendation for Babylon. James Nesbitt is quite the flavour of the month for TV this side of the pond. He was also the main character in The Missing (abducted child mystery).

by Anonymousreply 17101/31/2015

I saw Frances de la Tour in a play a couple of years ago. And in the film of The History Boys which was on TV last week.

by Anonymousreply 17201/31/2015

[quote] Rupert Graves is on season 3,

Rupert Graves is eventually in just about every dramatic British tv series, particularly if it reaches a season three.

I think it may be a law over there.

by Anonymousreply 17301/31/2015

Just watched Season 1 of "The Missing," BBC/Starz co-production. English child goes missing in a small French town (actually filmed in small Belgian town). Incredibly well done if disturbing (esp. to parents of young children). Highly recommend, esp Tcheky Karyo, great French movie star in his 60s--great actor who plays the local police detective.

by Anonymousreply 17401/31/2015

Tcheky Karyo was so hot in the original Luc Besson's Nikita. "Bob".

by Anonymousreply 17501/31/2015

Fyi the weird "home camera" look in episode 3 was due to a technical error in the North American broadcasting. It's not in the original episode three, if you watch the UK airing that episode looks exactly the same as the other episodes.

by Anonymousreply 17602/02/2015

Btw I'm hearing that the screwup resulting in ep 3 having a weird 'home movie' look was only in the original Canadian broadcast. Anyone outside of Canada notice anything different?

by Anonymousreply 17702/02/2015

The original Canadian broadcast of Broadchurch, r177? I don't think there's anything Canadian about the original.

by Anonymousreply 17802/02/2015

I mean, the first time that episode was broadcast on Canadian TV. It was only during that one airing that issues were reported. I saw the episode when it first aired in the UK and there was no difference in the visual look of that episode compared to other episodes. I've also read complaints from Canadian fans online listing specific flaws in editing or moments when the picture and audio were out of sync, these flaws were not present when the episode aired in the UK. A Canadian fan posted on another site to say they watched a rerun of episode 3 and that the rerun didn't have the 'home movie' look that the first Canadian broadcast did.

Point being, the weird 'home movie' look and other flaws were not in the episode itself, but were due to a technical screwup of some kind by the Canadian channel.

by Anonymousreply 17902/02/2015

Perhaps you were asleep during the first part of ep. 3 when you apparently saw it less two weeks ago in the UK, then, r179. As far as I'm aware, episode 3 of series 2 hasn't been shown yet in Canada.

I presume you're talking about series 2. Unless you're recalling the screening of series 1, almost 2 1/2 years ago - indeed, almost 3 years ago in the case of the UK screening.

Have there even been reruns of Broadchurch?

by Anonymousreply 18002/02/2015

r180, what are you talking about?! I live in Canada and just watched episode 4 of series 2 last night on Showcase. Series 2 is also being shown on BBC Canada - episode 4 will air this Friday.

Episode 3 of series 2 that aired last week on Showcase was the "live-filmed" episode in question.

Episode 4 was much better than the last couple of shows, btw. It looks like they are getting back on track.

by Anonymousreply 18102/02/2015

I'm in the UK and episode 3 of season 2 was exactly the same as all the others. No found footage feel or style at all.

by Anonymousreply 18202/03/2015

It's getting savaged week over week in the UK reviews. A one hit wonder badly spun into a second attempt.

by Anonymousreply 18302/03/2015

I agree, R181, it seems to be getting back on track. The first 3 episodes were a bit of a mess.

by Anonymousreply 18402/03/2015

I too am finding this season to be better than the first.

I adore Olivia Colman and the little glimpses of humour she brings to such a dramatic role. She's also great as the victim of domestic abuse inTyranosaurus and hilarious as the mother of a gay teen in Beautiful People.

by Anonymousreply 18502/03/2015

I like her too, R185. I think they upped the humor in season two. She and Tennant play well off each other.

by Anonymousreply 18602/04/2015

yesterdays guardian article says that the ratings continue to fall. the british are so fickle. all their shows are 6 episode seasons, image having to maintain your interest for the american standard of 23. ugh

by Anonymousreply 18702/04/2015

Do we have a thread on this?

TransAsia plane crashes in Taiwan river - Summary

Events are continuing to unfold rapidly following the crash of a TransAsia flight in Taiwan’s Keelung River. Here’s a summary of events as they stand so far:

TransAsia Airways flight GE235 crashed in Keeling River on Wednesday shortly after taking off from Taiwan. The Taiwanese Central Disaster Response Centre said there were 53 passengers and five crew members on board. Extraordinary footage has emerged of the plane glancing across buildings and cars shortly before it crashed into the river.

An urgent rescue mission is underway by Taiwanese emergency personnel. The Taiwanese Civil Aviation Authority said in a press conference that there were nine confirmed deaths, 18 people were injuries, and 31 people who were unaccounted for. This report is expected to change as the rescue mission continues.

At least 170 emergency staff have been deployed - including ambulances, fire engines and watercraft - to assist in the rescue operation.

by Anonymousreply 18802/04/2015

R181, if you’re watching series 2 in Canada right now then you’re watching the episodes just one week after they're being screened in the UK. That kinda emphasises my point even more about r179's speedy zipping between the UK and Canada.

Episode 3 of series 2 was shown in the UK on 19 January 2015. It was shown in Canada on 25 January 2015. I was just wondering if r179 watched that episode in the UK and then a week later watched it again in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 18902/04/2015

No, I am in Britain (and worked on Broadchurch). I only saw the British airing, which looked perfectly normal.

That's why I was confused as to why, a week later, there were suddenly so many complaints from North American viewers saying Broadchurch sucks now, it looks so amateurish and shitty visually, the editing is so poor, etc. Quite a few people blamed Jessica Hobbs (who directed that episode, her first episode) for the loss of quality, when I knew there was no significant difference in the look or editing of that episode, compared to the other episodes.

It wasn't until later that I learned that all of the complaints were from people who had watched that one specific broadcast on Showtime Canada, and that it was a technical fault on Showtime's part, not anything in the episode itself. Perhaps I am over protective of the show but I wanted to clarify the origin of the problems/complaints.

by Anonymousreply 19002/04/2015

R190, any idea why so many people think it tanked so bad this season? Did they think during production it was in trouble?

by Anonymousreply 19102/04/2015

That's interesting, R190. I watched it, and like I said, it made it seem like a whole different episode. I wonder what kind of technical fault Showtime could have had, though? Wouldn't they receive the digital broadcast directly from BBC, or however it's done today? Why or how would the broadcast end up looking like a hand-held cam one?

by Anonymousreply 19202/04/2015

R191

ITV did put it up against Silent Witness, which is an incredibly popular and long-running show. That might have something to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 19302/04/2015

[quote] That's why I was confused as to why, a week later, there were suddenly so many complaints from North American viewers saying Broadchurch sucks now,

Nice try, hon.

Googling "Broadchurch series 2 reviews" will bring up every major UK periodical's scathing reviews of this show, along with viewer comments making fun of the muddled, tangentially demented show.

Yeah, I'm sure you "worked on Broadchurch."

by Anonymousreply 19402/04/2015

R194

He's just making a very specific point about a specific episode, not generally defending S2.

I don't know why this one is getting so badly panned. I thought the first series was good but couldn't really understand the gushing. I think this series has lost out with intimacy a bit - the secrets are now being revealed in court but in S1 they managed to avoid all the secrets coming out through the police investigation. Even so, S2 seems to be to be mostly on the same level.

I watch it because I like Colman, who is a very subtle actor who can, as someone mentioned above, add humour without detracting from tension.

by Anonymousreply 19502/04/2015

I've been posting here about working on Broadchurch for about three years. Anyway I was talking only about the complaints about the visual quality, not the writing.

I didn't have much to do with the creative team so I'm not really aware, r191. Happy set I guess in general?

I think Chris viewed the show as being about a small community, not specifically about a murder case, while viewers felt differently.

by Anonymousreply 19602/04/2015

If you work on Broadchurch, r196, and you call Chibnall "Chris", why do you need to ask us about what happened with the Canadian screening? Surely you could ask the people at work?

by Anonymousreply 19702/04/2015

I watch Broadchurch on ITV web site and all episodes have the same look. Whatever problems there were with ep. 3 must have been technical, like R190 explained.

Hi R190, how long is the shoot per episode, and then the editing period?

by Anonymousreply 19802/04/2015

r165, I remember Frances de la Tour from Rising Damp.

by Anonymousreply 19902/04/2015

I'm not thrilled by the storyline of Season 2, but I keep watching because the actors are so great. I'm glad they added Marianne Jean-Baptiste to the cast. She really gives an excellent performance.

by Anonymousreply 20002/04/2015

Do you really think the production monitors every broadcast everywhere in the world and then contacts every minor crew member about it? If I'd happened to bump into Chris (who I've seen once since we finished shooting) I probably would have mentioned it but I'm hardly going to email him going, "Hey did you hear some random airing in some overseas country screwed up the audio/visual for that ep?"

We knew the episode was fine from a technical standpoint and that it was fine when it originally aired here in Britain. Whatever Showtime Canada did or didn't do in their later airing isn't really anything to do with most of us. I only found out Canadian fans were complaining from this thread and that's because I'm a longtime DLer (circa 2005).

by Anonymousreply 20102/04/2015

Interesting though that the poster insisting Broadchurch 2.3 had never even aired in Canada is now giving me grief for... I'm not quite sure what. Their inability to read, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 20202/04/2015

r198, each series (season) took about four months to shoot, so two weeks per episode. I don't work on the postproduction side but I know they finished editing and postprod on the last episode this week, and we finished shooting in mid-Oct, so editing I'd say roughly about three months?

by Anonymousreply 20302/04/2015

[quote] I thought the first series was good but couldn't really understand the gushing.

I agree. It was good, but the level of adulation was way out of proportion for the show. It had some big flaws that had to be overlooked.

I think people in the UK really like David Tennant and that accounts for some of the worship.

by Anonymousreply 20402/04/2015

R204

I'm in the UK. I think Tennant is liked, but it's Colman who is really flavour of the month here. I think the first series really found a balance between family study and crime mystery that struck a chord. I think that was its real success. Perhaps S2 is just suffering from the hyperbole surrounding S1.

by Anonymousreply 20502/04/2015

It seems to me like S1 wrapped everything up. And then BBC said "We want another series of the show."

I loved the characterization in S1, the old man who ran the news shop, the woman who lived in the caravan. What I loved about this show was the community that was portrayed. It was like Twin Peaks without all the weirdness.

I love ensemble shows where the characters are so carefully drawn.

by Anonymousreply 20602/04/2015

Hi r202, sorry about the mistake regarding when the Canadian Broadchurch was broadcast. Some of your previous posts had given the impression that you'd seen that episode it in Canada too.

I've been a DLer since 2005 as well! In this decade of many hours and days wasted, I've noticed plenty of bullshitters pass through here, claiming they've worked on this or that tv show, when they haven't, or, more accurately, they worked with someone who worked on something for a company that had an external contract to do a very tiny job for a tv show. So, sorry if I'm cynical, it's just the DLer in me.

And, nope, I wasn't expecting you to ask "Chris", just the people you actually work with on Broadchurch.

Btw, where, outside of the UK, is Broadchurch series 2 being broadcast right now?

by Anonymousreply 20702/04/2015

[quote]I've been a DLer since 2005 as well! In this decade of many hours and days wasted, I've noticed plenty of bullshitters pass through here, claiming they've worked on this or that tv show, when they haven't, or, more accurately, they worked with someone who worked on something for a company that had an external contract to do a very tiny job for a tv show. So, sorry if I'm cynical, it's just the DLer in me.

I've been on DL far longer and I never distrust people who say that they've worked on a film or a show, mainly because I work in the industry and I can tell when they're being genuine. And I have never really seen fake posts from the set people.

What I have seen in the past years is people like you shouting: Liar! for no reason whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 20802/04/2015

That's really cool, r208.

What about r201 then? Is he genuine?

by Anonymousreply 20902/04/2015

Yes, our Broadchurch Brit is genuine.

I am surprised that the shoot is only two weeks, which is a US standard, but it looks like that the post is given a lot more time per episode.

by Anonymousreply 21002/04/2015

Great that he's genuine!

Ok, so, Broadchurch guy, my questions. Why have the given David Tennant really obviously dyed hair? And, why have they given Marianne Jean-Baptiste a haircut that makes it look as though she's balding?

by Anonymousreply 21102/05/2015

Hey, we're cool, r207. Thanks for your post.

I don't have a full list to hand but it's airing in a fair number of countries. Italy was just announced. France, I think. Norway. Starts in the US next month.

Btw the hair was originally an accident. DT finished shooting some other TV show where his hair had to be dyed blond like a week before we started on Broadchurch S1, and when they tried to dye his hair back to its usual brown it wound up going this weird auburn colour. Then I guess they had match the auburn for S2 for continuity.

Don't know about MJB.

by Anonymousreply 21202/05/2015

r190, or anyone else who knows this:

There are scenes where they are on the beach with a huge rock formation behind them. 2.5 had a beautiful shot of it. Where is this filmed?

by Anonymousreply 21302/05/2015

R213

That's West Bay in Dorset. I don't live far from there. Schoolkids round here all have day trips to local coastal formations - it's a World Heritage Site.

by Anonymousreply 21402/05/2015

Ep 2.5 was interestingly directed. The style occasionally overwhelmed the characters and the emotional content, but the direction was better than most TV, which usually means rather basic coverage.

by Anonymousreply 21502/05/2015

Broadchurch series 2 seems to have echoes of True Detective - the strange, large human-shaped sculpture on the edge of town Hardy always stares at as they drive by, finding sordid, mysterious things in isolated warehouses in the middle of nowhere.

I'd assumed they'd made Tennant's hair floppy and auburn because he's greying and thinning but, no, apparently it's what television likes to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 21602/05/2015

R216

I don't think Withy Man was at all meant to be mysterious a la True Detective. It's just a prominent local landmark and, I should imagine, meant as a place indicator like Angel of the North or chalk hill figures, which are also frequently used in British TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 21702/06/2015

Perhaps if you're familiar with the landmark, r217, it might not seem strange to you, but for those of us who aren't, the scenes where Hardy and Miller are driving out of town to somewhere creepy and mysterious to search for long-hidden secrets, with Hardy in a slightly hallucinatory state looking fixedly out of the window at the landmark, there's certainly an echo of True Detective. It may not be intentional, but it's there.

Especially if you consider that the Willow Man is made of wicker, like the pagan wicker men, and TD had all those twig sculptures.

by Anonymousreply 21802/08/2015

R218

I can see why you'd take it that way if you're not British and aren't familiar with the landmarks, but I wouldn't take it as an indicator of darkness or you'll end up in places the show isn't intending you to go. It's just a placeholder - a familiar landmark on the area setting's main motorway. I pass it whenever I go main centre shopping. It's a Big Ben or an Angel of the North or (thinking of something American) a Statue of Liberty or a Golden Gate Bridge in terms of a TV shot. Just a location indicator.

by Anonymousreply 21902/08/2015

Thanks r214. I'm going to put it on my list of places I want to visit.

by Anonymousreply 22002/08/2015

R220

Pretty towns in the area that are nice to visit are Lyme Regis and Bridport.

by Anonymousreply 22102/08/2015

Thanks r221. I should have been born rich instead of good looking, then I would have the money to travel to these places. I love to travel.

by Anonymousreply 22202/08/2015

I hope they don't try to squeeze a season three out of this.

by Anonymousreply 22302/08/2015

I was loving this show in the first series and watched the second but I gave up. I just don't care... it's not very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 22402/08/2015

I keep wondering (if very belatedly) they're going to insert the twist that ended the US version. Although it still wouldn't justify a series three.

by Anonymousreply 22502/08/2015

R222 - there's absolutely NO excuse for being good looking and POOR!!!

by Anonymousreply 22602/08/2015

I am British, r219. And, I believe most countries have landmarks, so it wouldn't matter for your argument even if I weren't.

I'm not talking about simply showing a "landmark", I'm talking about the way they are showing that particular landmark - a distorted human figure seen from the perspective of a semi-delirious Hardy as he is driven past in a car with Miller, on the way to some creepy place where some a deep, dark mystery from the past lies.

That reminds me of similar scenes in True Detective. It may not be a conscious influence, but I suspect there is some influence.

by Anonymousreply 22702/08/2015

R227

Apologies for the location confusion!

Truly: I think you are reading WAY too much into it.

by Anonymousreply 22802/08/2015

Thas wee fie bween Air219 an Air tersonteem is sum goan feeyer uht, Miller, beah snow gd all thissss fiein. Ill ah becum cleer nuxht apeissode.

by Anonymousreply 22902/08/2015

r222, I keep thinking the same thing. I hope they don't - it would really screw up the integrity of the first season.

r214, are you single and looking for a soulmate? What a beautiful part of the world to live in. I have to ask: is it easy being gay and living in small coastal communities like that? I am assuming, of course, you are gay since you are posting on DL.

by Anonymousreply 23002/10/2015

LOL r229.

by Anonymousreply 23102/10/2015

Pacemaker insertion is a minor surgery. There is no reason why Det Alec Hardy should not survive it. Even a defibrillator insertion is no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 23202/10/2015

So it seems big tits has something t do with the murders? Her psycho husband is damn sexy. I want Miller and Hardy to hook up.

by Anonymousreply 23302/12/2015

I canna hah the sarjjery! Aye mate dye!

by Anonymousreply 23402/13/2015

No r233, Miller and Hardy should not hook up. It is refreshing to see a man and a woman have a platonic relationship. Besides, there is absolutely no sexual chemistry between the actors.

by Anonymousreply 23502/16/2015

O the other hand, there's a ton of erotic chemistry between the actor who plays Mark and the actor who plays Tom, which is just so wrong on so many levels, but I dared to say it.

by Anonymousreply 23602/16/2015

[quote]No [R233], Miller and Hardy should not hook up. It is refreshing to see a man and a woman have a platonic relationship. Besides, there is absolutely no sexual chemistry between the actors.

Agree, though I really love their banter, which sometimes turns angry, but it's always very honest.

Charlotte Rampling has a killer body. From behind, she can pass for a 30 year old. Amazing, really. Part of it is her proper posture.

by Anonymousreply 23702/16/2015

There's a second season? I liked it more than The Fall or that series about the kid who disappears in France, which had the stupidest ending ever, but all have been disappointing. A lot of hype they couldn't live up to.

by Anonymousreply 23802/17/2015

So, Jocelyn and Maggie were lovers at some point in the past?

by Anonymousreply 23902/17/2015

r238 dont you dare talk shit about THE FALL

by Anonymousreply 24002/17/2015

Never mind. It looks like it was an unconsumed love affair between the ladies.

by Anonymousreply 24102/17/2015

Is "unconsumed" now a DL thing?

by Anonymousreply 24202/17/2015

So the hot husband of the fatty hairdresser did it or not?

by Anonymousreply 24302/17/2015

"So the hot husband of the fatty hairdresser did it or not?"

No, I put my money on the father of the girl. I bet he was shagging the fatty hairdresser and it was his baby she aborted.

by Anonymousreply 24402/17/2015

Honestly, I would place this show behind The Fall and The Missing when it comes to the wave of recent breakout British crime dramas. Watching this season, Charlotte Rampling and the actress playing Beth are the only ones who give strong, subdued performances. Everyone else, with Hiddleston being the prime offender, is really hamming it up.

by Anonymousreply 24502/17/2015

they are ALL behind THE FALL

by Anonymousreply 24602/18/2015

Charlotte Rampling has impeccable posture.

by Anonymousreply 24702/18/2015

[quote]O the other hand, there's a ton of erotic chemistry between the actor who plays Mark and the actor who plays Tom, which is just so wrong on so many levels, but I dared to say it.

I think the tension (which I'm not sure can really be described as erotic) came mostly from show implying they were doing what the dead kid and Joe were doing earlier. Tom actually seems like a possible gay teen but I've seen nothing from Mark that tells of any kind of interest in teen boys. If you're saying that you see erotic tension between the actual actors then we step into the Bryan Singer World.

by Anonymousreply 24802/18/2015

[quote]No, I put my money on the father of the girl. I bet he was shagging the fatty hairdresser and it was his baby she aborted.

But that would make Hardy the villain of the show, what with his relentless pursuit of the hot husband and ruining his life and all.

The Fall is mesmerizing, yes, but I like Broadchurch a lot. It's not brilliant but it is thoroughly entertaining and I am, at this point, totally attached to the charcaters and their small town lives.

Jamie Dornan and Agent Scully are what makes The Fall great. The Missing was good, even with the " the fox did it" finale, and The Honorable Woman was great. I am addicted to british TV shows now (and I like Black Mirror too)

by Anonymousreply 24902/18/2015

R206, I'm glad they decided to do a second season. And BTW it's an ITV show, not BBC.

The first season was melodramatic and pathetic in many ways. This season feels much more natural and that's why I like it. First season's portrayal of all the characters and their presumed secrets got a bit a tedious and somehow almost all ended up being quite caricaturish. This season has made them come alive, at least in my eyes.

Olivia Colman is great and I realized during the last episode that so is Jodie Whittaker who plays dead kid's mom.

I'm liking the James D'Arcy/Eve Myles drama. Bringing in another case certainly freshened up the show. BTW did anyone else wonder did D'Arcy's character have something going on with the neighbor dad played by Shaun Dooley? They seemed to be playing in the forest but it was only a brief moment. D'Arcy would be perfectly believable as a bisexual slut.

by Anonymousreply 25002/18/2015

"But that would make Hardy the villain of the show, what with his relentless pursuit of the hot husband and ruining his life and all."

Meh, Hardy's not perfect.

Are we still believing that the only two suspects are the hot boyfriend and the fatty hairdresser?

I'm telling you, if Twin Peaks taught me anything it's that the father did it.

by Anonymousreply 25102/18/2015

The question is: is Lisa Newbury still alive and, if she is, is she in France?

Also, was Lisa having an affair with her uncle, Ricky Gillespie?

by Anonymousreply 25202/18/2015

r250, I am thinking there was an orgy thing going on, Leo and Ricky were "teammates" in having it on with the girls.

by Anonymousreply 25302/18/2015

R250, in the US I believe it's shown on BBC America, which is why some American viewers might think it's a BBC show.

There's nothing bisexual about Lee Ashworth and nothing implying there is something sexual going on between him and Ricky Gillespie.

Lee killed Pippa, but the big mystery (aside from why he did that) is what happened to Lisa.

by Anonymousreply 25402/18/2015

So, does the Miller's husband get away with murder? That cliffhanger sucked.

by Anonymousreply 25502/18/2015

NO SPOILERS Pleeeease!

by Anonymousreply 25602/19/2015

[quote]NO SPOILERS Pleeeease!

What the hell are we gonna talk about if not what's happening in the show? David Tennant's hair color?

by Anonymousreply 25702/19/2015

I know, R257. I'm not sure why, after all these years, people still come into these threads then bitch that someone talked about last night's show. That's what these threads are for. It's the assholes do things like post who wins Survivor or Amazing Race by the 3rd post that suck. As for some of the comments made about 'whodunnit' - it's just speculation, R256, not spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 25802/19/2015

Tonight's the series 2 finale and we'll know if the fatty hairdresser's husband did it or not and if Miller's husband gonna be convicted.

by Anonymousreply 25902/23/2015

"Tonight's the series 2 finale and we'll know if the fatty hairdresser's husband did it or not and if Miller's husband gonna be convicted."

They both did it and they will be put in a cell together and a new show will be formed called Prison Buddies.

by Anonymousreply 26002/23/2015

I'd totally be prison buddies with the hot psycho husband

by Anonymousreply 26102/23/2015

I bet Miller's husband gets off. I don't care who turns out to be the killer of both or one of the girls.

by Anonymousreply 26202/23/2015

Thirty-six-year old grandma:

by Anonymousreply 26302/23/2015

The killer is a broad named Church.

by Anonymousreply 26402/23/2015

Five more minutes!

by Anonymousreply 26502/23/2015

Broadchurch season 3 confirmed, both Tennant and Colman returning.

by Anonymousreply 26602/23/2015

**Spoilers about the finale.**

It was an ok season finale. The whole Joe thing was handled quite well but I must say I didn't feel too satisfied about the girl murders reveal. I mean the scenario was almost completely believable etc. but the suspense wasn't really there.

I sincerely hope the premise for Season 3 isn't that they've found Joe's body from the beach.

In any case I enjoyed this season much more than the first and I will be watching the third as well.

by Anonymousreply 26702/23/2015

Terrible. I didn't know anything could be this bad.

by Anonymousreply 26802/23/2015

Well, presumably series 3 will be about the appeal for the barrister's son - the third case to be investigated. Can't see how they work Tennant and Colman into that, however.

I liked the resolution of both plot strands in tonight's episode.

by Anonymousreply 26902/23/2015

***Spoiler alerts***

I told you bitches it was him. My guess at motive was wrong, but I had the right killer. If Twin Peaks taught me anything, it's always the father!

by Anonymousreply 27002/23/2015

"Broadchurch season 3 confirmed, both Tennant and Colman returning."

I'm so happy about this. They work so well together as actors.

And to the person (people?) who have worked on the show and post here, if you are working on the show again, please tell the cast how much I (who live in the USA) love this show. It is so well written, so well acted and miles ahead of anything on US tv.

by Anonymousreply 27102/23/2015

R269, I hope not. I could not stand the defense barrister and her son's story was a distraction.

I loved the vert ending at the beach. One I'd those moments if tranquility that cannot last. Dark clouds are on the horizon.

by Anonymousreply 27202/23/2015

I liked it. Some loose ends but oh well. Bye Lee, we hardly knew ya, you hot son of a bitch! Fatty hairdresser was the instigator of Pippa's murder, what an evil biatch. I too am not interested in the Marianne Jean Baptiste plot. Whatever. Waiting for the inevitable Miller/Hardy hookup in season 3. The ending scene was quite nice. Both families reconnecting etc. When does series 3 start? Any presumed date?

by Anonymousreply 27302/23/2015

R270, I don't know what you think you understood, but it wasn't the father.

by Anonymousreply 27402/24/2015

r274, I don't know what show you were watching. Please explain who you think killed the first girl?

by Anonymousreply 27502/24/2015

Her uncle.

by Anonymousreply 27602/24/2015

I meant it was the father of the girl she was babysitting. Damn, my lousy communication skills. But yes, it was her uncle.

by Anonymousreply 27702/24/2015

So, did the uncle harbor incestuous feelings towards blondie? Why did he react with such fury to her calling him a bastard?

by Anonymousreply 27802/24/2015

The uncle was already a skeev because he roofied his own daughter.

by Anonymousreply 27902/24/2015

Yeah, wtf was that? He had a flask with roofied booze to drug girls in bars and he used it on his 12 year old daughter too? WTF??

by Anonymousreply 28002/24/2015

Kind of anti-climactic. If S3 is about the lawyer's son, it would be a waste.

by Anonymousreply 28102/25/2015

I hope S3 does not have Marianne Jean Baptiste in it. Her character was unsymphatetic even when she was dealing with her son. Besides, if the story cetnered on her son it would not be taking place in Broadchurch, would it?

by Anonymousreply 28202/25/2015

Although, S3 could be good if Jocelyn's attempt at working with Marianne is to fuck her over. She didn't like losing, and maybe she now feels the need to 'teach' Marianne a lesson? That, and throw in a dead Joe Miller as a whodunnit, and it might be okay.

by Anonymousreply 28302/25/2015

I was sad for Baptiste that her character was so unlikable. I like her as an actor.

I can't see what else S3 will be about. It follows the S1-S2 lead, in that a case in the background comes to the foreground. We also had the scene with Jocelyn offering to take the case.

We might see Joe trying to come back, I suppose, but there's no mystery in that. I don't think the show creators intend any mystery there: he's definitely guilty but the court case failed. Unless they're going to base the whole series on a public interest exception to double jeopardy? (We do have that in the UK).

by Anonymousreply 28402/25/2015

I'm that there will be a Charlotte Rampling/Marianne Jean-Baptiste brilliant battling barristers storyline, with a subplot about Jean-Baptiste's son, but I don't think it will be the main, or even a main, storyline.

I wonder if there will be an attempt to find new evidence against Joe Miller, since that is the only way he could be tried again. On the other hand, I think the main focus will be a new story.

The Hardy/Miller duo will still be at the new series' core.

by Anonymousreply 28502/25/2015

I actually liked Marianne Jean Baptiste's character. She comes into this sleepy community and is a force to be dealt with. I think it gave a good shakeup to the show. But the son backstory really didn't do a lot for me.

I'm hoping that Season 3 goes back to the formula of Season 1. I want to see David Tennant and Oliva Colman given as much screen time as they can get because they are interesting to watch, both being a bit hesitant with each other.

But also of great importance, I want to see the citizens of Broadchurch. I want to see the woman who lives in the trailer (caravan). I wish they hadn't killed off the older man who owned the store. I loved how you were led to believe he was creepy until you heard his backstory. I want to see the woman who runs the hotel and the minister and the woman who runs the paper. These are interesting characters.

I'm wondering if in Season 3, new evidence will surface to cast doubt on the bald guy who works with the father.

But whatever the storyline is, give us more of the citizens of Broadchurch.

by Anonymousreply 28602/25/2015

I thought season 1 was overrated, but enjoyable. Season 2 was a slog to get through, though. I honestly don't understand how this got renewed for a third season. Isn't it only the US that drives shows into the ground? The UK is usually much better about leaving well enough alone.

by Anonymousreply 28702/25/2015

Well, R287, we're on the 6.517th series of Silent Witness, so not necessarily.

by Anonymousreply 28802/25/2015

So, no season 3 until 2016?

by Anonymousreply 28902/27/2015

"So, no season 3 until 2016?"

That's the way the Brits do it. 6-8 episodes per year. So I imagine Season 3 will be January or February 2016.

by Anonymousreply 29002/27/2015

Damn! I need more Broadchurch and The Fall.

by Anonymousreply 29102/27/2015

Chris Chibnall always planned Broadchurch as a trilogy.

Don't know when S3 will be. Olivia Colman just announced that she is pregnant and David Tennant has a pretty packed schedule this year (the Marvel series currently shooting in NY, then another film shooting out of England, then a play at the end of 2015). They might not be able to film until 2016.

by Anonymousreply 29202/28/2015

Nice ending. I'm glad they didn't go the predictable cheesy route of another whodunnit, especially since Joe's killer could never truly be a shock after another year of twists and turns. They chose the high road, showed solidarity and love conquering all. The reunion on the beach was a classy touch. The episode ran like a complete closure, as if it were written just in case it wasn't picked up for another year. Next series can be a fresh start.

by Anonymousreply 29303/01/2015

Season two starts in the US this coming Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 29403/02/2015

The resolution of the Sandbrook case could have gone anyway, as it was. Lee, Claire, Ricky, Mrs Gillespie, Laura .... it all really didn't matter who did it in the end. We didn't really know these characters to get too invested in them. This story only affected Hardy and Miller.

The fault of this season was that the two major cases (Sandbrook and Joe's trial) didn't really integrate with one another. Having Claire present at the trial's verdict was a shoddy attempt to have the two cases cross paths in both storyline's climactic moments. More should have been done to tightly weave the stories together, using each to reflect or foreshadow one another in their respective individuals evolutions.

Case in point: we saw Beth and Mrs Gillespie meet in season one - why couldn't we have seen them develop a friendship in season 2, complicating Beth's already strained relationship with Elly? Drifter Lee Ashford could have gotten a job with Mark, become friends with possible psycho in the making Nigel, maybe even develop a fascination for Beth, infuriating Claire? The Sandbrook players should have been drawn into the Broadchurch murder case in some fateful hookups and complicated crossroads.

I still like the show and plan on sticking with it because I have come to really love the characters and the mood and style of the show, but I'm hoping that season 3 is a little more careful in structuring its stories.

by Anonymousreply 29503/02/2015

Danny's father aka Ephra Stein is hawt

by Anonymousreply 29603/02/2015

Yes, Danny's father is the hottest guy on the show. Would love to have seen him get into a real twisted relationship with freaky Claire.

by Anonymousreply 29703/02/2015

Claire the fatty hairdresser? Dear Gawd, no. Maybe with the hot priest?

by Anonymousreply 29803/02/2015

[quote] n. Isn't it only the US that drives shows into the ground?

You've obviously never heard of Ab Fab, Dr Who, Coronation Street, East Enders....

by Anonymousreply 29903/02/2015

Just started watching season 2 on BBCA. I like the cast additions--always loved Eve Myles in "Torchwood" and Charlotte Rampling is, well, Charlotte Fucking Rampling.

Tennant is a fine actor when in his element, which he clearly is surrounded by this cast in this location. As hard as he tried in "Gracepoint," it just didn't quite work.

by Anonymousreply 30003/13/2015

S2 was less intimate than S1 partly because in S1, the plot was revealed to characters same as for the audience. In S2, the characters lied, and you'd see a flashback betraying the lie. So the audience sees beyond the characters. That's distancing. Both seasons were gripping, and I love Colman now and will find her other work. Tennant? I can't believe this guy's famous. He always wears the dumbest come-face with every exertion. The rest of the cast was great. It was chilling to see sturdy Susan lumber back into town. "We all knew!" The show's not just a crime show. It's really about how everyone has secrets, everyone's story can be twisted and picked at. S1 left everyone in town ruined, and it seemed unmendable.

by Anonymousreply 30103/13/2015

R301

If you enjoyed Pauline Quirke as Susan, it's worth seeking out The Sculptress, a BBC adaptation of a Minette Walters crime novel. She was excellent in that.

by Anonymousreply 30203/13/2015

"The show's not just a crime show. It's really about how everyone has secrets, everyone's story can be twisted and picked at."

Which is why I loved S1. The ensemble work was so great and getting into the stories of the entire town was fascinating.

I really think they could make an interesting series just about life in a small town, what goes on behind the curtains and what goes on in the town square.

by Anonymousreply 30303/13/2015

In other words, you want Broadchurch to be the UK version of Cabot Cove.

by Anonymousreply 30403/13/2015

R 179, Actually there was a problem with the online streaming of episode 3 on the ITV player -- on January 19 at 9PM UK time. No sooner had Mark Latimer picked up newborn Lizzie, than the player went offline and a message came up saying the player was undergoing maintenance! It stayed off for 5 or so minutes and then went off again for about 10 minutes in the second half of the show, coming back just when Ellie got called to the stand. Later that week, users wanting to watch online on ITV complained it had been taken down.

And guess what? I saw tweets on March 18 complaining that the BBC America broadcast quality looked like it was video taped.

I'm the one who posted on another forum when it looked okay on a later rebroadcast on SHOWCASE Canada (not Showtime). Too bad the person who copied that comment didn't bring my whole comment over about the original ITV Player stream.

I'm no expert, but I'd say the video quality in the Canadian and US broadcasts could have been related to the ITV player problems when it was originally streamed out.

by Anonymousreply 30504/05/2015

Just started watching series 2. Wow...!

by Anonymousreply 30604/13/2015

I'm watching on BBC America and has seen all six so far. What a tale, I can't wait to see the last two.

by Anonymousreply 30704/14/2015

David Tennant's overacting almost ruined Season 2 for me. In fact, everybody involved with the Sandhurst case, except for Olivia Colman, seriously grated on my nerves for the same reason. However, Season 2 is worth it if for nothing else to enjoy what Charlotte Rampling brings to it.

by Anonymousreply 30804/14/2015

Is that newspaper editor the love of Charlotte's life, the one that got away? They seem pretty cozy.

by Anonymousreply 30904/14/2015

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 31004/14/2015

If you want to watch or rewatch both seasons

by Anonymousreply 31104/19/2015

It was such a mess that I gave up on it. It wasn't even a hot mess.. It got to the point where I didn't care who killed anybody or whether or not any missing persons were dead or alive. Too bad; I really liked the first series.

by Anonymousreply 31204/19/2015

Tonight is series 2 finale on BBC America

by Anonymousreply 31304/22/2015

Nice wrap up

by Anonymousreply 31404/23/2015
Need more help? Click Here.