Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Tom Hiddleston a good actor?

What's your opinion? I think he's good-looking and fit the role well, but I think he's an above average actor, not an awesome actor.

by Anonymousreply 57709/15/2013

He was kind of hammy and bad in "Deep Blue Sea."

I fear he has run his course and will show up on TV soon.

by Anonymousreply 108/03/2013

I don't think anyone has ever accused him of being an awesome actor. I mean, on the basis of what?

by Anonymousreply 208/03/2013

Lets put it this way, he is no Michael Fassbender.

by Anonymousreply 408/03/2013

I disagree. I think he is a good actor, though I don't find him all that attractive. At times perhaps, and I do like his physique, but his face is just so so.

But I do think he is good. I first noticed him in Wallander, though his part was small, I though he was good in it. He was good in War Horse, and good in the first Thor. Avengers was a campfest and it was fun for what it was, and he was fine for the part.

I didn't see Deep Blue Sea, but I thought he was a great Fitzgerald in Midnight in Paris. Again, a small part, but very well done.

But what I really enjoyed was his Henry in the Hollow Crown series. It is a more "realistic" portrayal of the play, rather than stagey. I thought he was very convincing in making the lines really sound "Conversational" rather than expository which is exactly what the director wanted. It wasn't a classic way to portray a Shakespearean character but it was accessible and believable. Even though he is of slight build, he was believable in the battle scenes as well.

Only Lovers Left alive looks interesting and he and Tilda got very good reviews for it at Cannes.

So I do think he is a good actor and I think he gives what the director wants.

I do not, however, think he will ever be leading man material in a traditional sense because of his looks. Not that he is homely, but he really isn't handsome. He is interesting looking I guess. Then again, Bogart was butt ugly and did the leading man thing for years.

by Anonymousreply 508/03/2013

Bogart was a rose-lipped beauty before heavy smoking and drinking gave him shar pei face and he started playing tough guys. Louise Brooks said he hated being so pretty.

by Anonymousreply 608/03/2013

Tom will get a chance to prove what he's made of when he plays Coriolanus for the National Theatre this season. It wouldn't be that hard to be an improvement on Ralph Fiennes in that insufferable movie version.

by Anonymousreply 708/03/2013

The only thing I've seen him in is "The Only Lovers Left Alive" and I thought he was quite good in it

by Anonymousreply 808/03/2013

He's genuinely got onscreen charisma; but Loki is a campy villain role that any handsome ham can play.

by Anonymousreply 908/03/2013

He's so terribly bland. I have no idea why the fraus and pre-teens get so worked up over him.

by Anonymousreply 1008/03/2013

I've only seen him as Loki, and in "Midnight in Paris". As Loki he was campy and sexy, and as Fitzgerald he looked handsome but weak.

This in spite of the fact that he looks like a weasel in real life. I've found that only the best actors can play people who are significantly more attractive than they are, so I suspect Hiddleston may prove to be very good.

by Anonymousreply 1108/03/2013

he is such a fame whore....I don't think a play or movie has an opening night in London where Tom is not out front posing for the press (always dateless BTW)

by Anonymousreply 1208/03/2013

Let's say he's at least better than Cheyenne Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 1308/03/2013

I don't know, as I've only seen hi as Loki. But he wins huge points for appearing at Comic-Con in character.

by Anonymousreply 1408/03/2013

He is a blond in real life, yes? Looks much better with dark hair.

He was sensational as Loki.

by Anonymousreply 1508/03/2013

Take a Brit and dye him black. Works every time.

by Anonymousreply 1608/03/2013

Has too thin a CV and has shown too little range to tell. A little too theatrical for my tastes so far on screen, but I'm told he's got promise on stage although I've never seen him on stage myself, what with the VERY thin CV an' all.

by Anonymousreply 1708/04/2013

I think Tom is a fine actor and I think he takes direction well. For Loki he had to ham it up, especially in the Avengers. His Loki from Thor was more subtle, especially in the beginning. He played the duality of his character well.

In Deep Blue Sea, I thought he was directed to be somewhat over the top because the woman's life, prior to meeting him was so very dull and lifeless. Then she meets this man who seems to embody all the passion and intensity that she has never experienced before. Tom's performance didn't feel hammy as much as it was exaggerated to make a point.

Midnight in Paris showed no hamminess, he was good in the small role.

He was in 2 Joanna Hogg films, both were pretty much snoozefests for me, but Tom was very good in his role. And he showed some good comedic timing in Suburban Shootout, and some good subtlety in Return to Cranford as Wallander.

So far it seems like the critics love Only Lovers Left Alive, but I think Tom will be overshadowed by Tilda Swinton as she is a critic's darling.

His Henry was very good as well. A different take on Shakespeare, but again, I think that was the point.

Is he a Ham and attention whore off stage? Yes!

There is a clip from one of the Avenger's panels a last year, where it was obvious that Chris Evans was completely annoyed with the screaming fan girls and Tom's pandering to them. I imagine the "happy family" image they all tried to project was very different off camera. I think they probably got along well during filming, but once they started the press tour and Tom went into action with the fans, He was probably not very loved by the group.

If I were Hemsworth, I would especially be annoyed with him. No one gives a shit about Thor, it is all Loki/Tom all the time. Hemsworth seems pretty chill though, so hopefully he is ok with it.

by Anonymousreply 1808/04/2013

I think Tom is a good actor especially from the clips that I've seen of the Hollow Crown. But let's face it: Loki put him on the map. He was the best thing in Thor(which isn't saying much). You don't expect great acting in a superhero movie and you're not disappointed. Even Anthony Hopkins snoozed his way through Odin's role. But he more than held his own in The Avengers, so again, that's a positive. If you look at his TV appearances like Wallander he was good but his performance didn't leap off the screen. He was excellent in War Horse and just OK, IMO in Deep Blue Sea. He does have good comedic timing and a terrific voice which he knows how to use to good effect. Now he needs to break out of the Marvel franchise and nab a serious leading man role that will hopefully showcase his talents.

by Anonymousreply 1908/05/2013

R10 It's his voice. Great voice.

by Anonymousreply 2008/06/2013

I like him as an actor. I think all the fandom goes crazy for him because it seems he fully embraced being Loki. I love that scene of him and Odin when he finds out the truth. He put a lot of emotion into that character and that came across.

I liked him as Fitzgerald and I did see Deep Blue Sea and liked him in that as well, I just didn't like the movie itself.

by Anonymousreply 2108/07/2013

The new trailer for Thor 2 has more of him. I guess they are trying to show that yes, he's in it. See the film, fangirls.

by Anonymousreply 2208/08/2013

He acted like he enjoyed Brannagh's penis....that is all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 2308/08/2013

Well, yesterday he revealed he's voicing young Captain Hook in a straight-to-dvd Disney movie called "The Pirate Fairy."

Does that answer the thread question?

by Anonymousreply 2408/10/2013

R18 Chris Hemsworth reminds me of giant grizzly dogs that don't give a shit about anyone because they know that if they get up shits gonna go down.

by Anonymousreply 2508/10/2013

R25 you're exactly right, and that's why I like Hemsworth in spite of the fact that he can't act.

What can I say, I like big dogs, and strong, good-natured men.

by Anonymousreply 2608/10/2013

I bet Hiddleston's a good bottom.

by Anonymousreply 2708/11/2013

Tom Hiddleston as a topic needs to be banned from DL!!!

by Anonymousreply 2808/11/2013

IS that Disney movie really straight to DVD or is that just a prediction?

If it is straight to DVD, then that is unfortunate. I think Tom has talent, but I don't think his looks translate into leading man material and I think those are the roles he is going for.

He will be better served by staying with quirky indies like Only Lovers Left Alive, with an occasional return as villainous Loki for a few more films. He should do more stage work and not worry about big film projects. Big film stars often have shorter shelf lives than character actors do, and imo, that is the route Tom should take. He is not suited for leading man, or superhero roles. And that is not an insult. As his turn in Loki proves, often it is the lesser part that steals the show and requires more talent

by Anonymousreply 2908/12/2013

I'm starting to feel bad for the guy. He's taking quite a beating professionally this year, and now he's taking another one here.

Thanks to the friend of his RADA classmates on the humblebragging thread for the final post.

Here's hoping the experience of this year will bring him some actual humility.

Quick, name me some trust fund babies who actually were aware of their massive privilege, and were not out of touch with the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 3008/12/2013

the new hiddleston thread can be found right here: ajax.html#page:showThread,12797180

by Anonymousreply 3108/12/2013

I think he should stick with stage work. He does not strike me as a leading man. And he's a bit hard to root for lately... Too famewhorey.

by Anonymousreply 3208/22/2013

Most of what Tom has done so far has been pretty good. At least he has not bored me ad many actors including Michael Fassbinder has done in Jane Eyre. He was brilliant as Hal and Henry Vth which is when I first began to take note of him.I like his earlier Joanna Hogg films and what I do admire his diversity in the roles he plays.I do it is early days and given the right roles he could be exceptional. I watched the Avengers panel and saw it vey differently. One of the reasons I started to take an interest in Chris Evan's was because he was just so affable in that panel and he and Tom seem get along so well whenever you see them together.

by Anonymousreply 3308/30/2013

New thread?

by Anonymousreply 3409/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 3509/03/2013

He looks better when he's not smiling

by Anonymousreply 3609/03/2013

I don't like the suit, I like velvet jacket, but the rest is kind a meh

by Anonymousreply 3709/03/2013

Chris Burke from Life Goes On is a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 3809/03/2013

I wouldn't pair that jacket with those trousers, but I'm not Tom. Sam is looking good, though.

Hey look, another post.

by Anonymousreply 3909/03/2013

I just looked at GQ's instagram, and there's a pic of Emma Watson on there. Guess who's behind her? lmao. The ever present Luke Windsor! Double babysitting duties.

by Anonymousreply 4009/03/2013

Nick Frost too is one of his clients

by Anonymousreply 4109/03/2013

He has a gorgeous body - lithe, svelte, and taut. The face is alright, though, and he's a very average actor. Still, he seems sweet.

by Anonymousreply 4209/03/2013

I agree he has a great voice and lots of on-screen charisma. More style than substance. He's been competent enough in everything I've seen him in (I thought he was particularly affecting in "War Horse") but he'll never win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 4309/03/2013

mediocre actor. he was smart to use his twinky good looks when he still had them, no doubt few nights on branaghs casting couch was worth it.

loki is a classic example of how internet distorts the impression of someone's popularity. nobody knows or cares about loki (or indeed hiddleston) outside the tumblr fangirl circle but they can take over polls and such and give a false impression to marvel that the crowd is starving for more screentime for the character.

either way, this guy has way too many connections to disappear. no doubt he will have a long career and always be surrounded by fellow posh ass kissers.

by Anonymousreply 4409/03/2013

Well... if arthy is/was there, she didn't do the red carpet with him.

But following the GQ twitter and GQ editor seems too coincidental, so she must have known he was going.

by Anonymousreply 4509/03/2013

So, what does it mean?

by Anonymousreply 4609/03/2013

He was alone. If he were not alone, he would have been with someone. It's all pretty simple. Other actors figure this out all the time and walk the carpets with their significant others and don;t die from it. When he actually had a girlfriend he didn't seem to have a problem with this. What I notice is that he always seems to be alone.

What do you all think of the Twitter "Free Loki" campaign? Doesn't that sound just a tad Tinkerbell? Tweet and clap your hands and maybe he will come out in costume and tell you to kneel. Oh my! Please God tell me that we won't have to hear this for the next two months.

My theory is that Thor 2 is in deep kimchi but Marvel execs really want to frame all these late shoots as a positive, because, you know, perception is reality. The Loki fangirls can at least be counted on for their enthusiasm. Its free advertising really.

by Anonymousreply 4709/03/2013

I don’t see her following of GQ’s accounts “too coincidental”, to be honest. Don’t forget: she communicated with Tom, one way or the other. Such kind of events are preplanned and are put in his list beforehand. He could’ve told her before. If she is there or not, will be clear when the photos of the ceremony surface. If she is his + 1, I assume, they’ll be sitting at the same table.

by Anonymousreply 4809/03/2013

Why hiding her on red carpet and then sittin at the same table? Do they know there are cameras everywere? Luke must know that

by Anonymousreply 4909/03/2013

Picture of him and Arthy together at the awards please?

Luke knows how to do things. Having one of his most desperate clients present an award to one of his most well-known.

by Anonymousreply 5009/03/2013

I don't want to live in a world where Emma Watson is woman of the year. Goodbye cruel world.

by Anonymousreply 5109/03/2013

How convenient. Luke Windsor's client Tom presents 'Woman of the Year' award to Luke Windsor's client Emma Watson. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 5209/03/2013

He's shit. I do not understand why he's been given leading roles in plays like Henry V.

Just compare TH's Henry V soliloquy before Agincourt with Kenneth Branagh's.

by Anonymousreply 5309/03/2013

Oh, as an actor, he is completely mediocre and overrated. He has reached his point of incompetence and it is all catching up on him. I think he will always have employment because of his posh connections and his willingness to kiss ass, but even with expert direction he is at best acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 5409/03/2013

But you know the fangirls will eagerly lap up anything he does.

by Anonymousreply 5509/03/2013

R55 Only as long as he plays Loki.

by Anonymousreply 5609/03/2013

[R56] TH's fandom is primarily Loki fandom. I think when he leaves that role, the fangirls will quiet down really fast.

We only hear about this guy because of Loki. Hemsworth has managed to segue Thor into a real career, but TH is not doing too well.

by Anonymousreply 5709/03/2013

R57 Agreed, outside of Loki, Hiddleston's fame is miniscule. The irony is that Hiddleston can act rings around Hemsworth.

CH is getting a lot of roles because of his physicality and living in LA. Whedon loves him. But if you see his performance in Cabin in the Woods, it's pretty wooden. Ditto for Red Dawn. Snow White and the Huntsman is basically him playing a variation of Thor in Medieval England -- though compared to Kristen Stewart's one-note performance, Hemsworth is Laurence Olivier. CH's reviews so far for Rush have been very good though.

Hiddleston should get a nice bump from the fangirls for Thor 2. Hopefully he'll be busier in 2014 than he was this year.

by Anonymousreply 5809/03/2013

Yeah, the Tom Hiddleston fans I know are primarily Avengers movieverse fans who found him that way and have no interest in him outside of that role.

by Anonymousreply 5909/03/2013

[R58] I agree with this. The 2 Hemsworth brothers in Hollywood are mainly lucky for their looks and build. Their poor elder brother is stuck in Australia because he doesn't look as hunky as his brothers.

by Anonymousreply 6009/03/2013

It's funny because Tumblr has many fangirls who fawn over every single thing Tom Hiddleston does. His photoshoots, every single interview, every single role especially those which show his crotch very prominently. I'd say they like TH because of his dick. Which is not a bad thing to fawn over, have you seen that dick bounce on his horse in War Horse?

by Anonymousreply 6109/03/2013

But, of course. You can rely on those girls to make slow motion close up gifs of that scene.

by Anonymousreply 6209/03/2013

Is this the new Tom Hiddleston thread? Must be.

by Anonymousreply 6309/03/2013

R60 ITA,Luke Hemsworth looks nothing like Chris or Liam. They look a lot alike. Liam is a bit handsomer than Chris mainly because his eyes are larger. Too bad for Liam that Paranoia tanked. I do think Chris looks better when he's bulked up to play Thor. He lost >30lbs to play James Hunt in Rush and while he's still handsome, minus his muscles he's not swoonworthy.

Hiddles, OTOH must be reading all of these boards because he said in a recent interview that he had to lose weight to play Adam in OLLA. I call BS cause he's still too thin and it's aging his face prematurely along with too much sun.

by Anonymousreply 6509/03/2013

So the troll with the alleged Arthy date theory at these awards is still trying to convince people she actually was there but nobody saw her,yes? The fact is,she was really dressed up as Emma Watson...

by Anonymousreply 6609/04/2013

I almost think they have some poetic idea about said body part [R62]. Could also come from the fact that some haven't interacted with one yet in their life

by Anonymousreply 6709/04/2013

The reason why he shows up alone at these things is probably because he has nobody he wants to show to anyone. He hasn't had issues showing up with exes or rumored exes in the past, so unless one of them traumatized him forever, he probably will not have issues doing it in the future either. Those "yeah but X and Y were also behind him that one time" theories, I just wanna ask, is he still with said X and Y ? So clearly there was nothing to show then either, that's why the person being there but then not really up for display.

I think he's the kind that if he has something to show or share, he's gonna get very excited about it and show it to everyone

by Anonymousreply 6809/04/2013

TH took Arthy to Wimbledon and then makes her disappear but keep in contact? Please.

Given her job, she likely knew who would presents the GQ Awards and that's why she followed GQ. Same reason she follows Thor2 or she started to follow (and then unfollow) TheLoveBook and Whedon etc. They are connected to him and she's desperate to show him that she is still interested in him. If you're with somebody you don't need to follow twitter accounts to express your interest and support, you do it when you are with him.

by Anonymousreply 6909/04/2013

It would be easier if he were gay. Fangirls would be a lot more accepting of his SO. Less likely to be jealous.

by Anonymousreply 7109/04/2013

I wish he and that Macmillan fellow were indeed dating. They look cute together.

by Anonymousreply 7209/04/2013

I disagree with the "he treated her badly" theory. The woman ran her mouth with a journalist saying she was his girlfriend at the first chance and he obviously cut her out. Whatever was going on with her ended that moment. Clearly she was more interested in what dating him would mean for her than dating him period. I repeat, she doesn't follow his activities on twitter because she is confused, but because she screwed up and desperate to fix it.

by Anonymousreply 7309/04/2013

[quote]Oh, as an actor, he is completely mediocre and overrated.

Then why, r54 et al, do you go to such lengths to fabricate supposed interactions with him and obsessively and continually stalk him and his date all over the internet?

Seek help. You are unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 7409/04/2013

I want to see him do gangster

by Anonymousreply 7509/04/2013

R75 His role in Black Wings Has My Angel is a gangster, right? I hope they resume production on that soon.

by Anonymousreply 7609/04/2013

I think some of his fangirls need professional help... I quote:

"Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr. Tom Hiddleston is not on tumblr."

by Anonymousreply 7709/04/2013

[R70] I'm all for empowered women but this one just doesn't seem too bright, so I really don't think he treated her badly. It probably was clear from the get go she's a repeated hookup but nothing more. If she had done some research (and I'm sure she did, because my feeling is that they didn't accidentally meet and she did some stalking) she would have known he's not looking for a wife. Probably, as all geniuses do, she assumed she's gonna be "the one who changes him *insert little hearts here*" and ended up calling herself his girlfriend before he did. Which is never a good idea. We all know what happened next. She just didn't play any card right and really comes across desperate more than anything. I mean she might really really like him,heck she might even be in love with him, but you have to make sure the other one feels the same. Smother them with one-sided amour and you'll have a runner

by Anonymousreply 7809/04/2013

We all know he googles himself, probably doing it right now to see the reactions from last night.

by Anonymousreply 7909/04/2013

I think he reads the threads here about himself too. Why does he do this?

by Anonymousreply 8009/04/2013

I wondered that too. He's only going to get other people's views (even if they are sometimes speculation). It would send a normal person crazy.

by Anonymousreply 8109/04/2013

I'd still be curious if I was him. Or if I had anything to google about myself

by Anonymousreply 8209/04/2013

Tom, please dont read this thread or other threads about you! Pls, you cannot control what others think. You are fine the way you are.

by Anonymousreply 8309/04/2013

All he's going to get here is discussions about his sex life and the fact that's he's prematurely ageing. But then again what does he expect to see on message boards? Not everyone is going to like him *sigh* Live and let it be Tom, you can never change this whilst in the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 8409/04/2013

No, he's a dreadful actor. He's wooden and he always sounds like he's "acting".

by Anonymousreply 8509/04/2013

I often wonder why TH fans who can't stand a single critic against him come here. Go back to your blogs already.

by Anonymousreply 8609/04/2013

He arrived alone and left alone. Let's close the Arthy case.

by Anonymousreply 8709/04/2013

The phrase Tom Hiddleston needs to be blocked webmaster!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8809/04/2013

R87 - Jebus, he takes the swag. Poor little unemployed actor. What a turn-off.

by Anonymousreply 8909/04/2013

The only thing that is big in his CV is Loki , even then he could be replaced when they decide to do a remake in years to come. What's this thing with him and Fassbender I've read about ? Someone said he's bitter about him

by Anonymousreply 9009/04/2013

r89, maybe he gives the swag away or donates it to charity.

by Anonymousreply 9109/04/2013

I bet he displays the swag in the same room as he displays all his Loki stuff and maybe the panties that his fangirls have sent him.

by Anonymousreply 9209/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 9309/04/2013

Is that her with him meeting him outside the car in the first photo?

by Anonymousreply 9409/04/2013

It's the ombre hair, isn't it? I thought it might be her too. If it's her, where did she go? Why didn't they leave together? If they hugged on the red carpet in front of the fans, why not go in together?

by Anonymousreply 9509/04/2013

Because Luke's paranoid. But yes, that's her getting out of the car with Tom

by Anonymousreply 9609/04/2013

The ends of her hair look darker and longer in the Wimbledon pics but she obviously could have had a cut and dye. Wonder if any fans saw her and have said anything.

by Anonymousreply 9709/04/2013

Where do you see her getting out of the car with him exactly? He was alone.

Also that ombre hair is different from how she had it at Wimbledon, much blonder. Go compare pics.

by Anonymousreply 9809/04/2013

R97 Not only fans would have mentioned him hugging her on the red carpet, but paparazzi and mags would have made an article about it. She is not the only woman with ombre hair.

by Anonymousreply 9909/04/2013

She's just followed another fangirl on twitter. And what does Luke have to be paroid about? Tom has had girlfriends in the past and there was no problem

by Anonymousreply 10009/04/2013

That's the only she gets news about him.

by Anonymousreply 10109/04/2013

Following fangirls? Well, I guess he does too, but that's a bit much.

As is Tom presenting Emma her award. Who wrote the ceremony--their publicist?

by Anonymousreply 10209/04/2013

I don't think that fangirl even follows her in the first place. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 10309/04/2013

Nearly everyone there was a client of Luke's. Douglas Booth. Nick Frost. Etc. The guest list was basically Public Eye's entire catalogue.

And Jane following a girl who is obviously a fangirl is weird.

by Anonymousreply 10409/04/2013

Tom (and Douglas') stylist is Luke Day, Fashion Editor of GQ.

So it's all a bit wanky all around, isn't it? Get money, Luke Windsor.

by Anonymousreply 10509/04/2013

The thing is , only a small amount of fangirls didn't like her. The other nutters were planning the wedding. But playing with fangirls emotions is wrong and dangerous . Silly man

by Anonymousreply 10609/04/2013

OH thanks for that re: Luke Day. That makes so much sense and explains why he is always in that mag as 'most stylish man of the week'. Blah. I didn't know he had a stylist, I just thought Armani got him fitted for a pile of free suits (get dat free swag Tom) and he threw on his favourite for whatever event he shows up to.

I was aware that this was just one big PR party but I didn't realise it was quite so incestuous. It's basically one company doing everything.

by Anonymousreply 10709/04/2013

It seems like here recently Tom seems to prefer to be with women who just blend in with the crowd. At least before the women he was linked with could easily be picked out of a crowd, like Gwen Christie, Kat Dennings or even Susannah. What happened Tom?

by Anonymousreply 10809/04/2013

So we're assuming Jane because of ombre hair from the back? Well could be, but that hair color is one of the most common ones in the UK and she's not really alone in doing ombre, but who knows. I'll need another angle though, and she follows a fangirl now? It just gets more weird

by Anonymousreply 11009/04/2013

But if she was seeing him, why is she acting like a crazy fangirl? If he likes her enough ,why is she never seen with him? That post about the tumblr account was funny but in the picture he didn't look too happy, almost a fake smile .we know this man doesn't do private. If what the tumblr says is true and he does knock her up , then I'll laugh my head off at the mess he's made

by Anonymousreply 11109/04/2013

This guy has the best description for a Hiddleston picture. -Tom Hiddleston, actor. You may remember him from such crowd screams as “OMG THAT’S TOM HIDDLESTON!!”

by Anonymousreply 11209/04/2013

R109 Sheesh, his fangirls are absurd. Lara Pulver hugged him to mislead fans away from Arthy? lol

R110 - what R98 and R99 wrote.

I wonder how many première, events where he is without a date, will take to accept the fact he's single. You'd think his fans would be happy.

If she was there with him she wouldn't need to follow one of his fangirl to find videos and photos of the night.

by Anonymousreply 11309/04/2013

Ah poor little rich boy and his swag. If he has a stylist, why isn't that stylist telling him to change his suit and shirt once in awhile? His everyday style is embarrassingly awful.

As for the theoretical girlfriend, I would like to know what self-respecting woman would tolerate being treated this way. "I want to bang you, but you have to stay hidden away from the public and can't be seen on my arm at events or with me anywhere. My fans wouldn't like it."

Kind of tells you where his priorities really are.

I think TH is a standard issue, creepy, Hollywood narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 11409/04/2013

R112 thanks for the link, loved all the comments.

To be fair, TH is dating Arthy only in the mind of fangirls. If you ask me, that thing ended after Wimbledon. For him at least.

by Anonymousreply 11509/04/2013

[R115] I think it goes hand in hand with the "Tom is not on tumblr.Tom is not on tumblr.Tom is not on tumblr x 35" mentality they got going on.

I's a bit scary to have such strong feelings regarding a guy being or not on tumblr. I wonder why that is. Do they not want to fathom the idea because he didn't come say hi to their blog? Or because they realize how creepy it would be for him to be on their blog?

by Anonymousreply 11609/04/2013

TH nattering on as usual. At least he seemed a bit unrehearsed this time.

by Anonymousreply 11709/04/2013

Hahaha! "What's a man crush?"

by Anonymousreply 11809/04/2013

If he says your behavior is heinous, kick him right in the coriolanus.

by Anonymousreply 11909/04/2013

I like the comment Tom Hiddleston best known for being Tom Hiddleston. Mind you it says it all really.

by Anonymousreply 12009/04/2013

R112 Thanks for posting the link. One of the first people the photographer didn't recognize was Roger Daltrey, lead singer of The Who, LOL! Out of his demographic, I guess.

The frenzy over Arthy is hilarious. Unless she's truly desperate with no self-esteem, it's hard to imagine a successful career woman hiding away or allowing herself to be hidden away to accomodate his Tumblr fans' fantasies.Possibly she's sitting at his house knitting him socks and keeping the home fires burning waiting impatiently for him to return with the swag. Highly unlikely though.

Awhile back on one of the earlier Hiddleston threads someone opined that he should get a hot date and bring her to events so people would talk about him. Luke probably read it and suggested he bring Arthy to Wimbledon not anticipating the ensuing meltdown.

At this point, I think Tom's most precious & enduring SO is himself.

by Anonymousreply 12109/04/2013

If Tom finds someone who rings his bells, be certain he will not hesitate to show her off.

by Anonymousreply 12209/04/2013

Even she was her. What? I said hello out of the car and nothing? Please

by Anonymousreply 12309/04/2013

Um, what? I mean I'm ESL too but please help us out here.

And Tom is apparently teaching the cookie monster about delayed gratification. I could teach him a few things about that...

by Anonymousreply 12409/04/2013

[R123] What are we talking about again?

by Anonymousreply 12509/04/2013

Tomorrow he'll be at TIFF, maybe we are going to have somenthing new to talk about

by Anonymousreply 12609/04/2013

I think what R123 meant is that it's not credible for that woman with ombre hair to be Arthy because it means TH arrived alone, walked the red carpet alone, saw her on the side, said hello and went his own way. Pheew, I hope I got it right.

by Anonymousreply 12709/04/2013

Just wanna point out this young woman. For the sake of argument o how many people look alike. She was at the Rush premiere the day before,working. And no,that's not Jane

by Anonymousreply 12809/04/2013

R128 I thought so too

by Anonymousreply 12909/04/2013

yes 127. thank you

by Anonymousreply 13009/04/2013

Here's ombre hair woman from the GQ event.

by Anonymousreply 13109/04/2013

I tried to post a link, but failed. Go to merlockwho.tmblr. There are three photos of Tom accompanied with the same girls he greeted (the bag is the same). I don't think it's Arthy.

by Anonymousreply 13209/04/2013

Now I kinda hope that's not Arthy cause I thought she looked better than that. But I don't think it is, this person looks 10 years older than her

by Anonymousreply 13309/04/2013

Link works fine, thanks. And no she is not Arthy, she is clearly somebody from staff.

But even without these photos, only delusional fangirls would have thought she could be Arthy.

by Anonymousreply 13409/04/2013

Tom Hiddleston presents Emma Watson with GQ's Woman Of The Year Award, video.

by Anonymousreply 13509/04/2013

Well that was a bit embarrassing for both of them and of course he mentioned Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 13609/04/2013

[R126] I thought that was next week? The thing that annoys me most about him is his posture. Why does he always have the hands in his pockets? There must be an answer

by Anonymousreply 13709/04/2013

Nope the Gala screening of OLLA at TIFF is tomorrow. The one for the London Film Fest is on the 19 of October

by Anonymousreply 13809/04/2013

[R137] He probably has busy hands or feels weird with them just dangling there so he has to do something with them, and having your arms crossed isn't really the best idea at these things

by Anonymousreply 13909/04/2013

And before London there's NY film festival too.

by Anonymousreply 14009/04/2013

But they are not in his pockets elegantly, more the impatient and clumsy least there is no hands on hips. That annoys me more when people do that

by Anonymousreply 14109/04/2013

R135 Wow, never thought I'd see Hermione high as a kite but there she is.

by Anonymousreply 14209/04/2013

They look both so uncomfortable in these pictures

by Anonymousreply 14309/04/2013

Seriously, who is this Torrilla person? She seems to never sleep,eat,drink,anything. When Hiddleston happens it's on her blog the next moment

by Anonymousreply 14409/04/2013

She said she's a chinese woman, english teacher. But actually I really don't know. Tumblr people think it could be someone from tom pr agency

by Anonymousreply 14509/04/2013

The chinese bit I gathered, since all tweets she posts have chinese default...things on them. Like it doesn't say "follow" but you know, awesome hieroglyph things. But China is a completely different timezone, so most things happen in her night or morning, when in theory she'd be teaching. That's why I wonder what she actually does in life

by Anonymousreply 14609/04/2013

If Hiddleston is on tumblr, then maybe he is she?

by Anonymousreply 14709/04/2013

What happened to his knuckles?

by Anonymousreply 14809/04/2013

I don't think there's just one person behind torrilla. They update things too quickly to be one person. Or maybe torrilla is really someone working for Tom.

by Anonymousreply 14909/04/2013

Do you not find it creepy that you know enough about his knuckles to talk about them on a gossip site?

by Anonymousreply 15109/04/2013

Was that really Jane Arthy in that picture? I thought that was another dumpy fan.

He really does like them plain, doesn't he?

by Anonymousreply 15209/04/2013

Mr Hiddleston has a new role:

"Tom Hiddleston to Star in Guillermo del Toro's 'Crimson Peak'

The "Avengers" actor is replacing Benedict Cumberbatch in the thriller.

Tom Hiddleston is replacing Benedict Cumberbatch in Crimson Peak, a gothic film to be directed by Guillermo del Toro.

The thriller, which will also feature Jessica Chastain, Mia Wasikowska and Charlie Hunnam, has set a start date of January 2014 to begin shooting."

by Anonymousreply 15309/06/2013

Good for him! Glad to see he finally caught a break. He should be happy to work with Jessica C. and Mia W. I wonder if Charlie Hunnam will stay with the project now that he's been cast as the lead in 50 Shades of Gray...

by Anonymousreply 15409/06/2013

R152 no that wasn't Jane. She wasn't there and neither was she at TIFF. Big shocker.

by Anonymousreply 15509/06/2013

[quote]As for the theoretical girlfriend, I would like to know what self-respecting woman would tolerate being treated this way. "I want to bang you, but you have to stay hidden away from the public and can't be seen on my arm at events or with me anywhere. My fans wouldn't like it."

David Tennant's wife doesn't seem to mind.

But she got the ring, the mansion, the nannies, and the credit card, so you win some you lose some.

by Anonymousreply 15609/06/2013

Oh peak "hour" is finally over? I see he's getting leftover roles again.

by Anonymousreply 15709/06/2013

Well if she is his girlfriend, he's been cheating on her then.

by Anonymousreply 15809/06/2013

woooo any new dirt, R158?

by Anonymousreply 15909/06/2013

I'm doubtful this Jane Arthy is his g/f.

by Anonymousreply 16009/06/2013

I am still laughing at the fangirl on the other thread who said he and Arthy would make their debut at the GQ awards. Fucking moron. Arthy was a fwb, zip.

by Anonymousreply 16109/06/2013

I don't think there is anything going on with him and Arthy. Lets get some real scoop on this guy. Getting roles that others have turned down or dropped out of has to sting a bit...

by Anonymousreply 16209/07/2013

Arthy is now following three movie accounts. Is she really that desperate ? I doubt David Tennants wife behaves like a crazed fangirl! Anyway TH is in Canada next year and will no doubt find another toy to play around with in emotions

by Anonymousreply 16309/07/2013

Look, Arthy is irrelevant, she follows stuff on twitter because that's how she gets infos about him. Let's not waste another thread talking about sb who is unimportant.

by Anonymousreply 16409/07/2013

Here's the link of the news of TH replacing Cumberbatch for Crimson Peak from Variety, that more correctly reports the beginning of the shooting in February. January would have been impossible for TH since he'll be busy with Coriolanus.

I read that Cumberbatch at TIFF said he left due to creative differences, which translates as the script sucked. But here on Variety they report that Del Toro will co-rewrite the script. So hopefully it will be better.

by Anonymousreply 16509/07/2013

given the man recent luck, what's more likely to happen is that the new script will be even worse, or some other leading actor will leave, or Del Toro will be too busy with something else.

by Anonymousreply 16609/07/2013

After The Crow better wait until it's official. In fact, considering Capa movie, better wait until they start shooting.

by Anonymousreply 16709/07/2013

I guess we could say that not only he has Fassbender fingerprints on the scripts he receives, Cumberbatch too.

by Anonymousreply 16809/07/2013

it's official and with Cumberbatch blessing.

by Anonymousreply 16909/07/2013

he's box office poison

by Anonymousreply 17009/07/2013

"I know Jessica very well" add fuel to the fire. Well done hiddles

by Anonymousreply 17109/07/2013

well, TH and Chastain met before that gossip news came out and they met after, this year at Bafta. I know everybody assumes that news was leaked by TH office but I doubt it. In any case Jessica is in a relationship right now.

by Anonymousreply 17209/07/2013

I'm starting to draw the funny conclusion that it's better to be a crazy fangirl than Arthy right now. I mean, Hiddleston at least doesn't mind his fangirls and will even interact with them gladly,whilst Arthy is just unliked and pretty much does the stalking for nothing.

I feel like someone needs to help her, it can't be fun to try as much as she is

by Anonymousreply 17309/07/2013

Yeah, but remarking in the interview, he did it on purpose

by Anonymousreply 17409/07/2013

I was talking to 172

by Anonymousreply 17509/07/2013

Crimson Peak is gonna be, according to his director, shocking, kinky, gothic and scary

by Anonymousreply 17609/07/2013

R174 All the more reason. I mean TH is nothing but careful about how he speaks of his collegues etc. If Jessica had a suspect his office was behind that gossip you can be sure at Bafta this year she would have made it clear what she thought of it and I doubt he would have mentioned a good friendship with her now, risking to make her angry.

by Anonymousreply 17709/07/2013

R176 wasn't that the old definition? I mean on the first version of the script? It's likely going to change now Del Toro will rewrite it.

by Anonymousreply 17809/07/2013

We'll see

by Anonymousreply 17909/07/2013

He kissed some fangirl's hand at TIFF lol.

by Anonymousreply 18009/07/2013

It's quite usual for him, kissing hand, hugging. He's not scared by physical contact. Contrarily

by Anonymousreply 18109/07/2013

I'm sorry but the dude has been raised well and he knows how to use it to his advantage. Who even kisses hands nowadays anymore? England scores.

by Anonymousreply 18209/07/2013

Said kiss in a photo

by Anonymousreply 18309/07/2013

Italian men do. Anyway, it was nice of him.

by Anonymousreply 18409/07/2013

Italians but some extra sleaze in kissing hands most of the time

by Anonymousreply 18509/07/2013

So he's still in Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 18609/07/2013

back from running? I guess the embargo on twitter is over.

by Anonymousreply 18709/07/2013

He's so beautiful here. No suit, no red carpet

by Anonymousreply 18809/07/2013

And we have a runner! I miss those sunrise runs...why'd I stop doing them? Ah yes, because I wasn't close to the South Bank anymore.

But yeah, seems he's back on Twitter, even posting songs of the day

by Anonymousreply 18909/07/2013

He's reading this thread isn't he? I mean, this back on Twitter thing is funny timing wise.What else should we suggest?

by Anonymousreply 19009/07/2013

R190 maybe he's happy he was signed up for a movie, finally.

by Anonymousreply 19109/07/2013

He has a lot of things to promote. OLLA, thor, out of darkness (a short that it's gonna be at BFI) and then coriolanus. And twitter it's very helpful in this case

by Anonymousreply 19209/07/2013

[R191] he did know it much sooner than yesterday so I think all the happy manifestations would have taken place then not now.

by Anonymousreply 19309/07/2013

Yes promotion certainly plays its role in his reappearance on twitter. Let's see if it lasts.

R193 Maybe he wasn't allowed to say? I took the "I love this city (Toronto)" as happy manifestation of the fact he will be there to shoot Crimson Peak (and possibly nice reveiws of OLLA at TIFF?). Otherwise, I doubt he would have tweeted it.

by Anonymousreply 19409/07/2013

He looks good in the running pic and his career seems to be on the up. He's probably getting lots of ass in Toronto, wonder why no one's heard anything

by Anonymousreply 19509/07/2013

He hasn't been reading these posts . He's still got those hands in the pockets again

by Anonymousreply 19609/07/2013

Even if she is dating him, I don't get why she does that in twitter . It looks really sad and desperate. It also indicates she doesn't trust him. (I can see why if what previous threads are like)

by Anonymousreply 19709/07/2013

He's taking selfies now. Great. Arthy is either a) a fan girl stalker b) a deranged and obsessed FWB or c) all of the above. so, what ever happened with the Capa movie? And I'd actually love to see Black Wings Has My Angel finally get made.

As for getting lots of ass in Toronto, lets hope it's not with his creepy fan girls. He shouldn't indulge those creepers and give them hugs and kisses.

And he totally googles himself. There was a recent article where he said something about being annoyingly happy or optimistic or something. That has been brought up by many people wondering whether he's just putting on a show or is genuinely that upbeat and nice.

by Anonymousreply 19809/07/2013

Well, 197, basically, it is all about what HE thinks about her “place” in his life, and not what she presumes on the subject. His “public” attitude towards her at the moment is dreadful – he makes her look like an idiot. I strongly doubt he’d behave himself this way if he really cared what she’d think about him. I’d love to listen to fables TH feeds her explaining why he doesn’t take her to any next scheduled event.

She, on the other side, almost loses her pants desperately trying to demonstrate that she is still somehow related to him. She is desperate not only for his attention, but for an ATTENTION. But, unfortunately, the reaction to her twitter antics is the ONLY public attention she can get as of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 19909/07/2013

He's been taking selfies for ages. And he CAPA and Black Wings are not happening.

by Anonymousreply 20009/07/2013

I don't see why Hiddleston must be the bad guy in regard to Arthy. It's illogical. He clearly didn't have problem going public with her since he brought her to Wimbledon. It's not really his fault if she screwed up by running her mouth. He had every right to cut her off. She is not with him because he is mistreating her, she is not there because he is not interested. And like others said, enough with Arthy.

by Anonymousreply 20109/07/2013

we don't hear of him getting ass in London why should Toronto be any different? And no, fangirls fanciful stories of one nights stands, or trolls equally fanciful stories of him having cheated on Susannah, without evidence, do no count.

by Anonymousreply 20209/07/2013

If you love someone, you wouldn't' dump them for telling other people you're in a relationship.

Eddie Redmayne, Ewan McGregor, Matt Damon, etc, all managed to get with good-looking women who aren't famous. Didn't seem to be an issue.

I feel like Hiddleston is just a typical commitment-phone Aquarius but who gives a shit, he looks great in those latest TIFF pics.

by Anonymousreply 20309/07/2013

A guy brings you to a public event, on what was likely a first date given the body language, and first thing you do, you run your mouth to the closest journalist declaring yourself his gf. Who is the superficial here?

If the issue was that she wasn't famous then he would have gone to Wimbledon alone.

by Anonymousreply 20409/07/2013

201, I’m not saying he is “bad” here, quite the opposite, I’m saying that she is not very bright and remarkably vacant which is inexcusable given her age. TH definitely acts in HIS own best interest at the moment and has every right to do so. It’s not his fault that she is not very smart.

by Anonymousreply 20509/07/2013

No way something that public was their first date...

I just wonder why there aren't more stories of him out and about

by Anonymousreply 20609/07/2013

What I think is so funny are comments by people on here talking about How pathetic Jane Arthy is for following him and his associates on Twitter, yet these same people seem to lack insight that they look rather pathetic by tracking Jane Arthy's twitter activities?

I mean, that is weird, that you would start to look into this woman's twitter, to the point of checking up, almost daily on who she friends or unfriends.

At any rate why is this situation with Arthy such a big point of discussion? They went to at least one event together, and possibly dated a bit. Big deal, isn't that what single people do? And if they aren't dating anymore, why do either of them have to be the bad guy or pathetic? Lots of times it just doesn't work out. Again, why, in this particular case are people so fascinated by this?

by Anonymousreply 20709/07/2013

I haven't noticed the selfies then. I think selfies need to die already. That's unfortunate those movies aren't being made.

by Anonymousreply 20809/07/2013

Yes, let's drop Arthy like she's hot. Just like Tom did. He did look great in the TIFF pics. We need some real tea on this guy.

by Anonymousreply 20909/07/2013

Maybe he's boring or makes the people he's banging sign NDAs.

I firmly believe Luke leaked that rumour about him and Jessica Chastain to the Daily Mail.

by Anonymousreply 21009/07/2013

Nah, I disagree because the rumor was lame and far to easy to disprove.

I think Luke is odd and I get a SWF (the movie, not the poster) vibe from him, but I don't think he would release a rumor like that. If he wanted to link Tom to someone publicly, then I think it would be someone less well known. Chastain was getting a lot of press for the Zero Dark Thirty when that rumor hit.

There was a pic of Tom with her at some event. Just a quick snap of them posing together. I imagine some fan blog saw that and posted speculation and then some other blogs picked it up.

I think it would be a lot of fun to quietly place a completely fabricated rumor on a blog site, and just see how long it takes before it hits one of the more well known blogs like Celebitchy or Lainey.

by Anonymousreply 21109/07/2013

The reason he would link Tom to Jessica IS because she was getting a lot of publicity. Tom wasn't getting any work at the time and linking him to a Best Actress contender was sneaky.

And despite the fact that it was easily disprovable, it got his name out there during Oscar season.

I doubt he sent anything official, but he could have just called someone at the Mail and gave a comment off-the-record.

And Jessica's team turned the rumour down soon after, but no word from team Hiddleston.

Think about it.

by Anonymousreply 21209/07/2013

He is 100x more good looking in person. Those pictures don't do him justice. He really does have huge, long fingered hands and big but narrow feet.

by Anonymousreply 21309/07/2013

Exactly 213, no need to be in the pockets. He also slouches all the time. I have no problem with anything about him other than is posture

by Anonymousreply 21409/07/2013

Slouching, really?

by Anonymousreply 21509/07/2013

“How weary, stale, flat and unprofitable, Seem to me all the uses of this world!” Hiddleston began, suddenly finding himself in the midst of an impromptu and understated private performance, firing out two more lines as if from muscle memory. “O that this too too solid flesh would melt, Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew!” he whispered, “I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth.”

lmao this posh bitch.

by Anonymousreply 21809/07/2013

Already tired of hearing about piano keys and I fear TH will just keep playing them to death. Someone get him a thesaurus, please. And a new shirt. Or two.

In some cases TH, less said is the best said.

by Anonymousreply 21909/08/2013

I think most people aren't even fully aware what a Hiddleston is if they see him out and about or if they end up spending the night together. I'm pretty sure many people don't even recognize him, and if you try to blend n,you will.

It's not like he's of Brad Pitt fame where even my grandmother would think he looks familiar.

But I think that fact works in his favor very well. He can do his thing much easier and with less risk of everyone finding out

by Anonymousreply 22009/08/2013

The David beckham effect- good looking until he opens his mouth and ruins the illusion

by Anonymousreply 22109/08/2013

[R221] No that would be Fassbender. You wanna give him cold water to sober up each time he speaks

by Anonymousreply 22209/08/2013

222. I mean in content. He sprouts a lot of shit from time to time and takes ages getting to the point. Fassbender? I don't really care what he says, he's hot!

by Anonymousreply 22309/08/2013

fassbender looks more and more like a tired alcoholic,which is a shame cause he used to be pretty goregous.but he's reallynot going to age well.

i for one,contrary to general oppinion here,think hiddleston is aging pretty well.he looks way more manly than 3 or 4 years ago,not to mention10 years ago

by Anonymousreply 22409/08/2013

Sassy Fassy scares the hell out of me. He's got that "I tie chubby girls up in my basement" look. No thanks. Great actor, though. Hiddleston has not aged well. However, I think he looked his hottest in THC. Oh goodness. And I agree with whoever said he's not recognizable enough for his dirty feeds to be told. Most of my friends still don't know who he is.

by Anonymousreply 22509/08/2013

[R218] That is actually a very cool article, Hamlet quote not withstanding. I think what he says about Detroit and the US is very interesting, and the movie sounds intriguing.

I really don't get the hate for Tom. He is a bit overenthusiastic, and yes, he might pander to his fans, but if my career depended on fan support, I might pander as well.

He is a good actor, and interesting to look at. Not really handsome, but interesting.

The fuss people make about that chick he took to Wimbledon is weird. So he had a date and so maybe it didn't go anywhere, not so unusual for single people.

Yes, he is a bit posh, but is that his fault? If that is who he genuinely is, I prefer him to just be that way than to adopt a too cool for school attitude that isn't authentic for him.

He seems pretty harmless overall. His fans? Well, they are a little nutty.

by Anonymousreply 22609/08/2013

Dirty feeds? I meant deeds. Love autocorrect so much. Lets move on from Arthy. She seems like a booty call. Who cares. Nothing new has emerged between those two. *yawn*. His tumblr fans are terrifying. He should rely on his talent to get his career moving, not pandering to 12 year old unhinged girls, but he clearly loves attention.

by Anonymousreply 22709/08/2013

R226 you sound like a nutty fan yourself. Typing up a whole article to defend him. Exactly what those nutty fans do.

by Anonymousreply 22809/08/2013

[R225] Haha! Sassy Fassy is really not someone whose face you wanna see on the street at night,I agree. He's got the mass murderer thing going on. What's THC ?

And yeah, I too think he can go unnoticed very well and do his various things before any fangirl recognizes him. Because clearly the paps aren't that interested

by Anonymousreply 22909/08/2013

R229 THC = The Hollow Crown :-). I'm glad someone is with me on Sassy Fassy. Dude is terrifying.

And you're absolutely right, the paps are not interested in him. I think if ever did anything scandalous no one would know because he's just not on the radar.

by Anonymousreply 23009/08/2013

I think his team make out he is more important than he is. What has he done by big film wise? Not a lot.

by Anonymousreply 23109/08/2013

The majority of his fans seem like 20 and 30 something year olds from what I see. Of course he is going to pander to them. They are the ones with the money to spend.

by Anonymousreply 23209/08/2013

He's the sort of person who says nice things to the right people if it will get him far. Hence the fact that he's nice to journalist and doesn't get bad press. I think it's clever even if it makes him look like he has no opioion of his own whatsoever

by Anonymousreply 23309/08/2013

I think his fans are either young or old, I don't think the inbetween,where things happen in their life, are real fangirls. It's the ones who need to experience things or the ones who experienced too much and now are done with shiz.Of course, there probably are the 20's and 30 yr olds too,but the raging ones are either teens or housewives which really begs the question,aren't those categories the most prone to obsessing anyway?

by Anonymousreply 23409/08/2013

[R218] At first I thought you had composed a parody of a TH interview, but then realized those were his actual quotes.

I think it is a little sad if he is playing this card for easily impressed fans who clearly can't imagine memorizing anything. Memorizing lines is part of being a professional actor. It's the most basic job requirement.

I think his love for Shakespeare is real, but I find this little game of Tom Hiddleston Bingo to be kind of sad. I wish he would just get real and talk about how the part feels for him instead of trying so hard to impress.

by Anonymousreply 23509/08/2013

The real Tom disappeared from interviews just after he finished the Avengers and when that creepy PR guy Luke stepped into the picture. He seems to travel nowhere without the appendage Luke, bet he even follows him to the bathroom. Bet he even stands there when Tom has sex, directing him to go here and there and put in it there etc.

For once I would like to see an interview where he is himself and not quoting the Bard and mumbling on about piano keys and other stupid shit. I mean he even said he liked Twilight, which is a piece of shit, wish he'd be honest...for once.

by Anonymousreply 23609/08/2013

[R236] I suspect the same, but Luke is the guy who get him free suits and his name in GQ, so this is never going to happen.

I love it when actors talk sincerely about their work and the creative process, take a chance and reveal something about themselves. I hate it when I feel like I am being fed canned responses that came out of a PR consultation and which are clearly just pandering to a fan base.

I do not doubt for a minute that he liked Twilight. I think he likes anything that is popular. Even if he didn't like it, he will never ever say he doesn't because he is always pitching to directors he wants to work with.

by Anonymousreply 23709/08/2013

R236 can you tell me the differences? because I wasn't following him back there.

by Anonymousreply 23809/08/2013

I think he's incapable of saying anything bad about anything, especially in public. Even I,who think Twilight is the most low budget piece of cinematic crap would have probably said it's interesting if asked in an interview. It's all part of being diplomatic and even more so when you're raised to be a polite brit and you like to be friends with everyone. Unless you're a whatever asshole and your image is that of swearing and just being a mofo in general, you won't call Twilight what it is: utmost shit. That's the job of Jay Leno, Jon Stewart, Chelsea Handler (Especially Chelsea Handler!) etc

by Anonymousreply 23909/08/2013

If you go to his earlier interviews like when he was doing press for Thor, and then watch one done recently, the differences are startling. He was more free in his words back then, now he just has canned answers or he just tries way too much.

He will never be on the cover of GQ, so Luke better just figure that out now. He is handsome to the fangirls who think they have a chance with him because he is not hollywood handsome.

by Anonymousreply 24009/08/2013

Has anybody read his latest interview about being best friends with BC? I bet if you asked when they hung out outside work he'll be stuck! He obviously using BC to try and sound cool and not BC substitute for when he doesn't want to do a film for whatever reason. I also think he brown noses director too much that it annoys them judging from the only lovers left alive Q&A

by Anonymousreply 24109/08/2013

[R240] To be honest I haven't watched too many interviews but from what I watched, and I don't think I paid attention to the chronology, I didn't see that big of a difference.

The main difference was in clothing. And I have to say, as much as I like leather jackets and jeans he looks pretty dashing in those suits. Doesn't mean I don't encourage leather jackets though

by Anonymousreply 24209/08/2013

[R239] Do you think it is possible to offer a real, thoughtful, and candid opinion without being rude? Other actors manage it.

Simon Pegg recently expressed his reservations about the infantilization of our culture by the nonstop deluge of comic book-based films, and Chris Hemsworth expressed his pleasure on finally having a role that is more character-based than Thor.

TH just gushes about everything. If he really is being sincere, then he is considerably less bright than he is cracked up to be. That, or he is superficial. Maybe you think he is just being polite, but to me it sounds desperate and brown-nosey. It inclines me to not trust anything he has to say-- which in my book is not especially polite.

by Anonymousreply 24309/08/2013

[R241] There's fan pictures of them at a Sigur Ros concert earlier this year and out to dinner in Hampstead.

They were also in a movie together. He's clearly not using Benedict for this...

Try the other one.

by Anonymousreply 24409/08/2013

oh please R 244. Everyone uses everyone in this industry. The key is not looking like you are doing that. Just have to remember not to bite the hand that feeds you. TH is just what he appears to be, a rich trust fund kid who has had everything handed to him. Until he got in the real world that is and is learning what it feels like to get hand me down roles. Though due to his proper British upbringing, he handles it politely and courteously. He kisses ass quite eloquently as well. LOL He now has a few more big names to drop in future interviews. Lord he will go on about that for another year.

by Anonymousreply 24509/08/2013

Actors drop out of projects and get replaced ALL THE TIME. Benedict didn't hand it down--he had nothing to do with the casting.

Tom and Benedict have clearly known each other for years. I get that you find Tom disingenuous, and I actually agree, I don't think he's very open or honest publicly. I just think making his new role into some sort of snide commentary on how he's riding Cumberbund's coattails inaccurate in this case.

by Anonymousreply 24609/08/2013

If he didn't have a habit if being everyone's best friend when it suits him I'd believe you. I can see where they get compared but unlike BC TH lacks real personality through his work . The passion and ambition is there but he can never come across just quite right. I put this down to bad PR. I want to see his personality back and not a stepford housewife of what he's become.

by Anonymousreply 24709/08/2013

What happened to that last best friend of his, Sian Clifford? Or was she just his fwb/bbf for as long as he wanted?

by Anonymousreply 24809/08/2013

While I can see many of the points here, the 'trust fund kid' one sticks in my craw somewhat.

You earn a place at Cambridge, you don't buy it. Plus he waited tables in the summer as I understand it. You have to work fucking hard at Cambridge, this I know for certain. Plus as I understand it, he bought that big ol' house of his himself, through graft, not through help from his parents.

That said, I wish they'd send him a food hamper or something because he needs to eat. Skin and bones don't suit him. Eat, boy, eat...

by Anonymousreply 24909/08/2013

He was waiting on tables because his dad wouldn't give him the money to go to acting college. Probably his only job in the real world. He also didn't get paid much for Thor which has been previously been stated

by Anonymousreply 25009/08/2013

It's pretty easy to read classics at Cambridge when you go to the Dragon prep school and then Eton. Granted, the double-first is good but he's been coached in the classics, latin, ancient greek and such since he was about 5.

by Anonymousreply 25109/08/2013

I'm sorry. "It's pretty easy to read Classic at Cambridge...'

No, lovey, it's not. It is easier to do so when you've been educated at Eton rather than a local comprehensive, granted, but 'easy' it most assuredly is not.... and to get a double first is fucking outstandingly tough. I don't deal out praise that easily but it is tough....

by Anonymousreply 25209/08/2013

RADA is pretty expensive from what I understand, doubtful that a little summer job would pay for even a semester there.

After Cambridge he said he went on holiday to Rome with a gf, did he pay for that or the parents? He has been handed everything for the entire length of his life. If you ever meet him, go shake his hand. His hands are amazingly soft, he's never known hard work or struggle.

So when fangirls say he wasn't handed everything in life, I just have to chuckle. He had nannies growing up, he went to Eton and he's related to a baron. Yeah sure all working people have landed titles in their trees.

by Anonymousreply 25309/08/2013

Tom is playing on PBS next month in Henry V.

by Anonymousreply 25409/08/2013

That job waiting tables was one summer and at a very posh festival of some sort. He shared that little tidbit in an interview, so he did NOT support himself or pay for schooling that way. His other 'jobs' were tutoring. He has had an easy life, so have many others. And yes his big hands are soft and manicured, so what.

by Anonymousreply 25509/08/2013

He got through with an immense amount of family money. All. The. Way. Make no mistake about it.

He also owned real estate in Kentish Town back when he was still taking low-paying bit parts, and this was paid for by his immensely wealthy family. The house in Belsize Park, which cost 3 million pounds sterling, was not paid for by his Marvel earnings, which by his own account were pretty modest. Most likely it is family money, his money, and a large mortgage. God knows how important it is to live next door to Tim Burton.

None of this means that he is not hard working or that he did not earn a difficult degree or that he is a rich layabout. Let's give some credit here. He is pretty blind to his own privilege, though, which is typical, and I can see how that would annoy people.

My only snark about his academic cred is that his tastes and his ideas are still those of an enthusiastic undergraduate. I don't think he has grown a whole lot. But that's me being snarky.

by Anonymousreply 25609/08/2013

Lol Eton practically specialised in sending boys to Oxbridge to read the classics, so let's not pretend he didn't have plenty of help getting to where he did. I'm not saying he didn't work hard, but a different sort of working hard. No doubt his family connections/school helped him.

by Anonymousreply 25709/08/2013

Yeah I don't understand how he went from 'living in a hostel while at RADA' and working as a waiter to owning a flat in Kentish Town by his mid twenties. Especially if he had RADA fees to pay. At that point he had only done 2 travelling plays with Cheek by Jowl, a Cranford Xmas special and a handful of bit parts.

His trust fund must have kicked in when he turned 25.

The house was slightly cheaper than 3 mil, 'only' around 2.65mil. But still doesn't add up. It's pretty clear why he chose that particular house/area - all those lovely film connections just next door! In a private gated community surrounded by other artistes!

by Anonymousreply 25809/08/2013

One interesting item found on tumblr. A couple of the Muse band members live in Belize Park. I did not mention the unmentionable FWB.

by Anonymousreply 25909/08/2013

Private gated community? No wonder there has never been any fangirl stories about fangirls on his lawn or sleeping in his bed (well at least sleeping in his bed without permission).

How do you guys know how much his house cost anyway?

by Anonymousreply 26009/08/2013

252, the unmentionable does not manage Muse, she's a pr exec for warner music. She looks after some band named Foals.

by Anonymousreply 26109/08/2013

I meant that for 259, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 26209/08/2013

Okay, so he doesn't do manual labor, and he indulges in manicures. In wish he would also do facials, glycolic peels, and wear some nice high end sunscreen because his skin looks like crap.

"His trust fund must have kicked in when he turned 25."

Bingo. It is very common for trust funds to be set up to pay for education until the age of 25, afterwhich the trust is released and the child can now buy a house, car etc. He has never had to have any job he did not want to take. Make no mistake about this.

All of these financial advantages are crucial for starting off a career in theatre. Julie Walters gave an interview awhile back about how the working class has pretty much been locked out of the British theatre scene. The cost of going to a place like RADA, followed by the need to be able to live on very low wages to get things started pretty much locks out anyone who is not from an extremely wealthy and well-connected family.

by Anonymousreply 26309/08/2013

More precisely, she is in charge of radio advertisements. It's a nice job, but it is not anything that is going to blow anyone's skirt up.

by Anonymousreply 26409/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 26509/08/2013

Okay my little chickadees. You want to see our posh puppy back in his Cambridge double first years? Here you go:

If you can't get through that dreadful prose, please at least note his bio at the bottom.

Have fuuuuunnnnn

by Anonymousreply 26609/08/2013

Someone on here was right. His way of words has changed. I understand that that does happen when you get older but now it just seems forced.

Oh, and a girl hit on him during the Q & A of OLLA. Asked him if it hurt when he fell from Asgard. The film was good, just very long.

by Anonymousreply 26709/08/2013

Maybe his PR team is telling him to play it safe. Try not to ruffle any feathers.

by Anonymousreply 26809/08/2013

R267 & R268 It's clear that Hiddleston primary goal has always been to act. He works hard to get ahead -- whether at RADA, doing humblebragging interviews, obliging producers by tirelessly promoting their films, shameless pandering to fans, obligatory ass kissing etc., etc.

Thing is many of his activities are calculated and as R267 said, come across as forced. I don't expect the "real Tom Hiddleston" to make a public appearance anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 26909/08/2013

R249 wake up sweetheart, he IS a trust fund kid. He's from old money. Getting a place in Cambridge is easy when you've been raised posh and graduated from Eton. If you're familiar with the admissions process of elite universities you'll know that you don't really have to be BRILLIANT to gain entry. You just have to be well connected and do reasonably well in your GSCEs/SATs to be accepted.

You think he'd have enough money to buy a huge house in an affluent area if it were only for his Loki money? He's cheap labour in Hollywood, they don't pay him that much.

by Anonymousreply 27009/08/2013

R240 yup, and if you watch his pre-Thor interviews he's just so casual (both fashion-wise and behavior-wise) and cool and actually real. Now it's all pandering and sucking up and playing the PR game. He's becoming too obvious at that. I mean it's not wrong to want to play the PR game but at least have some personality of yourself remaining. I cringed at his Who-llywood interview where he acted all "ghetto" just to fit in with the interviewers. That was when it all went downhill.

by Anonymousreply 27109/08/2013

"In his spare time, Tom somehow manages to fit in a theatrical career. Scrawled upon Tom's (ubiquitous) LSW Prison Project form, one filled out during a Cambridge University session within the depths of St. John's College, Tom noted that he 'desperately wants to be a professional actor'."

HAHAHHAA. Your desperateness is clearly showing now, Tom. Oh that article just screams posh to me. At least he sort of toned it down in his African trip. But then his Live Below The Line challenge showed yet again how clueless he is. Poor little rich boy.

by Anonymousreply 27209/08/2013

R241 he actually hangs out with BC, BUT I think people should ask him about hanging out with Jessica Chastain etc since he keeps saying he's so good friends with those people.

by Anonymousreply 27309/08/2013

I can see the difference between the interviews from Thor and then the Avengers. Does anyone remember that awful Times Talk Madrid interview? I almost didn't recognize him because he was not the goofy, fun-loving Tom I was used to seeing in interviews. It seemed very put on. Honestly, in a few years time he will probably be irrelevant. And I have a hard time seeing him working as anything other than an actor because he loves attention and he doesn't know how to get it any other way. I appreciate what actors do because I love movies, but they are put on such high pedestals and it confuses my peasant brain.

by Anonymousreply 27409/09/2013

[quote] The cost of going to a place like RADA, followed by the need to be able to live on very low wages to get things started pretty much locks out anyone who is not from an extremely wealthy and well-connected family.

Isn't that the same most everywhere? Accommodations in major cities have gotten really expensive, theatre doesn't pay well especially to unknowns, and many places like England where heavy government subsidies used to finance student tuition have experienced sharp cut backs since the economic collapse if not before.

There are some actors in their 20s and 30s who have succeeded in launching UK theatre and TV/movie careers without going to RADA or being born into loads of money or connections, though. Like Colin Morgan, Andrew Scott, James McAvoy (Colin and James attended the Royal Scottish Academy which probably isn't dirt cheap either, although Glasgow is not as expensive as London).

In a way acting offers an advantage over some career areas - while there are clearly benefits to having graduated an acting program it is not an official requirement to becoming a practicing member of the profession. Andrew Scott tried to start a college drama degree then quickly dropped out, but he has an Olivier award and a bafta and is in demand for theatre and TV. And he is an irish guy without a prestigious or rich family.

by Anonymousreply 27509/09/2013

Regarding his interviews , he's become fake. In his earlier ones I had hope this rich kid had at least some connection to the real people but it looks like I was wrong. I the words of mean girls - he's become a plastic.

by Anonymousreply 27609/09/2013

Why do some of you know so many details about his life like that? That is just kind of weird. Some of you must be some former fangirls who became disillusioned when didn't stop to admire your Loki costume on the red carpet or something

by Anonymousreply 27709/09/2013

277 google is a wonderful thing

by Anonymousreply 27809/09/2013

R270. Extremely familiar with the process, as it happens and it's still a lot tougher than you are saying it is. I know of very well connected people who didn't get in. Happy to concede the trust fund kid point but its hard to get into Cambridge. Eton helps but 'getting by' in your GCSEs means nothing, it's the A Levels they judge and more beside.

by Anonymousreply 27909/09/2013

Anyone seen his new Vanity Fair article? He namedrops his working class grandparents yet again, and talks about how he 'understands' what life was life in working class 1950s Liverpool. Keep trying Tom.

by Anonymousreply 28009/09/2013

R279 - stop being so disingenuous. Eton gives a student AT LEAST a 30 point UCAS points advantage but probably more like 90 - via class sizes, facilities and much more. Additionally, it also handholds students through the extra-curricular tickmarks that universities look for. You get some sport, some arts and some voluntary activities into your personal statement by barely lifting a finger.

I don't doubt that Hiddleston has a decent brain. But his path to Cambridge was unfairly advantaged by family wealth and connections.

Also remember that his "double first" isn't quite the double first that people think of. It's not two subjects or extra work. It just means he got a first in both years' exams. Plenty of students at other unis do that. It's just that Cambridge gives it a special snowflake name because it has so many special snowflake students.

by Anonymousreply 28109/09/2013

The posh bashing in this thread is unreal.

by Anonymousreply 28209/09/2013

Poor posh guys. They have it sooo rough :(

by Anonymousreply 28309/09/2013

This thread goes silent during primetime because the fraus are too impoverished to afford the $18 to post. No wonder they resent their betters.

by Anonymousreply 28409/09/2013

changing subject from his upbringing+education (btw the mention of his working class paternal grandparents is from harpersbazaaruk not vanity fair) to something very trivial, I saw this gif set and people are always saying that his hairline is receding but seems to me it was always this way.

by Anonymousreply 28509/09/2013

I guess it depends on hair colour

by Anonymousreply 28609/09/2013

[R275] Expect to see far fewer of those working class actors making good without the formal education. Arts funding is all but extinct, and this is directly impacting all of those smaller regional theatres which gave young up and coming actors a chance to become visible. Combine this with the disappearance of funding in higher education, and you have a system where going to RADA or anything equivalent is a luxury only the wealthiest can access.

TH's educational opportunities are by definition only available to about 4% of the population. It isn't like the United States where at least some public school districts (yes, they are always the wealthy districts) manage to provide opportunities similar to those available to kids in private schools. The doors are closed, and open only when the parents can pony up 30K a year or more in tuition.

People get pissed off about economic privilege (and TH's unwillingness to really acknowledge the advantages he has within his own culture) because this is a real and very painful issue. Calling it "posh bashing" is dismissive and disingenuous.

Agreed by the way about the "double first" thing. Americans in particular are way too easy to impress. These are the same people who swoon and gush when they hear a British accent.

by Anonymousreply 28709/09/2013

I feel compelled to post even though it's a bad idea. Maybe it's my public school education that unfairly got me into Oxford.

I live in Belsize Park not far from Tom. I work in finance, though I don't steal money from orphans and grannies. I manage high-net worth pensions, if I lose money,the grannies could afford it, believe me.

Hiddleston's really very nice. I sometimes see him at breakfast, and he's beyond courteous to the baristas, calling them 'darling', etc. We've spoken a bit in passing, and he waves when he sees me on the street even though I don't work in his industry and can't do anything for him, unless he wants me to manage his pension. I have blatantly checked him out before and he didn't seem bothered as some straight men do.

He's alone a lot when I see him, though he doesn't seem bothered when pretty young women and men come up to talk to him. Some of the regular NW3 set seem to have a nice rapport with him.

I think some of the criticism in here is unfair. So what if he's making up a public persona. He's not rude or deliberately unkind. Being pretentious isn't actually a crime.

by Anonymousreply 28809/09/2013

[R287] How is he supposed to react to his enormous privilege?

Say, yes, I was very lucky and not talk about it?

by Anonymousreply 28909/09/2013

Wait ... "so it predates Twilight and that stuff, which I haven’t seen ".

So he hasn't seen Twilight then' Wasn't it described as "interesting" ?

by Anonymousreply 29009/09/2013

Where is that twilight quote from?

by Anonymousreply 29109/09/2013

R291 here

by Anonymousreply 29209/09/2013

[R292] Jim Jarmusch (JJ) is the one saying he hasn't seen Twilight. So Tom wasn't changing his story, your reading comprehension was a bit off.

by Anonymousreply 29309/09/2013

R284 When's primetime? And yeah keep looking down on people for not wanting to spend money on a message board. I'm sure you're very successful and rich and never suffered a day in your life.

by Anonymousreply 29409/09/2013

R287 That's a really good post.

by Anonymousreply 29509/09/2013

R281. Disingenuous - no. What I object to is the implication Cambridge is an easy ride. Having an Eton background makes it a bit easier but certainly much less so than it used to be. And once you are there, you either put the work in or you're out.

by Anonymousreply 29609/09/2013

And R288 - that's a very good post

by Anonymousreply 29709/09/2013

hear hear about the additional Loki scenes on Thor2

by Anonymousreply 29809/09/2013

R288 Great post. By all accounts -- including yours -- Hiddleston is a genuinely nice guy to fans and when meeting people.

It's clear that he's very intelligent as well and he probably would have gotten into Eton on merit even if he wasn't a trust fund baby. See the link below for a hilarious pop quiz about Marvel villains and heroes.Tom does very well -- as do Hemsworth and Evans.

Yeah, he's rich, so what? Don't expect him to give it all away and become St. Francis of Assisi. OTOH, as his profile has risen, he engages in a lot of humblebragging and has in some interviews tried to cry poverty. When he was doing press for War Horse he was asked if he'd ever own a horse and he said it was a very expensive hobby and he couldn't afford it. During an Avengers interview w/Robert Downey Jr., the latter tells him, "you're going to make so much money and get rich!" And he says, "I hope so." Comments like these are just laughable.

The issue about making up a public personna is that it's dangerous these days because of Google, YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr & other social media where you get called out in a nanosecond.

by Anonymousreply 29909/09/2013

R299 - way to betray your utter ignorance of how you "get in" to Eton.

by Anonymousreply 30009/09/2013

Posh people are subject to a lot of hostility and resentment in the UK, and a successful acting career requires public popularity. What do you expect him to do about that in interviews? He can't change his family background. If he talked about his rich relations instead of the working class ones and about how much he doesn't need the big pay cheques he'll be getting as an actor he would just get villainized in the british press for it. The trust fund may well have run dry by now anyway, so maybe he is dependent on his employment income.

by Anonymousreply 30109/09/2013

R300 As an American, I freely admit I am utterly ignorant of how one gets into Eton. My point is Hiddleston is smart enough to have made it on merit/intelligence. Of course, money and connections do provide an enormous advantage.

by Anonymousreply 30209/09/2013

The point of a trust fund is it gives a certain amount of money every year for the rest of his life, so it can't really run dry.

by Anonymousreply 30309/09/2013

As an American, you probably won't understand the English class system. No matter how smart you are, in 99.9% of cases you need to come from the right sort of background. Old money connections, upper middle class at the very least. An expensive pre-Eton prep school education.

You hardly ever get into Eton on merit or intelligence; it's all about the money. Look at all the thick aristocratic kids who are guaranteed a place and then stroll into a job as an investment banker.

by Anonymousreply 30409/09/2013

Mediocre actor. Hammy, cold and clinical. If he hadnt got friendly with Ken Brannagh he'd have been stuck in supporting TV roles. The Shakespearean work he did recently was dire and his performances were overlooked by BAFTA because they knew how mediocre they were. He is unable to tone down his performances. He makes my skin crawl to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 30509/09/2013

R305 Tom is not that bad. Tbh, I think he's a good actor maybe too vain but good.

The real star of The Hollow Crown was, as usual, Simon Russell Beale, a fantastic Falstaff.

by Anonymousreply 30609/09/2013

I agree Beale was fantastic. Hiddleston must have thought that with appearances in 3 of the plays he was a lock for a nomination at least.

by Anonymousreply 30709/09/2013

r302 Eton is a prep school, not a post-secondary institution. The situation in the UK is the same as the one in the USA in regard to highly prestigious prep schools. Because those schools are expensive (both the tuition and boarding fees) and publicly funded schools are free, the entry requirements are pretty low on the list of what determines who attends in practice. Those kinds of schools are also exclusive and tend to give special regard to kids of alumni.

For an American example, George W. Bush attended very exclusive and prestigious privately funded American prep schools. He's not a learned man or a brilliant man, but his family could afford to send him and they are powerful, high status people with a history of attending such schools (his father attended Phillips Academy in Andover before he did). There would have been plenty of kids in America who deserved that place more than he did in terms of brain power and academic drive.

by Anonymousreply 30809/09/2013

[quote] The point of a trust fund is it gives a certain amount of money every year for the rest of his life, so it can't really run dry.

Loads of trust fund kids spend up all the money in their trust fund once they come of age. They can access the principal once they become adults.

by Anonymousreply 30909/09/2013

He's not his fault that his family is rich, or better his mother family is rich, his dad became rich, that is why he send Tom to Eton

by Anonymousreply 31009/09/2013

R308 Thanks :-) I get that Eton caters to blue bloods with prestigious pedigrees as do US schools like Phillips Academy and that the rich constitute most of the enrollment. But even at Eton there must be a few "just plain folk" who manage to sneak in. A friend and co-worker of mine who comes from a solidly American middle class background attended Phillips Academy and was a classmate of JFK, Jr's. They were in the same Algebra class. Both flunked but only my friend ended up in summer school.

by Anonymousreply 31109/09/2013

There probably are one or two plain folk there, but Hiddleston is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 31209/09/2013

It's a big school, there are 1200 boys there, so they have to let in a couple of normal-ish kids to fill up the quota and keep their charitable status.

by Anonymousreply 31309/09/2013

Doesn't just about everyone put on different masks for different situations. Of course, Tom is going to be putting his best foot foward in interviews and things related to his career. When he is just one on one with friends he is more casual and relaxed. Aren't most of us like that?

by Anonymousreply 31409/09/2013

To clarify - there are about half a dozen kids at Eton on scholarships by virtue of intelligence. Whether or not TH is bright has NOTHING whatsoever to do with his going there. And that he is bright is only partially responsible for admission to Cambridge.

To clarify further - I am not entirely knocking TH himself. He can't help where he comes from. I wish he would actually OWN the leg ups he's had in life rather than pretending to be humble, but that's by the bye.

What I *am* knocking, is a bunch of silly fans who will go to any lengths to pretend that he isn't really that privileged and even if he is, he's so brilliant/clever/talented/wonderful, all those advantages haven't really made much of a difference. He'd be where he is even if he'd been born in a council estate in Tottenham.

I'm sure he's a nice guy. I'm sure he works hard at acting. I'm sure he's reasonably bright. But what he is most of all, is privileged.

by Anonymousreply 31509/09/2013

[R289] Good question. A similar question might be "What is a man supposed to do about male privilege?" or "what is a white person supposed to do about white privilege?"

Well, a good place to start would be to acknowledge that there really is a system of blank checks at work here, available only to people of a certain class, which effectively shuts out a lot of worthy and deserving "have-nots" before they are old enough to even go to school, and which vastly over-rewards the "haves" who were signed up for the Dragon School when they were still in utero. Stop acting like there isn't an issue here, and, more importantly, put aside this idea that acknowledging the issue is optional and personal. The very fact that you can ignore the whole thing is part of your privilege and it is wrong.

Please stop complaining about "posh bashing." It is no different than the complaints some people make about "reverse discrimination," or all the creepy guys who bitch because they can't hit up on their secretaries anymore. You are trying to silence legitimate criticism and it is not okay. These complaints a great way however to show the world that you really have NO IDEA what it is like to REALLY be discriminated against.

Do something about it! Let's talk about how we can create equality instead of how we can stack the decks for our own children. Bring back school grants and arts funding. Stop bitching about the taxes you pay. Personally I would like to see the end of public schools (Britain) and private schools (US) in favor of equalizing opportunities for all children. At the very least, they should lose their nonprofit status unless they can prove that they are making efforts to afford access to the less privileged in a significant way. If Harvard University can do this, so can they.

I hope this helps.

by Anonymousreply 31609/09/2013

The truth is, you can call him many things,but an asshole he seems to not be. At all. By all accounts he's a pretty friendly puppy, even his potential pension advisor thinks so. As for education, it really isn't his fault for being born into money and let's be honest, if you'd have the chance at his education, wouldn't you take it? Anyone in their right mind would. The difference is, he seems not to have become the spoiled arse others so easily become and that's pretty respectable. I have no clue what he has done in life, maybe he had hard stuff to deal with ( and "hard" is very subjective,the hardest for you is the hardest you've ever been subjected to. Same goes for anyone else) As for his Shakespearean quoting, he's a Shakespeare fanboy ,isn't he? Let the man geek out. He probably tries to impress, yes, but most people do. The fact that his brain hard disk is full of plays makes it that much easier for him. Some go all debonair and quote serious bullcrap when trying to impress. At least Shakespeare truly has some value. I'd rather hear this than someone's analysis of Picasso's stroke technique and usage of colors.That's where I really want to slap people

by Anonymousreply 31709/09/2013

[R288] I am glad you posted! There is nothing to fear. Maybe it feels unwise, but really this is just a discussion board and nobody is being harmed.

Yes, your public school education has given you advantages and those advantages have a lot to do with where you are right now.

No, being pretentious isn't the worst thing a person can be, and I am sure that TH is pleasant and a lovely neighbor. But you said the word yourself, darling. "Pretentious," eh? Is it okay if we call him pretentious then? Is it okay if a lot of people find that to be disagreeable even if it is not on a par with many worse qualities?

I think a lot of us would respect TH a lot more if he applied his acting energies to actual performances on stage and screen, and let everything else simply be real. It is nice of you to acknowledge that he is in fact creating a fake persona and that he is consciously making himself into a product for consumption.

I really wish he would stop though. It is manipulative and superficial, and I think the world has enough Hollywood "products" to consume. It does cause a lot of us to legitimately question his artistic integrity. Can't he build a career on his acting ability?

by Anonymousreply 31809/09/2013

[quote] I wish he would actually OWN the leg ups he's had in life rather than pretending to be humble, but that's by the bye.

Like any sort of privilege I think it is quite hard for the possessor to really comprehend the magnitude of the impact it has on their life arc and day to day existence. Traits like age, gender, good looks, race, height, impressive voice/accent, etc, etc make a big difference to the reactions of people around us, but we are all living our individual experience and it's easy for those with privilege to take positive reactions for granted as normal. Pretty much the only way to really have a feel for the difference a privilege makes is if you spent time without it, either starting out without it or losing it along the way.

Plus, we are his potential consumers and interviews are business. If you are in a job interview do you go on about how your accomplishments should be heavily qualified by whatever privileges you enjoy? "Yes, I became a manager at that organization but my male gender and my height made promotion to a supervisory position more statistically likely. Please bear that in mind in your decision."

by Anonymousreply 31909/09/2013

I'm both proud and amused that this thread has turned into a discussion of class privilege.

Well done, guys. But would you want to see him naked?

by Anonymousreply 32009/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 32109/09/2013

I think what most people are trying to point out is that to TH credit he made the best out of his situation, he studied and worked etc.

The problem is when he does speeches like at Nerd HQ about "not wasting time" and "you only have one life" and "being positive" without realizing that it is very easy when all your life you had a safe net that allowed you to focus completely on realizing your dream. He certainly never had to worry about how he was going to pay rent and food, he certainly never had to accept a day job at, say, a call-centre so he could pay for his basic needs.

I don't think he is clueless about his luck, but maybe he is too simplistic.

by Anonymousreply 32209/09/2013

I forgot, I have no idea why he changed his attitude during interviews, the way he changed his outfits. Maybe he wanted to be taken more seriously and less like a clown. After all even during interviews he is working...Maybe he is still trying to find a balance.

by Anonymousreply 32309/09/2013

No, I don't want to see him naked . He sounds like a commitmentphobe. Lets face it I don't think he's trustworthy in that area and by the sounds of it not at all ready for a long term relationship. I just wish he'd stop this fake 'prove people' wrong ' mantra and start being himself again.

by Anonymousreply 32409/09/2013

R320 that is a given.

by Anonymousreply 32509/09/2013

He contradicts himself in interviews and its catching up with him

by Anonymousreply 32609/09/2013

[R322] I might be wrong,but I don't think he was always this optimistic. I know I saw an episode of something or a clip, I have no idea, that was a couple of years old and he did seem like this much darker individual. Not at all as bubbly and smiling. Maybe he's become more secure and confident with time, but he does strike me as someone who hasn't always been about "not wasting time" and "you only have one life" and "being positive".

by Anonymousreply 32709/09/2013

Well, I wouldn't say no to seeing him naked, but he's pretty far down my list of UK celebrities I'd like to see in a nude scene. I just don't particularly find him sexy.

by Anonymousreply 32809/09/2013

In regards to the neighbour, aren't we all nice to them when in reality some piss us off? The person doesn't know him personally.

by Anonymousreply 32909/09/2013

R327 You might be right, about confidence aspect, and I'm sure he had his dark moments, rejections at auditions (he mentioned this in that Madrid interview). What I meant is that these hard moments were only moments. He didn't have to compromise to go on pursuing his dream.

by Anonymousreply 33009/09/2013

[quote] but he does strike me as someone who hasn't always been about "not wasting time" and "you only have one life" and "being positive".

His career was probably looking shitty and depressing at the time, and who knows how much money he had at that point. If your positivity doesn't seem to be paying off and you may have spent a lot of time and effort trying to establish yourself in a field that ends up being a pipe dream before resorting to a fall back job, you aren't going to be singing the praises of magic powers of positive thinking and going on about not wasting time and all that.

by Anonymousreply 33109/09/2013

[R329] potential pension advisor here. Yes, I don't know him personally, but I own a flat in a mansion block and he's friendlier to me than several people that live in my own building.

I have no idea what he's like in relationships or if he's playing a character in interviews, but in my own interaction with him he's been very pleasant.

Yes, sure, so what, but sometimes it's meaningful to have some positive social interaction from acquaintances when I'm on my way home from work or grabbing a flat white or whatever.

It's a good quality that he has.

by Anonymousreply 33209/09/2013

I don't think he is as much as a commitmentphobe as he just hasn't found the right person yet that really excites him enoough. I can relate to that. And these "model stories" involving him I am beginning to think they are a bit laughable. I have yet to see a picture or hear of a certain model he has been tied with unlike Cumberbatch where there is proof of him being a bit of a modelizer. I think some people are just trying to make him out to be this big womanizer when in reality he is just a regular guy. He is a flirt but that doesn't mean he is sleeping with every woman he flirts with. He doesn't throw his privilege in other people's faces at least.

by Anonymousreply 33309/09/2013

I have seen him naked (Deep Blue Sea) and though he was certainly in great shape, and I commend him on that, he doesn't do much for me. I don't think this is his strength.

On the power of positive thinking: I value emotional honesty more than anything, and as a counselor I don't see a lot of value in telling people how to feel.

This does not mean that I believe negativity is more "real" than optimism, I think that is a fallacy, but I do question the motives of people who feel it is their place to tell other people what to feel, and I hate fake, forced smiles. You have to be where you actually are and feel what you really are feeling before you can move forward or be any use to others. The fact that even TH acknowledges that his "optimism" irritates people indicates to me that he knows on some level that he is not being very real. This is the quality that annoys people.

by Anonymousreply 33409/09/2013

Tom owes himself emotional honest, and to the people he loves, but does he owe it to us on Datalounge? Or a journalist he spends 5 minutes in a hotel room with during a press junket?

by Anonymousreply 33509/09/2013

[R335] Well if he is emotionally dishonest in any context, he shouldn't be too surprised when people concludehe is emotionally dishonest.

He doesn't owe anyone anything, but likewise nobody owes him anything either.

by Anonymousreply 33609/09/2013

[R335] Yep. We basically are,most of us at least, given the benefit of the doubt, people who have never even met the guy. So our perception is purely that of a stranger. He, like everyone else in this world, will not serve himself up on a silver platter with a superfluity of emotional honesty. Maybe not even to people he knows,maybe he reserves the complete honesty for himself

by Anonymousreply 33709/09/2013

It just seems like it would be emotionally exhausting to be either really cynical or really optimistic all the time. If he is being emotionally dishonest it would just be a matter of time before he implodes from it.

by Anonymousreply 33809/09/2013

Seriously with this shit?

Emotional honesty?

by Anonymousreply 33909/09/2013

He is what he is. We all have many faces we present in different arenas of our lives. We just see his public try me face. Who knows what he is truly like, fun to speculate, but that is all it is. I think he is mostly a positive guy, with a good outlook. I think he means well with his UNICEF shout outs. He does not have to live poor to care about the poor. He may do behind the scenes volunteer work we know nothing about. I know his fan base thinks he is an A lister with paparazzi tagging his every move, but that is not true. I still think he is gay. JMHO

by Anonymousreply 34009/09/2013

I like my people to be good and menschy through and though, but failing that, I will take assholery over asskissery any day.

All this love your life patronizing unicorn prince look at me say my name shit just raises the bar. He will have to have the talent of Chiwetel for me to listen to this fake crap for even a minute.

I will tell you right now, he doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 34109/09/2013

The PR campaign in the run up to the Thor premiere has begun. Marvel's started a Free Loki campaign asking fans to re-tweet the #FreeLoki for a chance to win an autographed T-shirt from you know who. Tom knows where his bread is buttered: he's a regular parakeet tweeting it as well.

by Anonymousreply 34209/10/2013

He posted this a while back on his twitter (May 19):

"Nothing to resist, nothing to hold you back. It dares you with a question: "what do you want to do?" as opposed to "what do you have to do?"

Hell.. with a trust fund, who wouldn't wonder the same....

by Anonymousreply 34309/10/2013

Tom is too attention seeking. He'll be knocked out of the respected new young British actor pool by Fassbender (if he hasn't been already)

by Anonymousreply 34409/10/2013

Sometimes I wonder if he has even pulled an Amanda Bynes and made another twitter account under a different name so he could post really fucked up thoughts that he has.

by Anonymousreply 34509/10/2013

I really like the guy. I really do. But sometimes I do think that all of his "love your life" is just a cover. I think he could really hit it big with a wider audience if only he stopped acting like he's an unicorn.

by Anonymousreply 34609/10/2013

wait, there will be a scandal someday.....

by Anonymousreply 34709/11/2013

[R347] Yes, he stepped on a bunny and didn't apologize within 30 seconds...

I don't see any scandal material in there, I don't even see scandal material in Cumberbatch, for the simple reason that they know how to bury it,if it would happen. And also, nobody cares to uncover it

by Anonymousreply 34809/11/2013

We'll see r348. He needs a wife real soon or tongues will wag.

by Anonymousreply 34909/11/2013

r349 appears to be posting from 1939.

by Anonymousreply 35009/11/2013

[R349]if being gay is the worst thing he can be called, I don't think he'll mind. Does anybody care for that anyway noways? It had a much more terrifying connotation 10 years ago than it does today. Now everyone is either "aright then" or "uuh,free publicity!"

by Anonymousreply 35209/11/2013

1939 was a great year for film.

by Anonymousreply 35309/11/2013

R343 did you take that one from lipstick alley? let me take apart your conclusion as well as LA ones (dumb fangirl using it to prove the worst fanfiction ever, aka one night stand with an African American model)

If you read the tweet on May 9 and 11 2012 it's clear he was already gathering material on OLLA. So those 3 tweet on May 20 (not 19) was him making consideration on OLLA.

by Anonymousreply 35509/11/2013

This guy needs to eat more. He's skinny like a drug addicted

by Anonymousreply 35609/11/2013

I think this guy has successfully managed to be something that nobody knows what it exactly is. He's all unicorn and sparkles but you know he has a dark side,but then again nobody can prove it. I find that to be a quite cool thing to pull off

by Anonymousreply 35709/11/2013

Was this "Petition for Marvel for a Loki spin-off" already posted?

by Anonymousreply 35809/11/2013

I do not doubt that Tom has a dark side. No one can be that sunny all of the time. I think he does put up a front. I get a sense that he is really insecure and is terrified that if people will get to know the real him and they will reject him. I think he has this intense need to please people and be liked. I completely understand since I am the same way but I am working on it.

I do love this guy but no way do I think he is the sparkly unicorn that the fangirls think he is.

by Anonymousreply 35909/11/2013

If he's gay then having to live a lie for years and years must be so draining. He's a terrible actor (no depth) but I do feel sorry for him. His face is quite odd. He always has this manic grin on it yet it still looks tense.

He's the equivalent of a fast food meal. You soon forget him. Now Cumberbatch on the other hand is a meal I want to savour very slowly for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 36009/11/2013

does this guy have the most determined on fans to date? I mean, Loki spin-off? Didn't the marvel people have some Free Loki thing happening on twitter too?

I think Cumberbatch is really lucky with the face he has, I thought he was overacting in a disturbing way in Star Trek but his face fit in the picture so it was all good. Hiddleston couldn't pull it off,simply because he doesn't have that sociopath look about him. Not saying he's an equally great actor, but he could be perceived as a much better one if he's have the psycho face

by Anonymousreply 36109/11/2013

From how TH speaks of Loki here I doubt it sounds like for him it's a closed chapter.

by Anonymousreply 36209/11/2013

There's something special about him. But tall lanky guys have always been my thing.

by Anonymousreply 36309/11/2013

[R343] Wow, what a silver spoon baby we have here! In what teapot did Marvel find this guy exactly?

So does this mean that that third-tier straight to DVD Pixie Hollow movie which, let's face it, is not about great writing but selling merchandise to four year old girls, was what he WANTED?

It's sad really. He is a educated man and clearly has better resources to draw upon, yet he chooses to sound off like the the most vapid self-help manual ever.

by Anonymousreply 36409/11/2013

[R361] I think the Loki Spinoff his fans envision would be along the lines of the "Draco in leather pants" cliche:

Marvel would have to be really desperate to resort to this for a spin-off.

By the way, I really think this is 95% of TH's fandom. It's actually a Loki fandom. This is not going to make a great career for him, and if he continues to cling to this because he is starved for attention, it will hurt, not help, his career.

But hey, he is choosing what he wants, right? Clearly being a serious actor is NOT what he wants.

by Anonymousreply 36509/11/2013

Well at least we have the VPL to enjoy. He has that still going on. Hopefully, and I stress the hopeful part, his role in Crimson Peak will reach a more mature audience and start distancing him from the cartoon/comic book fans. If he will just stop with the 'Look at me I am Loki' crap and concentrate on 'growing up' and into adult roles.

by Anonymousreply 36609/11/2013

Q with Jian Ghomeshi - Tom Hiddleston

by Anonymousreply 36709/11/2013

I like Hiddles, but jesus he's so longwinded

by Anonymousreply 36809/11/2013

Do we wanna ask Hiddleston anything?

by Anonymousreply 36909/11/2013

Wow, he must be really desperate.

by Anonymousreply 37009/11/2013

Other people do twitter Q&As, that's not that desperate.

by Anonymousreply 37109/11/2013

Twitter Q&As are fairly common. More to the point, will Hiddleston/Loki's Army of 650,000+ Twitter followers crash the site tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 37209/11/2013

I like Hiddleston. I really do. I honestly think he's a genuinely nice chap - at least everything that I've seen and heard so far leads me to believe so. I also think he just wants to be famous and to be an A-lister. More than anything else I reckon. More than just being a successful actor (character or otherwise) for its own sake. How else to explain all this look-at-me business?

Is this all part of the PR blitz for Thor 2? Do the Loki's Army crowd really need any further encouragement? I wouldn't have thought so... The man is playing with fire IMO :-(

by Anonymousreply 37309/11/2013

It's promoting simple as that, until he's a contract with Marvel that's he's gonna do. I don't understand why hemsworth and eccleston no, maybe they have a different contract

by Anonymousreply 37409/11/2013

Yes, that's right I guess. It somehow feels like preaching to the converted though.

by Anonymousreply 37509/11/2013

They want to milk the Loki superfans for all they are worth because the movie, truth be told, is not turning out all that well, and if there is one thing that TH has, it is stamina and sturdy kneepads.

He is also desperate to pump up his Twitter numbers because this has direct market value, and I don't think Luke is above purchasing them.

by Anonymousreply 37609/11/2013

R373 and R374 I agree with both of you. Hiddleston does have a contract w/Marvel (and he undoubtedly hopes they'll pick up the option for him to be in two more films). Those contracts include standard clauses for the actors to promote the films. Hiddleston/Loki was the hottest thing in Thor and The Avengers. His turn at Comic Con cemented this for Kevin Feige who duly noted the crowd frenzy and all the people dressed up in Loki costumes. Feige had Hiddles film extra scenes and is rumored to have changed the ending so that Loki survives. Feige also commented that Loki will be around as a Marvel "big bad" for some time.

Loki's Army doesn't need any more encouragement, but our man Tom is going to give it to them anyway.Yes, he's playing with fire, but he likes it. Think about it: if they crash Twitter tomorrow it will be big news. More headlines for Tom and by tomorrow night he and his Hiddleconda will be getting their jollies trolling Tumblr...

by Anonymousreply 37709/11/2013

He's obviously paying attention to what's being said on Twitter, Tumblr etc since he's back in Twitter in a big way with his Songs of the Day etc. I like that Tom better than Mr Quiety-not-interacting-with-the-fans.

And Twitter won't crash tomorrow. If Gaga did it, maybe, but not Tom. It's a nice thing to do though. I wonder how many marriage proposals he's had so far?

I might just tweet him a picture of a jar of chocolate body paint and a whip with 'My place? 8pm' ha ha ha ha ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 37809/11/2013

I like Tom and think he is generally a good person but he does have some emotional instability lurking underneath. I never thought of him as some princely unicorn.

by Anonymousreply 37909/11/2013

I think that is what he wants, DESPERATELY, and though many of his fans are very ardent and will campaign heavily to get him as much exposure as possible, I don't think they are that many or that they will succeed. As far as fandom numbers go, 650k is actually not very much. He needs to double this if he wants his Twitter presence to count toward anything meaningful.

I also fundamentally don't believe that Loki was going to be killed off in Thor. It would be a lame ending, don't you think, considering that this was how they ended Thor 1? Also it would sabotage a substantial portion of the Marvel universe which requires Loki to be around for Ragnarok, to go up against Dr. Strange, etc.

The rumor I have heard about the death of a major character is Frigga. Her death, as the one person in Asgard who cares about Loki and the emotional core of her family, would up the emotional stakes a lot, and from a storytelling point of view make a lot more sense. There is nothing new about any of this.

by Anonymousreply 38009/11/2013

That interview showed how disconnected he can be. He really want to be famous badly. Now Jessica has given him the elbow, do you think he'll try on move onto Mia? He hasn't tried dating a high profile co star yet and I wouldn't put it past him

by Anonymousreply 38109/11/2013

R381 a high profile actress will only overshadow him in the limelight. I also think you underestimate his fanbase. They can be pretty loud even though the numbers aren't as high as other actors.

by Anonymousreply 38209/11/2013

R381 Hiddleston and Chastain were never a couple, that rumor got started by some over-anxious PR person. As for Mia W. she's dating Jesse Eisenberg her co-star in The Double and they were at TIFF together...But Crimson Peak doesn't start filming for another five months, so who knows?

by Anonymousreply 38309/11/2013

R378 do it and link us!!!

by Anonymousreply 38409/11/2013

I love how Cumberbatch is on the front of the Hollywood Reporter with the headlines screaming he's an A Lister now. Eat that Hiddleston.

Last year they had 4 on the cover including Hardy and Chastain but its just Benedict getting all the cover to himself this year.

by Anonymousreply 38509/11/2013

R385 Neither of them are A-list.

by Anonymousreply 38609/11/2013

Oh honey! Cumberbatch is good PR, I give him that. But he is not A-List. You have to be charming and connect with the audiences. If talent was all it took to make it in HW, trust me... shit like Brangelina wouldn't mean a thing. Cumberbatch is a trend thing. Yes, he's posh. He's talented. But he doesn't have the charm. Doesn't have the looks. He might be handsome for the intellectual, but it's the mainstream market the one that put you in the A-list pedestal. And he is not connecting with the masses... the last Hollywood report interview makes it look like an ass... I'm not saying that Hiddleston will be A-list either. If he only stops the laziness and ass kissing and gets decent roles... who knows!

by Anonymousreply 38709/11/2013

Cumberbatch is not A list yet. His PR is trying. Let the audiences and your work decide that, not a headline.

by Anonymousreply 38809/11/2013

Who the fuck is the Cumberbatch is A-List trollina?

by Anonymousreply 38909/11/2013

oh god, here I was looking for some deets. and all I see is this cucumber nonsense

by Anonymousreply 39009/11/2013

TH is lazy and has lost his edge as an actor and as an artist. Not that this has ever stopped anyone from having a career in HW. I'm just saying.

by Anonymousreply 39109/11/2013

[R391], seriously some of the shit people on here say!. You make a statement like that as if it is fact. How the hell would you know if he is lazy and lost his edge? Currently OLLA is getting good reviews, including his performance. He may be a lot of things but I don't think Lazy is one of them. I happen to think he is a good actor, but not suited to leading roles. He was good as Fitzgerald in Midnight in Paris, he was good in the first Thor, He was good in the small part he had in War Horse, and he was good in Wallander.

I don't see him as a leading man for most films, unless it is something quirkly like OLLA.

by Anonymousreply 39209/11/2013

Unfortunately Quirkt doesn't make TH the A lister he wants to be and he wants it desperatly - it shows . I think he really wants to get rid if Liki and be taken seriously but of course that will kill off his fan base.

by Anonymousreply 39309/12/2013

I really wouldn't call the guy lazy. Most of the threads about him here even point out and absolutely not lazy he is and how that annoys some people. He's all over,at all times,trying to get things or get things done. Lazy looks vastly different. Lazy is complacent and again, if he'd be complacent, nobody would have anything to talk about here

by Anonymousreply 39409/12/2013

He seems gay in his nude scene with Rachel Weisz.

by Anonymousreply 39509/12/2013

r387 I think you are putting an out dated emphasis on the American market. The international market, particularly the asian market, is really important now and gets major consideration by studios. Cumberbatch has a big following in asia. He is an asset in marketing a film, and he is a talented marketing asset (not all of them are) with a distinctive, highly castable face and voice.

Also conventional good looks aren't so important with male movie stars. Look at guys like Tom Hanks, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman and Russell Crowe. They've all been A-list and they've never been outstanding physical specimens.

I don't know if Benedict will be Hollywood A-List. Frankly who even knows if he'll decide that he wants that after dipping his toes into Hollywood. Staying a Hollywood A-lister means playing (usually pretty boring) lead roles in a lot of Hollywood blockbuster crap and developing and maintaining a broadly popular public persona. He has a lot of alternative interesting opportunities that he can follow while still getting some juicy supporting roles in major Hollywood movies and some lead roles in interesting smaller films without devoting himself to achieving Hollywood mega stardom.

by Anonymousreply 39609/12/2013

r396 sounds fat

by Anonymousreply 39709/12/2013

[quote] the last Hollywood report interview makes it look like an ass

Actually it made the interviewer look like an ass who was desperate to make his interview stand out from all the other interviews Cumberbatch has been doing lately to promote his movies.

by Anonymousreply 39809/12/2013

It's also interesting to notice how BC acquired all this following without having twitter or facebook. Prove that having many followers doesn't necessarily do something for you...unless you are a musician.

by Anonymousreply 39909/12/2013

Do BC stans have to talk about him here as well? Can't you formulate one thought without mentioning him?

by Anonymousreply 40009/12/2013

Back to the TH interview . Who noticed he nearly said "I like my F.." Then he stopped and started quoting something. I really do think its fame he's after. TH sounds like a great stage actor and he could of easily make his name in the westend and broadway , but of course this doesn't get him his name in flashy lights or as much attention .

by Anonymousreply 40109/12/2013

[R397] you sound particularly clever

by Anonymousreply 40209/12/2013

anon sounds fat

by Anonymousreply 40309/12/2013

[R401]I think it's simple recognition he's after. If fame brings that,ok. I'm sure he's be happy even with just some important award. Or really...any award(s) to begin with

by Anonymousreply 40409/12/2013

I clicked on this thread thinking "I bet the Cumberbatch stans have taken this thread over because they feel the need to shoehorn him into every conversation about British actors." Thank you for not disappointing, Cumberbitches.

by Anonymousreply 40509/12/2013

These British actors show why Europe is a dead continent.

by Anonymousreply 40609/12/2013

I'm sorry my american friend [R406] but the day where the US will have provided the world half the cultural heritage that Europe has, you can make that statement. British actors are actual actors, not the caricature version that run around in H-wood. They don't go from working at McDonalds to acting, they actually learn how to do it. I know that's what the american dream is all about but it doesn't mean it provides quality. While Europe was building a civilization for thousands of years you proud americans were only put on that continent a couple of centuries ago. And guess where you come from? :)

by Anonymousreply 40709/12/2013

So basically Jessica says he's a weeper

by Anonymousreply 40809/12/2013

oops I meant These British actor THREADS show why Europe is a dead continent.

agree about the actors r407 it is the fan girls that are killing the continent.

by Anonymousreply 40909/12/2013

I love how Jessica couldn't care less of talking about Tom but used him to make fun of Horowitz, "Your boy Tom Hiddleston".

Anyway, they are making me curious, a scary Jane Eyre story sounds interesting and if they already did dress rehearsal chances are it'll get done.

by Anonymousreply 41009/12/2013

She doesn't care because her italian boyfriend he's really hot

by Anonymousreply 41109/12/2013

is not he's, sorry

by Anonymousreply 41209/12/2013

I didn't really mean it that sense, just that instead of doing the usual list of compliments to a fellow actor she turned it into something funny.

Besides it's not really a competition between Jessica's boyfriend and TH. Not every woman of the planet finds TH boyfriend material.

by Anonymousreply 41309/12/2013

excepted Arthy chick

by Anonymousreply 41409/12/2013

Tut. By "lazy" I mean lazy as an actor. Others have described him as hammy and superficial, and I have to agree and add that I think this is intellectual and emotional laziness. If this is what RADA produces these days, it is pretty sad.

We all know that he has no end of energy for fawning over studio execs, currying favor with fan girls, promoting himself, doing backflips for cameras, etc. Try hard is what he is all about-- to bad he can't match it with try smart.

by Anonymousreply 41509/12/2013

This is the age of social media, that in itself promotes 'laziness' of sorts. TH uses it to his advantage by cultivating or pandering to the fans. I did find myself fast forwarding that radio interview after the first couple of minutes, as it was truly boring, repetitious. TH sounds a tad too emo for any self respecting woman to desire for BF material. I appreciate a kind, thoughtful and tender man, but one who cries over any little thing would get slapped down and told to man up. Yes TH is a bottom and probably enjoys being spanked. LOL

by Anonymousreply 41609/12/2013

R416 Emo? Cries a lot? Where do you get that? What did he say in the interview? Usually he seems very cheery and in control in public situations.

by Anonymousreply 41709/12/2013

This is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 41809/12/2013

He's a very hammy actor. There's no heart to his acting. Its surface gloss. Painting by numbers acting.

by Anonymousreply 41909/12/2013

R417 the interview is the one R408 posted between Horowitz and Jessica Chastain.

by Anonymousreply 42009/12/2013

R417 Hiddleston himself owns up to being weepy. It was a frequent theme when he was shamelessly baiting his Twitter fangirls. They'd send him cards and gifts and he'd respond by saying "Stop, you're making me cry."

BTW, one of the rumors surrounding BC's departure from Crimson Peak over "creative differences" was that he supposedly didn't like the fact that his character and Jessica Chastain's character are married but also brother & sister. del Toro has supposedly re-written the script so maybe the incest is not in it anymore. But Jessica did say it was scary & kinky. Whatever, it made Hiddles cry, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 42109/12/2013

this teary thing,yes? Someone made a gifset because you can't watch the video outside the US

by Anonymousreply 42209/12/2013

Strange, I don't live in the US and I could watch it. Anyway, yes that's the bit.

by Anonymousreply 42309/12/2013

Get your marriage proposals at the ready guys... his twitter Q&A starts in half an hour

by Anonymousreply 42409/12/2013

chat is on, how boring

by Anonymousreply 42509/12/2013

Always the same questions. ALWAYS

by Anonymousreply 42609/12/2013

19 replies in 1 hour, is he a slow typewriter or what?

by Anonymousreply 42709/12/2013

no just so long winded he spends the time trimming words to fit.

by Anonymousreply 42809/12/2013

LOL R428 that is probably true. I believe his true talent lies in walking that fine line between "oh my god I want to strangle him" and "baby let me sit on your face" with such finesse.

by Anonymousreply 42909/12/2013

So this is trending... #TomQandA Who has a twitter account to ask if he reads DL? Haha

by Anonymousreply 43009/12/2013

some of his answers are very short though and on occasion he gave two. I think he isn't very organized, he is answering now questions he received more than 30 minutes ago.

by Anonymousreply 43109/12/2013

Torrilla account asked him a question. I guess that's the end of Hiddles is Torrilla conspiracy.

by Anonymousreply 43209/12/2013

He didn't even know how a fan knew he cries when he gets spooked, I don't think he tumblr much or at all.

by Anonymousreply 43309/12/2013

[R432] That theory wasn't really supported by anything seen as how it's clear she's asian aka living in asia and nowhere near "Tom's team".

Who organized this thing anyway? It's just tom and fans,no marvel involvement or whatever it was supposed to be

by Anonymousreply 43409/12/2013

[R433] He just didn't tumblr enough today.

by Anonymousreply 43509/12/2013

How long will this chat last? Or does he just disappear at one point?

by Anonymousreply 43609/12/2013

Is he the slowest tweeter of all time or are these checked my Marvel and or Luke first?

by Anonymousreply 43709/12/2013

I hope someone asks him why does he google himself if he is as confident as he says. Also it would be funny if Arthy asks him why hasn't he returned her calls.

by Anonymousreply 43809/12/2013

He's so slow ! Is he typing out the answers with one finger? With all his money he could at least get lessons in IT

by Anonymousreply 43909/12/2013

He seems much more boring in live human interaction than in his regular tweets and interviews. What a shame... I wish he'd pick a question that's actually interesting

by Anonymousreply 44009/12/2013

"Tom Hiddleston ‏ This whole #TomQandA thing is really showing me up in the typing skills department."

So he's just slow then

by Anonymousreply 44109/12/2013

He picks the questions which are all about his work and promotion of his future projects. Besides, I have a strong feeling that Luke is staring intently over his shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 44209/12/2013

[R440] When he doesn't try to be interesting,that's when he's interesting. Maybe he should realize that,it would do him good. These "look,look I'm interesting" tweet replies are really not

by Anonymousreply 44309/12/2013

I mean c'mon it's not like he'd be answering a tweet that asked for his favorite sexual position

by Anonymousreply 44409/12/2013

Didn't some just made a comment about his typing skills on DL? Proof he lurks here

by Anonymousreply 44509/12/2013

R445 that's quite a stretch. Maybe he just looked at the hour and realized he replied only to a few questions.

by Anonymousreply 44609/12/2013

[R445] If he types like that,do you think he can multitask better? Unless he has an open DL tab haha. Then let's encourage him to answer better questions

by Anonymousreply 44709/12/2013

Tom- go back to work and answer the fangirls instead of googling yourself again.

by Anonymousreply 44809/12/2013

He's been going for over two hours now, that's pretty good to give him his due. I hope he has a bottle of wine with him and just gets more and more pissed as the Q&A goes on and the barriers go down.... That I'd like to watch...

by Anonymousreply 44909/12/2013

Can't decide if Tom would be a funny or moody/introspective drunk. Hm.

by Anonymousreply 45009/12/2013

If anyone is bored with the Q&A, the ladies of Celebitchy are doing their very own bitchy parody with some of the most dreadful songs of the day ever.

by Anonymousreply 45109/12/2013

[R450] I envision him crying if triggered

by Anonymousreply 45209/12/2013

I'd love to see a drunk Tom. Although he could easily be annoying by talking more than usual drunk

by Anonymousreply 45309/12/2013

The tweets from girls whose questions were rejected may be the best thing about this.

by Anonymousreply 45409/12/2013

But wouldn't it be super fun if he told you he loved you every other word? [R453] Cause I can see that happening "Listen,dude...dude...poetry is the essence of life and the comprehension it provides is immense but dude, I love you! You know I love you? Like in art,feelings are vital and I love you, I really do"

by Anonymousreply 45509/12/2013

Ha ha while honking up a gallon of Malbec in a back alley. Do it Tom! Get completely wasted and let those fingers run wild on the keyboard!

by Anonymousreply 45609/12/2013

He's been at this Q&A thing for almost 3hours now. Can he still do it? But at least he gets some fanswooning all over

by Anonymousreply 45709/12/2013

It's been 3 hours because he's bloody slow. This whole thing is a mess, so he might as well get drunk. We then might see if actually has an own opinion

by Anonymousreply 45809/12/2013

he is the living breathing embodiment of everything negative about the notion of being a 'hipster'.

by Anonymousreply 45909/12/2013

Is he too polite to say "ok we gotta stop now" and is this going to go on until tomorrow morning?

by Anonymousreply 46009/12/2013

459 ask him that!

by Anonymousreply 46109/12/2013

I think he's gonna do this Q and A until he reaches 10.000 more followers

by Anonymousreply 46209/12/2013

Well then... "Thank you so much for all your questions. Sorry I couldn't answer them all. 3 hours on the clock & sore fingers. Lots of love. xxx "

That was fun

by Anonymousreply 46309/12/2013

He went up about 1,000 followers. Three hours is impressive. Can't see that many people bothering to do that long.

by Anonymousreply 46409/12/2013

"Sore fingers" should be replaced by "sore finger" at the speed he was going. I suppose he's now got more important things to do now like troll tumblr and such to see if he's done a good job.

by Anonymousreply 46509/12/2013

Had to laugh at how he name dropped he was reading the Patrick Melrose books.

Cumberbatch mentioned on Access Hollywood yesterday he was reading the books so want a bet Hiddleston name dropped them today because there's a possible film role and he's trying to muscle in on Cumberbatch again.

I bet he sits watching Benedict's interviews any spare moment he has.

by Anonymousreply 46609/12/2013

R466: Really?!! Oh my God!

by Anonymousreply 46709/12/2013

Hah, that could be interesting. I wonder if there's something floating around re: those books. I've never heard of them before, and I'm bookish.

This was a boring q&a. He's answered the favorite books, music, city, food blah blah a few times now. Nothing new/interesting here. And I can't believe we might have to wait until next march/april to see olla!

by Anonymousreply 46809/12/2013

I asked him if he could burp the alphabet. Of course it did not get answered.

by Anonymousreply 46909/12/2013

Did anyone really think that he was going to spill gallons of tea?

by Anonymousreply 47009/12/2013

Nah, but saying something remotely interesting would have been nice. He basically wasted three hours of his life.

by Anonymousreply 47109/12/2013

lol "testing his typing skills"? He's a big fat liar. This posh bitch is used to typing lengthy essays, I really doubt he's really typing that slow. There must be a team of Marvel staff and his guard dog Luke heavily filtering out the questions and reading through each answer 10 times before pressing that Tweet button.

by Anonymousreply 47209/12/2013

Did he really have to answer this question? For promoting purposes, I suppose so...fucking stupid people without any google skills.

by Anonymousreply 47309/12/2013

This had to be the dullest Q&A ever. Not much more to say. A surge of 1000 followers for three hours of shilling? Meh.

by Anonymousreply 47409/12/2013

Very dull boring Q&A and the actor is as dull as ditchwater too.

by Anonymousreply 47509/12/2013

I am more convinced than ever that most of the people posting on here are former crazed fangurls of Tom's who feel wronged by him somehow, because honestly normal people wouldn't spend 3 hours tracking a twitter Q&A on an actor that they find "hammy, lazy, try hard, fameho, insecure, spoiled trust-fund baby" etc.

It seems that Hiddleston provokes some sort of near religious fervor in his fans, and then one day, he doesn't live up to their expectations anymore and they turn on him and instead of posting dreaming fanfiction fantasies on Tumblr they come here and post a bunch of snarky shit.

by Anonymousreply 47609/12/2013

Most people probably waited until it was over surely? He's a slow typer.

by Anonymousreply 47709/12/2013

Not slow at typing, probably picking and choosing the questions and getting them approved by his handlers maybe. Just a thought there. Bored and disillusioned fan girls heh (476)? LOL. Who cares, nothing else to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 47809/12/2013

I doubt it. I think the fan girls like to squee on Tumblr, but this site tends to be filled with people who are energized by snark and love to pounce.

For what it is worth, I think a lot of people who loathe TH really hate his fangirls and find fault with how he eggs them on because, apparently, he has nothing better to do. I think also the posh background combined with his utter cluelessness pushes plenty of people's buttons. Whatever.

I am surprised at how tedious and generic this Q&A was. I really thought he was going to talk about acting, his new projects, Thor 2. Say something, anything, about his creative process. No go. This was as bland as bland gets, and I agree was probably slowed by too much committee processing. It was like a half assed eHarmony profile. Whose idea was this?

by Anonymousreply 47909/12/2013

Well maybe it was not entirely his fault. Look at his fans and the questions they asked. Maybe no one with an IQ bothered, seeing how he panders to the fan girls, who only seem to care about Loki or squeeing over his laugh. I am just cynical I guess. Was hoping for something intelligent, or at least interesting or informative, not the recycled pablum shared today. I quit reading after the first 10 minutes. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 48009/12/2013

The Melrose books are about the burden of being privileged apparently.

by Anonymousreply 48109/12/2013

Here is a synopsis of the books.

by Anonymousreply 48209/12/2013

R481 omg no wonder those posh bitches are reading them.

by Anonymousreply 48309/12/2013

I was really annoyed with his answer about bullying. He's obviously hasn't been bullied or has known anyone has otherwise he'd tell them not to suffer in silence. This Q&A has proved he lives in planet oblivious

by Anonymousreply 48409/13/2013

what answers are you referring to r484?

by Anonymousreply 48509/13/2013

485: you might have to scroll down for the bullying answer but re reading it I now think he didn't understand the way in which they were asking the question

by Anonymousreply 48609/13/2013

I can't stand lazy posters who don't give the exact link to something they're referring to.

Here you go R485.

by Anonymousreply 48709/13/2013

Those are fine answers to bullying. What is the problem?

by Anonymousreply 48809/13/2013

Yeah, the bullying ones are fine. I also think he has been bullied in the past. Everyone has.

by Anonymousreply 48909/13/2013

[R488]I agree, what exactly is the problem? It is sound advice and he's not saying anything wrong. Did you want him to give the one everyone gives or should he have said "beat them up" ? I really think that was one of his really good answers and it's something not many would think to give out as advice.

by Anonymousreply 49009/13/2013

This. How does one even come up with that?

by Anonymousreply 49109/13/2013

R491, Are you referring to the "fossilized" bit? I would think that Loki's emotional pain is far from fossilized. Its alive and active.

It's still a two-dimensional character, but I guess he has to have his talking points.

by Anonymousreply 49209/13/2013

R4655 you were right on mark, he had more important things to do, going to Elton John's concert at iTunes Festival with his buddy Cumberbatch.

by Anonymousreply 49309/13/2013

I think his remark on bullying was the *only* moment in the Q&A where he said anything that was not a tepid, boring, canned interview answer.

I think it is kind of pitiful that people make such a big deal out of this milquetoast actor, and this is the best he can come up with.

And what is with his poor tired little fingers? He hardly said anything at all.

Has he never had a job where he had to plug his butt in at the computer and pound away on something all day? Where I come from blowing three hours on tweeting is called slacking off.

by Anonymousreply 49409/13/2013

Surveying even Tumblr, it sounds like only the most hardcore fangirls had anything good to say about this Q&A. Everyone else seems to be making fun of it.

I too feel that a 1000 jump in Twitter followers falls well short of what a hyped up celebrity Q&A is supposed to generate. I call this a fizzle.

TH should re-examine his numbers, by the way. According to Status People, less than half of his are real.(To be fair, this is not uncommon for celebrity accounts. A lot of spammers attempt to look legitimate by piling on a dozen or so celebrity follows, so this is not evidence that he has purchased followers. Still, if less than half of your follows as active and real, your brand is not looking quite so hot. )

by Anonymousreply 49509/13/2013

R495 is twitter popularity really that important in the movie industry? So why did he stop tweeting as much as before? Of course if the purpose was to increase the number of his followers, this Q&A fell short, but actors like Ben Whishaw, or even Cumberbatch, do very well even without twitter.

by Anonymousreply 49609/13/2013

There are a lot of publicists who feel a strong social media presence is important, and there is plenty of pressure to do this. A lot of publicist will manage Twitter for their clients if they are too busy.

Ben Whishaw and Cumberbatch are highly resistant to the idea for personal reasons, but probably get asked about it. They might get away with not participating in this because they are really well-established and respected and arguably don't need it. But if you are C-list trying to be A-list, it is one of those things you do, and if you don't, you are definitely going to get some pressure to do so.

TH had a very active Twitter account for awhile there and actively used it to egg on his worst fangirls. I think he expected a really great result from his fanbase, but it backfired. His twittering was ridiculed by just about everyone, and I think it was the beginning of a lot of people deciding that he was too try-hard not such a hot and bright thing after all.

I think he is back now because it is time to promote Thor and he is pitching for work like crazy. A silent twitter at a time like this does not look good.

Just my thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 49709/13/2013

R497 thanks.

But now I'm left with a doubt, people say he was more honest before when he tweeted a lot than he is now when he ponders every word, but if you say he was mostly pandering his fanbase then I guess he was a bit fake even back then.

I guess his real personality is a mixture of both?

One thing is for sure, he is a bit clueless about real life stuff if he didn't consider that a crazy fandom can backfire.

by Anonymousreply 49809/13/2013

R498 Just a wild guess here on my part but Hiddleston was probably just as surprised as anyone when his turn as Loki in Thor turned him into an object of crazed fangirls' desire. Up until that point his level of fame/celebrity was nil. He was probably flattered by the attention at first. He did go nuts egging them on. He was also likely unprepared for how rabid they were/are until he saw his then GF Susannah getting death threats, fangirls making GIFs of all his body parts and writing thousands of fanfics. Now he knows from experience crazy fandom does backfire. You can bet he's going to stick to his nice posh demeanor at all times. This is smart actually. He's not an A-lister who can afford to alienate anyone with outrageous comments or behavior.

by Anonymousreply 49909/13/2013

R499 It's believable that he didn't expect that kind of popularity and didn't know much about fandom dynamic, but after he broke up with Susannah he went on for almost a year with the same attitude (from what I saw reading his past tweets). He only started the sober approach recently.(after the Guinea trip?)

Considering his old tweets are still all there for reading, it's no surprise some fans think he isn't honest, going from one extreme to the other.

by Anonymousreply 50009/13/2013

I have no dog in this fight, but it should be pointed out that the guy has only been on twitter at all since the fall of 2011. That's two years.

He did begin to reign it in in January with the charity stuff. Nine months ago. So that's what - a little over a year of reveling in twitter fandom? Hardly a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 50109/13/2013

Must be difficult to know how to play it on Twitter. I'd question whether he ever needed to bother with it. This Q&A thing was only mildly interesting - nothing much about him promoting his work really, more just promoting himself as a 'personality'. Why though? I like him a great deal, but I don't see how any of this helps his career. Twitter followers don't equal offers of acting work. It's not as though he needs to be on it for networking purposes either. He seems to go to every industry event he is able to in person anyway. Can only think it's a combination of PR advice and him feeling flattered/excited by the attention?

by Anonymousreply 50209/13/2013

R501 Absolutely, that's why I was asking, because I noticed a contradiction in people saying he was more real back then though he was pandering his fans, but also saying he's fake now that he doesn't. I haven't been following him for long so I thought I missed something.

R502 I understand reaching out to your fandom once you have one, like it happens with bands, they are the people that go to see the movie. I guess maybe he tried to make it too much on himself instead of his work and that's when it got out of hand. I still think it's a bit weird for actors, since they have very little control on job offers.

by Anonymousreply 50309/13/2013

With respect to a fanbase: it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. It's made more tricky by the fact that he must realise it is about *him* and his personal attractiveness, just as much as the acting and the work. (Of course it is!)

I'm still of the opinion it would have been better not to get embroiled with the 'fandom' on Twitter in the first place. Maybe he's starting to get the balance right though.

by Anonymousreply 50409/13/2013

If he was at the Elton John concert yesterday how did he manage to answer questions until 8 pm? Did he do the Q&A in the car on his way to the festival? Maybe that's the reason he was typing at snail speed.

by Anonymousreply 50509/13/2013

Those gigs never start earlier than 8 [R505]. Literally start I mean. Not when crowds are let in according to the time on your ticket. And he only lives minutes away from that place...well several minutes I'd assume. Same as Cumberbatch I suppose, that area isn't all that huge. Hampstead ( most places in Hampstead) to Camden can be done in under half an hour by foot,even less.

by Anonymousreply 50609/13/2013

I think he's really trying to come across as someone more interesting. And like everything, when you try too hard,you come across as fake. He might actually be vastly different from how he comes across but yeah...the way he comes across is the only way you see it. It probably all comes down to insecurities

by Anonymousreply 50709/13/2013

R506 oh, I didn't know that.

Someone needs to tell Tommy boy the key to looking interesting is not caring and not opening up.

by Anonymousreply 50809/13/2013

R505 Good point. Tom probably had a lot of help from his PR team in choosing which Qs to answer. The responses were his own -- especially re: the bullying. I could see him typing in the car on the way to Elton John. More likely one of his minders did it for him.

Re: Elton John concert: are his legs as sore from dancing as his fingers were from typing and were he and BC dancing the night away with each other, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 50909/13/2013

R505 He was writing "from web" not "from iphone" the whole time so no typing in the car. I guess closeness to the venue helped.

R504 Without counting that surely compared to 2 years ago he grew up? So it's there's that too to consider in his change of attitude or new found balance.

by Anonymousreply 51009/13/2013

I'll be there to drink fangirls' tears if these two are fucking.

by Anonymousreply 51109/13/2013

With TH everyone who is having their turn in the public eye is his best friend. It tends to flit between Chris H , BC and that Levi guy. He'll totally suck up to them until its the other one's turn . it's a bit creepy he's decided to almost copy BC this time though but hey, he could be preparing for that thriller film he's going to do

by Anonymousreply 51209/13/2013

[R512] Those two probably like to go to gigs together, it's not the first time so I don't think it's sucking up if you attend a gig with a dude who lives nearby.

Sure ,he could have also gone with Gwyneth Paltrow or Gwen Stefani but that wouldn't have been appropriate

by Anonymousreply 51309/13/2013

It would be funny if he did it actually at the concert. He'd be on a high from the music plus the drink and he's friend. Could of added a few Elton lyrics to make it more interesting than his usual Shakespeare

by Anonymousreply 51409/13/2013

[R508] Explains why douches are interesting. It's sad that opening up is seen as uninteresting though, but it is

by Anonymousreply 51509/13/2013

R507 Part of his earnestness comes from the fact that he so desperately wants to be liked and to be validated. It was actually charming at first, but at this stage it really is time to back off on the eager puppy act. He might actually be everything he is trying to seem to be, but the over-eagerness to be seen as this or that comes across as try-hard, which people are going to be quick to assume is fake.

It's kind of sad because based on what I have heard others say about him, his expressions are probably genuine. He's just inept.

Anyway, I'm just tired of him. I don;t think he is a great actor, he is very hammy, and in my opinion not worth the attention.

by Anonymousreply 51609/13/2013

From Toronto Sun

Mark Daniell:

-- The most charming interview? Tom Hiddleston, who paused a roundtable so he could Google a film and reminded reporters at the end that 'Life is like an ocean's journey' before giving a salute goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 51709/13/2013

Urgh. Nauseating, empty charm and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 51809/13/2013

btw,is there any other hiddleston thread to take over when this one hits 600?

by Anonymousreply 51909/13/2013

I don't think so... I guess we should stop posting so much. Can they make us another thread?

by Anonymousreply 52009/13/2013

He's not a great actor because he plays the same role but in different scenarios .

by Anonymousreply 52109/13/2013

Here's one we could use. One does not simply stop posting

by Anonymousreply 52209/13/2013

Or you could ante up and start one of your own.

by Anonymousreply 52309/13/2013

Elton probably didn't come on till 9, so I guess he skipped Tom Odell and got there for the main show. Wouldn't have taken him long to get there.

I think he is genuinely friends with BC and has been for ages, before BC's star started to rise so dramatically, I think.

I feel sorry for him - its an impossible situation. You give too much of yourself and it encourages the crazies and you have less privacy and its harder to control your image - you give too little and you sound insincere. I'd hate to be in that position, trying to be the consummate professional and a human at the same time. Plus the sheer amount of conflicting advice on this he gets from his PR, his peers and even from reading Tumblr, Twitter and here...the poor sod must feel like he's herding cats most of the time.

I agree with an earlier poster - he can't do right for doing wrong.

by Anonymousreply 52409/13/2013

He pings.

by Anonymousreply 52509/13/2013

R525 He's not gay. He loves the ladies.

by Anonymousreply 52609/13/2013

He pings.

by Anonymousreply 52709/13/2013

R528 I'm just gonna go with the fact that he seems like a completely narcissistic, touchy-feely douchebag - thus the lack of long-term relationships.

by Anonymousreply 52909/13/2013

R528 he is not the only one at that age who hasn't had a long lasting relationship. I don't think that really means anything. He has had other girlfriends, he has just not broadcasted them to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 53009/13/2013

how do people not recognize how fake he is? he sucks up to every single person he meets, he name drops like crazy, he quotes shakespeare, random literature and foreign phrases every time he opens his mouth. he never, ever shares his genuine opinions or thoughts, just this rehearsed paul coelho shit. he isn't intelligent, he just repeats tired cliches but obviously he thinks very, very highly of himself.

I can't wait for the loki crap to be over. then his fangurls will lose interest and it's going to be a hard fall for this guy. he thinks and act like he is big, in reality he is d-list.

by Anonymousreply 53109/14/2013

Well Fassbender must be gay then too [R528]. But you wouldn't say that about him,simply because he looks different.So man up and admit you just way that based on phsyical appearence ideas you have, not because you'd have arguments.

by Anonymousreply 53209/14/2013

[R531] I think he's one of those insanely artistic and poetic feelers and human being all round. I suspect he literally feels all that poetry and literature and music in a way you couldn't imagine. I say this because I have one of those in the family. And this is based simply on what the man utters, because some of the twisted thoughts and theories comes up with can only come from him feeling those things way too intensely. That's why he doesn't come across as the cool rational smartass. Because he's the warm contemplative feeler and the way he expresses it comes across as all sorts of posh and annoying if you haven't seen the symptoms before

by Anonymousreply 53309/14/2013

I'm posting this for fun, to cheer you up.

by Anonymousreply 53409/14/2013

Leave the man alone and let him have his fun . TH is probably one of these guys that won't settle down till his older , he's too ambitious for a long term relationship at the moment and to be fair if he does care so much what the fangirls think, he'd wait until he's in his mid forties till he settles down . The attention wouldn't be as much then.

by Anonymousreply 53509/14/2013

Mmmm Fassbender. Nothing hotter than a guy with a 12inch dick who pisses himself when drunk...

by Anonymousreply 53609/14/2013

TH is back to twittering quotes over a late breakfast. All is well in Hiddlesville little Hiddlewhos.

by Anonymousreply 53709/14/2013

There are plenty of successful actors who built their careers while having a long term relationship and family in their 30s. Hugh Jackman or McAvoy for example. I don't understand the assumption that to have one you need to give up on the other.

by Anonymousreply 53809/14/2013

Unless his parents divorce affected him more than he lets on. IMO I don't think he wants one right now and wants to enjoy himself. He's still young.

by Anonymousreply 53909/14/2013

I was disagreeing on the assumption career=no long term relationship.

His parents divorce is a different matter. Wanting to enjoy himself is yet another reason. Don't put everything together like one is necessarily a consequence of the other.

by Anonymousreply 54009/14/2013

Considering that prior to Thor, he was relatively unknown, it is quite possible that he has had some serious long term relationships in the past that are just now well known.

People assume so much on this guy, but no one knows anything for sure.

To include myself in all the assuming, here is what I see: -At the core, a genuinely nice guy; well-mannered and pleasant. -A man who let himself get a bit caught up in all the hype, who enjoyed the attention and was genuinely enthusiastic about it. - A man, who though should have known better, still let the excitement of the moment influence him into fan pandering -A man who is conflicted because he enjoys the attention, but he is also beginning to understand the consequences of it.

I think he has talent, lacks leading man looks and would be better suited in character roles, or indies where his looks will be less important.

He has a nice physique though needs to gain about 10lb to really show it its best. I think he is sincere about his causes, AND I think he realizes it is good press for him. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I think he really does have a passion for poetry and Shakespeare, and quotes them for the misguided reason that he feels like he can edify his fans and turn them on to the classics.

His fans are just crazy enough to think they love Shakespeare or read Yeats in a delusional belief that it brings them closer to Tom. However, as their crush on him fades, those books will be collecting dust, while they move on their next victim/crush.

What makes Tom annoying is the fans. They are nuts. I admit I am a fan of his, but what keeps me coming here and looking at tumblr is more out of a kind of fascination with the sociology of fandoms. I hope there are some doctoral students out there who study this phenom, which is a sort of mass hysteria world wide. The Internet means that fans in Siberia are connecting and chatting about ovaries exploding with fans from Alabama. It really is quite fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 54109/14/2013

R541 Hi, Tom! Welcome to your thread. (LOL)

by Anonymousreply 54209/14/2013

Look at how adoringly Branagh looks at him.

by Anonymousreply 54309/14/2013

R541 I would like to know what people think makes his fans nutty. Please give examples instead of just something vague.

by Anonymousreply 54509/14/2013

What makes his fans nutty? Not all - just some. Writing acres of fan fiction about him - including one of him being heavily into S&M and being physically abusive? Setting up a film project specifically to engineer a meeting with him? Drawing detailed pictures of him as Loki fucking Thor? Fans flying from the US to London specifically to see him in theatre? All extreme examples.

I am a fan, and I fancy the pants off him, but even I get quite scared by some of his fans behaviour.

Can anyone tell me, apart from say Beliebers and 1D fans, are any other actors in a similar position with such an enthusiastic fan base?

by Anonymousreply 54609/14/2013

Also R541: That's a really good post.

by Anonymousreply 54709/14/2013

R544 I think the fans that just want to get his attention and do not really care for him overall are still few. There are still a lot of fans that watch everything he is in and not just his Marvel movies. They appreciate everything about him. When he is speaking to you he has this intense look that has a tendency to make you feel you are the only one that has his attention. It can be pretty flattering and personal. It is easy to get caught up in it. I have not met many people, if at all that can replicate it. It makes you want to be around him.

by Anonymousreply 54809/14/2013

R546 Fanfiction in fandoms is nothing new. I have seen fan fiction written about Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans too. But that is just what it is. It's FICTION. Just like slash in fandoms is nothing new. About the film project I can't really say because I don't really keep up with that. If someone has the money to fly to London to see the play, well that is their business. Just because you deem it silly to do so doesn't mean that it is.

by Anonymousreply 54909/14/2013

Whoa. I just noticed that this fucking thread is almost to the magic 600, where it will stop.

This Hiddleston guy seems okay. Talented, attractive, well-mannered and apparently he has a sense of humor.

But seriously, 600 posts about him? I'm not slogging through that lot but I'm presuming you are actual-girl fangurls. Seems as though a Hiddleston fan site might suit your needs a bit better than our Datalounge, no?

by Anonymousreply 55009/14/2013

These are very good posts R541 and R544. Ithink you're right on the money.

I suppose his new interest in twitter is down to his press starting up again.

by Anonymousreply 55109/14/2013

R548 Great, well when he inevitably tanks as an actor, because he is not very good,he has a career waiting for him as a cult leader.

This is exactly the sort of thing that inclines me to think of him as extremely manipulative and douchy.

by Anonymousreply 55209/14/2013

I think 541 is more likely to be Luke than TH you only have to look at those typing skills the other day. No fan would write like that. You can never tell ones personality unless you know them for a long time. TH dispite his runaway mouth tends to keep things close to his chest- too close that it winds up the fangirlies. Yes he baits them but now it's becoming to a point where he's using them and some clever ones are beginning to see it. As his outside image isn't as consistent as BC or Fassbender (example) he's going to run into a whole load of trouble. As a former fan of another actor who did this, I can say from experience that being lied to and manipulated by your idol is not nice.

by Anonymousreply 55309/14/2013

Fan fic is harmless. I am more alarmed by the Project Wendy psycho and how TH enables and seems to get off on, the worst of his fans excesses.

As far as crazy ass fandom goes, I am more familiar with the Harry Potter fandom which went bonafide psycho at one point and became a magnet for con artists (one of who managed to put one over on a couple of the LOTR actors by inventing a fake charity). This is a pretty extreme example though. Google "The sordid tale of Victoria Bitter" if you are interested.

by Anonymousreply 55409/14/2013

(Oops, sorry that was LOTR fandom, though I can say that the Harry Potter fandom was just as cray cray if not even more so.)

by Anonymousreply 55509/14/2013

I haven't really kept up with the film project by his fans but I did see some of it. I kind of feel that Tom isn't really enabling some of his fans to get off on it. I think he likes being needed and feels as though he might be like a mentor to the ones doing the project. I think he likes the idea of himself being a mentor and helper to others.

by Anonymousreply 55609/14/2013

you can always tell when TH fans from other gossip sites are around, such long and detailed essays about a man you dislike, it's very touching.

by Anonymousreply 55709/14/2013

R557 is the only sane person amongst the last 20 or so.

by Anonymousreply 55809/14/2013

Are you insinuating something, r543?

by Anonymousreply 55909/14/2013

I still think he's a good guy trying to please everybody too much. I think some if y'all are reading to much into it. And I don't think flying far is silly but it is extreme behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 56009/14/2013

Whatshisname Cumberbatch was on Graham Norton's show in London. There were women, evidently known as Cumberbitches, who had flown in from Asia and from elsewhere around the world - astonishing distances - just to see him on that chat show.

Clearly they're insane as are many of the people posting in this thread. Again, I suggest that a Hiddleston fansite for straight women would be more appropriate for your public jilling off.

Up and coming actors feed their hysterical frau fanbase in order to boost their name recognition and their asking price. Hiddleston isn't breaking any new ground here but my god, I feel sorry for that poor bastard.

by Anonymousreply 56109/14/2013

So anyone being nice about him is insane? Erm...

by Anonymousreply 56209/14/2013

sorry, but I have to disagree, flying from the US to London to watch him in a play is crazy. And the fake film project, that is supposedly a documentary and people are donating money to is not only crazy, but possibly illegal as well. The people involved have created a website asking for money to sponsor this mockumentary so they can go over and meet Tom by pretending to interview him for the film. It is completely nuts and I hope that he doesn't fall for it.

There are even people on tumblr who claim to be true worshipers of the God Loki, as if he were a real entity.

not to pick on women, as men can be over the top nutty fans for sports teams. They dress up, paint their bodies, act the fool, and travel great distances to see their teams play. But it is all just a variation of cray cray

by Anonymousreply 56309/14/2013

Once this thread reaches 600 remember to move to this thread everyone

by Anonymousreply 56409/14/2013

mte R563. It's beyond excessive. And men are just as cray when it comes to things they like. It's just human cray cray nature really.

by Anonymousreply 56509/14/2013

Well it's just like any fans of anything. You have your casual fans and then your more hardcore fans. R563 I think peoples relgious beliefs about Loki is a branch of paganism. Maybe you should look it up. I think Tom has already been interviewed for the documentary film anyway.

by Anonymousreply 56609/14/2013

Can someone explain this documentary and how did Tom get involved?

by Anonymousreply 56709/15/2013

It is called 'The Reel Britain'. From what I understand, a group of American Tumblr Anglophile fangirls who have no connection to the UK decided to make an independent documentary about the history of British film, which is weird in itself. They tried to make it look professional but it just screams shady. They must have contacted Luke and asked if Tom would agree to be interviewed. He did, so they were granted one on one time with him, which was basically the main goal.

They set up a indiegogo donation website and started begging for money. Lots of other fangirls donated. We are talking 15,000 dollars here, not just a few bucks. They used this money to fly to the UK, stay in a luxury hotel and they interviewed a handful of other people who work for movie magazines, and behind the scenes of the biz as well as the beloved Tom.

The girl who did it was 'godofbadassery' on twitter. Remember her? They had a little back and forth on twitter once and she had already flew all over the States to meet him so she is a confirmed fangirl.

You can see a small clip on Vimeo. It's so amateur it's laughable. They didn't even hire a proper cameraman for recording.

by Anonymousreply 56809/15/2013

Actually I should clarify. The first fundraising goal and trip was 12,000 dollars.

Then they decided they needed to make the film into a full length feature, which requires another 15,000 dollars and a second trip to London to attend some movie awards in October. Money well spent...?

by Anonymousreply 56909/15/2013

When. This thread gets full up, where do we go?

by Anonymousreply 57009/15/2013

R570 For real? Just scroll up and read R564 reply.

by Anonymousreply 57109/15/2013

Of all things I've read here, [R568] has got to be the most insane. Not the post, but the actions of those people.

What I find even more insane is that they actually raised that money and that I'm sure they're actually going to raise the next 15,000 too. It's completely arse behavior to abuse someone's fanaticism like this ( read, stealing money from crazed fangirls) and especially in such an unprofessional way. Seriously, americans are making a documentary about british cinema culture? The concept itself is laughable

by Anonymousreply 57209/15/2013

R568 Was that this year or last year? This video shows her meeting him for the ~first time. Belch.

by Anonymousreply 57309/15/2013

It was several months ago, in March. The girls tweeted about getting drunk in London bars and how their fancy hotel had wifi in the bathroom... not exactly ploughing their funds into the film itself...

The 'second phase' of funding has just finished, interestingly. I get second hand embarrassment for them. I was reading her tweeting eagerly about how much she LOVES 'scottish cinema and culture' lolz.

by Anonymousreply 57409/15/2013

The whole 'documentary' is a joke. Anyone with half a brain could see that. Just makes me question TH all the more. Surely he could see through this. If not, my God his ego must blind him at all times. Clueless does not even cover it, concerning this debacle. I think TH owes about $30,000 to his crazed fans who were duped into making a few fan girls wet dreams come true. Seriously. Refund it TH so they may seek help.

by Anonymousreply 57509/15/2013

Alone, in a cinema

by Anonymousreply 57609/15/2013

That girl not only sounds but physically looks deranged. Like had I been given the mocumentary story with a bunch of mugshots and were told to pick one possible suspect, her crazy face would probably be number 1 on my list. The hair, the gestures.. 0 psycho. Total bunny boiler.

by Anonymousreply 57709/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!