Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Let's talk about Peggy Cass

Was she a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 8108/06/2013

She was totally fabulous, but she did indeed love the pussy-play

by Anonymousreply 108/01/2013

Well her husband died this year, not that that proves anything...

by Anonymousreply 208/01/2013

She was definitely a fag hag.

by Anonymousreply 308/01/2013

The eponymous heroine of the hit Broadway play MARY, MARY by Jean Kerr was based on Peggy Cass.

I believe that character was straight.

Btw, that play is unreviveable.

by Anonymousreply 408/01/2013

Damn, and I thought I was old. Peggy Cass? Really? Who's up next, Kitty Kilgallen?

by Anonymousreply 508/01/2013

I'll never tell.

by Anonymousreply 608/01/2013

Well she never sucked my cock

(and we shared a dressing room while filming AUNTIE MAME)

by Anonymousreply 708/01/2013

Believe it or not, in the old DL days (a few years ago), we had long and interesting and funny threads on Dorothy Kilgallen, Arlene Francis and Kitty Carlisle.

I doubt that this one have anything new by tomorrow afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 808/01/2013

She came to my hick town--she was doing summer stock: Goodbye, My Fancy. Long, dull play. I think Joan Crawford did the movie version.

I met her at some event after the show. Very nice person. I remember that she was tiny, and had on the most exaggerated false eyelashes I had ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 908/02/2013

I remember the Arlene Francis thread where she killed someone by dropping a potted geranium on their head from 17 stories up. Was that around the time that Paul Lynde's b/f went flying out the window of his abode?

by Anonymousreply 1008/02/2013

I'm assuming that she played the 'broad' role in the Film Noirs.

by Anonymousreply 1108/02/2013

She was on "to tell the truth"

by Anonymousreply 1208/02/2013

Loved Peggy Cass on "To Tell The Truth." If I recall, she sat beside Bill Cullen.

by Anonymousreply 1308/02/2013

As a Mystery Guest on "What's My Line?".

by Anonymousreply 1408/02/2013

Peggy Cass was a regular guest on the Jack Paar Show. That was back in the days when late night TV actually entertained viewers rather than just provide a forum for celebrities to hype their latest project.

by Anonymousreply 1508/02/2013

She was kind of the Fran Liebowitz of her day.

by Anonymousreply 1708/02/2013

Her credits on aren't very substantial; she didn't get much of a career bump from "Auntie Mame." It's interesting to look back at an actor's career and see how much (or how little) a big or splashy part helped them over the long term.

Of course, most actors would be delighted to work as much as Cass did.

by Anonymousreply 1808/02/2013

I heard she was hung. We are talking Bea Arthur hung here!!!

by Anonymousreply 1908/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 2008/02/2013

[quote]Peggy Cass was a regular guest on the Jack Paar Show. That was back in the days when late night TV actually entertained viewers rather than just provide a forum for celebrities to hype their latest project.

I miss those days. Even as recent as Johnny Carson (and that's not all that recent now), celebrities as guests on talk shows could carry on a conversation. They were guests because they could entertain and be interesting and witty.

Now, however, celebrities can barely talk to keep your atention, and they're never on a show unless they're promoting their latest movie. That's not a bad thing, but today's guests are boring, have nothing to say. They lack star quality to make you want to watch.

Not to mention, most of today's hosts, e.g., Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Fallon are terribble and cannot conduct an interview.

by Anonymousreply 2108/02/2013

BTW, was Barbara Bel Geddes a lesbian? I had a mild crush on her as a teen

by Anonymousreply 2208/02/2013

She did 42nd Street on Broadway. I saw her in it she was good.

by Anonymousreply 2308/02/2013

Peggy is a hoot in a movie called "If It's Tuesday, It Must Be Belgium" about a group of crass American tourists on a 18-day bus trip all thru Europe.

The divine Suzanne Pleshette plays their guide, who falls in love with a young and hunky Ian McShane (many years before "Deadwood").

The rest of the travelers are a who's who of now-forgotten yet terrific comic actors: Mildred Natwick, Norman Fell (Mr. Roper), Pamela Britton (My Favorite Martian), Reva Rose, Marty Ingels (Mr. Shirley Jones), Sandy Baron (Seinfeld), etc etc.

Rent it and laugh

by Anonymousreply 2408/02/2013

Peggy won a Tony for AUNTIE MAME, and got an Oscar nomination for it too - she lost the Oscar to Wendy Hiller in "Separate Tables".

by Anonymousreply 2508/02/2013

Who can forget Peggy's standout performance in "Gidget Goes Hawaiian".

by Anonymousreply 2608/02/2013

Peggy posed for the photos of First Lady Martha Dinwoody Butterfield in Patrick Dennis' spoof (a la Little Me) First Lady.

Dagmar was in it too. Sort of funny but not as good as Little Me.

by Anonymousreply 2708/02/2013

I think she also starred on B'way opposite Paul Ford in A Thurber Carnival.

by Anonymousreply 2808/02/2013

[quote]First Lady Martha Dinwoody Butterfield

by Anonymousreply 2908/02/2013

I love you, R24!

by Anonymousreply 3008/02/2013

On a revival cast album of a cole porter musical, 50 million Frenchman, she does a wonderful "the queen of terra haute".

by Anonymousreply 3108/02/2013

In "If It's Tuesday . . . " Suzanne Pleshette played a tourist from Minnesouta who falls in love with the young and hunky tour guide Ian McShane.

by Anonymousreply 3208/02/2013

Did she ever play Gooch in the musicale?

by Anonymousreply 3308/02/2013

What was Peggy's marital status?

by Anonymousreply 3408/02/2013

R34, she was married to a former Jesuit priest who started a a school for low-income boys. He died earlier this year.

by Anonymousreply 3508/02/2013

Peggy Cass did a great deal of summer stock. I saw her in "Bells are Ringing" around 1960 and two decades later in a play about an older woman who falls for a younger man.

Jack Paar returned to TV occasionally after he retired around 1965. Peggy Cass was usually on those later shows.

by Anonymousreply 3608/02/2013

Many of Jack Paar's favorite guests were witty actors like Peggy, who never had much to plug. They were just there to make entertaining conversation. It was a different world.

by Anonymousreply 3708/02/2013

1979 Google news archive article about her career at the link.

She strikes me as someone who just loved to perform. The game/talk shows gave her the visibility she needed to create a name that would get attention in a small town/city stock production.

Can actors still have lifelong careers of this sort?

by Anonymousreply 3808/03/2013

Towards the end of her life, she toured in AGNES OF GOD, playing the role of the Mother Superior

by Anonymousreply 3908/03/2013

3 Queens and a REAL woman:

Hayden Roarke (Dr. Bellows on I DREAM OF JEANNIE), famous female impersonator Charles Pierce, Broadway dancer Lee Roy Reams, and Peggy.

by Anonymousreply 4008/03/2013

"Jack Paar returned to TV occasionally after he retired around 1965. Peggy Cass was usually on those later shows."

Paar made an unsuccessful late night talk show comeback on ABC in 1973, with Peggy as his announcer/sidekick.

by Anonymousreply 4108/03/2013

According to Kitty Carlisle's autobiography, she and Peggy got along fine but traveled in different worlds. I'm embarrassed to know this, so please don't tell anyone I told you.

by Anonymousreply 4208/03/2013

Kitty Carlisle born Catherine Conn to German Jewish parents. Her father was the mayor of Shreveport Louisiana. Her father was also a Confederate soldier. There is a book out there right now about her playwright husband Moss Hart.

by Anonymousreply 4308/03/2013

Moss was gay as a goose and Kitty was well aware.

by Anonymousreply 4408/03/2013

During Peggy's earlier marriage to a prominent theatrical manager, it was her custom to get very drunk and have sex with various men. Judging from this, I would think that she was not a lesbian. Despite her behavior during this marriage, she was very bitter about his decision to leave her, and discussed it on several talk shows. This was in the late '60's.

by Anonymousreply 4508/03/2013

R41: I am not sure I would call Jack Paar's 1973 late-night talk show an all-out attempt at a comeback. Dick Cavett's ratings were sinking, so ABC came up with the idea of one week of Paar, one week of Cavett and two weeks of non-talk show programs. It may have seemed like a good idea at the time....

Paar and Cass may have been able to establish the old magic again if the show was broadcast every week night, but it did not work as just one week a month. Both Paar and Cass had lost their edge, and the show seemed dated and old fashioned.

by Anonymousreply 4608/03/2013

Kitty always came across as the epitome of Upper East Side New York WASP. That is interesting to know about her background.

Peggy could have played Peppermint Patty in a Peanuts Live Action Movie. She seemed unrefined and no nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 4708/03/2013

The Kitty Carlisle we saw on TV was as much a self creation as Joan Crawford, although a much nicer Joan Crawford.

A friend of my mom's when to high school in Masachusetts with Peggy Cass. What we saw in TV was pretty much the way Cass was in high schoom -- class clown, snart with a great sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 4808/03/2013

Everybody's getting fat, except Peggy Cass.

by Anonymousreply 4908/03/2013

I had no idea Peggy did so much acting in stock. I wonder why she was never cast in Broadway shows after Mame?

by Anonymousreply 5008/04/2013

What was Orson Beane's claim to fame?

by Anonymousreply 5108/04/2013

Oh dear. Is pudgy Barbara still posting on Datalounge? Still angry at all those parts I took from you sweetie?

by Anonymousreply 5208/04/2013

Orson Bean was once the flavor of the month as far as juveniles on Broadway were concerned.

He starred in Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? with Jayne Mansfield and Subways Are for Sleeping with Phyllis Newman, among other shows.

by Anonymousreply 5308/04/2013

Kitty's mother, Hortense Conn, was a huge snob who was obsessed with breaking into WASP society, and she encouraged the family to "pass" for Gentile. She sent Kitty to a snooty finishing school in New Orleans, then took her to Europe to make her début in hopes of her landing a royal husband.

Once when Kitty came home for a visit after becoming famous, she and Hortense were riding in a taxi. After the cabbie dropped off Kitty, he asked Hortense, "That's Kitty Carlisle, right? Isn't she Jewish?" Hortense replied, "She may be, but I'M not."

by Anonymousreply 5408/04/2013

Anyone remember "The Hathaways"?

by Anonymousreply 5508/04/2013

A 1960's sitcom starring Peggy and Jack Weston.

by Anonymousreply 5608/04/2013

Orson Bean's daughter was married to Andrew Breitbart.

The granddaughter of one of the founding members of the ACLU Being married to Andrew Breitbart shows how far this country has deteriorated in a few generations.

by Anonymousreply 5708/04/2013

Orson is married to Alley Mills, who played the mother on "The Wonder Years."

by Anonymousreply 5808/04/2013

A friend has a set of DVDs about the best of Merv Griffin. Lots of famous celebs who could talk about all kinds of things without even a mention of their most recent project. There are three or four DVDs in the set. Today's stars are totally dull when they're on talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 5908/04/2013

Kitty and Moss Hart's daughter, Catherine, is my doctor on the Upper East Side. A great doctor, but poor dear inherited her father's looks. She does have great stories to tell about her famous parents - one of the reasons I love going to see her.

by Anonymousreply 6008/04/2013

Do none of you watch the Graham Norton Show? It's not a bastion of witty repartee, but it's not wall-to-wall promotion of X, Y or Z's latest product.

by Anonymousreply 6108/04/2013

I love Monday Monday and California dreaming! I would have loved more solo albums from her

by Anonymousreply 6208/04/2013

Orson Bean was the young husband in the huge Broadway hit of the early 1960s Never Too Late starring Maureen Sullivan and Paul Ford.

Like Mary, Mary it's unreviveable.

by Anonymousreply 6308/04/2013

God, I was in a production of Never Too Late in high school--what the world needed, 16s year old in a menopause comedy! It's not a very good play--I can't imagine why anyone would consider reviving it.

by Anonymousreply 6408/04/2013

R63 - why is MARY, MARY unrevivable?

Isn't it the dramatic adaption of life here at DataLounge?

by Anonymousreply 6508/04/2013

And that, r21, is why I love Russell Brand.

by Anonymousreply 6608/04/2013

"Orson Bean was the young husband in the huge Broadway hit of the early 1960s Never Too Late starring Maureen Sullivan and Paul Ford."

TCM airs the 1965 film version every so often, with Maureen O'Sullivan, Paul Ford, Jim Hutton and Connie Stevens . . . extremely dated.

by Anonymousreply 6708/05/2013

Never Too Late ran for an insanely long time on Broadway--hard to tell why? I guess the ultimate "tired business man's" comedy. Well, if it worked for Plautus and Terence....

by Anonymousreply 6808/05/2013

R57, Orson Bean is a right-wing nut job himself. He has often disparaged his father and his father's politics while admiring Breitbart's. Very disappointing to those of us who, as children, enjoyed his banter and his drawings on TTTT.

by Anonymousreply 6908/05/2013

The Jesuits did love Peggy Cass. And her money!

by Anonymousreply 7008/05/2013

[quote]She was totally fabulous, but she did indeed love the pussy-play

When I first read the nonsense at R1, I was surprised by the misinformation. But I didn't realize how offensive the use of "but" was, as though there is anything inconsistent about being both fabulous and a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 7108/05/2013

Is she the one who had her legs cut off due to diabetes?

by Anonymousreply 7208/05/2013

R72, that was Totie Fields

by Anonymousreply 7308/05/2013

No, that was Dody Goodman.

by Anonymousreply 7408/05/2013

No, it was Totie Fields.

by Anonymousreply 7508/05/2013

It was Porgy.

by Anonymousreply 7608/06/2013

Totie Fields had only one leg amputated. Thereafter she was qualified to play dual roles in the remake of "Moby Dick," as both Ahab and the whale.

by Anonymousreply 7708/06/2013

"Kitty always came across as the epitome of Upper East Side New York WASP."

Are you fucking nuts, r47? On the contrary, Kitty came across as the epitome of Upper WEST Side Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 7808/06/2013

Peggy won a big lawsuit against a NYC hospital that performed an operation on the wrong knee. No amputations.

by Anonymousreply 7908/06/2013

They DID perform amputations, R79. But not on her.

by Anonymousreply 8008/06/2013

DUH, r80.

by Anonymousreply 8108/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!