Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

About New Mattresses and Box Springs....

Need some quick info. Getting Serta Queen Plus Deluxe somethingorother at Sams club tomorrow for about $625. It goes for $1,100 at the mall.

This is mattress only, replacing 18 year old mattress. Current box spring is 18 years old, SHOULD I GET A NEW BOX SPRING OR IS THAT JUST A RACKET?

by Anonymousreply 1808/03/2013

As long as the old foundation is still in good shape I'd keep it.

That's what they're called these days "foundations" because the took the springs out of the a few decades ago. When I bought my super plush set a few years ago I was told this by numerous, annoying sales persons.

Basically it's cheap wood with a layer of foam around the parameter and cloth to match the mattress. For this $30 contraption they usually ask up to $300.

by Anonymousreply 108/02/2013

Do a quick google search on box springs and many people say a box springs are unnecessary. Apparently they are not used in Asia or Europe. I use an antique iron bed frame with 3/4 inch plywood over the rails on which the old coiled exposed bed springs would be suspended. My mattress is fine after 18 years of use. I do rotate it frequently. Do you suppose that box springs may be just another way to separate you from your money?

by Anonymousreply 208/02/2013

Let's try that link again

by Anonymousreply 308/02/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 408/02/2013

R4, you are NOT invited over with the other boys for the next sleep over.

by Anonymousreply 508/02/2013

R4 has to get a hazmat crew to take away his old mattress when he gets a new one.

by Anonymousreply 608/02/2013

What do you need a box spring for? A lot of new bed frames don't require one.

(my bed (frame) costs about the same as your mattress, and you only need to use a mattress (no box spring) with it.)

Just use the money u will save on a better mattress.

by Anonymousreply 708/02/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 808/02/2013

Thank you for your donation to the Walton family, op!

by Anonymousreply 908/02/2013

Have a carpenter build you a raised,plywood frame, with a flat top, this will support your mattress very well. Make it tall enough so you can have a lot of storage space underneath. Been sleeping that way for decades, and it works fine, the support is amazing. He'll probably have to build it on site, a temporary, minor inconvenience. Sweet dreams. Save your pennies for a TempurPedic NEXT time. Well worth the investment.

by Anonymousreply 1008/02/2013

The beds at Ikea are raised, and you can store things under most of them.

Seriously, just go to an ikea store and check them out. They have designed wooded slats that are strong, but easy to transport home and install yourself. I have redecorated my bedroom several times, and it is SO easy to move my bed frame around. I honestly don't know why people even bother with, or consider box springs AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 1108/02/2013

Good luck finding sheets. I finally bought a set of imperial queen sheets off Amazon. They aren't the softest I've had, but I don't rip my fingernails out when putting them on the bed.

by Anonymousreply 1208/02/2013

I need to replace my mattress - what should I get?

by Anonymousreply 1308/02/2013

r13 Hock the family silver and get yourself a TempurPedic. Best mattress I've ever slept on. You can get the standard flat one to use on a platform or boxspring. But they also have ones that the head and foot areas can be raised or lowered, according to your personal preference.

by Anonymousreply 1408/02/2013

I want one of those Niagra beds like you see on TV. I want to raise myself up with the touch of a button.

by Anonymousreply 1508/02/2013

R13, google the problems with that that Tempurpedic bed---there are a lot. First of all, they DO sag. Not the Temper material, but the other foam shit that is under it. The Temper material ages poorly!! In a couple years, it will not be NEARLY as supple as when first purchased. In fact, it will be on the hard side.

And finally Tempur material has a big problem, it DOES NOT DISSIPATE BODY HEAT!! Heat builds up under your body and it is hot. People call it hot fanny problem and you can google that. How do I know all this? I googled these problems after my 4" thick Tempur mattress overlay came down with all these problems.

by Anonymousreply 1608/03/2013

r16 Never have had any of the problems you have encountered, my mattress is more than 10yrs old. Still as springy as ever; never any "hot spots"(which WERE a problem with conventional mattresses) Your mattress being the overlay type might be the problem? My mattress is approximately 8 inches thick. The go-with pillows are the best, the only pillows that I don't get neck-throb with. Fitted sheets are easy to find. With the flat ones, which I use for the top sheet, I sew a fabric panel to the bottom, so I can tuck it under the mattress better( I tend to pull quite a lot on the top sheet when I'm sleeping) Everyone I've ever recommended a TempurPedic to has thanked me. I hope you solve your problem quickly.

by Anonymousreply 1708/03/2013

I had the pleasure of taking a nap on my roommate's Tempurpedic mattress once and I swear to God I went into a coma! I woke up not even knowing who or where I was...it was amazing! I so want one. I did spring for a Tempurpedic pillow (bought it on eBay for $75 vs the $150 they cost in stores) and it is UH-MAZE-ING. It's like putting your head on a giant block of modeling clay! I've had it for over three years now and still going strong. I did buy a waterproof cover for it so that I don't ruin it with drool like I used to with all my other pillows. It's still pretty as new in there!

by Anonymousreply 1808/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.